PDA

View Full Version : Local cuisine

johnboy
01-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Since I'm a bit of a foodie and am always interested in trying something different I would like to know what you guys have food wise that's mainly served around where you live or in your state or county. In and around the North East of England we have Stottie cakes, which aren't actually cakes they are actualy a large flat and quite heavy bread bun normally about 12" across.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_68AxlNKZhsQ/SZg2KGczS2I/AAAAAAAAAxs/k4o4r06GN6I/s400/Stottie+Cake.JPG

We also have Lindisfarne mead which is a honey wine made on the island of Lindisfarne or Holy Island. Something that isn't cooked very often these days is Pan Haggerty which is a layered potato, onion and cheese dish similar to a potato gratin. We also have singing hinnies which are a type of scone or griddle cake. The botanical soft drinks maker 'Fentimans' is based in my little town of Hexham and Fentimans drinks are available in the States as well as the UK. They make Curiosity Cola as well as Victorian and Rose lemonade as well as other soft drinks and mixers.
http://www.gintime.com/img/features/fentimans-bottles.jpg

Lumchan
01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I've lived here for 8 years and have not tried this yet.
[yt:mb23ugts]QXaXy4aeJt4[/yt:mb23ugts]

johnboy
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Lum, thats cheating ;) I haven't had chance to watch it yet but I watch man vs food so I may have seen it.

IanCarlson
02-04-2011, 07:34 AM
lefse, flat bread made from potato mash. Cooked on a flat griddle ala' tortila style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefse
Only ever made the thin version, and butter is really the only option, unless your using it as a plate mop for the left over turkey gravey.

Fry bread, take the best things bread has going for it and turn it into a deep fryed sugar coated chunk of wounderful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_bread
Indian Tacos are excellent, but real true Native American fry bread with a bit of powdered sugar or cinnamon and suger is mouth wateringly good.

CELockwood
02-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Great idea, JB. How is that mead? I've made some at home once before that turned out pretty well, but for some reason never made another batch.

Here in central KY, we have hot browns, which are traditionally turkey, bread and bacon baked in a white sauce with a couple of types of shredded cheese.

[attachment=1:jpe751z5]images.jpg[/attachment:jpe751z5]

As some of my bc2 mp's know by now, we also make a refreshing refreshment known as bourbon. ;)

[attachment=0:jpe751z5]images (1).jpg[/attachment:jpe751z5]

As I'm originally from the Appalachian part of the state, I grew up with lots of home cooked cornbread, apple stack cakes, & chicken and dumplings.

And KY is behind only NC in production of tobacco in the states.

TonkaToys
02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Had some loverly Haggis for Burns Night, not exactly a local food where I am - but you know more local than it is for our American friends.

Also had quite a lot of Whisky to go with it, which meant I ended up playing bagpipes for the first time - and in a pub too!

[Edit: had to get the spelling of Whisky right]

johnboy
02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
From what I remember whiskey is the Irish spelling and whisky is the Scottish spelling. Did you have neeps and tatties (mashed potato and swede/turnip) with the haggis?

TonkaToys
02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
From what I remember whiskey is the Irish spelling and whisky is the Scottish spelling.

Hence my correction - I knew that really... no honest, I didn't just go to Wikipedia to check :)

Major Stains
02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Please excuse the ridiculous video, but this has to be the best local cuisine in these parts.
Bucksie and Phantom may beg to differ, but IMO you can't knock 'em. :x

In summary. Its scones, lots of clotted cream, a bit of strawberry jam, and a nice pot of tea. Minus the barking mad woman on the harp. 8-}

[yt:1zmzpir7]5wg-cK8PFjI&feature=related[/yt:1zmzpir7]

TonkaToys
02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Please excuse the ridiculous video, but this has to be the best local cuisine in these parts.
Bucksie and Phantom may beg to differ, but IMO you can't knock 'em. :x

In summary. Its scones, lots of clotted cream, a bit of strawberry jam, and a nice pot of tea. Minus the barking mad woman on the harp. 8-}

Yummmmmmmm! My favourite cake-like food. That and pasties (favourite snack-like food) means I love visiting my Uncle in Plymouth.

ScoobySnacks
08-30-2011, 07:12 PM
C'mon Dinsdale and fellow Pittsburgers speak up and be proud of our Primanti's sandwich. It's a sandwich of just about any meat (steak, corned beef...) topped off with french fries and cole slaw. Messy and delicious. Other places might have it now, but a Pittsburgh original.

dinsdale1978
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
C'mon Dinsdale and fellow Pittsburgers speak up and be proud of our Primanti's sandwich. It's a sandwich of just about any meat (steak, corned beef...) topped off with french fries and cole slaw. Messy and delicious. Other places might have it now, but a Pittsburgh original.

I guess I never saw this post but SS is right. The Primanti is a great idea. I actually made some at home a few weeks ago and they are dead easy.

http://www.douglasderda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/primantis.jpg

As for drink we used to have the old Iron City beer around here but now they have changed names. With all the hipster, I suppose PBR is the drink of choice lol.

Kid_Bananas
10-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I live in San Francisco Greater Bay Area (South Bay / Silicon Valley). I think the only regional stuff is wine (Napa - 2hr drive) and Sourdough bread (supposedly the most sour you can get). I think my region is more of a cosmopolitan at cuisine since there are lots of foodies and nationalities. Right now the fad is gourmet food trucks.