PDA

View Full Version : Homefront Single Player

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
I haven't been playing it long, but so far, I am underwhelmed. The game has a great concept, and the setting and atmosphere is fantastic, but so far the narrative, dialogue, and action is *meh* Maybe it is the poor graphics, bad dialogue, or perhaps I am just cold hearted, because with the exception of the scene with the child during the bus ride, I really don't care about the people in the game as much as I thought I would. I thought I would be emotionally invested, but instead, they are just other unimportant FPS NPCs, not my fellow Americans. Maybe that will change the more I get into it. I just expected more emotional involvement with the characters. I got to the part with the rebel base, which some reviews said was very moving, but I really didn't care.

Retro
03-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe that will change the more I get into it.
Nope, it won't. And if your at the "oasis".....[spoiler:36lukjei].....your half way finished the game![/spoiler:36lukjei]

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Nope, it won't. And if your at the "oasis".....[spoiler:28saithc].....your half way finished the game![/spoiler:28saithc]
Seriously? There is no way! Wow, that was fast.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh Noes....
I got thru the first 2 missions last night...not overly impressed,,,but, still fun.

Retro
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Nope, it won't. And if your at the "oasis".....[spoiler:2x6g8hv1].....your half way finished the game![/spoiler:2x6g8hv1]
Well maybe almost. But seriously, 4.5 hours and done. I literally got to the end and was WTF?? Just as things were starting to get interesting it ends. Put it this way, I felt the same way about MoH but after completing both, I prefer MoH.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Put it this way, I felt the same way about MoH but after completing both, I prefer MoH.
Thats cuz your Tier 1 baby!!! :D

Toxic Avenger72
03-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Nope, it won't. And if your at the "oasis".....[spoiler:1lb22oot].....your half way finished the game![/spoiler:1lb22oot]

Way too short. The only reason it is a five hour SP (and this is being generous) is because of the dialogue and moving from point A to point B.

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Way too short. The only reason it is a five hour SP (and this is being generous) is because of the dialogue and moving from point A to point B.
I just don't understand why they would hire a professional, well-known writer to come up with a detailed back story and epic concept, come out with a book, hype the hell out of the story, and then give people a prologue.

Retro
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Put it this way, I felt the same way about MoH but after completing both, I prefer MoH.
I felt like MoH drew me in more than HF. HF was, run through and area listening to the NPC's whine, bitch, moan and argue with each other. Wait for one of them to kick down the door, push aside a fridge to run in and face the next horde of bad guys, rinse and repeat.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I felt like MoH drew me in more than HF. HF was, run through and area listening to the NPC's whine, bitch, moan and argue with each other. Wait for one of them to kick down the door, push aside a fridge to run in and face the next horde of bad guys, rinse and repeat.
Yeah...I am already noticing that...It feels somewhat glitchy when you first use "goliath" as well.

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah...I am already noticing that...It feels somewhat glitchy when you first use "goliath" as well.
Goliath was waaaaaaay overhyped. So boring. Reading about it, it sounded epic. In practice, it is a rocket launcher with wheels, that pushes you out from behind cover if you are in its pre-programed path. I would have much rather been able to actually drive it.

Psalm
03-17-2011, 10:58 AM
yeah...the big problem I have with this SP is going to be...I read the book...hell, with the hype and as you said Nate..."big" names who produced it, this should be the most epic SP ever created....its not feeling this way yet... ANd it sound slike it probably won't be..

BTW Nate...did you get the book yet?

Borlaxx
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
yeah...the big problem I have with this SP is going to be...I read the book...hell, with the hype and as you said Nate..."big" names who produced it, this should be the most epic SP ever created....its not feeling this way yet... ANd it sound slike it probably won't be..

Yes. I have read the first chapter so far. Not very engaging so far. Does it get better, or would I be wasting my time reading it?

Psalm
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Yes. I have read the first chapter so far. Not very engaging so far. Does it get better, or would I be wasting my time reading it?
Its worth reading since its so short...But, its no Tom Clancy novel for sure...

Retro
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
If your at the Oasis there is one mission coming up for you that has a couple of cool moments. It involves a parking lot and that is all I will say about it.

RC-1136
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I like the SP so far. I'm not sure why. I see what you are all saying, though. Guess i will have to finish it and see what happens.

TrojanTeacher
03-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Has anyone else noticed that there are CELL PHONE SCAN IMAGES in the game? I've seen two so far in the first two levels. If you get your SCANNING application on your phone and point it at the screen, it will take you to a website where you can watch video of that place you're at. Pretty cool.

Psalm
03-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Has anyone else noticed that there are CELL PHONE SCAN IMAGES in the game? I've seen two so far in the first two levels. If you get your SCANNING application on your phone and point it at the screen, it will take you to a website where you can watch video of that place you're at. Pretty cool.
I hadn't noticed that...pretty interesting.

Borlaxx
03-18-2011, 11:38 AM
I haven't noticed that. Been too busy "following Conner."

TrojanTeacher
03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
there was one in the first house you get to in OASIS where you find the newspaper to read. There is another where you see the guy at the Missing Persons wall.

jacknighttamer
03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Finish the game yesterday....I thought it was pretty good. I would agree that it is short, it took me about 6 hours to finish. I was home yesterday sick so I decided to play it. There were only about two parts in it that took me awhile, the main one was with the chopper, then another spot with Goliath....it kept getting in my way. I wish I hadn't looked at the ending on youtube. If you are playing it now, don't look at the ending.

Tembis
03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Not impressed with the SP at all!!! Graphics are ho hum at best. I think they are better in MP than SP. Played for about 30 minutes and already the guy gets stuck at some door. He is suppose to kick over a box so we can go through the door...and he just runs in one place for about 10 minutes!!! I shot the guy in the head and he finally decided to push the dam box over...not impressed at all...Very disappointed needless to say.

Borlaxx
03-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Not impressed with the SP at all!!! Graphics are ho hum at best. I think they are better in MP than SP. Played for about 30 minutes and already the guy gets stuck at some door. He is suppose to kick over a box so we can go through the door...and he just runs in one place for about 10 minutes!!! I shot the guy in the head and he finally decided to push the dam box over...not impressed at all...Very disappointed needless to say.
Yes, the SP so far is a let down, and I think I am near the ending. The premise is epic, the setting even with poor graphics is eerie and intense, and some of the moments are really awesome (parking lot scene in particular), but the narrative is barren and boring, the characters are one-dimensional, the action is too run-of-the-mill for the most part, and there are way too many glitches, invisible walls, and scripting problems which cause you to have to wait on your AI team mates to open a door or crawl under something.

RC-1136
03-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I am almost done with the SP and I hate to say it, but i like it. I'm not a big graphics guy so that doesn't bother me. The AI is messed up, but there are several nice Butt shots of Rihana. IDK. I might have blinders on because I like the story and the book. I had fun with the SP.

Borlaxx
03-23-2011, 07:14 AM
I am almost done with the SP and I hate to say it, but i like it. I'm not a big graphics guy so that doesn't bother me. The AI is messed up, but there are several nice Butt shots of Rihana. IDK. I might have blinders on because I like the story and the book. I had fun with the SP.
I am almost done, too, but having a hard time wanting to play it anymore. The setting and premise are awesome, but the actual game narrative is boring (get fuel, don't die), Conner is a tool, there are way too many glitches, and the action is boring as hell (follow Conner, kill Norks, follow Conner, kill Norks). The part in the parking lot with the white phosphorous was pretty cool. I also read the last mission is awesome, so may just finish it so I can at least play that part.

RC-1136
03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm about half way through it and so far it is the best. They have Juggernaut like Norks on the Golden Gate Bridge. There is also Military radio chatter in the background that is pretty cool, too.

NutsFathead
03-23-2011, 02:34 PM
i finished the game in about 2 hours and was disspointed that it was so short loved the storyline i think if theres going to be a HF2 i think i will wait this time and not rush out to buy it

Psalm
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
i finished the game in about 2 hours and was disspointed that it was so short loved the storyline i think if theres going to be a HF2 i think i will wait this time and not rush out to buy it
2 hours....WTF...do you have a speed hack?...wow
I finished it last night and thought it was good but, not great. I like the Modern Warfare stories better...The ending....*meh*
[spoiler:2cx8uktv]I was hoping for some new mechanic (I.e. swing or crane or something)on the Bridge when you got knocked off and had to find your way back topside.[/spoiler:2cx8uktv]

RC-1136
03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
I think the last mission was by far the best. This story had so much potential and I agree with Ed, that the MW stories were better. I was so pissed when there wasn't even a cinematic at the end wrapping everything up. Stupid and lazy if you ask me.

Spike Forehand
03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Been too busy "following Conner."

LOL - yeah.

NEXT MISSION: FOLLOW CONNER

I laughed at that from times 30-50 that I saw it, but after time #50 it wasn't funny any more.

Still, I thnk the SP is interesting so far. I have made it past the white phosphorus part, but not much further yet. At any rate, it's better than BO SP, which I thought was the same old "find the evil Russian Guy and kill him in slow mo" of both MW single player missions, but even more "on rails" and a harder to follow than either of those games.

The class of SP FPS's for PS3 imo was both Uncharted games with Red Dead Redemption a very close 3rd.

Borlaxx
03-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Been too busy "following Conner."

LOL - yeah.

NEXT MISSION: FOLLOW CONNER

I laughed at that from times 30-50 that I saw it, but after time #50 it wasn't funny any more.

Still, I thnk the SP is interesting so far. I have made it past the white phosphorus part, but not much further yet. At any rate, it's better than BO SP, which I thought was the same old "find the evil Russian Guy and kill him in slow mo" of both MW single player missions, but even more "on rails" and a harder to follow than either of those games.

The class of SP FPS's for PS3 imo was both Uncharted games with Red Dead Redemption a very close 3rd.
See, I actually liked the SP in BO a lot more. It was longer, the story was more interesting to me at least (HF has a great concept and setting, but the actual narrative was little more than "follow Conner, clear room of norks, see dead people, get fuel trucks.") At least I thought BO had a more involved story line, and BO had IMO a lot more variety to the gameplay than HF did. There were more vehicle moments, more on-rails moments, the awesome Nam tunnels section, and the epic escape from the Russian prison level.

theczech99
03-25-2011, 08:11 AM
When I first read this I thought you might be yanking our chain about the 2hr run through. That was before I received my game. I got it yesterday, played for about 1 hour and made it most of the way through the SP. Unless the last two chapters are really long it may take me less than 2 hours to complete.

dinsdale1978
03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
When I first read this I thought you might be yanking our chain about the 2hr run through. That was before I received my game. I got it yesterday, played for about 1 hour and made it most of the way through the SP. Unless the last two chapters are really long it may take me less than 2 hours to complete.

With a good sit down it can be done in 2. The horrible AI make it too easy to rush through parts and slaughter everything.

Psalm
03-25-2011, 09:37 AM
2 hours...really. on Normal or Easy?

Raider
03-25-2011, 09:38 AM

With a good sit down it can be done in 2. The horrible AI make it too easy to rush through parts and slaughter everything.

You guys must be playing on easy. I'm stuck in Chapter 4 somewhere and a couple of hours in.

dinsdale1978
03-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Played through on normal first time through. I want to get the trophies for the harder levels but I just can't torture myself again with Mass Effect 2 coming in this weekend.

theczech99
04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Played through on normal first time through. I want to get the trophies for the harder levels but I just can't torture myself again with Mass Effect 2 coming in this weekend.
I've got all but one SP trophy. I still need three more newspapers to get my final SP trophy. It really sucks that the game doesnít tell you how many collectibles you have in each chapter. I really donít want to replay every level again because the acting in this game is extra cheesy.

ustolemygmrtag
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Some of them are hidden outside of the level. Do a search on YouTube, and you will see where they are.

theczech99
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I found the last 3 papers I needed last night. I used a post online that gave the location of each paper. I read the list and marked the three I didnít remember finding. I knew exactly what chapter and checkpoint to load and started searching. The first two were in the Wall chapter and the last was in the Heartland chapter. Now I need to start working on the trophies for the MP but with that part of the game not working properly on the PS3 I might wait until a patch is released.

Toxic Avenger72
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Here is a really nice website (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/03/16/homefront-news-pickups-locations-guide-xbox-360-ps3-pc.htm) I've found for finding the papers for this game. They also do a really nice job for other games as well.