PDA

View Full Version : Undeleting pictures from an iPhone...

TrojanTeacher
02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Okay, I have undelete software in my possession, but maybe I need a different type of software for an iPhone. I notice that when I hook up an iPhone to my PC, it shows up as a Camera device. What I want it to do is to show up as a "drive". That way I can add/delete data from the phone as if it was a memory card. Anyone know how to activate this setting, if it's possible?

CELockwood
02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Posted this late in the chat, but there's two ways that I know of to approach this (using the iphone as an external HD), though I'm not sure if you'll be able to undelete much.

1) Run software from the PC - there's several applications that do this under windows. One I've used is iphone browser http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list. There are more. Not sure about other systems.

2) Run software from the phone - If your phone is JB, there's a cydia app called USB drive that works perfectly.

TrojanTeacher
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I basically just want it to show up as a drive. I don't think I need to be able to see what is inside each root folder. The program that I use only needs to see it as a drive so that it can try to undelete the media files. Will this software do it?

TrojanTeacher
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Hm, I wonder if this enables me to click on the iPhone as a drive or if, through software, it enables me to store data. If it's just storing data and moving it from place to place, then that won't work with my program. I need to read up on it. Thanks!

CELockwood
02-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I basically just want it to show up as a drive. I don't think I need to be able to see what is inside each root folder. The program that I use only needs to see it as a drive so that it can try to undelete the media files. Will this software do it?

I'm at work and my wife is the one with the iphone, so I can't test. I'll try to remember to look when I get home and see if the iphone browser allows un-deleting as something like that will be the easiest to get running, and I think that I still have it installed on my main pc.

I can't remember ever trying to undelete something, but both those will make the phone act like a USB drive, so I would guess so, but I'm not entirely sure how the iphone handles writes to the storage device and how likely it is to quickly overwrite existing data.

agirard's link gives wireless, which is cool. I hadn't seen that.

TrojanTeacher
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
@Lockwood: So you can actually see the phone as a drive on your "MY COMPUTER" section?

CELockwood
02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Ah, just booted this up; it's been a while since I used it.

I can access the phone in 2 ways. One through My Computer, it's listed as an iphone. Since I have the software already installed, I'm not sure but I think this is available normally, but you can only browse the directory with photos taken with the iphone camera.

If I start the iPhoneBrowser program I have access to the whole phone, but it's not in a normal explorer window, so any special software you've got probably won't work. If I remember correctly the USB drive app works more like a USB drive, but your phone has to be jailbroken.

When I plugged it in, it jogged my memory that itunes does some sort of backup when you connect. I've never used it, but is there any chance your missing files are backed up by itunes somewhere on the PC?

johnboy
02-28-2011, 07:20 PM
What's up with this? It just sounds silly, if I plug my phone into my laptop it's an HTC android phone, it shows up as a connected device and I can import and export photos, music etc and delete photos directly from my computer. I thought Iphones were supposed to be top of the range stuff? Sounds like another reason not to buy Apple devices :devil: :devil: :devil:
Actually for once I'm not hating on the iproduct, I'm just interested as I don't know much about the workings of apple products in general.

TrojanTeacher
02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, the phone is not mine, it's my friends. I'm surprised they don't just allow us to use it as a normal drive. It's pissing me off. :cuss:

CELockwood
03-01-2011, 05:52 AM
This is annoying to me too. The ipods work as a normal USB drive. They purposely did this to the iphones. Idiotic.

ustolemygmrtag
03-01-2011, 08:54 AM
This is why people Jailbreak their Iphones all the time.. Apple limits what you can do with them, figuring you will just give up and purchase an add-on, or widget that does what you want for you. Instead of figuring it out for yourself. Iphones are OK, and they are even 100 times better after you Jailbreak them. I personally am partial to the Android phones. you can do allot more with them, and they are cheaper, and not locked out so you have to jailbreak them.

But, to answer your question. With a unlocked IPhone, it will be almost impossible to recover the pics, unless your friend has them stored on their computer. Sorry, but it is just too much of a pain in the ass. Tell them to get it Jailbroken. recover all her files. upload ALL of them to her computer, and then do a cold boot. This will revert the Iphone to factory specs. Be careful. Because ITunes will Erase everything on the Phone when you do this.

johnboy
03-01-2011, 09:21 AM
It probably explains why there are more Android phones than iphones. Time for some hating I think ;)

CELockwood
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I've been a strong (some would say irrational) Apple and Sony hater for years for proprietary formats, but it doesn't help Teach with his undelete problem.

Other than JB'ing, or the iTunes backup, I can't think of anything else. And even JB'ing, if the Apple file system works like any other 'normal' file system, there's a good chance that you'll overwrite what your trying to recover in the process.

TrojanTeacher
03-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Ah well, no biggie, I told him to get an Android, he didn't. His bad. As for me, EVO here I come! (that is...once the price comes down from $200!!!!) :cuss:

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

CELockwood
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Ah well, no biggie, I told him to get an Android, he didn't. His bad. As for me, EVO here I come! (that is...once the price comes down from $200!!!!) :cuss:

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

That's what I use right now, though mine is from work. Even though I'm not much of a phone aficionado, it's a very slick phone.