PDA

View Full Version : Desperation Strategy

ProfUnderDog
10-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Last night saw a really good desperation strategy. While we are all familiar with C4 and the ATV, the weakness has always been triggering the C4 at the MCOM usually because the driver has to get off in order to trigger the C4. Last night with a couple of tickets left the other team had two players on the ATV and the passenger triggered the C4 while they were both still on it. Sure it means suicide and team kill, but it got the job done. So something to watch out for and something to try.

An obvious variation would be to treat the ATV the same way we treat the UAV and have the driver all out to the trigger man to detonate. Frankly, I think this one would work even better as the c4 will survive and the camera will still be on even if the driver is shot.

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Last night saw a really good desperation strategy. While we are all familiar with C4 and the ATV, the weakness has always been triggering the C4 at the MCOM usually because the driver has to get off in order to trigger the C4. Last night with a couple of tickets left the other team had two players on the ATV and the passenger triggered the C4 while they were both still on it. Sure it means suicide and team kill, but it got the job done. So something to watch out for and something to try.

An obvious variation would be to treat the ATV the same way we treat the UAV and have the driver all out to the trigger man to detonate. Frankly, I think this one would work even better as the c4 will survive and the camera will still be on even if the driver is shot.

I haven't done the passenger trigger (pretty clever), but I've have treated the atv as the UAV, and it works great. Not sure why we don't do it more.

TheFreak75
10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I love putting C4 on the ATV as well as the UAV. the only thing I've noticed is that when I'm driving and I'm getting close to the target It automatically gets me off the ATV, I don't know why but it always does that.

DayliteMag
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM

I think we've more or less done this in the past, haven't we? But, yeah, totally agree its a good technique and something we should consider more often. Certainly, when we use the UAV we always call out to the other team/squad mates so that as much C4 as possible gets loaded on before take off, but not so much with the ATV. I admit that more times than not I will just load up an ATV and take off without giving anyone else a chance to place some C4 on the ATV. I don't have an explanation for why this is other than perhaps its just a hasty decision, while getting the UAV definitely requires teamwork. In the future, I am going to be more thoughtful when C4'ing an ATV.

DayliteMag
10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I love putting C4 on the ATV as well as the UAV. the only thing I've noticed is that when I'm driving and I'm getting close to the target It automatically gets me off the ATV, I don't know why but it always does that.

Hmmm, I've never noticed that. Very unusual. I'm pretty sure that I always have to hit the "B" button (XBOX) to dismount from the ATV and only then can I hit the plunger. In my experience, if I can make it to the MCOM then 99% of the time I will be able to dismount and blow the C4. The problems usually arise BEFORE getting to the MCOM (as they should) when the defenders either shoot me off the ATV, or I hit an AT mine. Using the technique that Underdog wrote about could, on occasion, solve the problem of being shot off of the ATV. While not always the case, it has happened to me where I have been shot off of the ATV at the very last second and in the Kill Cam I can see the ATV rolling right at the MCOM. If you had a "trigger-man/woman" sitting back in our AO then they could detonate the C4.

TheFreak75
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
It could defintely work, we can try it out tonight!!!

SlapLaB
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Mmm this looks interesting although I don't like any strategy which involves blowing the MCOM with C4...

I guess it's fair to do it sometimes but if it's abused the game becomes very boring...

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Hmmm, I've never noticed that. Very unusual. I'm pretty sure that I always have to hit the "B" button (XBOX) to dismount from the ATV and only then can I hit the plunger. In my experience, if I can make it to the MCOM then 99% of the time I will be able to dismount and blow the C4. The problems usually arise BEFORE getting to the MCOM (as they should) when the defenders either shoot me off the ATV, or I hit an AT mine. Using the technique that Underdog wrote about could, on occasion, solve the problem of being shot off of the ATV. While not always the case, it has happened to me where I have been shot off of the ATV at the very last second and in the Kill Cam I can see the ATV rolling right at the MCOM. If you had a "trigger-man/woman" sitting back in our AO then they could detonate the C4.

Agreed, I've never been kicked off the ATV automatically. In addition to the ATV's, having a trigger man for heli's seems even better than the UAV to me as they can be harder to bring down.

Toxic Avenger72
10-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I could see this working. I've always tried to be nice and not TK after I dismount. I think they must be randoms because I always give a warning when I'm close to the MCOM. I'd like to test this strategy out. Alpha at the first set of MCOMs at Atacama would be a perfect testing site.

Agreed, I've never been kicked off the ATV automatically. In addition to the ATV's, having a trigger man for heli's seems even better than the UAV to me as they can be harder to bring down.

I've been kicked off on ATV before but I'm guessing it was because the water I tried crossing was too deep. I loaded up the ATV with C4 and went for Alpha at the last set of MCOMs on Laguna. I tried to drive the ATV directly under the building but I got kicked off the ATV early. Luckily, the momentum carried it close enough and was able to blow up the MCOM.

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I could see this working. I've always tried to be nice and not TK after I dismount. I think they must be randoms because I always give a warning when I'm close to the MCOM. I'd like to test this strategy out. Alpha at the first set of MCOMs at Atacama would be a perfect testing site.

I've been kicked off on ATV before but I'm guessing it was because the water I tried crossing was too deep. I loaded up the ATV with C4 and went for Alpha at the last set of MCOMs on Laguna. I tried to drive the ATV directly under the building but I got kicked off the ATV early. Luckily, the momentum carried it close enough and was able to blow up the MCOM.

You definitely get kicked off any land vehicle that gets into deep water.

Laguna A - That's a pretty good idea. I've never tried using the ATV for that mcom. I'm usually driving to B on that map. Actually, I'm usually getting spawn camped while someone else takes out the mcom, but, you know, in the event I make it to the ATV...

DayliteMag
10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Mmm this looks interesting although I don't like any strategy which involves blowing the MCOM with C4...

I guess it's fair to do it sometimes but if it's abused the game becomes very boring...

I know what you mean, SL. On the 360 side we have gotten so proficient using C4 that I sometimes think it must be maddening for the defenders. That said, I've been up against defenders who know how to defend against a C4 attack, and do so with vigor! Even the UAV should only be really effective once, and after that a really good defending force should get a sniper to keep his/her eye on the UAV station.

@Lockwood: I like the idea of using the Heli's as a C4 delivery tool. That is something we really haven't done much of (prolly becuase most of us are a bit tentative flying the damn things), but perhaps we could give it a try. How's this for a tactic: Val Pariso, first set of MCOMs. Full MP Squad all spawn with C4. Load up the Heli and three out of the four pile in. Pilot flies straight toward Alpha where the two passengers bail out (hopefully not getting team-killed in the process...hate that....Aargh!!!!) and try to manually arm and defend Alpha. Meanwhile, the pilot lands on Bravo and gives the trigger-man the order to detonate. Hopefully, the defenders will be focused on the two that bailed out giving the heli pilot enough time to land/crash on Bravo. My biggest problem with any tactic that involves the choppers is having the skill to, under fire, effectively land on the MCOM.

TheFreak75
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM

I know what you mean, SL. On the 360 side we have gotten so proficient using C4 that I sometimes think it must be maddening for the defenders. That said, I've been up against defenders who know how to defend against a C4 attack, and do so with vigor! Even the UAV should only be really effective once, and after that a really good defending force should get a sniper to keep his/her eye on the UAV station.

@Lockwood: I like the idea of using the Heli's as a C4 delivery tool. That is something we really haven't done much of (prolly becuase most of us are a bit tentative flying the damn things), but perhaps we could give it a try. How's this for a tactic: Val Pariso, first set of MCOMs. Full MP Squad all spawn with C4. Load up the Heli and three out of the four pile in. Pilot flies straight toward Alpha where the two passengers bail out (hopefully not getting team-killed in the process...hate that....Aargh!!!!) and try to manually arm and defend Alpha. Meanwhile, the pilot lands on Bravo and gives the trigger-man the order to detonate. Hopefully, the defenders will be focused on the two that bailed out giving the heli pilot enough time to land/crash on Bravo. My biggest problem with any tactic that involves the choppers is having the skill to, under fire, effectively land on the MCOM.
This could actually work (using the heli as a C4 delivery tool), again we should try it tonight!!! :D :D ..... You all know how I love using C4! :devil: :devil:

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM

I like it! I'll be on tonight! Even better if you have two full squads would be for one guy from each to jump in the heli. Then when they drop on A, everybody spawns leading to an assault of 6 guys (2 from squad 1 + 4 from squad 2) on A, though that requires more effort.

It is (to me at least) harder to hit the mcom's with the heli, but it could really be tough to stop. The pilot should equip vehicle armor. I've wanted to work on this ever since a bunch of d-bags did this to me one night on Isla using both heli's on the first set.

Question for the experts: Will crashing the heli cause the c4 to detonate or do you actually have to detonate it just prior to impact?

On the TK's when jumping from the chopper - I haven't confirmed this, but someone told me in game that if the copter is climbing, you eliminate the TK's. If that's the case, then the jumpers just need to inform the pilot prior to bailing out. Something else to try...

ProfUnderDog
10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Lockwood, I think that is correct when you are flying the chopper you need to keep it level or climb when people are bailing out. Also as for the C4, if the passenger in the compartment could be the trigger person.

TrojanTeacher
10-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Just FYI, I usually load up tanks with C4 in the front and then just rush the MCOM when in desperate times. Park the tank, then BOOM! "60% of the time, it works...every time."