View Full Version : Going to pickup BF:BC2 if I can get quick clarification....

10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Okay, so MOH wasn't what I expected (a newer version of BF:BC2) and as mentioned last week, I'm looking at BF:BC2 to compliment Black Op's..

I've played BF on PC and PS3, but not BF:BC2 other than the demo.

Before I run out and buy a copy tonight, I need a little assistance with clarifying some info first.

First, BF3 won't be released until late 2011 or early 2012...right? (no sense in buying BF:BC2 if the new game will be released in a month or two.

If I buy a used copy of BF:BC2, most likely the VIP code will be used and I'll need a new one. I can purchase a new one through the game menu (accessing Playstation Store) for like $15? Is that right?

Once I have the VIP code, it should allow me to download all 6 of the DLC's listed here http://www.battlefieldbadcompany2.com/vip . Right?

What about the kit upgrades and/or kit shortcuts? Is that included using the original VIP code? If not, how much? (I've searched google and the battlefield website and haven't been able to confirm this info).

What about the onslaught mode? Is that included using the original VIP code? If not, how much?

What about BF:BC2 Vietnam? Is this included or another additional cost?

I can buy a used Limited Edition copy of the game locally for just under $30, so I'd be looking at like $45 total after the VIP code purchase assuming that the one VIP code will unlock everything that I expect....is that the case?

If not, would spending the $60 on the Ultimate Edition provide access to all of this?

I have a couple of buddies (non MP members) that I regularly play COD with who are interested in BF:BC2 with me if I can get the correct info.

Thanks in advance.

10-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Buy the limited edtion for $30 if you can. Download the VIP for $15 and your ahead. You will get all the VIP downloads, plus the limited edition comes with Onslaught and BF 1943 included on the disc.

BF3 is at least a year away. I doubt it would show up within 6 months.

10-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure when BF3 is being released, but I do believe it's still a ways out. Vietnam is the next thing coming out in the next month or so and I honestly don't know if that is download or a new disc. :( but it will be an additional cost.

If you get a used copy you can buy vip access code from the store for around 15 bucks. Yeah this will give you access to download all maps.
Onslaught also is not included in vip and is an additional cost. I would recommend against getting onslaught. Most people didn't like it and not many people play it.
If you buy the weapon upgrades I believe they are around 7 bucks for everything. But hey that's part of the fun right, leveling your weapons hehe.

I haven't run the numbers, but it may be the ultimate edition may be around the same cost as buying used and buying all the additional content. If you left out some of it like onslaught, weapons upgrades you may come out ahead on the used copy. Hope some of that helps. This game was the only game that really had me hooked for such a long time. I've played every CoD since 1 and this game had it's grasp on me like no other.

Toxic Avenger72
10-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Really depends if you want Onslaught mode or not.

Used limited edition ($30) + VIP ($15) = $45 + Onslaught (on XBOX, it is 800 MS points or ~$10) = $55

New Ultimate edition = (~$60). Ultimate edition comes with a VIP code, Onslaught, and BF1943.

Vietnam is an expansion pack so it will cost extra.

10-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Personally, I'd just spend the extra couple of bucks for a new copy of the Ultimate Edition, which to my knowledge includes everything. This way you have a brand new copy and some assurance that it will be just what you are looking for with no surprises.

I'll disagree with Beano regarding Onslaught. I would have benefited from having Onslaught right from the get-go. The advantage (IMO) to Onslaught is the ability to setup a totally private match all on your own and use it as a training tool to learn all of the weapons and vehicles. I found this particularly helpful when trying to learn to fly the helis, but you can also experiment with all of the other "toys" that BC2 has to offer. I would agree with Beano that actually playing the Onslaught maps gets tired REAL quick - again, the real benefit is in using it as a training tool.

10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I think these guys have you covered. BFBC 3 is a long ways away, so don't count on that any time soon. BC: Vietnam doesn't come out until Christmas, and there seems to be some disagreement as to who will be picking that up when it comes out (depending on how much it costs - if its $30 a lot of people will pick it up, if its $60 there will be a lot of people passing on it).

I'd echo Daylite and just pick up a new copy of the LE if your budget allows it. If you're trying to save, just get BC2 and the VIP. Onslaught is useful but not necessary, and the unlocks come fairly quickly. BC2 seems to have a lot of staying power - I definitely don't think you'll regret getting it.

10-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Looks like I'll pickup a used copy tonight and then just get a VIP code. I don't need Onslaught or the gun unlocks (yet) so I'll save the cash.

10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
If the game comes with the old code, you could try and be sneaky. Call EA support and say you just bought the game new and the code doesn't work. I've heard some people have tried this and EA just gave then a new code over the phone. I know for a fact they did this with Mass Effect 2 because there was some problems with the codes that came with the games.

At worst they tell you your out of luck and to return the game, so you end dishing out $15. At best they give you a new code and you pocket $15.

Sneaky but as others have said, it doesn't seem fair to have to pay they extra for something that should be free.

10-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Picked up a used copy last night for $29.99, no VIP codes in any of the cases for me to try (or at the Game Stop across the street, so someone already stole my idea). I saw the codes there just a week ago...

Got home, popped the disk in and promptly waited about 30 minutes for a 451 MB update to download and install.

$15 later I had a VIP code and was in a game.

My buddy (djtadow) did the same and was already in a game, so I just joined not knowing anything....game type, controls, maps, weapons, etc... I believe that we were playing Conquest (long game similar to domination but with 4 flags on most boards) and got in like 3 games in like an hour and 45 minutes. I was really surprised at the length of the matches.

In all, I like the game. I'm a little more familiar with the game play than my buddy because I've played BF before and just had MOH last week, but I'm still not used to the different controls, slower movement, and other differences than COD. I like that it's more team oriented than COD so it's a good FPS compliment to COD, however my biggest gripe so far is the lack of going prone.

My K/D for the night was a 0.69 and since I'm starting with bottom of the barrel weapons with no attachments, I don't think that's too bad since I had ZERO experience with the maps, weapons, and controls. We won 3 of the 4 matches that I played and twice I finished in the top 4 in points on my team.

My final game was on the old ship yard map that had lots of tanks. I had trouble finding enemy most of the game and while running around I was owned by a few tanks (only went 3/11 in that match).

I look forward to playing with all of you and I think my MW2 disk might just collect dust for a while as I expect to play this most of the time atleast until Black Ops is released next month.

10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey Wilmh, sounds like you are a BC2 natural! I've played this game for over 300 hours and my K/D is only .87. You're right about the length of the matches, they are pretty Epic. I always have to think whether or not I have time for a match before I start a new one. Just yesterday I was playing some rush with CELockwood and had to bail mid-round because my wife was calling me for dinner.

Hope to see you on the BF soon.

*Edit: Oops, just realized you are playing on the PS3. Won't see you on the BF, but hope you get as much enjoyment out of this game as I have.

10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
RUSH = Faster matches
CONQUEST = Epic Matches

10-21-2010, 12:26 PM
RUSH = Faster matches
CONQUEST = Epic Matches
Thanks. I figured that out today. I was obviously playing Conquest...lots of fun if you have time for a full game.

Toxic Avenger72
10-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey wilhm,

I just remembered something about Onslaught mode that may interest you. Even though some people don't like it, you can start a private match with just yourself and practice flying the choppers. The apache is at Atacama and the blackhawk is on ilsa. Another thing that helped me was to change the controller configuration for air vehicles to BC1. Changing the controller configuration and flying practice greatly improved my flying skills.