PDA

View Full Version : Black Ops Wii version FAQs

johnboy
11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I know most of you guys are sensible and aren't complaining about Black Ops too much but I thought I would copy and paste Kweagles FAQs for some info about what we haven't got in the game and why.

Lets start this off with the simple fact that most people seem to over look when comparing games on the Wii. Here is a short list of hardware specs for the consoles.
First, lets compare the raw power of the systems...

Xbox 360

Ram --> 512 MB (shared between CPU and GPU)
CPU --> 3200 Mhz
GPU --> 500 Mhz
HDD --> 120 GB
Resolution --> upscaled to 1080p

Play Station 3

Ram --> 512 MB (256 for CPU and 256 for GPU)
CPU --> 3200 Mhz
GPU --> 550 Mhz
HDD --> 120 GB
Resolution --> up to true 1080p

Nintendo Wii

Ram --> 88 MB ( Shared between CPU and GPU)
CPU --> 729 Mhz
GPU --> 243 Mhz
HDD --> 512 MB system storage and Up to 32 GB SD Card storage
Resolution --> up to 480p

Now, with those details in mind, continue reading this FAQ. This game is already pushing the limits of the Wii hardware way beyond anything anyone has attempted before.

Lets begin with what this game has for new features

- DLC support - DLC (downloadable content) is something that Nintendo has been resisting to support in any real, useful form. However with the success of WaW and MWR, Activision/Treyarch have been able to get more support from Nintendo to include the features, such as this, that are needed to make a good game, great. This is arguably the biggest new feature in the game, and it is all thanks to Treyarch. DLC could include such things as new maps, weapons, perks, equipment etc.

- Back End Patching - This is also a new feature, previously resisted by Nintendo, now being made possible only because of the Treyarch team, and their efforts. This means having the ability to make full executable changes (patches) to the game code to allow the developers to fix programming bugs in the game. This is also the first time any Wii game has had the ability to have any real ability to fight hackers.

- Full Voice Chat Support - Once again, made possible by Treyarch, in direct cooperation with Nintendo and Performance Design Products, we now have the first real, usable means for voice chat in any Wii title. Until now, the wii speak was the only device which was available for a voice chat solution, however, it was never designed to be used in a FPS setting. The wii speak has shown its faults in other games that have attempted to support it, and failed, not only with poor, unacceptable voice quality, but also only allowing the ability to talk to those on your friends list. Once again, this headset is a direct result of the actions taken by Treyarch.

- Ally System - Until now, the only way to gain friends in a Wii CoD title was to have both parties exchange friend codes. Now, with the ally system, you can get friends in several ways. You can still add their FC (ally code), however, it is only required that one party enters the code. Also, you now have the ability to request friends directly that you have played with. This is another huge new feature for this release of Black Ops on the Wii.

- Online Co-op - Again, for the First time in the CoD series, we have full support for zombie mode, as well as the new combat training mode.

- Classic Controller Pro Support - Another direct request from the Wii community to Treyarch has been to support the CCP, and now it is in for the first time in a CoD Wii game.

- Text messaging - Another first is full text message support for people in your ally list.

With the newest, biggest features listed above, we also have all MP maps, game modes, and an outstanding single player campaign.

With the great new features and tech that Treyarch have been able to put into this game, lets continue now to the most common questions the Wii community has.

Q: Why is the Wii missing the zombie map "five"?

A: This map was added very late in the development cycle to the HD versions. The Wii team is not able to even begin work on these maps until they are finished for the main consoles. It takes months to convert an HD map to work on the Wii. With the release date coming close, the game needs to be sent out for approval and finalized, regardless if it has everything the Wii team wants in it or not.

Q: Will we get the missing Zombie map as DLC?

A: Most likely, yes, wee will see the zombie map, and perhaps the 4 WaW zombie maps as well in our first DLC installment.

Q: Will the Wii community have to pay for DLC on the Wii, including the missing zombie map?

A: Nintendo charges for all bandwidth used through their network, therefore it is out of the control of Activision as to whether or not wii users will have to pay for DLC content. To avoid unnecessary speculation about this issue, it is best we wait until it happens see.

Q: Why is there no "Dead Ops" Game mode on the Wii?

A: Contrary to most peoples beliefs, this game mode is very hardware intensive, especially towards the later levels, even on the HD consoles.

Q: Why are we missing Kill streaks?

A: Black Ops on the Wii uses new tech in the game engine. you may notice that your Wii's disk drive is constantly working in overdrive while playing the game. This is because the map data is streamed off the disk as you walk through the map. The maps are too large to load into RAM all at once. This has two affects, it lets the Wii have all the MP maps that the PS360 has, even the largest maps, but at the cost of having the ability to see the whole map all at the same time. This is why we are missing the kill streaks which would display the entire map, because there is not enough RAM to display the map all at once.

Q: Where is the Flam thrower? It was in WaW and that game is two years old!

A: Two things you need to look at and you can see the answer to this question yourself. If you were ever host in WaW, and someone used a flamethrower in front of you, you would notice a large amount of lag. WaW only supported 8 players. With the player limit now at ten, combined with the host frame rate issues already present due the amount of data being processed, a flamethrower in this situation would completely kill the host.

Q: Why do we not have split screen or the camera spike?

A: Both of these things require two screens to be rendered at the same time. There is not enough RAM on the Wii to carry two streams of maps data at the same time.

Q: But Goldeneye 007 has split screen, why not the Wii?

A: Goldeneye was built from he very beginning knowing that split screen had to be supported. Unlike CoD, split screen was the biggest feature of that game, and things were designed around that fact from the beginning. Even with this information, if you look at split screen on goldeneye, you will see that the maps and detail have been extremely stripped back to work. CoD levels were designed to work on an HD platform, not on the Wii. While Split screen is possible on the Wii, it is not possible using the HD consoles maps.

Q: Why is there no Clan tag, custom reticles, face paint or emblems?

A: This is a lot more complicated than just saying "it is only a picture, or a couple letters". There is actually a lot of tech going on behind the scenes to make these things work. While it may have been possible with a lot more time and resources in development to bring some of these things to the Wii, the cost to do these things things out weigh what they give to the game. Those resources were much better placed in other areas of the game to give you what you have now. Ask yourself, would you have been willing to give up something like voice chat or zombies to have those customizations?

Q: Why is there no kill cam or theater mode?

A: These things require additional storage in the RAM to work, which there is none available on the Wii.

Now that we have seen why there is missing content, and what that content is, go back to the top of the list, and look at all the new things that have been implemented into the game. Now that you have done the comparison, tell me if the new features outweigh the small amount of missing content. This game has surpassed every other game on the Wii in regards to its tech and online features. Treyarch has set a new standard on the Wii, a console that it 15 years behind in tech. If after reading this, you are unable to appreciate what the Wii development team has done here, I suggest you sell the game, and buy The conduit, or Goldeneye, as you would clearly be happier with those games, even with the massive lack of content compared to this one.

Major Stains
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Great find there Admin. Really useful for all that read the boards. Well done. :applause:
My only gripe is the servers and that is hardly the fault of the game.
I think it is an excellent version considering the limitations of the console.

Borlaxx
11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Great FAQ, and I loved how he pwned the haters with the last section! =))

RC-1136
11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
This is a great post. I am actually very impressed with what I have seen in the Wii version. I think they've done a great job.

LandShark
11-15-2010, 04:52 PM
they have done an exceptional job. The bar has been set very high for all upcoming games.

Law
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I haven't missed a thing!
I appreciate what they have done with this...just wish the servers were better, but what can you do...

Sniper
11-15-2010, 05:51 PM
i myself think they have done a wonderful job in this game...the two key things that make this game pure enjoyment to play are NO MARTYDOM and NO CHAINING those two things not being in this game far out weigh the servers being a little hard to connect to at times and the constant party drops that we get and the hit detection being a little screwy at times....

Psalm
11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I think overall...treyarch has done a great job with this conversion. Hopefully the server issues will be ironed out...Us PS3 guys are still dealing with frame rate lag.

johnboy
11-19-2010, 06:35 AM
***UPDATE*** 18th November 2010

Thank you for helping us to identify the various connectivity issues you have been experiencing. We have fixed many of the problems you have reported and are currently testing those fixes in anticipation of releasing an update.

Stay tuned for the delivery of this update within the next week or so.

Thank you for your support!
-JD

xMisFitToyx
12-14-2010, 01:15 PM
After the last update, I am unable to see the leaderboard info for my allies....I am only able to see the worldwide leaderboards.

Is anyone else having this problem? :-?

johnboy
12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
It kills my Wii when I try to look @ ood thing for me since I'm probably near the bottom for everything. Apart from zombies!

LandShark
12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
After the last update, I am unable to see the leaderboard info for my allies....I am only able to see the worldwide leaderboards.

can you not change the filter. what i dont like about the leaderboard is its only ranked by kills per minute or am i the only one that cannot figure that filter out?

xMisFitToyx
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM

can you not change the filter. what i dont like about the leaderboard is its only ranked by kills per minute or am i the only one that cannot figure that filter out?

I can see the worldwide leaders.....but when I change the filter to allies only it says downloading then no data just empty space.

LandShark
12-14-2010, 02:15 PM
you always thought you were in a league of your own

johnboy
12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't understand the kills per minute. Not good for my stats when I can sit out of a match for 3 - 3 1/2 minutes out of a 10 min tdm while waiting to respawn.

xMisFitToyx
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't understand the kills per minute. Not good for my stats when I can sit out of a match for 3 - 3 1/2 minutes out of a 10 min tdm while waiting to respawn.

It's not kills per minute it is score per minute...........but still the same results......and it only has that on the objective based games....not TDM.

TDM shows KDR

And BTW my KDR on HCTDM as of last night was +1.12......... :D