PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Lord of Shadows

Borlaxx
10-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Had anyone played this game? It just came out earlier this month. I played the demo last night and loved it! The reviews I have read are mixed. Gamespot didn't like it, IGN said it was pretty good but not great, and Gameinformer loved it.

One common comment was that it isn't like a normal Castlevania game which normally center around a lot of exploration and collecting tons of items. This game is pretty linear and focuses on the combat. While that means some people will be upset over the change in style, I never have a problem with linear scripted action games as long as they are done really well (GoW games, Uncharted games, etc.)

The combat is pretty much a direct rip-off of God of War, which means it isn't exactly original, but many games have copied GoW's style, which IMO is fantastic, and the combat in the demo was really good. Although I didn't get to experience it in the demo, there are apparently platforming sections that are a lot like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed, and the boss fights are a lot like Shadow of the Colossus (never played this game). There are also supposed to be some great puzzle sections in the game as well. So, although this game isn't exactly original, it apparently combines a lot of the features of the best action games out there.

One common complaint is that while the voice acting is really good (Patrick Stewart FTW!), the dialogue is often very melodramatic, which I did notice in the demo. Still, give me a game where I can kill a huge variety of horrific creatures (apparently there are a TON of different kinds of enemies in this game) and I will normally be happy. Another plus is that for an action game this is apparently pretty damn long (15-20 hours) and once you beat a level you can go back and do different challenges to earn trophies. Although God of War 3 was fucking EPIC and AMAZING, it was IMO too short. Also, all the reviews I have read said that the graphics are amazing, and I agree. Apparently there are some frame rate issues from time to time, but nothing game breaking.

This is a game I will likely pick up some day, but not before it drops in price. I have a hard time paying full price for any game that doesn't have a multiplayer element or a really long single player game like most RPGs. They are already making a sequel.

Anyone else interested in this game? I am a Castlevania and God of War fanboy, so the combo of the two = WIN for me.

SlapLaB
10-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Played the demo as well...

I enjoyed it, but that's about it... I mean, it's a hack'n'slash in an extremely classic medieval fantasy setting - nothing new under the sun, although I admit it's very nicely done.

I'll borrow it from someone or pass it entirely.

Borlaxx
12-20-2010, 09:10 AM
I picked up a used copy of this game this weekend. I have played the first two areas so far. FUCKING EPIC!!!!!! I actually like it better than God of War 3 so far.

Borlaxx
04-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Finally started playing this game again last night after beating Bayonetta. Man, the environments in this game are awesome to look at. From what I understand, the game takes over 20 hours to beat. I can tell I am going to enjoy this game.

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Gawd, this game aint easy! Been playing it a bunch since the PSN has been down. I really like this game. You cannot button mash and win. It is hard due to good design and not cheapness. I found myself getting killed by a couple bosses over and over again and getting frustrated, but once I figured out what to do, they weren't that hard to take down.

This game is better than God of War 3 IMO. God of War 3 has slightly better graphics (but not by much) and slightly better boss battles (again, not by much), but this game has a deeper and better although similar combat system, much better and less linear environments, a better story (although Kratos is a better main character), and is much, much longer at over 20+ hours for a single playthrough from what I have read compared to the under 8 hours it took me to beat GoW3. That isn't even counting all the extra missions for each level for additional upgrades and trophies.

I think this game may be discounted now. If you like action games, and specifically God of War like combat, but with a much longer story and a much more challenging game, then I highly recommend you get this game.