PDA

View Full Version : THQ Boss Talks About Creative Marketing

Borlaxx
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6307414.ht ... Btitle%3B3 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6307414.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B3)

The reason Bilson said he's EVP of core games at THQ now is because he played games, apparently a rare quality among gaming executives.

"In the game industry, it makes me a genius," Bilson said.
Pathetic and sad

He discussed the green-light process at THQ, saying each project starts with an early concept that answers what the dream is for the project. When people ask him how testing is on the project, he usually lies and says it tests through the roof.

"We don't test," Bilson said. "What are 16 teenagers in Encino going to tell us that we don't know? If I ever get to the point where I need to ask what a 15 year old wants these days, it's time to go to the rest home...because you're done." Star Wars and Titanic tested like crap, Bilson noted.
No marketing testing? Not surprising.

Talking about Homefront, Bilson said the game was originally about a Chinese invasion of the US instead of a North Korean invasion. However, THQ's Chinese offices pointed out that such a product could make their lives a lot more complicated, so the decision was made to cast North Korea as the occupying force instead.
Doesn't really matter. For all its potential, I don't think anyone really cares who they are fighting in this game, because the SP story blows.

While Bilson acknowledged that the Homefront marketing campaign didn't have the funding of its competitors, he said it managed to achieve a comparable reach, thanks to savvy decision. One of the changes in how they treat games deals with asset drops for games. Bilson said the old approach was to pepper people with new screens and videos constantly, but THQ has taken a "bombs, not bullets" approach of late. Instead of keeping the game in people's minds for the entire length of development, Bilson said it's important to announce the game with something big and then load the rest of the marketing budget into the launch period.
Yes, rather than keep gamers informed with game footage and screen shots, instead spend millions on stupid publicity stunts with balloons and a taco truck, a book based on a 4 hour campaign, and live action vids that are much more interesting than the actual game they promote. That way no one will know your game is an ugly, broken POS until they have already picked up their pre-order.

As for those assets, Bilson said they try to market with non-game assets. They sell the world, the concept, and the dream of the game instead of in-game features. That engages the audience's imagination, he explained, and lets the marketers leave the developers alone to actually make the game.
Yes, hype is more important than the actual game. Fucking tool.

RC-1136
04-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I guess they used Activision and COD as their business model. What an arrogant a-hole.

Psalm
04-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Stuff like this makes me want to quit gaming.

TrojanTeacher
04-08-2011, 02:54 PM

WHOA THERE! Let's not get crazy! :)) :hug:

Psalm
04-08-2011, 03:00 PM

WHOA THERE! Let's not get crazy! :)) :hug:
true...I overreacted..only a mankini teabagging would make me quit gaming...and since I don't play KZ3 :D

Raider
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Haha!!!! It's always the tool that truly knows nothing about the product that is always in charge. Can someone say "get a rope!"

Spike Forehand
04-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Douchebag.

I work with a lot of marketing types, and they all have see kinds of huge blind egos. Would love to someday own a company just so I could fire dudes like this guy.