PDA

View Full Version : Should i invest in a new headset

Sampsta
12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
We have a new xbox bundle coming for xmas, kinect and all for the kids.

But i will need a new hearset. is the xbox wireless one any good or should i invest in something else?

TrojanTeacher
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I use the default XBOX one, no problem.

ustolemygmrtag
12-02-2010, 12:53 PM
We have a new xbox bundle coming for xmas, kinect and all for the kids.

But i will need a new hearset. is the xbox wireless one any good or should i invest in something else?

The Xbox wired one for 19.99 is a good one. I have it, and it works great. The off brands work, but tend to fall apart rather quickly. I owed 2 sets of the off brands, and both died in about 2 months after purchase.

The Wireless headset is good, but the batteries die real fast. You go through the real fast. Or if you get the one that needs recharging, you cut into game time even more. i also noticed the Wired have a better sound to the chat than the Wireless. Just my opinion.

ProfUnderDog
12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
As it is the holiday season, I would recommend that your wish list include Turtle Beach's X41 headset. The game will sound like nothing you have heard before unless you are running a 5.1 stereo system in the man cave. The sound really adds a completely new dimension to the game not the least of which is helps get the drop on people like Sniperella taking your tags because you can hear them coming!

CELockwood
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
As it is the holiday season, I would recommend that your wish list include Turtle Beach's X41 headset. The game will sound like nothing you have heard before unless you are running a 5.1 stereo system in the man cave. The sound really adds a completely new dimension to the game not the least of which is helps get the drop on people like Sniperella taking your tags because you can hear them coming!

I second the TB recommendation (though I went wired instead of wireless). I was even using a 5.1 surround sound, but feel I hear more (especially footsteps) from the TB's because I don't have to keep it so quiet when everyone else is in bed.

I had two of the stock xbox headsets/mic's and had mixed results. The first one worked very well. I broke them (idiot). The mic on the second set was very spotty and prompted my purchase of the TB set.

ProfUnderDog
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM

I second the TB recommendation (though I went wired instead of wireless). I was even using a 5.1 surround sound, but feel I hear more (especially footsteps) from the TB's because I don't have to keep it so quiet when everyone else is in bed.

I had two of the stock xbox headsets/mic's and had mixed results. The first one worked very well. I broke them (idiot). The mic on the second set was very spotty and prompted my purchase of the TB set.

Lockwood is referring to the DX11. I would recommend the wired versions if you don't mind the cable because I find running out of batteries is a real pain.

CELockwood
12-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Lockwood is referring to the DX11. I would recommend the wired versions if don't mind the cable because I running out of batteries is a real pain.

Yup, that's the one. I've gotten used to the wire and it works on my PC too.

Toxic Avenger72
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I guess it really depends on if you need to be quiet (TV volume) during your gaming. I do most of my gaming at night after the wife and kids have gone to bed so I need to be as quiet as possible. I have the X31s from Turtle Beach and they are great.

Like UnderDog said, a headset will add a dimension to the game that you can't imagine. You can even hear Sniperella (er, other people) sneaking up on you.

Daylite has the X41s too. From what I understand, he is very pleased with them. I would love to get a pair of X41s but I just can't convince myself to make the leap.

If you do decide to go with the X31s or X41s, I'd recommend you invest in some rechargeable batteries. They will pay for themselves in no time. Also, you may need one of these (http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Audio-Cable-Adapter-XBOX/dp/B003Z0LZHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291319169&sr=8-3)if your TV does not have an Audio Out outlet.

Sampsta
12-03-2010, 09:10 AM
what does the TB headset go for? can you pick them up at BB or another typical local store?

Right now its annoying.. i joined in a match with sniper, blitz and a few others and they are all saying hi...but i aint got no mic just static..lol

i think i want the new system more than the kids do!

ustolemygmrtag
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
what does the TB headset go for? can you pick them up at BB or another typical local store?

Right now its annoying.. i joined in a match with sniper, blitz and a few others and they are all saying hi...but i aint got no mic just static..lol

i think i want the new system more than the kids do!
Yes, they carry them, I have found that GameStop has the best prices, plus, you might find a used set.

X11 Wired Dolby Stereo go for $59 new.
X31 Wireless Dolby Stereo go for $99 new.
X41 Wireless 5.1 Surround sound go for $149 new.

These are the prices I have seen. I actually picked up my wifes pair for $30 used from a friend. Craigslist is a great place to find deals on the TB headsets.

Now, I am looking for myself a set. They add so much dimension to the gaming experience. Maybe Santa will get me a set?.?. :pray: :pray:

DayliteMag
12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
As Toxic said, I have the X41s (just upgraded from the X31s) and the sound is unbelievable. And, like Toxic, I mostly game at night and I need to be quiet so not having the game volume coming through the TV or Surround speakers is a must for me.

The one thing that I have notice on the X41s is that they are not as comfortable as my old X31s. Now, this could simply be a matter of personal preference or maybe they have changed the ear cups (which are larger on the X31s than on the X41s). I would recommend you buy them from a retailer where you can try them for a couple of weeks and return or exchange if you don't like. Bestbuy sells them and you can usually exchange or get refund within 30 days (here in Canada).

The X31s are $99.99 and the X41s are $199.99 (but Amazon.com has them fro $169.99). Try them from Bestbuy and if you like them then return for a refund and buy them through Amazon for the savings. This is what I did here in Canada and saved myself $60. I actually ordered the Amazon set and waited until they arrived before returning the Bestbuy set...that way I was never without a headset.

The difference between X31 and X41 is the 5.1 Surround sound. There is nothing wrong with the X31s and both are wireless, but you get more umpf from the X41s (it's actually quite startling how good the sound is). Both are pigs on batteries so get a good set of rechargeables. Both are slightly annoying to hook-up (not very intuitive...but if I can figure it out...anyone can. Mind you I had some helpful advice from folks on this site...Shout out to Sckrapps and UnderDog).

Toxic Avenger72
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, they carry them, I have found that GameStop has the best prices, plus, you might find a used set.

These are the prices I have seen. I actually picked up my wifes pair for $30 used from a friend. Craigslist is a great place to find deals on the TB headsets.

Now, I am looking for myself a set. They add so much dimension to the gaming experience. Maybe Santa will get me a set?.?. :pray: :pray:

If you are in no rush and don't mind waiting, they go on sale periodically at Amazon for ~$20-30 off for the X31 or X41. The X41s are $169 right now on Amazon.

Sampsta
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM
when you have these plugged in does all the sound come thru the head set or does it still come thru the TV set?

ustolemygmrtag
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM

If you are in no rush and don't mind waiting, they go on sale periodically at Amazon for ~$20-30 off for the X31 or X41. The X41s are $169 right now on Amazon.
I am probably going to just get the X11 set. I do not mind the wires, and the Battery life of the wireless just sucks balls.

DayliteMag
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
when you have these plugged in does all the sound come thru the head set or does it still come thru the TV set?

You can have it either way (it's a TV setting), but there really isn't any point in continuing to have the sound come through the TV.

ustolemygmrtag
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM

The Game sound and the Voice chat both come through the headset. ;) Believe me when I say, you will hear stuff you would have never heard otherwise. It is truly a game changer. When I play on Megs headset, My tag loss goes way down. Footsteps are amplified, and you can hear birds chirping in the background. TB headsets are the way to go for the avid gamer.

Sampsta
12-03-2010, 11:05 AM
i will have to check out CL or GS for perhaps a used one. Amazon has new ones for $50 so thats not too bad. But if you say the sound is fantastic definitely sounds good to me.

Retro
12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
AsThe X31s are $99.99 and the X41s are $199.99 (but Amazon.com has them fro $169.99). Try them from Bestbuy and if you like them then return for a refund and buy them through Amazon for the savings. This is what I did here in Canada and saved myself $60. I actually ordered the Amazon set and waited until they arrived before returning the Bestbuy set...that way I was never without a headset.

Or save yourself the hassel and have them do a price match and get 10% of the difference.

TrojanTeacher
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM
BB won't price match with online sales. At least that's what they say here in California. Not sure about your neck of the woods.

Retro
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
BB won't price match with online sales. At least that's what they say here in California. Not sure about your neck of the woods.
Here they do, the only thing they factor in is the cost of shipping if there is one.

I'm suprised that they wouldn't offer it there. Because I'm pretty sure BB.com does price matches. If you buy something from there online store all you have to do is call the 1-800 number and tell them that another site has a lower price.

And just a tip, the $199 headsets have a cost of less than $100. So they have wiggle room to match on sales.

roadrnr
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
What about the Px21s? I know they are more for PS3, but they also work with xbox too. They look a little better than than the x11s and about the only difference between them and the x31s is the px21 is wired.

DayliteMag
12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Here they do, the only thing they factor in is the cost of shipping if there is one.

I'm suprised that they wouldn't offer it there. Because I'm pretty sure BB.com does price matches. If you buy something from there online store all you have to do is call the 1-800 number and tell them that another site has a lower price.

And just a tip, the $199 headsets have a cost of less than $100. So they have wiggle room to match on sales.

Now you tell me!? :((

theczech99
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Anyone looking for a good headset go to meritline.com. They have the Tritton AX Pro that works on PS3 or 360 for $149.99 and free shipping.

Sampsta
12-23-2010, 08:23 PM
im definitely getting a new headset one way or the other...we'll see what santa brings

antagonizer
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
ok, it is now after xmas, what did ya get? an how much do u like them?

Sampsta
01-22-2011, 08:40 AM
I picked up the turtle beach X11 from game stop. 69.99 and i got it for 35.99 with some gift card and online cupons that were going on. The thing is fantastic, i hear stuff that i cant hear on the tv.

definitely a good investment ! The regular xbox head sets kept breaking on me :D

antagonizer
01-22-2011, 08:49 AM
did you have to buy anything special to plug them into your xbox? I hope to get these in a month or so. did you plug them into your xbox or tv. Thanks

ustolemygmrtag
01-22-2011, 09:15 AM
did you have to buy anything special to plug them into your xbox? I hope to get these in a month or so. did you plug them into your xbox or tv. Thanks

The X-11 are wired stereo sound. New, they are $59.99 at Gamestop. They plug into a the output of you TV, and have another cable that plugs into your controller for the voice. The TV plugin is the same as a headphone set. These have a better sound than the X-31's and get louder too.

The X-31 are wireless stereo sound. New they are $99.99 at gamestop. They are really good if you have to share the Xbox with your kids, or it is in a family room where there is allot of food traffic. They also come with some cool setting as well. Built in bass boost, and a virtual surround sound. Also added, is the Voice nominalized. As the game get louder, this keeps the Voice chat at the same level as the game, so you do not miss anything over voice chat. But, they do go through AAA batteries fast. I keep a bowl of them beside me while I play, so as to never run our. ;)

The x-41's are a true 5.1 virtual surround sound. These are also Wireless. New, they go for$199 in most stores, but you can buy them online new for $159.99 US. Allot of the MP's here have these, and swear by them. They have all the features of the X-31's with the virtual Surround on top of that.

Santa brought me the X-31's for Christmas, and I love them. Meg has the X11's and she absolutely loves hers as will. It all depends on you tastes and needs. :cheers:

antagonizer
01-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't think I mind the wires, but my tv is a flat screen an up on the wall, I hate to reach back there in the first place, let alone all the time to plug unplug headsets. I was hoping to get it on the out side of the xbox. Not sure if that is possible or not. An money is a factor for me at these time, so if I go to them I will go for the lesser priced, unless I find something on craigslist.

poordaddy
01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
I have the x11's and usually run sound through digital receiver. With the headphones I plug into headphone jack on receiver and get power from nearby usb jack on cable box, so I never have to go behind tv or xbox.

CELockwood
01-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't think I mind the wires, but my tv is a flat screen an up on the wall, I hate to reach back there in the first place, let alone all the time to plug unplug headsets. I was hoping to get it on the out side of the xbox. Not sure if that is possible or not. An money is a factor for me at these time, so if I go to them I will go for the lesser priced, unless I find something on craigslist.

You shouldn't have to mess with getting behind the TV. I have the x11's, as well. There's a cable that comes with them that attaches to the stereo sound cable coming out of the xbox. When you want to use the headphones, you make three connections: usb to the front of the xbox, stereo plug to the cable mentioned above, and mic jack to the controller.

Love mine, and they work great. The wireless are certainly simpler, but I don't mind the wires and never have to worry about batteries.

antagonizer
01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
all I have coming out of xbox is usb ports or for the hdmi, an some big plug that likes like a printer port!!!. I might have to buy these new, hmmmm, I have the newest xbox, (hoping to avoid the rrd). Thanks for all the help,

ustolemygmrtag
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
all I have coming out of xbox is usb ports or for the hdmi, an some big plug that likes like a printer port!!!. I might have to buy these new, hmmmm, I have the newest xbox, (hoping to avoid the rrd). Thanks for all the help,
Ok, most of the lcd/plasma tv's have an audio out on tbe side, or in the front. The x-11s have rca and the 1/8 inch plugs to give you better versatility. Are u using the hdmi, or the Ybg cables? If you are using hdmi, you will either have to connect them to the audio out of the tv, or you will have to get the tb stero out adapter for the xbox.

antagonizer
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
I am using the hdmi cable, what is the tb connector? does it plug in between the hdmi an tv? plug in thru usb port? in fact, looking over tv, I have 3 hdmi inputs, 2 rca inputs, cable input an a scan disk input, only output from tv is opitcal audio. So I guess I am hoping to connect to xbox. I have it hooked to a dolby surround sound system, (vcr/dvd is not xbox) kinda trying to avoid going that route.

CELockwood
01-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Yup, gmrtag's right. I'm using the component video cable (as you described it, large printer port). The stereo audio that comes off of that cable is where the x11 cable connects (I don't actually use these for sound when I'm not using the headphones; I use the optical out, but that probably matters not to you).

Do you not have the component cable? I thought they came with all xbox's. If not, then a set of audio out ports on the tv is the only option, or just go with the wireless.

sam007
02-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Anyone have the TB DPX21?

Opinions, experience?

Spike Forehand
02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Anyone have the TB DPX21?

Opinions, experience?

That's what I've been using Beans. Works great for me - great surround for sound-whoring, and separate chat/game volume controls right near the headset that are easy to reach and adjust while playing - they have a clip on them and I usually clip it to my pants pocket so that I know right where it is at all times. I have to switch back and forth between HDMI output when watching netflix or playing something single player to Optical output when playing multi-player, but that is pretty quick and easy.

The DPX21 is actually just the PX21 head-set with the added surround processor that you plug them into.

Story about mine from a couple of weeks ago:

My daughter had a sleep over in my home theater and the next day I found them broken right where the ear cups attach to the head strap, but was able to repair with super-glue and duct tape - good as new. Tell ya though - I was mighty pissed for a bit. I don't think my daughter willl let her friends touch jack shit when they come over in the future :)

sam007
02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
cool, I should be getting mine through ebay is a week or so. I'm looking forward to the new gaming experience with them.

theczech99
02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
I found them broken right where the ear cups attach to the head strap, but was able to repair with super-glue and duct tape - good as new.
Mine broke in the same place. I also used super glue to repair them and was very happy that it worked. The swivel ear cups make them feel very fragile. I have the TB and Tritton headsets. I mainly use the Tritton headset because they feel sturdier and I can mute the game without having to adjust the volume. I like to mute the game in between rounds so I can hear everyone Iím playing with better.

sam007
02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
The Turtle Beach headset I ordered through ebay arrived today!

DPX21

I used them right away to test them out. All I gotta say is AWESOME! It takes some getting used to, meaning the directional sounds.

I used them for BC2 in conquest since its basically a 360 battle front.

When I was running around, it was harder to track shots fired, footsteps I could not get a beat up yet. But when I was stopped and crouched down, I could hear distinct directional shots fired. Two kills I would have never have gotten with the regular TV speaker set up.

When I heard the shots to my 7 o'clock, I turned in the direction of the shots to see where they were. They were up high after scanning the same plain I was on, they had no clue I was aiming at them now, two easy kills.

I could never go back to using TV speakers now.

Now to hone my hearing skills some more with more time with them.

I'd suggested getting any surround sound headset to anyone to improve their gaming experience. You have a huge advantage to those not using them. Label or no label of sound whoring.

sniperella
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
The Turtle Beach headset I ordered through ebay arrived today!

DPX21

I used them right away to test them out. All I gotta say is AWESOME! It takes some getting used to, meaning the directional sounds.

I used them for BC2 in conquest since its basically a 360 battle front.

When I was running around, it was harder to track shots fired, footsteps I could not get a beat up yet. But when I was stopped and crouched down, I could hear distinct directional shots fired. Two kills I would have never have gotten with the regular TV speaker set up.

When I heard the shots to my 7 o'clock, I turned in the direction of the shots to see where they were. They were up high after scanning the same plain I was on, they had no clue I was aiming at them now, two easy kills.

I could never go back to using TV speakers now.

Now to hone my hearing skills some more with more time with them.

I'd suggested getting any surround sound headset to anyone to improve their gaming experience. You have a huge advantage to those not using them. Label or no label of sound whoring.

I know, right? Freaking awesome when you hear your feet crunching in the snow and your sleeve brushing your side as you throw a grenade! Ask Freak what my reaction to my Turtle Beach headset was like! :))

ProfUnderDog
02-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Now really pay attention to the voice effects. The game gives away op4 position all the time through the voices. This is especially useful when you've just pawned someone but didn't think that anyone else was around. I think a lot of players aren't even aware that often the voice they hear is actually their own character giving away his position.

Retro
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I need to find a decent headset for the PS3. I hate those little blue tooth things. I also want to keep it below $100 and preferably less than $50. I don't care about in game sound, I didn't invest in a kickass hometheatre for nothing!