PDA

View Full Version : The Voice

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Did anyone else watch this new show last night? I turned it on expecting to hate it, but I have to say, it was awesome! I will likely watch the entire season. It is a singing competition kind of like American Idol, but so far IMO, much, much better.

As I am sure most of you know, I am a metal fan first and foremost but I do appreciate most kinds of music, and even if I don't like a genre, I can recognize talent when I see it. Last nights audition episode had more talented singers than the last 5 years of American Idol combined. I used to watch American Idol during the first two seasons, but it quickly became apparent that show was more about the judges and a teenage girl popularity contest than it was about talent. The Voice seems to be the opposite.

First, you have the judges, all four of them accomplished musicians who actually can sing and not just produce and talk shit like the American Idol hosts (I know Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are on there now, but that IMO is a gimmick). You have Christina Aguilera, the female singing superstar, who although I wouldn't call myself a fan, can sing her ass off. Next you have Cee Lo Green, the amazing vocalist for Gnarles Barkley and who currently has the #1 single in America with his soul throwback song "Forget You" which I love. Then you Adam Levine, the lead singer of Maroon 5, and while I am not a fan of the band, I can admit the guy has talent. Finally Blake Shelton, a country music star, and once again, not a fan of country, but the guy can sing.

They started out the show with the four of them preforming the Gnarles Barkley song "Crazy" which is an amazing song. Unlike other shows where the judges and celebrity performers dial in their performance, often lip-synced, with obviously no rehearsals, on last night show the four of them NAILED the song and had obviously practiced before. I was impressed. Adam opened the song on vocals, followed by Blake, and then when the music kicked in (with Adam playing drums and Blake playing guitar) Cee Lo and Christina sung their asses off. It was great! Most important, they all looked like they were having fun instead of just collecting a check.

Here is the video of that performance. BTW, Cee Lo wearing a Misfits t-shirt is EPIC WIN and makes me like him that much more:

[yt:1epzvhbi]va-QvaSpWL4[/yt:1epzvhbi]

The actual competition is a little different from American Idol, and in a very good way. When the contestants first come out, the judges all have their backs turned to them and cannot see what they look like. All they can base their judgment on it the person's voice rather than judging them based on their looks. In short, it is about the voice, not the image. Then if they like what they hear during the song they can turn around, thus indicating they want that contestant on their team, and if more than one judge turns around, the contestant has to choose who they want to work with. Each judge is going to pick a team of 8 people that they want to work with, and then the teams will compete with two people performing the same song in a sing-off during the season to see who will win.

While there were some very attractive and talented singers on the show, there were also some fantastic singers who don't fit the mold with it comes to music star looks. You had a fat white kid with an AMAZING voice (all four judges wanted to work with him), a young couple who live together in a basement, a homeless girl, and a 40-something year old lesbian rocker chick with tons of tattoos and a shaved head. Only a couple people weren't chosen to be on a team, and even those who were not chosen were better than 90% of the finalists on any season of American Idol. Several of the contestants sounded like they could cut a record today and be on the radio tomorrow.

If you like LEGITIMATE singing talent across multiple genres, and are sick of American Idol (who isn't) I highly recommend this show. This will be my new guilty pleasure.

Here is a link to the official site: http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
What?!?! No one else?!?!

Shocker........ =)) L-)

Trez
04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Adam Levine is dreamy. :daydream:

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Adam Levine is dreamy. :daydream:
=))

Trez
04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
In all honesty I probably would have watched this if I wasn't sick in bed at 6:30 last night.

I really like the concept and the judges are a great choice. I'll probaly check this on demand at some point.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 01:37 PM
In all honesty I probably would have watched this if I wasn't sick in bed at 6:30 last night.

I really like the concept and the judges are a great choice. I'll probaly check this on demand at some point.
Someone told me they are showing it again tonight.