PDA

View Full Version : MP Member HF Reviews

antagonizer
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I know I am a day early, but I am holding off on homefront, money an time big factors, looking for some honest reviews when homefront comes out tomorrow.

ustolemygmrtag
03-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Good luck, I am a fan boyie all the WAY!!!!

antagonizer
03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
so does that mean u won't give a honest review? some people are skeptical because their last game wasn't very good, me I don't mind games, but cash is tight an I only want to spend money on good games. If I don't get this game I might end up with those famous turtle beaches!!!! I am use to the wii, only had my xbox since just before Christmas, an with the wii you only got one fps really a year. So buying was easy an I had a whole year to play that game, got my moneys worth. I am over whelmed with the choices an only want the good games. I am new to bc2 an really like it. I feel I wasted my money buying b'ops for xbox, not even 15 hours play time on it. So I just want some honest reviews, server issues, map sizes, reload times, graphics etc etc.

Why are u so hooked already? what I see the campaign looks great, but I really am a multiplayer person, so online is the most important to me.

ustolemygmrtag
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
so does that mean u won't give a honest review? some people are skeptical because their last game wasn't very good, me I don't mind games, but cash is tight an I only want to spend money on good games. If I don't get this game I might end up with those famous turtle beaches!!!! I am use to the wii, only had my xbox since just before Christmas, an with the wii you only got one fps really a year. So buying was easy an I had a whole year to play that game, got my moneys worth. I am over whelmed with the choices an only want the good games. I am new to bc2 an really like it. I feel I wasted my money buying b'ops for xbox, not even 15 hours play time on it. So I just want some honest reviews, server issues, map sizes, reload times, graphics etc etc.

Why are u so hooked already? what I see the campaign looks great, but I really am a multiplayer person, so online is the most important to me.
I was just kidding man jezz. :D ;) I am a very sarcastic guy, so don't take me too seriously.

I just love the premise. But, I will be honest in my review. MOH has made me cautious too, but I do not see the signs I did before MOH released.

BTW, TB is a really good investment. You will love em.

antagonizer
03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
I am sorry, don't want to come off as a prude, just wife making me watch where I spend my money, really want the tb's but I want to play with mp's more!

Beano
03-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I heard from my reliable source(dinsdale) that the campaign is crazy short. Can't remember the time he said but I remember it was short. I'm also waiting on some feedback.

MrBlitzer72
03-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I heard singleplayer takes 5 hours total to complete. I think i saw this on a forum posting related to this game, but cant remember where...

~Blitz

dinsdale1978
03-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I heard from my reliable source(dinsdale) that the campaign is crazy short. Can't remember the time he said but I remember it was short. I'm also waiting on some feedback.

The times I am hearing now are longer than what one reviewer said. Someone has quoted 7+ hours but I remember someone saying 3 to 5 hours. Frankly, I am only interested in the MP at this point.

devilsadvoc8
03-14-2011, 09:55 PM
MP is my focus. Please post reviews in here. I want to hear the good and bad. Maybe pick it up this weekend or next if you guys and gals think it is worth it.

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 12:21 AM
I have the game, It is installing on the HDD. Once I get to Level 6, and get the Clan tag. I will post an in depth review of the MP. :cheers:

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 01:19 AM
HomeFront Multi-Player

HomeFront is a action packed Battlefield with tense engagements. With every bullet fired, it leads to more intense battles that escalate into full on wars.

I started my 1st match and my noob level started to show. The Regular COD player will have a definite advantage over the BC2 player when it come to the controls. I went 8 and 12 with 6 assists the 1st round. Also made Level 3. Unlocked some other things as well. I personally do not like the load out screen, it is really confusing at 1st. With tons of unlocks and add ons to go through. But the good part is most are locked until higher levels. So, I do not have to worry about that right now.

The Controls are accurate, and feel balanced. Just wish you could assign your own scheme to them. Gun fire has a very good weighted feel to it. Weapons are accurate, and have a good enough kick that you cannot just hold down continuous fire. Short bursts are much better for long distance firing. There is C4 in the game, along with a variety of grenades.

Piloting the drones and choppers will take a little practice, but no where near the level of Bad Company 2. Graphics are much better than anyone else has said. Personally, I was expecting them to be like Black Ops. But these Graphics blow Black Ops away. Animations, and the rag doll physics are a little off, but I can live with that.

Overall, after 1 game of the MP. I am really getting into it. Once I get the controls down, and get to know the maps a little better. I see HomeFront becoming a major staple in my gaming diet.

There are a couple of balancing issues I want you guys to know about. 1 Is there is dolphine diving. I have had it used on me and lost 4 firefights in a row with the same dude. i tis a good tactic. But, I personally do not think that a person should be able to shoot until at least 2 seconds after he hits the button. That really frustrated me. 2nd is the drones are really too easy to take out. They are a good thing to have, but if you come up on one you will win the firefight if you start shooting at the same time. This should not happen. These are my opinions, and ar subject to change. ;)

The game is very stable. hit detection is a little off, but that can be patched very easily. No missing textures, walking through trees, or other random problems yet. I have played 10 games and no connection issues at all. Voice chat is very solid and easy to control. I have been really paying attention and HomeFront is a solidly built gaming machine on the 360.

The maps flow well, you spawn withing 15 second run from the action, so there are no 4 k runs to the battle. Ground Control is a great deviation from Rush. Depending on who wins the 1st round, the objectives move back into the losers spawn.

I will post more after I get in several more games.

Psalm
03-15-2011, 02:30 AM
I am beat and need to go to bed...but, I made it to level 7 before retiring. Clan tag is like BC2 or COD...not like KZ3.
I will write a review tomorrow...
But, all I have to say tonight is WIN...
This game is awesome....I really, really like it. I played all types including one quick Battle commander match....all seemed good.
Lee, pointed out a few things...but, nothing major. My biggest peave was the lack of Tactical layout...
games are intense...it is a great mix between COD and BC2.

antagonizer
03-15-2011, 04:55 AM
ok, so far 2 thumbs up, would love to hear more after u play a bit more, does it lean more towards cod or bc2? an good sniping, or is it all urban warfare? I noticed when I came over from the wii that control schemes are limited, on the wii u can pretty much lay things out the way u wanted, not so with xbox. How big are the maps? do u get the drones like bc2? ( in base or on map) or do u purchase them? Thanks, an how the heck did u get the game already, midnight release? or mailed early to you? or inside secert?

Jackie R
03-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks for all the details Lee.

Ed, I'm glad to hear that things are running well on the PSN side as well. I was a little worried about that. ;)

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the first impression reviews guys. Sounds like it is worth me picking up today. If I don't like it, I can always go back to KZ3, which is very different and which I am still in love with :x

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM
ok, so far 2 thumbs up, would love to hear more after u play a bit more, does it lean more towards cod or bc2?
[quote]Both. HomeFront is its own game. But, it you took the best from BC2 and COD, then combines them. Out would come HomeFront. Controls are strait out of the COD playbook. Also, the spawning is very similar. The Perks, load outs and vehicles are more like BC2. Maps are a good meshing of the 2. an good sniping, or is it all urban warfare?

There are good sniping spots, but you cannot sit and snipe like you did in COD and BC2. you have to keep moving. Campers are not gonna get too far in this game. The routes are very spread out. So, covering them all is almost impossible.
I noticed when I came over from the wii that control schemes are limited, on the wii u can pretty much lay things out the way u wanted, not so with xbox. How big are the maps?
They are big. Maps are more like BC2 rush maps, they move after you take objectives. do u get the drones like bc2? ( in base or on map) or do u purchase them?

You puchase them like in MW2's Drones. But you completely control them like BC2.
Thanks, an how the heck did u get the game already, midnight release? or mailed early to you? or inside secert?

Your Welcome. Gamestop midnight Release. [/quote:3gb2ib6c]

Toxic Avenger72
03-15-2011, 08:39 AM
I started my 1st match and my noob level started to show. The Regular COD player will have a definite advantage over the BC2 player when it come to the controls. I went 8 and 12 with 6 assists the 1st round. Also made Level 3.

So you made Level 3 in one game or was this over several games?

Piloting the drones and choppers will take a little practice, but no where near the level of Bad Company 2.

I hear that all vehicles are in third person. Care to confirm? In BC2, I run most vehicles in first person so this may take a little getting used to (for me).

The maps flow well, you spawn withing 15 second run from the action, so there are no 4 k runs to the battle. Ground Control is a great deviation from Rush. Depending on who wins the 1st round, the objectives move back into the losers spawn.

I can see Team MP dominating in the Ground Control mode. :D

Did you play any games with the Battle Commander on?

Good review. Picking the game up at lunch. Can't wait to play tonight!

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 08:54 AM
So you made Level 3 in one game or was this over several games?
[quote=ustolemygmrtag]Yes, in one game.

I hear that all vehicles are in third person. Care to confirm? In BC2, I run most vehicles in first person so this may take a little getting used to (for me).

Thay are in Third person view, but it is not hard at all to pilot them.

I can see Team MP dominating in the Ground Control mode. :D

Did you play any games with the Battle Commander on?
Yes

Good review. Picking the game up at lunch. Can't wait to play tonight!

Thank You.
[/quote:1uqkvxqy]

roadrnr
03-15-2011, 09:36 AM
So, I picked up the game last night at midnight and promptly jumped into MP.

I tried for a long time to join in with Landshark and gmrtag but couldn't seem to join. That whole screen was confusing as hell to me, I can't wait to try it again.

Playability: I can say that I enjoyed the game. It feels a lot like BO (not that that's a bad thing) The run is suuuuuuuuuuuuper slow (as compared to BC2). I agree with Lee on the loadout screen, it was kind of confusing. I can see that I will have to spend some time setting up my loadouts.

Graphics are meh. Better than COD but not near as good as BC2 or MOH. The sounds really felt lacking too. I think BC2 has really spoiled me in regards to sounds though...

I didn't really like the feel of the guns. They feel a little underpowered to me. It did seem like it took an awful lot of shots to take down a target. Maybe this is because I'm used to Hardcore mode in BC2. I dunno. There were times last night that it took almost 2 mags to take a guy out. I REALLY wish there was a hardcore mode in this game...it would make it 10X better IMO.

All in all, the game is exactly how I expected it to be. I didn't expect it to be a BC2 killer, and for me, it's not. That being said, I really did enjoy playing it. I got up to a lvl 6 and called it a night. I usually ended up in the 3rd or 4th spot on the team with a mostly positive k/d. The controls were fine, however, I wish I could have my crouch/prone to be the right stick button, but you can't really change the control config. It's either default or southpaw.

Oh...I really enjoy flying the little scout heli. That thing is really fun and I got pretty good at it. I still don't understand how I can buy the scout after I've spawned. The in-game purchases using BPs seems to only be limited to 2 things. Like assault class has 2 options by default, the flak jacket and RPG.

I also jumped in and played a few mins of SP. For some reason, though, the game said I didn't have enough HD space for the autosaves, which was really strange because I have 20Gigs free :-? However, the opening sequence on the bus was horrible!! I almost started bawling at one point...VERY intense. As a parent of a toddler, that was rough.

I think tonight I may sign out of xblive and just play the SP (only if the autosave feature works for me). I might jump in and play some MP, especially if there are quite a few MPs on playing.

Buck Ryerson
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Liking what I hear! Just picked up my copy, now all I have to do is get through the rest of the work day, which will no doubt seem extremely long! Can't wait to join up with everyone tonight!!

Toxic Avenger72
03-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Liking what I hear! Just picked up my copy, now all I have to do is get through the rest of the work day, which will no doubt seem extremely long! Can't wait to join up with everyone tonight!!

You may want to send out friend requests to the rest of the HF MPs. I don't think I received a FR from you yet. The thread is here (http://teammp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2420). The easiest way to send FR out on the XBOX is by looking up a current MPs friend list (Landshark or gmrtag would work), click on the friend, and click on the option to send a friend request. Mark them off on the list as you go down the list.

Buck Ryerson
03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Will Do! Yeah, I originally only sent out requests to the BO list since that was all I was playing. I'll get to that today!

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 11:01 AM
I had a little hiccup with the game today. It froze on me while joining a game with Daylite. But it did it only once, and running smooth ever since.

TrojanTeacher
03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Dolphin Diving!!!!! SHIT!!! Hm...

RC-1136
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I haven't played much MP yet, but the SP campaign is awesome. I only played 2 MP matches and it was fun. So far so good.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Dolphin Diving!!!!! SHIT!!! Hm...
Don't know how it plays out in the game, or other games you have played, but in BO my experience was dolphin diving was pretty useless as an offensive tool and only good for diving behind cover. If someone dived towards me in a gun fight, 99% of the time they were dead before, or as soon as they hit, the ground.

LandShark
03-15-2011, 11:42 AM
first match I joined, 1 hour 40 minutes after est release, there was a level 41. I think Lee said there was a level 71? atop leaderboard with 7 hours gameplay!?

DayliteMag
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Ok. Here are my initial comments. Disclaimer: [1]I am a giant BC2 Fanboy and unfortunately end up comparing everything to that game.[2] I don't know all the technical terminology that reviewers use (i.e. frame rate, etc).[3] I've only played for about an hour and only in MP. Haven't even fired up the SP yet.

Here we go: Overall, I am not very impressed. Graphics are amateurish. It feels a lot more like BlOps than BC2, but not as well made as either. The character runs realllllly slowly and the sway of the AR is annoying. I wish you could form squads and spawn on your squad mates (see disclaimer #1 above).

I thought the lobby system and invite system worked well. Gmrtag and I had a couple of hiccups getting into a match but then it worked fine (NOTE: sorry Lee that I had to bail out but I got a phone call). Party system worked fine. Didn't have to listen to annoying randoms.

For Ground Domination, I'm pretty sure that a group of MPs all communicating positions could work well. There are three flags (A,B,C) and the maps are generally pretty small'ish so as long as everyone says, "Go to Alpha" then I think we could kick some butt in this game.

The Load-Out screens seemed a bit confusing, but I think it would be easy to get used to.

I will keep playing, but I'm pretty sure I will be going back to BC2...unless everyone migrates over to HF in which case I will follow. I feel like I need to be as honest as possible on this forum, b/c I think a few people are watching their pennies. If I were in that situation I would NOT buy HF but instead stick with BC2 (or BlOps if that's your poison). BC2 is a much better game (IMHO) and especially if you have only recently started playing BC2 then I would stick with it.

As I said, I will keep playing it for a little while. At this moment I haven't played enough to make a concrete judgement. These are just initial impressions after only about an hour of play.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
first match I joined, 1 hour 40 minutes after est release, there was a level 41. I think Lee said there was a level 71? atop leaderboard with 7 hours gameplay!?
Sounds like a hacker to me. Can't see someone getting that high in rank that quickly. This is worrisome.

Ok. Here are my initial comments....
Thanks for the review DL. I had a feeling that people who are firmly in the BC2 and COD camps would find this game to be inferior, but that those of us who like some aspects from both may really like it.

Keep the reviews coming. I am still not sure if I will pick this up tonight, or let it sit for a couple days to get more feedback. I love KZ3, even if hardly any MPs are playing it, and I don't want to spend $60 on another FPS game if no one ends up playing HF in a couple weeks, because if that happens, I would just assume stick with KZ3 and wait for Brink.

Jackie R
03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Yep...hopefully these guys get snuffed out quickly.

I wanted to know...has anyone played using the battle commander? What are your thoughts? Sounded like it was going to provide a fresh dimension to this genre and I was wondering how well it works in practice. :-?

sam007
03-15-2011, 12:00 PM

you gotta be joking, level 71 from 7 hours gameplay?

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Kaos has said they are looking into it. And they are going to release the ban hammer soon. That would be cool as hell to see all the whining bitches on the HomeFront forums.

The more I play the more I love this game.

Here are so noob pointers for everyone.

If you got a pre-order bonus, enter them in 1st before starting the game. They will not download while Homefront is running. Once you get them downloaded, install Homefront to your HDD. There are long load times if you do not. After this, start the game, and proceed to the Xbox Live menu. Then it will ask you for you online code that came with the game. Enter it, and then go back to the XBL dashboard. After this is done restart the game. Now you are ready to play Homefront.

The menus are easily navigated. They can be a little intimidating at 1st, but go through them for a minute so get the feel. You can see all your friends, and XBL party options from the XBL menu in-game. This is really convenient for control.

To add, the clan tag is just an unlock, anyone can use it once you unlock it. Just enter MP in the Clan tag slot, and you are done.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure about HF now. The bigger publications are saying it is *meh*. No offense GT, but I am wanting to hear more feedback from MPs who haven't been promoting this game for months. If I get HF, it will be the last game I can get for awhile, so I don't want to get a game I will play for a few hours and then go back to KZ3.

Psalm
03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I am really busy today and haven't had time to stop by much....
I said I would do a full review...but, I still don't have the time.

Bottom line. This game is much, much better than Black Ops as far as MP.
The confusion on the loadout is due to lack of play time.
I played with it for a while and like the perk layout quite a bit. It is hard to describe. But, my suggestion is play to about level 4 and then go back and start looking thru it...you have weapons camo...you have at least 8 scopes for the weapons I had (mostly cosmetic)...it is very cool. perks are totally different than COD as to how you can equip them..they are worth 1,2 or 3 points.
all in all. is it better than Black Ops...yes. Is it better than BC2. Probably not if you are a hardcore BC2 guy. I prefer the loadout menu and the killstreaks ala' Battlepoints to BC2...
Nate, Jackie, Dinsdale....I think you guys will like this game. Is it as pretty as BC2 or MW2...no. but, it is on par with Black Ops.
Sound is underwhelming but not horrible.
One thing I noticed is that the voice chat on the PS3 side sounds better than any other game I have played. Some people sounded unbelievably clear.
I will try to answer any questions you may have....as I won't be playing till tonight...

overall....8.5 out of 10

Retro
03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure about HF now. The bigger publications are saying it is *meh*. No offense GT, but I am wanting to hear more feedback from MPs who haven't been promoting this game for months. If I get HF, it will be the last game I can get for awhile, so I don't want to get a game I will play for a few hours and then go back to KZ3.
Well I won't go into detail as Daylite summed it up well. But my reaction after playing both the SP & MP for awhile was meh. The game looks fine and plays fine but I found it really boring.

If I were to go by the Buy, Rent or Pass scale then I'd say it's worth a rent.

DayliteMag
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Yep...hopefully these guys get snuffed out quickly.

I wanted to know...has anyone played using the battle commander? What are your thoughts? Sounded like it was going to provide a fresh dimension to this genre and I was wondering how well it works in practice. :-?

Hey JR, haven't tried Battle Commander, yet. I want to give it a try, and think it might be what sets this game apart...not sure yet.

I was just playing with Landshark and Blitzer. Fun, but mostly b/c we were in the same party and could talk while playing. We couldn't seem to get into a Ground Control match so we switched and played TDM. I couldn't see how we would use team tactics, but that could just be b/c we are all new to the game (although, at one point I was in an elevated position and could see that Blitzer was about to be attacked by some kind of aerial vehicle (looked like a frisbee on crack) and he was able to shoot it down pretty easily...so I guess that was an example of some team work). I did not like the fact that it put us on opposite teams, but then we joined up in the next match, so maybe that is just at the outset. It sucks not being able to pick your spawn point, or spawn on a team mate. That is something that would be nice to have.

The more I play this game the more it reminds me of CoD (but not as polished). You rank up real fast. I've only played for about 2 hours and I'm already at Level 7 (at 6 you get to enter your Clan Tag...which is super easy to figure out).

Anyway, I will put up more review later. At this moment, I would still warn people to wait a bit before shelling out the do-ra-mi for HF.

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Judging from the reviews that MP's are giving it, I think Homefront might be around for a while. Some do not like it, and that is to be expected. But overall, I am very pleased with my purchase, and it will remain in my library of games until BF3.

dinsdale1978
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I just picked mine up from GS. My wife is already exhausted from being under the weather and having a hard day so once she is asleep I will be on the Homefront.

Jackie R
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Nate, Jackie, Dinsdale....I think you guys will like this game.
Thanks Ed...I'm sure I will. Hey! Look how much pleasure I got out of an $8 downloadable title. ;)

Hey JR, haven't tried Battle Commander, yet. I want to give it a try, and think it might be what sets this game apart...not sure yet.
That's what I'm hoping for. http://images.missembar.multiply.com/image/2/photos/11/400x400/23/Fingers-Crossed-emoticon.gif?et=YH6C849dx94RttnGc7gvzA&nmid=213950073

DamianThorn
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Just had to chime in real quick,and say this game is CRACK!!!!! I haven't started the sp yet (jumped right into mp) because the mp is so damn addicting.
I'm not exactly sure what the complaints are against the graphics,as I feel they are on par with BC2,and a step above BLOPS,so I'm more than happy with that....besides, it's the gameplay that should matter...and the mp is just plain out FUN!

The maps are really nice sized,no "shoe box" size here,more along the lines of BC,but the one thing that really stands out is the hit detection....it's actually very good,not once did I feel cheated.

What does bother me however (but I guess it's kinda cool) is you can only have one attachment on at a time. So for instance...if you want to use the suppressor,you can't use a scope of any kind (unless I missed something somewhere) and vice versa.

It's really hard to put into words how this game feels (between blops & BC)...the best word I can use is fun.
I do like when spawning you get a view of where dudes are at,now while that may sound a little weird,it actually works out to be quite nice....as camping is basically non-existent. Thats not to say getting the kills are easy,or they'll still be in that general area...but you do get an idea of where guys are ATTEMPTING to camp.

I can safely say I will be rolling with this until BF3,and probably beyond...it's that damn fun.

I've seen elsewhere folks have stated that if BC and BLOPS had a kid,Homefront would be the result.
I guess the best I could describe it is...take COD's customization,and throw in BC's pace and feel,mix in some really good hit detection,and that gives you Homefront.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Just had to chime in real quick,and say this game is CRACK!!!!! I haven't started the sp yet (jumped right into mp) because the mp is so damn addicting.
I'm not exactly sure what the complaints are against the graphics,as I feel they are on par with BC2,and a step above BLOPS,so I'm more than happy with that....besides, it's the gameplay that should matter...and the mp is just plain out FUN!

The maps are really nice sized,no "shoe box" size here,more along the lines of BC,but the one thing that really stands out is the hit detection....it's actually very good,not once did I feel cheated.

What does bother me however (but I guess it's kinda cool) is you can only have one attachment on at a time. So for instance...if you want to use the suppressor,you can't use a scope of any kind (unless I missed something somewhere) and vice versa.

It's really hard to put into words how this game feels (between blops & BC)...the best word I can use is fun.
I do like when spawning you get a view of where dudes are at,now while that may sound a little weird,it actually works out to be quite nice....as camping is basically non-existent. Thats not to say getting the kills are easy,or they'll still be in that general area...but you do get an idea of where guys are ATTEMPTING to camp.

I can safely say I will be rolling with this until BF3,and probably beyond...it's that damn fun.

I've seen elsewhere folks have stated that if BC and BLOPS had a kid,Homefront would be the result.
I guess the best I could describe it is...take COD's customization,and throw in BC's pace and feel,mix in some really good hit detection,and that gives you Homefront.
WINNING!

Psalm
03-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Good analaysist Damien

If you are expecting Black Ops or BC2 this isn't it....its just different. And personally. Thats what I needed from an FPS right about now.

dinsdale1978
03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Screw you guys, I am going to go play Hello Kitty! Island Adventure. =))

dinsdale1978
03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
So on a forum if someone is being a Homefront fan-boy, are we going to say they are "Fronting?"

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
So on a forum if someone is being a Homefront fan-boy, are we going to say they are "Fronting?"
I don't know. GT, what do you think? :smug: :-" :D

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't know. GT, what do you think? :smug: :-" :D :-? :-?? :-bd

DamianThorn
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
I really hope you're not referring to me as a "fanboy" :)) I call it like I see it.
I recently just got my PS3,before that I had a 360,and played about 300 hours of BC and 45-50 hours of BLOPS,I guess you can tell which game I liked better... =))

I'm serious when I state that I cannot understand some of the hate this game is receiving on the official forums...I mean seriously,is everybody there 13-19?? I haven't had this much fun since my days on BC,and to me that says alot about this game.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I really hope you're not referring to me as a "fanboy" :)) I call it like I see it.
I recently just got my PS3,before that I had a 360,and played about 300 hours of BC and 45-50 hours of BLOPS,I guess you can tell which game I liked better... =))

I'm serious when I state that I cannot understand some of the hate this game is receiving on the official forums...I mean seriously,is everybody there 13-19?? I haven't had this much fun since my days on BC,and to me that says alot about this game.
A lot of people are firmly in the COD camp, and nothing, no matter how good, will beat COD for them, which is fine, but rather than say they prefer COD for a particular reason, they just shit all over anything that isn't COD.

EDIT: I have exceeded my comma allotment for the day with the above sentence.

DamianThorn
03-15-2011, 03:07 PM

A lot of people are firmly in the COD camp, and nothing, no matter how good, will beat COD for them, which is fine, but rather than say they prefer COD for a particular reason, they just **** all over anything that isn't COD.

Oh I totally agree Borlax,it's ridiculous how far some people will go to defend their "baby"....it's as though you walked up and smacked their Mom or something.. =))

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
....it's as though you walked up and smacked their Mom or something.. =))
Well, when I would play COD, that is exactly what the fanboys would tell me what they were going to do.

DamianThorn
03-15-2011, 03:15 PM
....it's as though you walked up and smacked their Mom or something.. =))
Well, when I would play COD, that is exactly what the fanboys would tell me what they were going to do.

:)) .....That or I would be continually cussed out,but then my favorite....the "homo" line.

antagonizer
03-15-2011, 03:34 PM
ok guess post didn't post, how is the health in this, cod or bc style? med paks? don't need turtle beaches for this one? is there knifing in this? please keep opinions coming, still sitting high on the fence on this one, might have to do a rental, but to me, I want to play with MP'S that is where the fun is, I can do in cod or bc, but the people I have been playing with are awesome, an I wish to continue.

Also, I would love to get sniperallas opinion on this game, you have seen Lee play, what do u see an think? I know what u said last night, but I think u would give a honest opinion, is it going to win u over? or do we need drunkeralla around? eheheheh. jk.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
ok guess post didn't post, how is the health in this, cod or bc style? med paks? don't need turtle beaches for this one? is there knifing in this? please keep opinions coming, still sitting high on the fence on this one, might have to do a rental, but to me, I want to play with MP'S that is where the fun is, I can do in cod or bc, but the people I have been playing with are awesome, an I wish to continue.
No medics or healing. You regenerate health like a COD game.

Some reviews say the sounds effects are awesome, but others, and even a few MP, have said they are not nearly as good as BC2, so TB couldn't hurt, but probably not the best audio game.

Yes, knifing like COD. I do not believe you collect dog tags like BC2.

It sounds like many 360 MPs are still on the fence, and some will never stop playing BC2 until BF3 comes out, so I am sure you will find a good group of MPs to play BC2 with still if you don't buy HF.

Toxic Avenger72
03-15-2011, 03:40 PM

I'm calling shenanigans. Look at the game leaderboard here (http://www.homefront-game.com/leaderboard). There are some people on there with ~300 hours of play. The person with the top score (~2 million), only has 45 hours of play, and only a level 23?!?!? I don't think so. I'm hoping that is just a glitch on the website.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM

I'm calling shenanigans. Look at the game leaderboard here (http://www.homefront-game.com/leaderboard?sort=desc&order=Time+Played). There are some people on there with ~300 hours of play. The person with the top score (~2 million), only has 45 hours of play, and only a level 23?!?!? I don't think so. [-( I'm hoping that is just a glitch on the website.
I am sure d-bags are hacking the leadboards. I had heard they reset the servers at midnight, so no one at this point should have more than 24 hours of game time.

Psalm
03-15-2011, 03:53 PM
The leaderboards were messed up when I played last night....I am sure they still are

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I am really digging this game. It is breathing fresh air into a stale game Genra. See you guys on tonight.

Borlaxx
03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I am really digging this game. It is breathing fresh air into a stale game Genra. See you guys on tonight.
Are you sure you didn't give the THQ guys a link to this forum as a reference? =))

dinsdale1978
03-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Also, I would love to get sniperallas opinion on this game, you have seen Lee play, what do u see an think? I know what u said last night, but I think u would give a honest opinion, is it going to win u over? or do we need drunkeralla around? eheheheh. jk.

the sound is okay but there isn't a marked advantage to having high end headsets. Not like in COD. The knifing is decent and there is a perk for increased knife range. (Glad they didn't hide the commando knife.) The guns don't have as much kick it seems but to me the sounds of the guns are rather artificial. There's one that sounds more like a jackhammer on a tin roof than an assault rifle. Be careful of the rentals as you might not be able to play online for more than a few levels.

DayliteMag
03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Don't need TB headset. Sound is fine, but I don't think you will gain an advantage from the high-end headsets.

Played some more. It is entertaining, but nothing special. On the other hand I am loving my Homefront Tee-Shirt!

antagonizer
03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
only playing a couple levels would hopefully be enough to tell me if I want it, question is, is this going to last, an only time will tell

Sckrapps
03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Sweet t-shirt Daylite! I'm starting to look forward to the "tired DFC with brand-new game" picture that comes with every major release!

Thanks for all the reviews, and please keep 'em coming, especially as time goes on and the experience sinks in for everyone. I'm in Las Vegas for business (howdy from Vegas, btw) and then have friends coming to visit so it will be awhile before I have the chance to play, but I'm enjoying reading all the opinions. Thanks guys.

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Don't need TB headset. Sound is fine, but I don't think you will gain an advantage from the high-end headsets.

Played some more. It is entertaining, but nothing special. On the other hand I am loving my Homefront Tee-Shirt!

Cool T-Shirt. I want One!!! :-B If I come home with anymore Homefront stuff, you will see my face on milk cartons. :-$

DayliteMag
03-15-2011, 08:37 PM
OK. The game is starting to grow on me a bit more. HATE the connection issues, of which we have had many. Hopefully those will get ironed out as they bring more servers online. For those who like a run n' gun type game then this one will not disappoint. The slow running speed of the characters is something you get used to. After about 4 hours of play I don't really notice it anymore.

We were able to utilize some teamwork on Ground Control. Worked well when we all took one flag and then left a couple guys to defend it while the rest moved to the next flag. That round was for me the most fun. Least fun is TDM, which I can already tell will be dominated by the 12 y/o CoD players.

For me, whether or not I stick with HF will depend on other MPs. If everyone sticks with it then I probably will too.

ProfUnderDog
03-15-2011, 10:39 PM
We'll see if this one grows on me. I like the maps better than BO because they are much bigger. The game mechanics, however, are not as smooth as either BC2 or BO. The spawning system has a lot to be desired. In fact, I might say it sucks. You do a lot of running/slow running just to get back to the action. Also, I really hope they work out the party system because the only reason I will play this game is for the team play with my MP mates. And, we were definitely having issues joining in, joining together, etc. I would agree with Retro that so far my reaction is Meh. I'm not returning it, but I'm not loving it yet either.

dinsdale1978
03-16-2011, 01:32 AM
I am going to have to agree with Prof on this one. The party system is just horrid and I spent more time looking for a match than playing in one. The maps are tolerable but the rather clunky controls just make me want to go back and play something else. In fact, I did pop in Medal of Honor for a reminder of what everyone labelled as a bad but interesting game. I had more fun than I did playing with a full squad. I hope that having some MP's around in a party will make this game worth the money. Also the problem with renting is that you don't really get enough stuff to see how good some of the guns can be.

wilmh
03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
I rented Homefront so that if I didn't care for the game it would only cost me $10 instead of $65.

I haven't touched the campaign yet.

As far as MP is concerned, one initial problem that I found was that without purchasing an activation code (similar to BC2) you are only able to level up to a level 5 in MP. You are able to still play MP so that's cool from a rental prospective (so at least you can get a feel for the game). Normally the Blockbuster around my house would leave the activation codes in the game cases so the first user was able to use the code and have full access. I realize that isn't fair for the person purchasing the used game, but it was cool for me when I rented Medal of Honor on the release day. This wasn't the case yesterday as the code was already gone or removed by Blockbuster.

I tried to play about 6 pm last night and was able to get about 3 minutes of game play in the first 90 minutes or so due to overloaded servers and bad connections. I tried to join Dinsdale and Psalm a couple of times without luck. I encountered 3 system freezes in that 90 minutes....one where I thought it had killed the PS3 (PS3 was on, but had no video and wouldn't reboot).

I finally turned off the PS3 and tried again about 9 pm. I was able to join games although wasn't able to join any other MP's. The maps are larger like BC2 which I like. Like Prof and Dinsdale mentioned above, I don't care for the spawn system other than the fact that you get a quick view of where teammates and some enemies are located relating to your position. Graphics are okay...I think the simple text that appears on the screen just needs more fit and finish. I had the sound down due to my son sleeping so I can't comment much there. The battlepoints are a cool concept however I found that I commonly died just after spending my points where essentially I would loose those points.

Overall, I like the game and if the connection issues are fixed this could be a game that I would play regularly with one catch.......I must have team-mates to play with. READ: if a group of MP's regularly play this, I'll buy it. If not, I'll try to beat the campaign this week and then go back to Blops/BC2.

ustolemygmrtag
03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Just give them a little time to work on the servers. ;) Do you guys remember MW2 and BC2's launch problems. They were way worse than this. #-o The MP is great, and addicting once you give it some time. Right now no one here know the map layout, routes, or objective areas. Once you all get those and other unknowns down, the game turns out to be a very Tactical game. :D

Like I said int he Strategies thread. We have to pick our targets and stick to them through the match. If there is only a couple of us, we pick "A" and stick to getting it, and protecting it. The Team Death Match is definite run and gun game. (-| But, you throw BC into it, and WOW, the game dynamic changes. :-o

Give it at least a couple of weeks so they can iron out these bugs and get the additional servers up and running. And to identify and correct the Problems. KAOS CHEFS just posted this.

I'm here dude. It's hard to provide an accurate update, since right now we're identifying the issues. Once we have a firm grasp on what the problems exactly are & how they occur (reproduced in QA), I'll be in a much better position to provide an update on moving forward. Thanks for your patience!

RC-1136
03-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Good analaysist Damien

If you are expecting Black Ops or BC2 this isn't it....its just different. And personally. Thats what I needed from an FPS right about now.
Ed, I agree with you completely. I played this a lot more last night and here is how I feel.

First, I love the campaign. The story is very emotional and scary. The graphics aren't great, but the story and emotion makes up for it. The AI is decent and use cover, but I have seen some Norks do some stupid things.

MP Cons:
1. Party System Sucks. So did BO's at first so lets wait and see.
2. Too many Snipers all ready.
3. I'm not sure if I like having only 2 game types (4 is you count BC) I like it now, but will it be enough to keep playing?
4. Playstation locked up 3 times. It did the same thing to me the night before playing BO's so I don't know yet if it's my machine.

MP Pros:
1. Like the Weapons so far.
2. Flak jacket for the money is awesome.
3. I like how you unlcok gun attachments and camos by getting kills and completing challenges like in COD 4 and MW2. I hate the COD point system in BO's
4. I like how you have a much bigger range of look sensitivity than you do in COD games. Still looking for my optimum one.

That is all I can think of for now. I think once they get the connection and party system fixed this could be a game that I play for a while.

Psalm
03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
The party issues are horrid as Dinsdale said earlier...I never had a problem connecting to a game by myself...but, parties don't work right now...bottom line.
BETA...beta...beta...this is why you have beta's...seriously THQ
I think the map rotation is screwed up at this point as well....I need to remember the names of the maps...but, I seemed to play a lot of the same maps...

Oh yeah...all I can say is the Abrahms absolutley rapes...
I got one last night and tore shit up..I destroyed 3 Bradleys/LAV's, 1 ground drone and about 10 people...so worth the money. And I didn't even have a gunner...need me an MP gunner and game over...lol

TheFreak75
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I like the SP, the story drags you in and you get hooked. MP whole different story, like it but was having a lot of issues yesterday to join in with the other MPs, the drones i'm liking , as well as the battlepoints system ( how you can buy stuff right on the spot). Maps are large with a lot of places to hide and look around. To me it feels too similar to BO for the fact that you go in and two seconds later your dead. It's hard to see the opponents and it takes alot to kill them as well. Overall the game is not bad, it's just gonna take a little getting used to, and it will depend on how many other MPs stick with the game that will make me go gaga for it. Love My BC2 way too much!!!!!!

Tracer-M_D_C
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Many thanks for the detailed reviews... haven't got a bit of work done this morning, but do feel 'Homefront Enlightened' :p

Borlaxx
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, I have played the first level and only about an hour of the MP in Ground Control, and here and my initial impression.

Graphics/Presentation
This game is not very good looking in the graphics department. Not game breaking bad, but the textures are muddy, the drawl distance isn't very good to where enemies in the distance are hard to see or just look like a blob of white in the distance, and there are a ton of jaggies. I was playing way past the time I normally go to bed and that may have played a role, but the game looks blurry to me and almost hurt my eyes at times. The facial animations are pretty bad, too. Don't even get me started on the grenade throwing animation, which IMO is so bad it is LOL pathetic.

The game certainly doesn't look as good as MW2 or BC2, and although the textures really aren't any worse than BO, BO did have far fewer jaggies and MUCH MUCH better facial animations. I hate comparing this game to other FPS games, but it is the worse looking FPS visually I have played on the PS3 with the exception of Modern Combat Domination, which is only $8. After playing KZ3 for weeks, this game looks downright horrible. However, it isn't so bad I can't enjoy it otherwise.

The presentation on the other hand, at least during the first level of the SP, is EPIC! That bus ride was one of the most gut wrenching things I have ever witnessed in a video game. I think the game makes up for the poor technical graphics with a very stylized and moving atmosphere. After a few minutes in SP and MP I found myself not noticing the poor textures and jaggies as much, but I was looking around at the eerie scenery. As long as the game proves to be fun, I think the atmosphere and setting will trump the poor graphics.

Gameplay
Been here, done this for the most part. Game controls pretty much just like a COD game, which isn't really a bad thing to me. I just wish they added something new control wise. However, I am digging the new design choices like the battle points. Haven't got to try the battle commander modes yet, but those sound awesome! One major plus is that even with server problems, I had zero lag and the hit detection seemed spot on. Those two things are probably the two biggest things that can make a game unplayable for me.

Also, ground control is pretty damn fun. I don't really mind just having really two modes (TDM and GC with battle commander versions) because BC2 only has three, and GC is really like two of the BC2 modes combined, so essentially HF has the same modes as BC2. Sure, more modes would be cool, but I still think these modes are fine to keep people playing.

The action and leveling and perks seems a lot like a COD game, and the modes and maps are a lot like BC2. If you like these two things combined, you will like this game. If you hate the action in a COD game but love the BC2 modes and better defined classes, then you will still enjoy BC2 a lot more. If you love COD, but find BC2 objective modes to be boring and don't like the set classes, you will still enjoy COD more.

Technical Issues
I had the game freeze on me twice. Not good at all.

I don't mind the movement speed at all since I have been playing KZ3, but running doesn't seem any faster than walking. They need to fix this.

I was spawn raped by the same sniper three times in a row, they need to do something about the spawns.

Lasting Value
I am not sold on this game yet. I have only played it online for about an hour, so I need to give it some more time, but I have a feeling people will play this for awhile and then go back to their game of choice, be that BO, BC2, or in my case KZ3.

The game seems fun and has some good ideas, but I am just not sure if the good ideas are enough to keep people interested. When I really think about it this game for the most part just borrows elements from the COD and BC2, throws them together with inferior graphics, but doesn't do anything better than the games it has melded together.

Like I said, I am going to give it time, but so far, I am not ready to call this game a WIN.

EDIT
I do need to add that I was gaming half asleep and angry last night, which could have played a big role in my lack of enjoyment, and I am tired as hell today, which could be causing me to be more negative than I would be normally. I will have to try it again when I am better rested and not aggravated with my wife.

roadrnr
03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Well, I played it some more last night. I started the SP on hard (which I almost never do) and the game is cheap. You throw a grenade then all of the ai targets start chucking grenades. Also, I noticed that AI can shoot you through a window (and blinds) but you can only shoot through the opening in the window (not the blinds). Seriously? c'mon!

The story is good, but like others have said, the graphics are horrid. I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but this game looks like a original xbox game. In some ways it looks better than BO, but in others worse. I also hate the "hit x to climb the ladder" then the whole thing is scripted...wtf? I didn't like that in COD and I don't like it now.

I tried for over an hour to get into any kind of MP game. Both with fellow MPs and lone wolfing it. It was nearly impossible. Once I did get into a game, it was a sniper fest in GC. I can get past that, but damn it was frustrating. I really think the guns are underpowered. Then again, I'm used to MOH/BC2 where guns can kill. Sniper rifles are at least 2 shots every time. Not liking that at all.

All in all, I will probably finish the SP game and try and play some MP games with other clan mates. After about a week or so, I will probably just sell this game. I don't really see any lasting power in this game. In fact, I think I have more fun in MOH than HF. It sucks, I really want to like this game, I'm just not sure if I can. However, after the MOH debacle, I tried my best to get other MPs to give that game a shot and not rage return. So, I'm going to take my own advice here and do the same.

Psalm
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
The second Sniper rifle which is bolt-action is a one shot kill above the waist....it pwns.

Well, I played it some more last night. I started the SP on hard (which I almost never do) and the game is cheap. You throw a grenade then all of the ai targets start chucking grenades. Also, I noticed that AI can shoot you through a window (and blinds) but you can only shoot through the opening in the window (not the blinds). Seriously? c'mon!

The story is good, but like others have said, the graphics are horrid. I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but this game looks like a original xbox game. In some ways it looks better than BO, but in others worse. I also hate the "hit x to climb the ladder" then the whole thing is scripted...wtf? I didn't like that in COD and I don't like it now.

I tried for over an hour to get into any kind of MP game. Both with fellow MPs and lone wolfing it. It was nearly impossible. Once I did get into a game, it was a sniper fest in GC. I can get past that, but damn it was frustrating. I really think the guns are underpowered. Then again, I'm used to MOH/BC2 where guns can kill. Sniper rifles are at least 2 shots every time. Not liking that at all.

All in all, I will probably finish the SP game and try and play some MP games with other clan mates. After about a week or so, I will probably just sell this game. I don't really see any lasting power in this game. In fact, I think I have more fun in MOH than HF. It sucks, I really want to like this game, I'm just not sure if I can. However, after the MOH debacle, I tried my best to get other MPs to give that game a shot and not rage return. So, I'm going to take my own advice here and do the same.

dinsdale1978
03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
The presentation on the other hand, at least during the first level of the SP, is EPIC! That bus ride was one of the most gut wrenching things I have ever witnessed in a video game. I think the game makes up for the poor technical graphics with a very stylized and moving atmosphere. After a few minutes in SP and MP I found myself not noticing the poor textures and jaggies as much, but I was looking around at the eerie scenery. As long as the game proves to be fun, I think the atmosphere and setting will trump the poor graphics.

I wanted to ask those that played this if some of the inclusion of children in these scenes was too much? I don't want to sound wishy-washy but that scene with the toddler on the corner while you are riding on the bus nearly made me take the game out. Maybe I am too empathetic and put my daughter in that scene in my mind but did they need to go that far to make the story that desperate and personal? I didn't play Dead Rising 2 because of the ties with the daughter. Is there a line game developers are crossing because of the "daddening" of gaming?

Maybe I should start a new topic about this in general...

Psalm
03-16-2011, 09:58 AM

I wanted to ask those that played this if some of the inclusion of children in these scenes was too much? I don't want to sound wishy-washy but that scene with the toddler on the corner while you are riding on the bus nearly made me take the game out. Maybe I am too empathetic and put my daughter in that scene in my mind but did they need to go that far to make the story that desperate and personal? I didn't play Dead Rising 2 because of the ties with the daughter. Is there a line game developers are crossing because of the "daddening" of gaming?

I haven't played any SP yet...but, it sounds like they played to that quite a bit.

roadrnr
03-16-2011, 09:59 AM

I felt the same way...

Borlaxx
03-16-2011, 10:02 AM

I felt the same way...
It was a little too much. Almost made me choke up. I can understand why they put it in to make you angry and to display the horrors of war, but more than anything I think it was put in for shock value rather than any reason to advance the plot.

Retro
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM

It's just a bunch of pixels in a game. I don't think any line is being crossed and if they are then those lines have been crossed long ago in books, TV and Film. It's why they put a big M on the front of the game.

jacknighttamer
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I would say this game is better than BO but not better than BFBC2. To me it has the BO feel to the game. I like the maps and the battle points system is OK.
I will play this for a little while but I miss not playing with other MP's, hopefully tonight be able to hook up with a few.

mechatool
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I only played the MP so far last night and some this morning. The severs were better in the morning, due to less traffic I think. I am enjoying the game so far. I plan on making this and KZ3 my go to FPS. I am at level 11 or 12 right now. I can wait to unlock more of the guns.

Retro
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
This game may have taken 5 hours to complete but that is most likely do to the fact that you have to wait for the AI to stand around and spout dialog before a door can be kicked in and I don't mean it's a cut scene, it's dialog during the "action".

I can see people really getting into the MP as it works fine, I have not had any lag of technical problems with the MP. The SP did have some stutters and screen tearing. I don't think you can really compare this to BlOps or BC2. I'll give Kaos credit as this was their first major release so there will be a learning curve. But will also say that THQ dropped the ball as they hyped this game up to the point that made it nearly impossible for it to live up to the build up. All the talk of originality and innovation, I really didn't see any of that.

Pros:
MP works really well, the tech problems that have come up are easily fixed with a patch. (They could have been avoided altogether with as beta though!)
Interesting story concept.

Cons:
Visuals, this game looks like a really good Xbox or PS2 title
A.I. is pretty dumb.
The campaign is way too short. Just as it seemed like things were firing up it just ends. If your going to endlessly hype up the SP and the fact that John Milus helped write it, you best bring something special, they didn't.

Visuals: 1.5 / 5
Audio: 2 / 5
MP: 3.5 / 5

Overall: 3 / 5

If they get the small issues with the MP fixed quickly then I'd say the MP score would be a solid 4 out of 5. Personally this game just didn't click with me and not because I'm stuck or just hung up with another game (gamertag!). I just think for me the whole modern combat style has run it's course. Had Homefront come out last year before I felt like I was getting burnt out by these types of games, I might be more interested in it.

FPS games over the last few years:
CoD4: WIN
BF:BC: WIN
MW2: Fail
BF:BC2: WIN
MoH: Fail
BlOps: Fail
HF: Meh

Borlaxx
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
FPS games over the last few years:
CoD4: WIN
BF:BC: WIN
MW2: Fail
BF:BC2: WIN
MoH: Fail
BlOps: Fail
HF: Meh
You forgot

Borderlands: WIN
Killzone 2 and 3: EPIC WINS
Modern Combat Domination: for $8, WIN
W@W: WIN

I too am getting burned out on FPS games. However, I am not burned out on Team MP, which is why I keep playing FPS games.

TrojanTeacher
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Alright, I gave the game about 2 hours on SP and 1 hour on MP (and I do mean 1 hour of playing, not waiting to connect) and here is my review of the game:

1. Spawning[b]

Pros: I like that you can see where everyone is. I truly think think that THQ and KAOS have figured out how to prevent spawn camping as you can see where the campers are and they get taken care of quickly. I like how you can see the places of heavy combat. The fact that they spawn you about 15 seconds or less from battle is cool.

Cons: It doesn't really make a lot of sense where they spawn you sometimes. It can be near an already captured point or near the enemy. I can't even count the amount of times that I've been spawn right behind a camping sniper and I just knife them. This has also happened to me that I'm running to an objective point and then all of the sudden I'm dead because someone spawned behind me. ANNOYING! Last night, on the last map that I played, I went 1 - 18 because of people spawning right next to me.

2. [b]Graphics

Pros: The title screen looks really good!

Cons: Basically everything. It's not terrible, but just surprising that they would release a game with these type of graphics when KZ3 and BC2 have already shown you how games should be looking at this time. Psalm said it best when he stated that at times he felt a bit dizzied because of the blurring of the graphics. I don't know if this is possible to patch, but definitely doesn't help them out in quality of the way the game looks. I know that graphics shouldn't be the most important thing, but it does matter.

3. Team Work

Pros: If you consider telling people to go from one control point to another, then I guess that's team work.

Cons: No squads, no squad spawning, you don't even end up in the same team at times. A bit frustrating, but as others have said, this should be patched if they think it's important enough to fix.

4. Battle Points[b]

I think this is a WIN. Though I think that some people seem to always have tanks and choppers available, but overall I think it's great. They got this on the nose.

5. [b]Maps

Besides the fact that the graphics are sub-par, the maps are actually good. I enjoy the layout and I enjoy the look.

I like the game so far, but I don't know if it's going to get very repetitive over time just running around aimlessly from one point to another. The reason why that worked on BC2 is because of the squads and party chats. So far, since their servers were having problems, it was hard for me to experience this aspect of the game. Hopefully they can fix some minor issues and the game will be playable at all times of the day, not just school hours or after 3 am.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Retro
03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
You forgot

Borderlands: WIN
Killzone 2 and 3: EPIC WINS
Modern Combat Domination: for $8, WIN
W@W: WIN

I too am getting burned out on FPS games. However, I am not burned out on Team MP, which is why I keep playing FPS games.
I didn't really think of Borderlands as an FPS, but I guess it is.

KZ2 was really good and I haven't played KZ3 yet. I wasn't including console exclusives. If I was then all things Halo would = FAIL.

Modern Combat Domination, wish I had my $8 back.

W@W: Meh. Same as HF really though it had a better campaign. I was just done with WWII games at that point.

dustin
03-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I will keep playing, but I'm pretty sure I will be going back to BC2...unless everyone migrates over to HF in which case I will follow.

I'm with you daylite, I haven't bought a copy for the "penny pinching" reason had to buy a lawnmower, so I will apparently be one of the few MP's to stick with bc2 and wait on bf3. I will be watching for some really badass reviews to see whats happening I might end up getting it but I doubt it

dinsdale1978
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I guess I should put my thoughts into a more concise form, so I will rate the EpicBattleAxe u-reviews are formulated.

The Good

The short answer here is the multiplayer. Frankly, the multiplayer doesn't need to be tied to this IP to be successful. It's an interesting twist on all the current competitive FPS games. The use of battlepoints can really make or break a game for your team. It's a much more useful system than COD or even MOH as you can save up the points and not worry about sacrificing yourself when taking an objective or pushing the line. The hit detection is very nice. It's rewarding to not have to have a degree in ballistics in order to adjust for bullet drop and lethal damage over distance. I feel like the party system will be good (since there are trophies for trying to form a full party) but so far it hasn't worked as promised.

The Bad

The controls aren't really on par with other modern shooters. It's a far cry from COD and even BFBC2 and MOH had more fluid controls and layouts. The speed of the characters feels a bit slow and the rate of acquiring target can be inconsistent. Trying to gun down several enemies can be frustrating if the gods of random numbers aren't on your side when the code decides whether you got a headshot or not. The story itself isn't completely terrible but isn't long enough or skillfully done in a way that really warrants all the hype and marketing we have seen.

The Ugly

The single player plays a bit too much like Duty Calls for me and relies too heavily on cinematic set pieces and monster in a closet areas. In some scenes if you aren't standing in the right place your NPC allies will block your escape from fire or just push you out of the way in a very clumsy way. The variety of gameplay in multiplayer feels short, but that may be from playing too much Black Ops. The maps aren't very distinctive either. It seems like they had a checklist of things they needed to include in each map and just rolled the dice to see which pieces they could copy and paste into another map.

It's something different but not something memorable to me. I felt more emotion playing through MOH and found more multiplayer fun in BO and BFBC2. If my choices were buy, rent, or pass; I would say rent if you are curious and pass if you were not addicted to FPS and modern combat shooters.

5 out of 10

dustin
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Damn dinsdale that was a good review i like that layout

dustin
03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
:)) =)) =)) NICE!!

Psalm
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I was looking at the armory further after I unlocked the "eject" perk for vehicles...this shoots you from your tank if it explodes...without dying,,,interesting.
I think they put a lot of effort into the perk system...it is unlike any other FPS system I have seen. Sure some are rehashed like "grave robber". But, quite a few are unique. I am at level 23 now and I am usually close to the top of the leader board most matches. Once you unlock the ability to use perks in the big vehicles it is go time..
I had a gunner with me in a GC game in a Abrahms and I whored a ton of kills...I had 3200 BP when I finally got killed. It gets better as you progress....
btw...the Super V (vector) SMG is the MP-40, P-90, UMP-45 of this game....it pwns...especially when hip fired with the "hip fire" perk.
Its a fairly flawed game...but, since I paid 60 bones...i figure I had better make the best of it...lol

Jackie R
03-17-2011, 07:23 AM
I was looking at the armory further after I unlocked the "eject" perk for vehicles...this shoots you from your tank if it explodes...without dying,,,interesting.
I think they put a lot of effort into the perk system...it is unlike any other FPS system I have seen. Sure some are rehashed like "grave robber". But, quite a few are unique. I am at level 23 now and I am usually close to the top of the leader board most matches. Once you unlock the ability to use perks in the big vehicles it is go time..
I had a gunner with me in a GC game in a Abrahms and I whored a ton of kills...I had 3200 BP when I finally got killed. It gets better as you progress....
btw...the Super V (vector) SMG is the MP-40, P-90, UMP-45 of this game....it pwns...especially when hip fired with the "hip fire" perk.
Its a fairly flawed game...but, since I paid 60 bones...i figure I had better make the best of it...lol
Ed, do you feel that the game is well balanced? I ask because my ranking will be done very slowly and I would hate to think that my chances for a fair fight will be compromised just because I haven't hit the higher levels yet.
As bad as the connection problems were in Black Ops, I must give Treyarch props for the fact that no matter what level of player I came across, I never felt at a disadvantage because of weapon or perk loadout.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Ed, do you feel that the game is well balanced? I ask because my ranking will be done very slowly and I would hate to think that my chances for a fair fight will be compromised just because I haven't hit the higher levels yet.
As bad as the connection problems were in Black Ops, I must give Treyarch props for the fact that no matter what level of player I came across, I never felt at a disadvantage because of weapon or perk loadout.
Its hard to say...I played at midnight and leveled up quick. I am usually the top 2 or 3 highest ranked player...so, I would have a hard time saying for sure. But, I think the default guns..(M4 and the SMG) are pretty good (also the default classes are pretty good) ...If I was new I would avoid getting near people in tanks as you will likely get pwned.

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I am feeling the same way. I cannot say it is great, but it is good, and it is fun. I am going to try to get my monies worth out of it. Since I am not taking it that seriously, it is a more casual experience than say KZ3 or BC2.

Spike Forehand
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
OK heres my quick review of multiplayer after about 2.5 hours of Ground Control play last night. I will post a short follow-up on single player once I work through that part perhaps over the weekend.

I first joined up in a lobby with mechatool, but was booted immediately after the match started. Not sure if thats because they were going to play with Battle Commander (which requires level 7) or not. I tried later with jacknightamer and also tried to join with Dinsdale and others a couple of times no luck.

So whatever I had heard that the party system was not working so I just jumped into a match solo.

My immediate reaction was one of crushing disappointment.

It felt like my soldier was running with cement shoes or perhaps had too much to drink and was afraid to turn too quickly and risk falling down. I got completely pwned and went 0-14. It was also ridiculously laggy for me (this did improve in later matches). Nice first impression.

I doggedly stuck with it, and finally had a few matches more in line with my typical 0.5 KDR ratio. Even got a few bonus points at one point for making a few kills in a row woo-hoo.

Also managed to try the Ground Assault Drone and the Hellfire Missile. The former seemed very under-powered to me. Seems like a vehicle like this should be one-shot kill, but it isnt. Easily taken out by melee or small arms fire. I got zero kills and one kill assist in like 5 tries. Yeah I know that I suck but come on. The Hellfire was nice. You get two of them for your 1300 battle points, had a very well designed targeting view, and is pretty simple to operate. Did not find a tank to try it on though.

The game definitely grew on me some as I played, and the battle points system is really cool I die so much that its nice to be able to save points up across deaths as opposed to the very annoying kill streak system of COD games - where its almost impossible for a player with limited skills like me to get anything cool. As a matter of fact, if BO had this system I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did.

Mostly ran with the SMG, and unlocked like the third one on the list (cant remember the name of it), and this was a vast improvement on the first one.

One weird thing about weapons where the fuck are my frag grenades?!?!?! You can only choose EMP or Flash-bangs. I did seem to get some kills with them, so maybe they serve double-duty? Guess I need to read up on them.

The game will also have a lot more depth than BFBC2 as far as the unlocks there are a huge number of these rivaling and perhaps surpassing BO in that regard (although I dont have a full count on them). I did not have a huge problem with the menus and pre-game settings through the armory. Seemed a lot like BO to me. Not sure why the complaints on this.

I also like how the ground control matches escalate in chaos and intensity. They start with everyone on foot, but by the end you got multiple vehicles in the air and on the ground.

The maps I think are very good. I did not have the spawning issues that others had. I like how there is plenty of width on the maps to provide good tactical/flanking opportunities. Most control points had multiple entries, and I got a lot of kills by taking unusual routes into control points. Wookies were a bit problematic, and may grow to be a major annoyance, but at least you kind of know where they are and can hunt them down. Too bad you cant get their tags :(.

As far as graphics and sound go I can give a one word review: Blech. In my opinion, they are vastly inferior to BFBC2, MOH, and BO. Not to the point of being unplayable but certainly cartoonish and weak. The graphics of your vehicle moving across the ground are lol-bad. The analogy to a good PS2 game is spot on.

Forget squadding up unless they somehow fix it. I tried to join with others at least 4 times and every time ended up just playing a regular match. Without being able to have squads or spawn on squad-mates there is barely any point any way.

Overall, this game will be like RDR, BO and MOH for me an interesting distraction for a few weeks before I end up back in BFBC2. There is a chance that it will grow on me to become an obsession, but I am saying at this point that odds are against that as I think it is just plain inferior to BFBC2 in a ton of different ways.

I give THQ/KAOS some credit for advancing the FPS genre with the battle points and (assumedly havent played it yet) the Battle Commander mode. Hoping that future FPSs incorporate similar ideas.

However, perhaps THQ/KAOS should have spent some of that huge marketing budget on the graphics department.

If theres a silver lining it will be that this game will be a good lesson for future studios to heed.

TL/DR Summary:

Good: Depth of unlocks, battle points system (major win), variety of vehicles/weapons, Maps.

Bad: Graphics and Sound inferior to other FPSs. Overall feel of running/turning/shooting is not as fluid as all other current FPSs (major fault IMO)

Recommendation: For FPS fans only, rent before you buy.

mechatool
03-17-2011, 10:32 AM

You are quite right. I finally unlocked the Apache....it pwns. I have yet to get shot down. I use that perk that gives you more xp.
I like perk system as well, it brings a fresh approach to the FPS.

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM

You are quite right. I finally unlocked the Apache....it pwns. I have yet to get shot down. I use that perk that gives you more xp.
For me, the BP system, perks, and BC set this game apart. If this game had great graphics, and a longer campaign, I would give it a 9/10. As it is, I give it a 7/10. A 5/10 for the SP, and a 9/10 for the MP.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 10:38 AM

I have been using the "more XP" perk as well... Any idea as to how much more it gives...it seems like I get anywhere from 3500 to 4k XP each GC match?

mechatool
03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I am feeling the same way. I cannot say it is great, but it is good, and it is fun. I am going to try to get my monies worth out of it. Since I am not taking it that seriously, it is a more casual experience than say KZ3 or BC2.
It is not the greatest FPS out there, but it is a very enjoyable experience....and I should be a great experience once the MP is fixed.

mechatool
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM

I have been using the "more XP" perk as well... Any idea as to how much more it gives...it seems like I get anywhere from 3500 to 4k XP each GC match?
I am not sure. I unlocked it last night. Played a couple of matches of GC and was able to buy the apache with BP towards the end of the match. I was around 5-7 on the score boards.

Jackie R
03-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Its hard to say...I played at midnight and leveled up quick. I am usually the top 2 or 3 highest ranked player...so, I would have a hard time saying for sure. But, I think the default guns..(M4 and the SMG) are pretty good (also the default classes are pretty good) ...If I was new I would avoid getting near people in tanks as you will likely get pwned.
Makes sense. My fear was to end up facing someone with an ubber super gun or something similar. Thanks for the feedback. :cheers:

CELockwood
03-17-2011, 09:19 PM
One weird thing about weapons where the fuck are my frag grenades?!?!?! You can only choose EMP or Flash-bangs. I did seem to get some kills with them, so maybe they serve double-duty? Guess I need to read up on them.

This bugged the crap out of me for a while until I figured out that they are always equipped (right bumper on xbox). The flash bangs etc., are on the other (left) bumper.

This game is growing on me. I still don't think it will have the staying power of battlefield, but I am having some fun with it.

ustolemygmrtag
03-17-2011, 09:47 PM
RTFM!!! That is what it is there for!!!! ;) :D

roadrnr
03-18-2011, 09:23 AM
So I played again online last night.

The game kinda grows on me. That is until I spawn in game and every other DAMN person on our team was a fucking sniper. At least half of the other team too! WTF. The only reason my team won one game was because I fucking capped all of the objectives. I ended up in first place, but after that pwnd.

I hate the choppers when you have 2 or 3 in the game at one time...all on the other team.

The hit detection may be decent in this game, but accuracy is shit. That or the damage on the weapons needs to be increased. At 50 meters, it shouldn't take 1 1/2 magazines to take someone out. That with having hit markers almost the entire time.

This game is really wearing me thin, but I'm still plugging away at it. I think my problem is that this game isn't that much different from BC2 or COD. In reality, it's really COD with bigger maps.

Borlaxx
03-18-2011, 09:36 AM
The hit detection may be decent in this game, but accuracy is shit. That or the damage on the weapons needs to be increased. At 50 meters, it shouldn't take 1 1/2 magazines to take someone out. That with having hit markers almost the entire time.
The could have been using the flack jacket. Makes a big difference in the amount of damage you can take.

LandShark
03-18-2011, 09:46 AM
This game needs a hardcore mode. Imagine bullets do twice as much damage, personal UAV shows red diamond thingies where enemy is for ya, the spy drone shows same red diamond thingies for entire team...

Psalm
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
The could have been using the flack jacket. Makes a big difference in the amount of damage you can take.
flak jacket can mean winning a head to head fire fight, if you are using something that is not as fast as a fire rate as one of the SMG's.
I have been using the Scar rifle (3-round burst) and I had to start using the flak jacket...I was losing every head to head battle.
I unlocked the Acog (100 kills) with it and it is beastly.
I am looking forward to the M16....it is full auto and does beastly damage.

ustolemygmrtag
03-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Picked up an M-16 a little while ago in a game from a dead player, and man that think is great. Good accuracy, and really long distance shooting with the ACOG. What a beast.

NutsFathead
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
i think its a great game love it so far had no server trouble so far, yes it not like cod or bc2 but i think THQ and KAOS have created a good FPS

TrojanTeacher
03-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Man, i can't stand that SCAR L. It's so slow. 3 round burst is fine, but to have to wait about 1/2 a second for it to shoot again is stupid!

Spike Forehand
03-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Man, i can't stand that SCAR L. It's so slow. 3 round burst is fine, but to have to wait about 1/2 a second for it to shoot again is stupid!

I'm with you on that. I switched over to the SMG's, and have been running the diablo with the suppressor. Not great at distances, but I find it's really hard to see anyone at distance in this game anyway.

Also been picking up every weapon I find lying around and trying it. Got the sniper rifle with the thermal scope at one point. That's pretty sweet also.

Psalm
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Interesting HF side by side comparison PS3 vs Xbox360...usually the Xbox wins on shooters....but, the PS3 looks better on this one.
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/verdictscreen-shot-comparison/head2head-homefront-screenshot-comparison/

Borlaxx
03-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Interesting HF side by side comparison PS3 vs Xbox360...usually the Xbox wins on shooters....but, the PS3 looks better on this one.
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head/verdictscreen-shot-comparison/head2head-homefront-screenshot-comparison/
I think the facial details on the koreans looks better on the 360, but otherwise the PS3 looks way better, which isn't saying too much with this game.

TrojanTeacher
03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah, what's with leaving out whole textures on towels and stuff like that. Just makes me mad that it looks like they didn't finish the game.

CELockwood
03-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Agreed. I hate that gun. I've been running mostly with the ACR.

TrojanTeacher
03-18-2011, 04:09 PM
ACR rocks! I love it. Usually win in a firefight unless I'm getting shot from two sides.

devilsadvoc8
03-21-2011, 07:31 AM
hmmm. Very mixed reviews on this game. I think I will wait a bit and perhaps even skip it altogether. I lived through this crap on BlOps, I don't want to go through it again. I'll keep checking in to see if it gets better.

xMisFitToyx
03-21-2011, 08:16 AM
hmmm. Very mixed reviews on this game. I think I will wait a bit and perhaps even skip it altogether. I lived through this crap on BlOps, I don't want to go through it again. I'll keep checking in to see if it gets better.

I am going to wait for about 1 month to see if reviews get any better......

Borlaxx
03-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I absolutely love this game now. SOOOOO addicted to it. However, to anyone who doesn't have it yet, I would wait to see if they fix the party system, empty servers, and freezing issues. If they do, I highly recommend getting it. The graphics are poor in comparison to other FPS games, but the fun factor is through the roof!

However, if you are getting it just for the SP, I would wait until it drops in price a lot. The SP is interesting, and has some really awesome moments, but at under 5 hours, it isn't worth $60. The MP, on the other hand, is worth the $60 IMO.

TrojanTeacher
03-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree.

FUN FACTOR: 10/10
Actual Game: 5/10

ustolemygmrtag
03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Hopefully that 5/10 will change to at least a 8/10 by the end of the week. :-w Lets just keep our fingers crossed, and our aim on KOAS to get this damn game fixed. I love this game when it works. :x Also, Anyone up for a private match tonight. :-? Would love some MP action on the HomeFront. Last night with underdog, Toxic, JK, Freak, Red Dog, Landshark, and some others I cannot remember. :applause: We played about 3 matched and they were all great. It was a blast having to go up against other MP's. I wish I had a HD recorder, so I could have caught those on video. :-?

Borlax, why don't you PS3er's try that, it is a great way to get to know the maps, and play the game at the same time.

Borlaxx
03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Borlax, why don't you PS3er's try that, it is a great way to get to know the maps, and play the game at the same time.
Alas, the last couple times I have played HF it seems most people already went back to BC2 ( :sigh: ) or BO ( :-q ).

Also, I haven't been able to use my headset since the baby was born, so I haven't been able to communicate with anyone. Since I have only been gaming when the wife and baby are asleep and coming back into the room if the baby wakes up to avoid wife aggro, I suggested to the wife that I set up the baby monitor in our room next to where the baby sleeps so I could use my headset while having the receiver which lights up if the baby starts making noise. She looked at me like I was insane and proceeded to give me a guilt trip about not helping with the baby (which is total bullshit). I may do it anyway. She started to give me grief last night, to which I responded, "you are going to sleep anyway, I don't go out there until you and the baby are asleep, and I come back as soon as the baby wakes up so you don't have to wake up to take care of him anyway, so what do you care what I do after you go to sleep as long as I am getting to work on time and taking care of the baby at night?" Daddy is finding his balls again.

xMisFitToyx
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Alas, the last couple times I have played HF it seems most people already went back to BC2 ( :sigh: ) or BO ( :-q ).

Also, I haven't been able to use my headset since the baby was born, so I haven't been able to communicate with anyone. Since I have only been gaming when the wife and baby are asleep and coming back into the room if the baby wakes up to avoid wife aggro, I suggested to the wife that I set up the baby monitor in our room next to where the baby sleeps so I could use my headset while having the receiver which lights up if the baby starts making noise. She looked at me like I was insane and proceeded to give me a guilt trip about not helping with the baby (which is total bullshit). I may do it anyway. She started to give me grief last night, to which I responded, "you are going to sleep anyway, I don't go out there until you and the baby are asleep, and I come back as soon as the baby wakes up so you don't have to wake up to take care of him anyway, so what do you care what I do after you go to sleep as long as I am getting to work on time and taking care of the baby at night?" Daddy is finding his balls again.

You Da Man............. :cheers:

Borlaxx
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Check back in a week. I will likely be "da man" sleeping on the couch.

REMEC87
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I am contemplating selling this P.O.S. game if they can't get the multi to work properly. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I have gone back to BC2 and I am probably going to stay there until Battlefiled comes out....no brink...no MW anything...just Battlefield. I hate these games that come out and the most basic of functions, like playing with your friends online, seems to be overlooked. IMO Sony & Microsoft have to step up to the plate and ban some of these idiots from their consoles. When a game doesn't work doesn't it reflect badly on the systems we are playing them on? I would like to think so!

xMisFitToyx
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM

You got to it before i did B!! :))

The Couch where you have your game setup ?

I don't really see a problem with that....... :))

Spike Forehand
03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I am contemplating selling this P.O.S. game if they can't get the multi to work properly. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I have gone back to BC2 and I am probably going to stay there until Battlefiled comes out....no brink...no MW anything...just Battlefield. I hate these games that come out and the most basic of functions, like playing with your friends online, seems to be overlooked. IMO Sony & Microsoft have to step up to the plate and ban some of these idiots from their consoles. When a game doesn't work doesn't it reflect badly on the systems we are playing them on? I would like to think so!

I feel you Remec. I am going to give them another week or so, finish the SP campaign, and then write it off if it doesn't improve.

What is killing me about this game is not just the lack of being able to party up, it's what I expect is poor performance of the servers.

About 3 out of every 4 matches, I cannot kill anyone in a firefight - I lose on the draw virtually every time. It doesn't seem to matter at all if I am wearing flak jacket or not or what weapon I am using. In those matches where I inevitably go like 2-15 or something, when I look at the scoreboard mid-match it will show my connection as "yellow" or "red". Usually, this will be the case for all but about 3 or 4 players who are solid green. I haven't yet been able to correlate play score vs. connection quality for other players, but will try to do that as I play more.

Occasionally, I seem to get a good connection and have a more typical match for me - somewhere beween like 5-8 or 9-9 or even the occasional/lucky 9-7.

In those matches where I spawn-run-die over and over I never build up many points, and then near the end it will get worse when some fucker sends an apache up and spawn rapes the whole team. With only relatively weak rpg's and proximity rockets - which a decent pilot can readily avoid - you are basically helpless at that point. I have never ever come as close to throwing my controller at the screen as I did yesterday - even when playing the most lopsided BFBC2 games I can remember.

It's that super-fucking frustrating but at the same time it teases you with it's promise of being a really cool game. This game could be really, really good if they would fix the party system, add the ability to join with or spawn on squadmates, and have more consistent server performance.

If they can't do those, then they can kiss my ass.

DayliteMag
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM

I feel you Remec. I am going to give them another week or so, finish the SP campaign, and then write it off if it doesn't improve.

What is killing me about this game is not just the lack of being able to party up, it's what I expect is poor performance of the servers.

About 3 out of every 4 matches, I cannot kill anyone in a firefight - I lose on the draw virtually every time. It doesn't seem to matter at all if I am wearing flak jacket or not or what weapon I am using. In those matches where I inevitably go like 2-15 or something, when I look at the scoreboard mid-match it will show my connection as "yellow" or "red". Usually, this will be the case for all but about 3 or 4 players who are solid green. I haven't yet been able to correlate play score vs. connection quality for other players, but will try to do that as I play more.

Occasionally, I seem to get a good connection and have a more typical match for me - somewhere beween like 5-8 or 9-9 or even the occasional/lucky 9-7.

In those matches where I spawn-run-die over and over I never build up many points, and then near the end it will get worse when some **** sends an apache up and spawn rapes the whole team. With only relatively weak rpg's and proximity rockets - which a decent pilot can readily avoid - you are basically helpless at that point. I have never ever come as close to throwing my controller at the screen as I did yesterday - even when playing the most lopsided BFBC2 games I can remember.

It's that super-**** frustrating but at the same time it teases you with it's promise of being a really cool game. This game could be really, really good if they would fix the party system, add the ability to join with or spawn on squadmates, and have more consistent server performance.

This pretty much sums up my experience to a "T." I don't know why I have such a hard time winning firefights. I know I suck, but I"m not THAT bad. I too wonder about the connection thing. I've never seen lag as bad as in HF. I am sure other games have had it just as bad, but I guess I never played one until now. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen it is just horrible.

dustin
03-21-2011, 07:26 PM

In those matches where I spawn-run-die over and over I never build up many points, and then near the end it will get worse when some **** sends an apache up and spawn rapes the whole team. With only relatively weak rpg's and proximity rockets - which a decent pilot can readily avoid - you are basically helpless at that point. I have never ever come as close to throwing my controller at the screen as I did yesterday - even when playing the most lopsided BFBC2 games I can remember.

It's that super-**** frustrating but at the same time it teases you with it's promise of being a really cool game. This game could be really, really good if they would fix the party system, add the ability to join with or spawn on squadmates, and have more consistent server performance.

This pretty much sums up my experience to a "T." I don't know why I have such a hard time winning firefights. I know I suck, but I"m not THAT bad. I too wonder about the connection thing. I've never seen lag as bad as in HF. I am sure other games have had it just as bad, but I guess I never played one until now. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen it is just horrible.
this is exactly what i was worried about with this game, the whole battlepoint thing sounded kinda one-sided to me to begin with. I am SOOOOglad i waited on this one thank you guys i was close to pre-ordering this thing

ustolemygmrtag
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Dustin, most of the issues listed are due to the servers, and lack of a patch. After they get these things fixed, the game will be BEASt!(As Teach puts it). When we all get into a match and have a good connection we all have a blast. This game is very addictive. I have a strong feeling this game will be allot bigger and better once the server issue and party issue is fixed. WE can only hope though.

I personally am very pleased with the game, even with its short comings. But only time will tell.

CELockwood
03-22-2011, 05:52 AM

this is exactly what i was worried about with this game, the whole battlepoint thing sounded kinda one-sided to me to begin with. I am SOOOOglad i waited on this one thank you guys i was close to pre-ordering this thing

I agree with pretty much everything said above, and I think I'm done. While it has some appeal, I had more fun playing the 2 or 3 games of bc2 last night than I've had in HF so far, especially with all the server issues, so I'm moving on. Until I rode around in tank with Daylite last night, I'd forgotten how much much I enjoyed real vehicle combat. Posted HF on Ebay this morning.

I'll be playing BC2 tonight. :x

I would like to try Brink, but this may have soured me and I might just wait for Battlefield 3 too. Maybe it's a rental.

Borlaxx
03-22-2011, 07:04 AM
I haven't given up on HF yet, but after the problems at launch for both this game and BO, I will never buy a 3rd party FPS again on day one, including Brink and BF3.

Tracer-M_D_C
03-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Is the PS3 accessible from the couch? :-?
edit - dang, dog was already clever first. that's what I get for catching up back to front L-)

xMisFitToyx
03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Is the PS3 accessible from the couch? :-?
edit - dang, dog was already clever first. that's what I get for catching up back to front L-)

It was still your independent thought...........brilliant minds think alike.... :))

roadrnr
03-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree with pretty much everything said above, and I think I'm done. While it has some appeal, I had more fun playing the 2 or 3 games of bc2 last night than I've had in HF so far, especially with all the server issues, so I'm moving on. Until I rode around in tank with Daylite last night, I'd forgotten how much much I enjoyed real vehicle combat. Posted HF on Ebay this morning.

I would like to try Brink, but this may have soured me and I might just wait for Battlefield 3 too. Maybe it's a rental.

I'm with you.

I tried to like this game. I tried really hard. It just pisses me off. The single player is a huge joke. Getting shot while behind cover and the precise perfect aiming of enemy AI is amateurish at best. The concept of this game was great, I couldn't however get into the story with some of the cheap bs in sp. With all of the hype this game had, I really wanted it to be stellar. It was far from that.

The MP could be fun but I never had too much fun with it. It is too much of a COD style game for me.

I listed this game on craigslist today, I think I'll put my money towards Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

Borlaxx
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm with you.

I tried to like this game. I tried really hard. It just pisses me off. The single player is a huge joke. Getting shot while behind cover and the precise perfect aiming of enemy AI is amateurish at best. The concept of this game was great, I couldn't however get into the story with some of the cheap bs in sp. With all of the hype this game had, I really wanted it to be stellar. It was far from that.

The MP could be fun but I never had too much fun with it. It is too much of a COD style game for me.

I listed this game on craigslist today, I think I'll put my money towards Operation Flashpoint: Red River.
At this rate, HF is going to be dead by end of the month.

The MP is great.......when it works, which isn't very often.

The SP is the biggest over-hyped, under-developed, and most-squandered concept in SP in FPS history.