PDA

View Full Version : Homefront Servers.

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Homefront’s dedicated servers are currently at capacity, and this is causing some matchmaking issues for players attempting to join an online match.

The demand for the servers has outstripped our expectations – so although we’re thrilled that Homefront is proving to be so popular, we’re doing all we can to bring more servers online to cope with this demand ASAP.

Please bear with us – as more servers come online, you should find you’re able to join matches easily and play Homefront the way it’s meant to be played – with 32 players on dedicated servers.

This is good news and bad news. I think to former. It means the game is selling like Hot Cakes.

ProfUnderDog
03-15-2011, 06:33 PM
I do have to say though that this is really annoying. I picked up the game on the way home from work and couldn't get into any multiplayer match. SP is OK so far.

ustolemygmrtag
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
I do have to say though that this is really annoying. I picked up the game on the way home from work and couldn't get into any multiplayer match. SP is OK so far.I will get on now and invite you, and see if we can get into a match.

sam007
03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
stupid question. but what kinda servers do these games use?

Psalm
03-17-2011, 12:06 AM
stupid question. but what kinda servers do these games use?
i am not sure if any one can answer that for sure....do you mean what brand or what Operating system?

sam007
03-17-2011, 12:20 AM
what these servers may look like.

I would assume its some sort of rack mounted system in an air conditioned room.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
what these servers may look like.

I would assume its some sort of rack mounted system in an air conditioned room.
Yeah..i am sure...or they rent them from different places around the world?

ustolemygmrtag
03-17-2011, 07:06 AM
They are places all over the world. They had a map up with over 100 server locations.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 07:54 AM
They are places all over the world. They had a map up with over 100 server locations.
That would mean they are renting these servers (costly)...
Something to think about... They will have to do pretty well on DLC for this game to have life. Whereas other games have a main server (for ranking and leaderboards and such) this has dedicated servers for gameplay...that is way more expensive. If the DLC flops they are going to be hard pressed to keep them up and running unless they made a total killing on the initial game sales.

roadrnr
03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I couldn't join a mp match at all last night. Lots of errors of failed to load playlist, servers are down...etc. I tried for about 30 mins to join a mp game, played a level of sp then just moved over to MOH for some fun. I'm seriously getting frustrated with this....

ustolemygmrtag
03-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Give it some time. They have doubled the capacity of the severs, and are now working on the other connection issues. Also, goto Homefront forums in the Xbox 360 sections. Find the sticky that is like your problem, and post your info and problem description there. They are begging for info, so they can find the problem and stomp it into oblivion.

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Maybe they are worse on the 360 side (that would be a first) because the servers seem okay on the PS3 side. Other than the freezing issues, which they already know about, I haven't had any connection issues getting online.

The servers are still better than KZ3 was at first, and since they upgraded and patched those, KZ3 is just about flawless. Although I really wish companies would have their shit together on day one, I realize they often need some time to work out the server issues, and the game has only be out a couple days.

TheFreak75
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I think they are getting better, because yesterday a couple of us were able to play together, the only problem I still see happening and it's not very often that happens is that after a couple of rounds it drops your connection sending you back to the menu,also it's still hard to start a party and get in a game. One thing we were doing yesterday was one of us was getting in a game and after that everybody else was joining on him, suprisingly it was working.

ProfUnderDog
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey GT, any sense as to when a patch for this might be coming? I like the game enough that if they fix the MP party and joining issues, I'll keep playing it. But if this is going to take a while, it may be time for a trade in.

ustolemygmrtag
03-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey GT, any sense as to when a patch for this might be coming? I like the game enough that if they fix the MP party and joining issues, I'll keep playing it. But if this is going to take a while, it may be time for a trade in.
They say they are almost ready with it, just have to add a couple of more things. I will see if I can find an ETA on the patch though.

They are working desperately on the party issue. They have been updating us on what info they need, and where to look. See this thread (http://www.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/5829)and this one (http://www.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/5750) too.

Post any info into those threads that can be helpful in speeding up the patch process.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
From Kaos Chef

What are we doing to address this problem? We are configuring more servers right now for all formats, across the globe, in order to meet demand. We have already doubled our capacity in the past 24 hours, and we are continuing to bring even more servers online over the next few days.

We expect that most players will be able to join a dedicated server today, but if you still experience connection issues, there is another option.

Our ‘Skirmish’ playlists are capped at a lower player count (16 max) which means they do not require a dedicated server. Our peer-to-peer networking code runs great, and the performance will be similar to what you’d expect from any FPS with a solid peer-to-peer infrastructure, like the Halo series. You will certainly be able to get a queue-free taste of the full Homefront experience, until our dedicated server capacity is high enough to support demand.

So, why did we not foresee this problem you ask? Actually, we thought we had... Homefront’s huge pre-order tally had given a good idea of how many copies would be sold in the first 24 hours, first week, and first month. We then estimated our required server capacity as a percentage of total sales, based on information we have from both THQ and competitor titles. We increased our estimate further to be ‘safe’ – specifically to avoid issues like this!

So what’s happened? It turns out our estimate was still too low. Homefront has sold faster than we expected (which we are thrilled about) and more users are spending more time trying to access multiplayer (which we are also thrilled about). The thing we are not thrilled about is the fact that some gamers are currently having to wait for a match, for which we can only apologise.

Rest assured, we are doing everything in our power to cope with the extraordinary demand for servers, and thank you for your continued patience and support.

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
From Kaos Chef

What are we doing to address this problem? We are configuring more servers right now for all formats, across the globe, in order to meet demand. We have already doubled our capacity in the past 24 hours, and we are continuing to bring even more servers online over the next few days.

We expect that most players will be able to join a dedicated server today, but if you still experience connection issues, there is another option.

Our ‘Skirmish’ playlists are capped at a lower player count (16 max) which means they do not require a dedicated server. Our peer-to-peer networking code runs great, and the performance will be similar to what you’d expect from any FPS with a solid peer-to-peer infrastructure, like the Halo series. You will certainly be able to get a queue-free taste of the full Homefront experience, until our dedicated server capacity is high enough to support demand.

So, why did we not foresee this problem you ask? Actually, we thought we had... Homefront’s huge pre-order tally had given a good idea of how many copies would be sold in the first 24 hours, first week, and first month. We then estimated our required server capacity as a percentage of total sales, based on information we have from both THQ and competitor titles. We increased our estimate further to be ‘safe’ – specifically to avoid issues like this!

So what’s happened? It turns out our estimate was still too low. Homefront has sold faster than we expected (which we are thrilled about) and more users are spending more time trying to access multiplayer (which we are also thrilled about). The thing we are not thrilled about is the fact that some gamers are currently having to wait for a match, for which we can only apologise.

Rest assured, we are doing everything in our power to cope with the extraordinary demand for servers, and thank you for your continued patience and support.
Looks like I will be avoiding Skirmish mode. Although the game has some issues, hit detection and lag haven't been problems for me, and I attribute this to the dedicated servers.