PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun

roadrnr
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
http://teammp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2483&start=0 This thread Prof brought up something I've been thinking about doing.

3 gun is just way cool. Wondering if anyone else has ever competed in a 3 gun competition...or any other kind of shooting competition?

Prof, or whoever, did you do any reloading on your own to supply the ammo needed for some of those comps?

Right now, I have everything in terms of gear and guns, with exception of a shotgun shell caddie...but I can do without that for now. The only thing I'm lacking is ammo.

Also, what's your 3 gun setups?

My current one will be: DPMS Ar15, Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 ga and a Springfield XD 9mm. I run all iron sights (with exception to a cheap red dot on the AR)

What say you Team MP?

ProfUnderDog
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
For a couple of years a did a lot of IPSC shooting, pistol and 3 gun. I did it so much that I even became a range officer. Had a lot of fun, but the kids, the money, and the traveling have forced me to cut back.

For pistol a shot both production Springfield XD 9mm with a really nice trigger job and open with an SVI 9mm double stack with red dot and compensator. With the open gun I would load my own ammo in order to make major. I have a Dylan XL650.

For 3 gun, I ran the Springfield, a modified Colt AR 15 with free float barrel, compensator and if there is a tactical division a cheap red dot, and a remington 1100 competition master 12ga. Of all my toys I have to say I love my rifle the most as I put the most work into it. It packs as much as a .223 can while staying on target as fast as a human being can actually sight in the target but has the recoil of a BB gun. After I put all the work into the AR, it really made me wonder why our troops don't have those mods as standard. They do not change the care of the rifle and yet improve accuracy, longevity, and performance.

For fun, nothing beats the SVI. Attacking stages with 29 in a mag and one in the chamber was just plain silly fun. The only downside is you have to shoot so fast to be competitive one mishap and you are out of the running. My favorite annoying mishap would be losing one of the replacement mags as I ran from one station to the other.

If I get back into it, I would love to buy one of the tricked out Saiga to shoot open class 3 gun.

roadrnr
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
For a couple of years a did a lot of IPSC shooting, pistol and 3 gun. I did it so much that I even became a range officer. Had a lot of fun, but the kids, the money, and the traveling have forced me to cut back.

For pistol a shot both production Springfield XD 9mm with a really nice trigger job and open with an SVI 9mm double stack with red dot and compensator. With the open gun I would load my own ammo in order to make major. I have a Dylan XL650.

For 3 gun, I ran the Springfield, a modified Colt AR 15 with free float barrel, compensator and if there is a tactical division a cheap red dot, and a remington 1100 competition master 12ga. Of all my toys I have to say I love my rifle the most as I put the most work into it. It packs as much as a .223 can while staying on target as fast as a human being can actually sight in the target but has the recoil of a BB gun. After I put all the work into the AR, it really made me wonder why our troops don't have those mods as standard. They do not change the care of the rifle and yet improve accuracy, longevity, and performance.

For fun, nothing beats the SVI. Attacking stages with 29 in a mag and one in the chamber was just plain silly fun. The only downside is you have to shoot so fast to be competitive one mishap and you are out of the running. My favorite annoying mishap would be losing one of the replacement mags as I ran from one station to the other.

If I get back into it, I would love to buy one of the tricked out Saiga to shoot open class 3 gun.

That's really cool. I'm going out this month to observe a 3 gun to kind of get a feel for it. It's not real big down here in the Austin area yet, so there aren't too many competitions. If I do compete, it will be in the tactical division so I can run the red dot. I'm just worried about hitting the 400+yrd targets with the rifle and a red dot. My old eyes can't see that far any more :)) The range that hosts these 3 gun has a 1,000 yard rage :x In the 3 gun, they run 3 or 4 targets out to 500 yards. I may have to re-zero my rifle for a 50/200 yard zero instead of 25/100yard just to be able to hit those targets. :-s

All of my guns are stock in terms of triggers etc. I know that I will be at a disadvantage with the pump and shorter magazine tube. So reloading between targets will slow me down. I'm most proficient, however, with the shotgun and rifle. My handgun accuracy could see some improvement and my reload times on all systems are a bit slow. I know those things will keep me out of the running from winning, but I think that it will be fun thing to do. I think that it will also be a good test of my shooting abilities, especially under stress.

I've considered shooting IPSC handgun, but I'm just not that great with a handgun and don't have quite the speed I need for double tap shots.

Talking about our Troops and the guns they use, ironically, a lot of them have mods on the gun. I'm not sure if they put muzzle breaks or compensators on them, but they run lights, IR lasers, VFG and ACOG scopes depending on the mission and the battalion. I wouldn't mind building one of those 14.5" M4s too =p~

I've been considering doing reloading for the rifle, but I don't have the cash right now to put into even a cheap reloading press. If I really get into 3 gun, I will probably start reloading at least .223 and maybe 9mm too...

LandShark
03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Ive never shot in competitions but I have fired many a round. Im definitely going to follow this thread and lurk as Im interested in it.

You definitely reload your own ammo for the performance not saving money. With the new gun control laws the price of powder primer and bullets have sky rocketed. My bro in law used to reload our dove hunting shells but stopped because it cost us as much to reload two boxes as we could go buy a case of ammo at academy.

roadrnr
03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Ive never shot in competitions but I have fired many a round. Im definitely going to follow this thread and lurk as Im interested in it.

You definitely reload your own ammo for the performance not saving money. With the new gun control laws the price of powder primer and bullets have sky rocketed. My bro in law used to reload our dove hunting shells but stopped because it cost us as much to reload two boxes as we could go buy a case of ammo at academy.

I frequent another forum ARFCOM (http://www.ar15.com) and just saw a few days ago that powder and primer have gone up substantially. Figures, I want to start getting into something and the costs go up... :((

I'll update this thread in a couple of weeks after I go to that 3 gun comp and give my impressions. I showed my wife a video last night from one and she thought it looked exciting and said I should definitely give it a try. WOOT!

ProfUnderDog
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, the price of all things shooting related has been skyrocketing ever since we invaded Afghanistan. Bullets, brass, primers, powder, you name it the military has been buying enough of it to put a serious squeeze on the civilian market or at least that's what the vendors want us to believe.

@Roadrnr: fortunately, or unfortunately, for me, we don't have any matches here with rifle shots over 100 meters so a 50 meter battle site works great. What you need are those cool 1x-4x scopes. My favorite is one made by Elcan, the Specter DR, but they are so popular with our armed forces that they have been incredibly hard to find for years. Keep an eye out though because a couple years back there was a very popular, very reliable, and very inexpensive 1x-4x scope though it sold out pretty quickly. I'm with you my old eyes find it hard to shoot iron sight more than 100 meters. What's worse is needing reading glasses to focus on the frontsight! :-o

As for IPSC, just try it for fun like anything else. You'll find just by doing it more regularly you'll pick up the sight quicker and squeeze off faster (and more accurate) double taps. Just be careful as you might find yourself dry firing at home and practicing your draw and reloads around the house. (Hint: don't drop mags on hardwood floors on the concrete basement floor.)

roadrnr
06-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok..well the time has finally come. I'm shooting this 3 gun match on Saturday. Due to life reasons, I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but I'm really excited.

I've checked my zero's on my rifle a couple of times, double checked my zero's again :)) I've got my round count squared away, mags are loaded and all my equipment is setup and ready to go.

Now I just have to get my cooler, sunscreen (hate that crap), chair and other non gun stuff together.

I'm a bit nervous and intimidated because I've never shot competitively before...hell I've never been to a 3 gun event before.

I just keep repeating "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" :))

roadrnr
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Wow shooting 3 gun was a freaking blast!

So Visodd went with me and hung out (but was wishing he shot it with me).

The club that puts on this 3 gun is super cool and welcoming to newcomers. That helped ease the tension for me I think. There were almost 50 shooters there on Saturday, so they broke everyone down into squads (of about 15 or so) and split them among the 4 different stages, with the first shot off at a little after 10am.

I was put into the first squad and started with the 1st stage.

The stages were broken down like this:

stage 1: shotgun only, about 26 birdshot. I was really glad I got to start with this stage. I am most familiar with my shotgun, as I've been shooting this particular gun for almost 20 years. It's really just and extension of me when I shoot it. I only had 3 misses and only one of those was from a mis-calculation of shots in my gun, which caused me to miss a flying clay target.

Stage 2: Pistol and Rifle. I have no idea what the round count was. There were six targets on one side of the barricade with windows to shoot through on the right side, 10 yards away. Then another 6 targets on the right side about 25yrds away. Followed by about 10 steel targets downrange at 90yards. I did ok with this except for the first steel target, that was about 4" in diameter...I couldn't seem to hit that bastard.

Stage 3: Rifle only. This was a very cool stage which consisted of about 35 targets. The catch was it had a 90 sec par time. I was running to the last barricade (25yards at a trot really...) when I hit that limit. #-o

Stage 4: Pistol and Rifle. The coolest of all stages. Had about 12 pistol targets at about 10 yrds, then had to run to 3 more targets before engaging the last 5 long range targets. 3 targets were at 200 yards and 2 were at 480yards. I ran out of time on the 120 sec par time. ONLY because I couldn't see the 4" target @ 200yards with my red dot. I finally hit it at the last second. Sadly, I didn't get to shoot at the 480yrd targets...next time dammit!

Here is the vid that Visodd shot. I edited them all together and added music for fun..

[yt:h6t2bnml]pL7-TBX6s6E[/yt:h6t2bnml]

VisualOddity
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Yea, I'm pretty sick about not shooting. Next time I will for sure... I just can't talk about it further, hurts too much. :o

We were outside in the open from 8am - 3:30pm, when I got home, temp read 108 degrees. pic for proof (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln08moEfgJ1qe56oko1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1308932834&Signature=cNKhTkjvz7MeGHqZpkhpHD1ACLU%3D) :o

This is me around like noon... :D
http://static.pixelpipe.com/dd41a570-9619-4a64-808a-3fa2c3ca1209_m.jpg

And here I am a few hours later. Making lobsters jealous! :o Parts of my face were actually a bit purple. Bad? :D :)) :o
http://static.pixelpipe.com/2b87bd25-44d5-46b0-a62f-d269ce69205f_m.jpg

Raider
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
looks like someone forgot the sunscreen!!! lol, poor visod!! =)) =)) =))

roadrnr
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
:)) I told him to put some on too.

and I HATE sunscreen with a passion. I at least sprayed my arms with that shit. I did, however forget to get my neck and face. That being said, I was always a little bit of a redneck, but after that weekend, I was a little more of a red neck... =))