PDA

View Full Version : Homefront sales top 1 million, shipments over 2.4 million

TheFreak75
03-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Gamepost just posted this on their website:

THQ's near-future shooter goes platinum in sell-through numbers, reaches new sell-in milestone internationally.

"Last week, Homefront's less-than-stellar review average helped cause publisher THQ's stock to lose 21 percent of its value in a single day. On Metacritic, which is owned by GameSpot parent company CBS Interactive, the game is averaging 70 out of a possible 100, with GameSpot giving the title 7.0 out of a possible 10. To quell investor concern, THQ subsequently announced that day-one sales for the game amounted to 375,000 units in North America alone.

Homefront might prove to be a home run for THQ.

With the game having now been available in many major markets for a full week, THQ has offered another update on Homefront's closely watched commercial performance. Today, the publisher announced that Homefront has already sold through over 1 million units worldwide. As of this week, the near-future shooter also boasted shipments of 2.4 million units globally.

Those figures won't be the final tally for Homefront. Electronic Entertainment Design and Research vice president of capital research Jesse Divnich predicts that when the final numbers are in, Homefront will top 3 million in domestic and international lifetime sales.

"The 375,000 day one unit sales announcement demonstrated that Homefront was on track to surpass 1 million units in its first week and produce a ship-in figure in excess of 2 million units," said Divnich in a note to investors. "The market's narrow view and overreliance on aggregated review scores prevented analysts and investors from observing the big picture--Homefront will be a success for THQ."

THQ's plans for Homefront won't end with the initial product. The company plans to support the game with a pipeline of downloadable content that will debut on the Xbox 360. A sequel for the game is also already in the preplanning stages. "

Here is the link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6305653.ht ... Btitle%3B1 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6305653.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1)

Psalm
03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Anything with THQ/KAOS's name on it won't sell 1,000,000 again...Even if they do fix this debocle.

TheFreak75
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Anything with THQ/KAOS's name on it won't sell 1,000,000 again...Even if they do fix this debocle.
I hear ya brother!!!

ustolemygmrtag
03-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't know. Consumers have really short memories. But you never know, the next installment might sell 5 million the 1st week. :-? Or it could just flop. We will not know until it happens. But, I really do think they learned their lesson with this release. At least I hope so.

Borlaxx
03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Well, I have to think that out of the million people who bought it, about 25% of those have returned it and told their friends not to buy it. They have to sell 2 million copies to break even is what I heard. Since the bad word of mouth is getting around, it may not sell another million copies. Those million people who already bought it did so before everyone knew about how the game was broken. Just because they shipped over 2 million doesn't mean people are going to buy them, especially with all the used copies that will be available.

I called Gamestop yesterday to see how much they are going to give in trade for HF and it is already down to $20. That is pathetic for a very new game.

TheFreak75
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't know. Consumers have really short memories. But you never know, the next installment might sell 5 million the 1st week. :-? Or it could just flop. We will not know until it happens. But, I really do think they learned their lesson with this release. At least I hope so.
Let's hope they fix the mp so the party can play together and all the other stuff too! My patience is wearing thin by the minute. If they fix it you will see me playing it on a regular basis, it showed promise but still to deliver.

ustolemygmrtag
03-25-2011, 09:59 AM
From what I am hearing the actual return numbers are less than 10% and the sales are still very high. I went to 3 different Game Stops looking for a used copy, and there were none to be found. I talked to the manager at the GS near my house and he said that they have not had 1 returned or traded since launch. That is weird. Because I know for sure allot of people are mad. But, I also did some checking on the Homefront forums. There are about 20 trolls there that are creating all the Bad threads. Most there post decent threads, but these guys are just causing havoc. Some have been banned from creating new threads. ROFL.

In all honesty, I fell the actual effected percentage might be less that 10% but I am guessing at that too. Most of the non MP types are really good at making themselves heard, by whining, cussing, flaming and trolling wherever they go. And also get most of the attention. And the ones that can play, and are not having issues usually do not goto the forums, because they are too busy playing. I just feel that THQ and KAOS will pull this out, and we will see another great FPS Title to choose from in all the top FPS.

I know, I am a true Fanboy. :tongue: ;)

ustolemygmrtag
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Let's hope they fix the mp so the party can play together and all the other stuff too! My patience is wearing thin by the minute. If they fix it you will see me playing it on a regular basis, it showed promise but still to deliver.

TO everyone that held out and still have the game. Hold on until the next patch. There are things I cannot talk about that are on the way that will really make this game shine after they get it fixed. The DLC 1st pack is done, just waiting on the game to be fixed.

Borlaxx
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
In all honesty, I fell the actual effected percentage might be less that 10% but I am guessing at that too
Find that hard to believe since it seems about 100% of us on both systems are having problems. Perhaps there aren't many trade ins because people such as myself really don't want to take a $40 hit on a game that has been out less than two weeks and are holding on to it in the hopes that they fix it.

Toxic Avenger72
03-25-2011, 10:21 AM
TO everyone that held out and still have the game. Hold on until the next patch. There are things I cannot talk about that are on the way that will really make this game shine after they get it fixed. The DLC 1st pack is done, just waiting on the game to be fixed.

The patch will need to work before I even consider buying the DLC.

I'm still hoping THQ/KAOS will fix this but my patience is wearing thin. The MP portion has a "fun" factor to it but not playing with fellow MPs is a real bummer. I played some last night and noticed they have disabled the join friends capability. :( Joining others in a lobby and going into a game together doesn't work either.

RC-1136
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I was a true fanboy, but not anymore. I'm sick of waiting for a patch to play this game. It's so disappointed everything looked so good.

Psalm
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
@Nate, It was always $20 credit at Gamestop. I saw it up on the board as $20 night of purchase.
@Lee, If you have an inside line to Kaos, you should mention that they would save ALOT of face if this DLC was offered either Free or very, very cheap. I can't see paying $15 for a few maps or guns.

Borlaxx
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
@Nate, It was always $20 credit at Gamestop. I saw it up on the board as $20 night of purchase.
@Lee, If you have an inside line to Kaos, you should mention that they would save ALOT of face if this DLC was offered either Free or very, very cheap. I can't see paying $15 for a few maps or guns.
Must be because of the online pass. I have some older games that still trade in higher than that.

Psalm
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Must be because of the online pass. I have some older games that still trade in higher than that.
I am thinking you are right....

Retro
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
The owner of my local game store said that trading in the game is non-existant at his store, he's refusing to accept any copies. Blockbuster up until next Tuesday is giving people 75% of the purchase price in store credit. That is their regular promotion for all new release games, 75% back on games within 2 weeks of release. I'll have to ask them what they are giving for HF after that.
Gamestop here is now only giving $12.75. Best Buy/Future Shop is still giving $35 as of the 21st.

Here's the Canadian site for trade-in values. It's updated by the gaming community who have just done a trade-in.
http://www.tivs.ca/trade-in-values/

Pwizzle99
03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Personally, I like this game. To me, it is bfbc with better graphics. Once they fix the joining friends feature I think it will be the only shooter I play for a while.
I like that nothing is in the game that doesn't have a counter measure. In bfbc.... snipers can stay hidden indefinitely and then u end up play against teams of nothing but snipers.
In homefront u can at least counter them with rockets or uav drones.

Borlaxx
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
To me, it is bfbc with better graphics.
Really?

Don't want to be a troll, but this game has much worse graphics than BFBC2. The textures and drawl distance is horrible. Enemies far away look like a blurry, white, pixel.

CELockwood
03-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Personally, I like this game. To me, it is bfbc with better graphics. Once they fix the joining friends feature I think it will be the only shooter I play for a while.
I like that nothing is in the game that doesn't have a counter measure. In bfbc.... snipers can stay hidden indefinitely and then u end up play against teams of nothing but snipers.

Part of what makes snipers harder for new BC2 players is that we play so much HC, where it's usually they get a one shot kill, no kill cam, and no spotting. In regular mode, it's harder to kill people with sniper rifles, they're a lot easier to find, and so you see a lot fewer of them.

After a while, though, you start realizing where the likely snipers hangout's are and taking cover appropiately. Not that I don't get sniped, but it's not nearly as bad as when I started. And while they're sniping, I'm taking objectives. :)

Pwizzle99
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Really?

Don't want to be a troll, but this game has much worse graphics than BFBC2. The textures and drawl distance is horrible. Enemies far away look like a blurry, white, pixel.

Yes, really.
To me, bfbc has a lot more jerky animations and distortions. Same TV, same game system....but to me it graphically looks better. Yes, they are still fine tuning graphics in the game.... but I like it better.

Retro
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Really?

Yes, really.
To me, bfbc has a lot more jerky animations and distortions. Same TV, same game system....but to me it graphically looks better. Yes, they are still fine tuning graphics in the game.... but I like it better.
Damn! I thought HF looked like CoD2 on my PS2!

Borlaxx
03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Really?

Yes, really.
To each their own I guess. Glad you like it. IMO the grenade throwing animation in HF is the worse I have ever seen.

Pwizzle99
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM

Part of what makes snipers harder for new BC2 players is that we play so much HC, where it's usually they get a one shot kill, no kill cam, and no spotting. In regular mode, it's harder to kill people with sniper rifles, they're a lot easier to find, and so you see a lot fewer of them.

After a while, though, you start realizing where the likely snipers hangout's are and taking cover appropiately. Not that I don't get sniped, but it's not nearly as bad as when I started. And while they're sniping, I'm taking objectives. :)

True. But it gets old to get ur ass handed to u by a cheesy ass sniper hidden in a tree that has 4 buddies with skier rifles covering every possible advance route.
It may be personal bias because sniping bores me to death. But I don't tend to rage if I'm killed by someone other than a player staring down a scope and no where else.

Pwizzle99
03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
To each their own I guess. Glad you like it. IMO the grenade throwing animation in HF is the worse I have ever seen.

Maybe that's the thing.... I like the visuals I see on a constant basis. Grenade actions aren't something that bother me since u only see it for 2 seconds.
And maybe its the combination of enjoying the gameplay that makes me like the graphics more. I don't know. I'm not trying to sway anyone to my side. LOL. Just gave my opinion is all.

CELockwood
03-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Maybe that's the thing.... I like the visuals I see on a constant basis. Grenade actions aren't something that bother me since u only see it for 2 seconds.
And maybe its the combination of enjoying the gameplay that makes me like the graphics more. I don't know. I'm not trying to sway anyone to my side. LOL. Just gave my opinion is all.

There are some things, I actually liked about HF: the depth of loadout customization is pretty cool, the maps are sized well and have a lot of depth to them, the games are fast paced, and should be relatively competitive with the autobalancing (though I ran into some weird problems with that during one session).

It plays much different than bc2, though, at least if your playing as a squad/team. There's just not as much potential for cooperative play. Not good or bad, just not something I'll stick with for very long. Other than team play, the only significant complaint I had about the game (excluding connection issues) was the battlepoint system. It's a good idea, if the teams are balanced well; if not, things go from bad to worse pretty damn quick as one side continues to build up battlepoints, buy more and more expensive toys, and just crush the other side. My $0.02.

On the graphics, jstsmguy, you playing on an HD set?

Pwizzle99
03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes. 47" 1080i HD TV.

CELockwood
03-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes. 47" 1080i HD TV.

Nice. Forget I asked.

Pwizzle99
03-25-2011, 10:03 PM
LOL

Spike Forehand
03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I find it very disconcerting that they will get a nice haul out of this regardless of putting out a game with basically a completely busted multiplayer element. What that shows me is that marketing at the expense of programming works and we can expect more studios to follow suit and short the programming spend and load up on marketing spend. While it's nice to think they have "learned their lesson", we may not realize what they actually have learned.

As to the graphics element, I think the basic static visuals - landscape/buildings/etc.- are fine, but all the animations are really weak. For me, there is also something really funky about player movement and aiming that I can't seem to get right. I have tried moving the "Look Sensitivity" up and down, and will continue to try to tune that in somewhat. However, when I go back to BFBC2, what always strikes me is how smooth the player movement is.

They NEED to make the first DLC free, because I will not pay a penny for it. Would hope that everyone feels that way.

They put out a broken game, that has been all but unplayable for going on three weeks now. They owe the gamer community something for all our frustration. They have a chance to build some goodwill by making this DLC free. However, if they put out a half-ass patch that partially fixes the problem and then attempt to charge us for DLC right after that, they will not get another dime from me and I will cross their fucking names off my list for any future purchase.