PDA

View Full Version : Dragon's Dogma

Retro
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Not out until 2012, but seems interesting. I'm guessing this will get alot of attention at E3 this year. It's made by Capcom and will be for the 360 & PS3.

[yt:2evci7vt]Vf9SjtrXXT0[/yt:2evci7vt]

Here is the link to the original article.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1161217p1.html

HardlyCapable13
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried this out and what your thoughts are. Looks interesting with some epic battles.
There's a demo on XBL but I've yet to play it.
http://www.dragonsdogma.com/

HardlyCapable13
05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Demo on PSN also.

Retro
05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Had not of this game until now.

[yt:yidklfgy]LWk2DgrZ80g#![/yt:yidklfgy]

May have to get this. :-?

Borlaxx
05-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Haven't look at it, but did see IGN say it was the #1 selling game in Japan right now.

Retro
05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Review from IGN (seems kind of all over the place but IGN reviews have been that way the last few years).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/05/21/dragons-dogma-review

Dragon's Dogma gets better the more time you put into it, and it's about 35 hours long. If you get over the 15 hour barrier, you'll want to see the game through.

It's a mixed bag. Outside, the scenery can be gorgeous and the monsters impressive, but there are serious graphical glitches that can't be ignored.

The excellent combat and character progression carry the entire experience, and make you want to persist.

HardlyCapable13
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah, most of the reviews are mixed. But from what I've seen I am going to give this one a chacne.

Retro
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Hard to go wrong with a Capcom game.

HardlyCapable13
06-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Anyone given this game a try?

Borlaxx
12-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Recently got Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen for free through PS+, which is the original game plus a large DLC with a dungeon that keeps descending that I hear is similar in a way to the Demon Souls games.

It isn't an easy game. The combat itself is no cake walk (button mashing = fail), and the depth of the gameplay and features can be a bit overwhelming at first. In short, it isn't user friendly at all.

But that is why I love it so far. Each enemy you defeat feels like an accomplishment. Even a lone bandit can easily kill you if you screw around, and some of the bigger monsters I have fought require careful thinking and timing. This seems to be the game I wanted Monster Hunter to be.

The combat is awesome. My character is a sword and shield fighter, but once you get into the game a bit you can pay some gold to switch your class whenever you want, and each "career" levels independently from your overall level as well, unlocking new abilities. The leveling is pretty deep, and although there aren't a ton of moves, each move has a purpose and you have to carefully consider which abilities you have equiped before heading into battle because they can only be changed in towns. You also have to make sure you have plenty of oil for your lanterns, as running out in a dark cave or at night = death.

With that said, the game does have some frequent graphical and gameplay glitches, but nothing gamebreaking. Hair clips through armor, weapons float a few inches from people's backs, and occasionally pawns (the NPCs who you can recruit) will get stuck on something like a rock and then suddenly appear right next to you a moment later. There are also frequent instances of not just object pop-in, but even enemies suddenly appearing out of nowhere after your pawns alert you to their presence.

It is far from a perfect game, but the combat is awesome enough that the negatives don't weigh it down much. If you like action RPGs that are a challenge instead of just a button masher, I highly recommend it. Just be prepared to go through some trial and error first before you get into the groove of it.

Gink
12-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Agree completely with your summary. The only RPG I've played recently that was more challenging to get going on was Risen, which I ended up really enjoying, so I was actually pretty excited when I loaded up Dragon's Dogma and had no idea wtf I was doing.

I quickly put 50-60 hours in, as this was one of those games I pretty much had to put an hour or two in a night. The huge enemies are pretty awesome, being able, or pretty much having to scale an enemy to take them down is a blast. Taking down your first Chimera or Griffin is an awesome feeling. I also really enjoyed the pawn system, and thought it was a really unique aspect to the game. Having our own pawn that you design and level up added to the always enjoyable RPG levelling-up fun, and being able to hire other player's pawns as support comes in handy.