PDA

View Full Version : Clearing out your friends list can improve lag?

wilmh
11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Has anyone confirmed this?

I have about 75 friends on my main account and have experienced less lag while in game than last Tuesday, but I have found that the time to load and unload menu's while before and during the game is VERY long now and has seemed to have gotten much worse as I've added friends for Black Op's.

Given all of the abilities to view stats, communicate, view video, etc... of other friends this sort of makes sense while in the menu's, but I'm skeptical how it could improve the actual game play.

Before I go through the hassle of creating a second account and then moving half of my friends to the new account, I'd like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if clearing out the friends list has improved the situation.

wilmh
11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
If this is the case, I'll probably create a new account and re-add all of you to that account so that it's specifically for MP. I'll then keep my old account for my longtime friends.

Borlaxx
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

I have about 75 friends on my main account and have experienced less lag while in game than last Tuesday, but I have found that the time to load and unload menu's while before and during the game is VERY long now and has seemed to have gotten much worse as I've added friends for Black Op's.

Given all of the abilities to view stats, communicate, view video, etc... of other friends this sort of makes sense while in the menu's, but I'm skeptical how it could improve the actual game play.

Before I go through the hassle of creating a second account and then moving half of my friends to the new account, I'd like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if clearing out the friends list has improved the situation.
I have read multiple threads on other sites that put this theory forward. However, I have also read people posting on those threads that have said it made no difference for them. Also, I have read that TA knows about this problem and is working on a patch. I would give it awhile before doing anything drastic. Sounds like a fix is in the works, and this "solution" is questionable at best.

wilmh
11-16-2010, 02:41 PM

I have read multiple threads on other sites that put this theory forward. However, I have also read people posting on those threads that have said it made no difference for them. Also, I have read that TA knows about this problem and is working on a patch. I would give it awhile before doing anything drastic. Sounds like a fix is in the works, and this "solution" is questionable at best.
I hear ya. I just don't want to get stuck in a PS menu during matches. A couple of times over the weekend I would be replying to a message while in a lobby waiting for the match to start. The menu would hang and when the match started I was still looking at the grayed out menu watching the lil clock spin in the upper corner. Luckily it always ended before any opponents were able to make it to me but one time it was really close. (this was a SnD match after I had died in the previous round)

Honestly I noticed that my PS menu's were much slower after adding all of you guys (friends list went from 15 or 20 to 60+) so it's plausable. I enjoy playing with all of you in addition to my old friends, but I just hate the lag and slow menus.

I do have an older 40 gig FAT PS3 and I'm on a wireless network too, so that might not help things.

Borlaxx
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Menus on the ps do load slower with more friends, but I have never had an issue with a game prior to BO. This seems to be a game specific problem.

Jackie R
11-16-2010, 03:17 PM

I agree. I for one do not feel comfortable removing people from my FL (pretty much all MPs with the exception of about 10 people) based on a theory which is yet to be proven.

Psalm
11-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I have a few other accounts I may try if I have time.

wilmh
11-16-2010, 03:26 PM

I agree. I for one do not feel comfortable removing people from my FL (pretty much all MPs with the exception of about 10 people) based on a theory which is yet to be proven.
Me either.....that's why I'm asking. ;)

Borlaxx
11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
See new update thread. They have officially recognized the friend list problem and are working on a patch.

wilmh
11-16-2010, 04:30 PM
See new update thread. They have officially recognized the friend list problem and are working on a patch.
Thanks. I guess I'll hold off and just stay out of the PS menu during games. ;)

RFK48
11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I have read on BO's forum that the reason more friends makes you lag more is because it checks periodically to see if friends are online and whatever else it checks at that time. Makes sense to me since there is an in game friends list. I am afraid to start adding people now but what can you do?

s.ghost
11-23-2010, 08:39 AM
you can add me to your lag list please as i lost your fr

wilmh
11-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I seem to only encounter lag once every 10 to 15 games so that's not a big deal......the disconnections, lack of ability to join friends games, and regular "booting" from lobbies is pissing me off though. It's WAY worse with Black Op's than MW2.

Borlaxx
11-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I seem to only encounter lag once every 10 to 15 games so that's not a big deal......the disconnections, lack of ability to join friends games, and regular "booting" from lobbies is pissing me off though. It's WAY worse with Black Op's than MW2.
Did you play MW2 when it first came out? I didn't get MW2 until months after release, so I am not sure how MW2 and BO compare to each other at this point after launch.

12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
To be honest, I have deleted several people from my list that I do not play with and it seems to have made an improvement in my online experience. I also have a second account with no friends and it runs really smooth. I don't play often on this account, but the last few times I tried it were flawless.

Jackie R
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I keep hearing that one of the big problems is the 'status updates' that you get whenever someone on your FL unlocks something (a new gun for example). The more friends you have, the bigger the problem. If this is the case, couldn't they just turf the feature for now? I mean, I would rather a nice flowing game than getting updates like 'czech has unlokced the Uzi' or 'Borlax is now wearing his mankini'. http://www.theadultgamer.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

wilmh
12-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Did you play MW2 when it first came out? I didn't get MW2 until months after release, so I am not sure how MW2 and BO compare to each other at this point after launch.
Yeah....COD4, World at War, MW2. I had all of them on the release date and while they did have some technical issues at release, I remember them only being maybe 10% of what I experience with Black Ops and generally the issues regarding lag and overloaded servers were gone after the first week or so. They also had a couple of patches within the first month and after that, I can honestly say that it wasn't that bad.

To be honest, I have deleted several people from my list that I do not play with and it seems to have made an improvement in my online experience. I also have a second account with no friends and it runs really smooth. I don't play often on this account, but the last few times I tried it were flawless.
I have a second account with only 2 friends and while I've only played a couple of hours, I too have experienced the same thing.

Borlaxx
12-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Man, are they really trying to say that people who play COD games have no friends? :))

KornHoled
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
lol I have no friends. I had kids and got married, they didn't and still party at bars. It's amazing what children and marriage can bring you sometimes! lol

theczech99
12-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I keep hearing that one of the big problems is the 'status updates' that you get whenever someone on your FL unlocks something (a new gun for example). The more friends you have, the bigger the problem. If this is the case, couldn't they just turf the feature for now? I mean, I would rather a nice flowing game than getting updates like 'czech has unlokced the Uzi' or 'Borlax is now wearing his mankini'. http://www.theadultgamer.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
What!?!?!?! You donít care about my uzi that I will never use!!! I only run assault weapons and only three of them in all. Yes removing that part of the game would not me missed at all.

Borlaxx
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
What!?!?!?! You donít care about my uzi that I will never use!!! I only run assault weapons and only three of them in all. Yes removing that part of the game would not me missed at all.
They should allow you to turn it off. That would fix the problem and give people the choice to know if I just t-bagged someone in my mankini.

KornHoled
12-02-2010, 12:52 PM
They should allow you to turn it off. That would fix the problem and give people the choice to know if I just t-bagged someone in my mankini.

Does your mankini look something like this???

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2008/01/28/va1237288862312/Borat-Supplied-5862946.jpg =))

Borlaxx
12-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Oh! U haven't seen the pic. I will have to find it later. =))