PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of PSN Hack and Outage

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DayliteMag
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Not sure if anyone here has experienced this just yet, but apparently there is a major problem with the PS network and it could be down for a day or two. I've been trying to log-on for the last few hours and keep getting an error message. I googled PSN and an article came up explaining that PSN is down, possibly due to some sort of hack. The fact that the Sony is saying it could be down for a "day or two", leads one to believe that they don't know what the problem is.

Borlaxx
04-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Not sure if anyone here has experienced this just yet, but apparently there is a major problem with the PS network and it could be down for a day or two. I've been trying to log-on for the last few hours and keep getting an error message. I googled PSN and an article came up explaining that PSN is down, possibly due to some sort of hack. The fact that the Sony is saying it could be down for a "day or two", leads one to believe that they don't know what the problem is.
FUCK.

Guess it is time to play some Castlevania then.

Borlaxx
04-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Here is a link to an article on Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6309508.ht ... Btitle%3B1 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6309508.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1)

Also, Anonymous, the d-bag hacker group that pledged war on Sony in response to the Geohotz case, is saying this is NOT THEIR DOING, and I am sure if it was, they would be all over this claiming responsibility. Apparently they called off their attacks after it became apparent that the gamers who were having their experience effected by the hack attacks were not behind them, and that they weren't really causing any harm to Sony.

Whatever the cause, be it hackers or an internal problem, I hope they have this back up soon. The weekends is when I get most of my gaming time, and although I have Castlevania to play for a SP game when the network is down, I will be wanting to shoot people online soon.

xMisFitToyx
04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I tried to do a little Online Play this AM......and said it could not connect to PSN...

Borlaxx
04-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Looks like nobody will be able to play anything online for a couple days. Really sucks for people who just got SOCOM 4, Portal 2 or any other online game.

xMisFitToyx
04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Looks like nobody will be able to play anything online for a couple days. Really sucks for people who just got SOCOM 4, Portal 2 or any other online game.

I have BlOps Wii....... :D

Or destroy some M-Comms and collect weapons on BC2 SP

dinsdale1978
04-21-2011, 01:38 PM
That's what happens when someone added Kevin Butler their friends list...too much awesome.

SPE825
04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I was debating getting Portal 2 because I was going to play some Crysis 2 this weekend. Looks like I'll be picking up Portal 2 for some good single player now! Seems like Amazon's EC2 problem has brought down a ton of sites as well today. Not sure it that's related, but overall it's not a great day for the Internets.

SPE825

Retro
04-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking Brink will be a 360 purchase!

Raider
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I tried to do a little Online Play this AM......and said it could not connect to PSN...

Wouldn't have been an issue if you bought the xbox, just sayin' =))

Retro
04-21-2011, 04:15 PM

You know what they say, you get what you pay for! :-"

Now watch xbl will be down for the next week. :-ss

xMisFitToyx
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM

I mean....Check out my AVATAR.....what is not to love about Killzone 3 and Little Big Planet.....
:p :p :p :p :p

sam007
04-21-2011, 07:58 PM
[yt:3n1hd2yu]XLTDThbv1HU[/yt:3n1hd2yu]

Psalm
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
[yt:2oueg1d0]XLTDThbv1HU[/yt:2oueg1d0]
Sam....I merged this in with the exisiting thread.

sam007
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I had a brain fart and put it under the BC2 area. :-\

I did not even realize PSN was down until I saw that on Youtube.

SPE825
04-22-2011, 07:56 AM
This happening to PSN is making me consider NOT getting a PS4 (or whatever they name it) whenever the next console cycle starts.

RC-1136
04-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Still couldn't log in this morning. Really blows. It is making finish the Crysis 2 Sp, but now I think it glitched and I am stuck in a room that I can't get out of. Fun times.

dinsdale1978
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Everyone calm down and just wait for them to fix the network. Frankly, this could easily happen to the 360 or Steam. Once again this reminds me of something Louis CK said.

[yt:1q9z8x6k]8r1CZTLk-Gk[/yt:1q9z8x6k]

It actually felt nice to do something different last night. :|

04-22-2011, 08:46 AM
It was nice. I played the awesome Mass Effect 2 and didn't get mad once.

dinsdale1978
04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
This happening to PSN is making me consider NOT getting a PS4 (or whatever they name it) whenever the next console cycle starts.

That may be years from now.

Borlaxx
04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
It isn't the end of the world. Played some SP games last night instead. It will be back up as soon as they can get it working. No network is perfect, and even the 360 network could go down, whether people pay for it or not.

DayliteMag
04-22-2011, 10:24 AM
It isn't the end of the world. Played some SP games last night instead. It will be back up as soon as they can get it working. No network is perfect, and even the 360 network could go down, whether people pay for it or not.

+1

RC-1136
04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Any news if the network is back up?

Borlaxx
04-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Any news if the network is back up?
Not that I have seen, and I just checked for news.

SPE825
04-22-2011, 03:01 PM

That may be years from now.

True. But I have been debating getting multi-player games on the 360 ever since the Blackops problems as well as the fact the 360 seems to get everything first in terms of DLC. I may in fact go trade Black Ops or Crysis 2 for the 360 versions tonight.

Retro
04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
No network is perfect, and even the 360 network could go down, whether people pay for it or not.

True, any network can crash. But part of the money for xbl goes to back-up systems and a far more robust network than PSN. I sometimes wonder if all this is a ploy by Sony to use it as an excuse to switch to the xbl model when they bring out the next PS console.

dinsdale1978
04-22-2011, 04:25 PM
The real solution to increase PS3 sales and boost the PSN would be to adopt the Steam application as their party and profile system. It works for Portal 2 so why not make it the infrastructure for their servers?

dinsdale1978
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Also just to put this into perspective, imagine the Japanese gamers that will be lucky to see their PSN account in the next year or ever. A minor inconvenience in our digital entertainment is a drop of water in the sea of tragedy that our world constantly floats upon.

xMisFitToyx
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Also just to put this into perspective, imagine the Japanese gamers that will be lucky to see their PSN account in the next year or ever. A minor inconvenience in our digital entertainment is a drop of water in the sea of tragedy that our world constantly floats upon.

AMEN BROTHER........... :cheers:

Borlaxx
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
+1

sam007
04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
What's everyone doing on the PS3 side since its down???

:party: with the wife? =)) =)) =))

Retro
04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
The real solution to increase PS3 sales and boost the PSN would be to adopt the Steam application as their party and profile system. It works for Portal 2 so why not make it the infrastructure for their servers?
That would be cool.

dinsdale1978
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
What's everyone doing on the PS3 side since its down???

:party: with the wife? =)) =)) =))

The PS3 still works. You just can't play online. Nearly all the games still work. I have played Start the Party with my daughter, Black Ops Combat Training with gold camos, and Mass Effect 2. There has also been a lot of Minecraft on my plate lately. I just got Fraps and am amassing a new set of videos for commentary.

RFK48
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Finally an update! Seems like PlaystationEU gives more info than what we get.

Update On PlayStation Network/Qriocity Services

Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

Here's the link: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -services/ (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/23/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/)

Borlaxx
04-23-2011, 10:20 AM

An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

Here's the link: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -services/ (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/23/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/)
Yup, saw something about that on Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310113.ht ... Btitle%3B1 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310113.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1)

Appears the PSN was attacked by hackers, and Sony brought it down to find and correct the problem.

Have I mentioned how much I hate fucking slimy douche-bag hacking cock suckers?

Hopefully it will be up soon, and that those responsible are somehow punished for this.

mechatool
04-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Yup, saw something about that on Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310113.ht ... Btitle%3B1 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310113.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1)
Appears the PSN was attacked by hackers, and Sony brought it down to find and correct the problem.
Have I mentioned how much I hate **** slimy douche-bag hacking **** suckers?
Hopefully it will be up soon, and that those responsible are somehow punished for this.

+1. I read the same article this morning

REMEC87
04-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Watching hockey...after that hoping for some updates... Please...

RFK48
04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
This does'nt sound good time wise, but I guess it's worth the extra security. Here's the link: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -services/ (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/)

dinsdale1978
04-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Just remember that when Halo 3 dropped, XBL was down for about two weeks. So this isn't just a PS problem. O:-)

devilsadvoc8
04-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I've been traveling the last two months and my only multi-player time is on the weekend. This sucks but oh well. I fired up Dragon Age Origins and got back into that.

I'm not that fired up about the outage. For a free network, PSN has run very smoothly for an extended period.

Retro
04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Just remember that when Halo 3 dropped, XBL was down for about two weeks.
Umm no, it went down for a day at most for some people and not at all for others and there were some lag issues for about a week. And that was because over 1.2 million people signed on during the same 12 hour period to play the same game.

Retro
04-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Just remember that when Halo 3 dropped, XBL was down for about two weeks.
Umm no, it went down for a day at most for some people and not at all for others and there were some lag issues for about a week. And that was because over 1.2 million people signed on during the same 12 hour period to play the same game.

From what I read it was "down" for two full days and intermittent for a week or up to a month afterward. The real issue is that both systems are hackable now and the hackers want to target PSN because they feel some sort of need for retribution for Sony prosecuting one of the gutless hackers. I hope they all get criminal records that keep them from getting employed and end up selling shovelware at Best Buy.
Mine went down for a day, others had issues for longer.

As for Best Buy, I don't know what you do for a living but working for Best Buy allowed me to go into semi-retirement at 34.

Borlaxx
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
It does suck big time, but I will live. I have other off-line games to play, and gaming less in general until they get it back up and running isn't a bad thing. Like others have said, for a free network, the PSN kicks ass, and I can deal with an outage. Hopefully whatever improvements they make will stop the coward hackers from screwing up others gaming experience. Like I said before, I don't buy the whole "hackers are trying to preserve your freedoms with what you buy" argument, and this type of BS is the reason why.

RFK48
04-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I have no problem with what they are doing, I think it's a good idea. I just hope they get it right the first time and we don't experience problems for weeks to come!

Spike Forehand
04-24-2011, 11:57 AM
It's very obvious that it's because Skynet became self aware.

TonkaToys
04-24-2011, 03:48 PM
It's very obvious that it's because Skynet became self aware.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

That was on 21st April mate, although it changes with every outing so perhaps it was a day early this time? :cheers:

Bongtoker A2
04-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Rumor Mill: several online sources reporting the PSN could be down until June. In other news Xbox live is 60% off right now!

dinsdale1978
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Rumor Mill: several online sources reporting the PSN could be down until June. In other news Xbox live is 60% off right now!

If that is true, I will be getting my 360 earlier than I thought... ~x(

Retro
04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
These are dark days for PlayStation 3 gamers. The PlayStation Network has been out of commission since Wednesday evening, and ever since then, access to the PSN and the PlayStation Store has been cut off. That means that you can't download titles, sync your Trophies, or even play online multiplayer.

Can you imagine how gamers who this week eagerly purchased Portal 2, Mortal Kombat or SOCOM 4 feel? But beyond that, what about the rest of us?

In a sense, outages like this should be expected with the PlayStation Network. It's a free service (unlike Xbox Live) and as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But this lack of a financial stake for customers seems to equate to the lackadaisical response from Sony itself.

Other than inexcusably vague, inconsistent and brief updates from the PlayStation Blog, tangible information about what's going on with the PlayStation Network is non-existent. There seems to have been no attempt to answer the fundamental questions millions of PlayStation 3 users have right now, such as what the problem is and when the problem will be fixed. Heck, as IGN's News Director Jim Reilly brought up on his Twitter account, Sony hasn't even answered a question as fundamental as if users' credit card information has been compromised.

All Sony has said since Wednesday is that the PlayStation Network is down, that the company knows the problem was external to the Network itself, and that Sony is investigating the cause.

All of that's great, but what are they going to do to make it up to us?

Yes, the PlayStation Network is free. But when I purchased my PlayStation 3, part of what I paid for was access to the PSN. Without it, the PS3 can do about as much as my NES can -- play games that I put into it (and, in the PS3's case, games already downloaded to it). I'm not a huge fan of online multiplayer, but I do like accessing leaderboards, syncing my Trophies and checking up on my friends. I barely have the will to play PS3 without its online functionality, and I know there are millions of gamers that feel the same.

And moreover, unlike the PSN, time isn't free. Many gamers use the weekend (especially a long weekend like this one) to chip away at their backlogs. As I mentioned earlier, three huge games came out this week and all have a varying focus on online play. This means that none of these games can be played in the way they were intended, and that's ignoring all the games that came before them that people also can't play.

Heck, can you imagine the small developers who have released games recently on the PSN, losing precious money with each PSN-less hour that goes by? I can only imagine that there are more than a few developers flipping out over this outage out there.

I understand that an attack external to PSN isn't Sony's fault. But the reasons for this extended outage haven't been well-communicated to the PlayStation 3 community whatsoever, and frankly, keeping the PSN offline for an extended period of time while an ongoing investigation is conducted into what happened bodes poorly for the extent of the attack and the damage it may have caused.

So what do you think Sony should do to make this extended outage up to PlayStation 3 gamers? Should you be able to log-on to the PSN when it's back up with a few extra dollars in your PS Store wallet? Should you get a free PSN game, PSone Classic or PlayStation Mini? Or should nothing be done at all? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

From IGN

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163747p1.html

Retro
04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Update 2: Patrick Seybold posted an update on the PlayStation Blog saying the outage will continue and that Sony is rebuilding its system to "further strengthen our network infrastructure." His statement can be read in full below:

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security. We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

Update 1: Sony tonight issued a statement saying the PlayStation Network outage is due to an "external intrusion" but did not clarify beyond that. A timetable for when PSN will be up and running again was also not provided.

Hacker group Anonymous said today they are not claiming responsibility for this particular outage, however.

The statement in full from Senior Director of Corporate Communications Patrick Seybold can be read below:
An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th.

Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

Original Story: PlayStation Network outages may last up to a full day or two before the service is back up and running, Sony said today.

The company is currently investigating the cause of the outages, which began late last night. No word yet on whether or not this outage is related to the same outage occurrences from earlier this month that was likely spurred on by the hacker group known as Anonymous.

Users unable to sign on are greeted with PSN Error Message 80710A06. Are you able to sign on? Let us know in the comments below.

Also from IGN
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163299p1.html

Retro
04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security. We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

That right there makes me think this has nothing to do with any attack on the network. They had a crash and decided to bring it down and use this excuse of an attack to buy them time to implement the changes they wanted. People with PSN+ should be getting some pay back for this.

dinsdale1978
04-24-2011, 10:33 PM
From PSU:

A source with close connections to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe reports that the attack to the PlayStation Network may be a bit deeper than originally reported by Sony. According to the source, who wishes to remain anonymous, the PSN sustained a LOIC attack (which created a denial-of-service attack) that damaged the server. There was also a concentrated attack on the PlayStation servers holding account information. In addition, “Admin Dev accounts were breached.”

As a result, “Sony then shut down the PSN and [is] currently in the process of restoring backups to new servers with new admin dev accounts.” The SCEE source said Japanese servers may be restored tomorrow while the U.S. and E.U. servers will likely be operational the following day.

While this information is only corroborated via a series of Facebook messages, it is certainly not a stretch. Sony Computer Entertainment America recently confirmed that it pulled down the PSN because of an “external intrusion.” This essentially means that hackers were to blame. Sony is officially conducting a thorough investigation. The PSN and Qriocity services were pulled offline by Sony on Wednesday, April 20.

There was plenty of speculation late this week that the Anonymous hackers group was to blame for the PSN downtime. The group previously targeted Sony in retaliation to the legal action against another hacker. Anonymous has since denied involvement in the current PSN downtime.

Again, this information is from a source who claims to have a very close connection with someone at SCEE. We take these reports for what they are at this time, but it is certainly a possibility. If you have information to share, please do so.

"Everyone deserves the right to know what’s been going on," the source wrote in an email.

Retro
04-25-2011, 12:24 AM
From PSU:

A source with close connections to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe reports that the attack to the PlayStation Network may be a bit deeper than originally reported by Sony. According to the source, who wishes to remain anonymous, the PSN sustained a LOIC attack (which created a denial-of-service attack) that damaged the server. There was also a concentrated attack on the PlayStation servers holding account information. In addition, “Admin Dev accounts were breached.”

As a result, “Sony then shut down the PSN and [is] currently in the process of restoring backups to new servers with new admin dev accounts.” The SCEE source said Japanese servers may be restored tomorrow while the U.S. and E.U. servers will likely be operational the following day.

While this information is only corroborated via a series of Facebook messages, it is certainly not a stretch. Sony Computer Entertainment America recently confirmed that it pulled down the PSN because of an “external intrusion.” This essentially means that hackers were to blame. Sony is officially conducting a thorough investigation. The PSN and Qriocity services were pulled offline by Sony on Wednesday, April 20.

There was plenty of speculation late this week that the Anonymous hackers group was to blame for the PSN downtime. The group previously targeted Sony in retaliation to the legal action against another hacker. Anonymous has since denied involvement in the current PSN downtime.

Again, this information is from a source who claims to have a very close connection with someone at SCEE. We take these reports for what they are at this time, but it is certainly a possibility. If you have information to share, please do so.

"Everyone deserves the right to know what’s been going on," the source wrote in an email.
All the idiots on PSU are making comments that Microsoft is the one that hacked PSN. 8-}

I still say Sony did this themselves. I'm pretty sure (Borlax would know better) but SCEA legally has to notify it's customers of a breech because of personal info and credit card info and they didn't. They waited and when the backlash against them came because of the lack of information they released that little statement about a "external intrusion" but gave no other info. And all hackers want fame and think they will never get caught. If a hacker was able to THIS, someone would be out taking credit for it in some form or another. These guys are all about ego.

Retro
04-25-2011, 12:28 AM
I hope they get this crap sorted out fast, as of right now Brink will be a 360 purchase if Sony doesn't come out and give a damn good explanation. The fact that PSN is down is one thing, no matter how it happened. Sony been tight lipped about it and not giving their customers any real information about what has happened, that's a problem. If I had a credit card tied in with my PSN+ account I'd be calling Sony.

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 08:09 AM
I hope they get this crap sorted out fast, as of right now Brink will be a 360 purchase if Sony doesn't come out and give a damn good explanation. The fact that PSN is down is one thing, no matter how it happened. Sony been tight lipped about it and not giving their customers any real information about what has happened, that's a problem. If I had a credit card tied in with my PSN+ account I'd be calling Sony.
The lack on info coming from Sony is inexcusable, but as a result, pretty much everything else at this point is a rumor, including the extent of the hack or if personal information was compromised. If Sony took down their network to keep personal info from being stolen, bravo to them. I have absolutely no problem with that and they can keep it down as long as it takes. Perhaps there is info out there to show that the PSN could be hacked easier than Live, but even if so the hackers are to blame and not Sony, and if something like this could happen to the 360 group as well, and I am sure the 360 players would want Microsoft to shut down their network as well if that happened.

But like I said, so far everything for the most part is a rumor. I saw Spike said he saw a rumor it would be down till June, while I have seen rumors it would be back up this week. We will see I guess. But like others have said, the lack of communication coming from Sony is inexcusable, and unless they offer a good explanation and get things running perfectly without further issues, I may have to switch to the dark side.

dinsdale1978
04-25-2011, 08:20 AM
[yt:2je2vl84]n7tf3orwP0I[/yt:2je2vl84]

I knew someone would make this sooner or later. BTW this is a great movie. Downfall.

RC-1136
04-25-2011, 08:44 AM
PC Magazine said it would be back up tomorrow, but who knows. I love the dubbed Hilter vids of him being pissed off about almost anything. I know how he feels. I got BFBC2 yesterday and can't wait to get online.

Spike Forehand
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I saw Spike said he saw a rumor it would be down till June, while I have seen rumors it would be back up this week.

It was bongtoker who said June.

I still think it's skynet becoming self aware and we are all basically fucked unless that chick can save us.

[attachment=0:ht643o9e]skynet.jpg[/attachment:ht643o9e]

RC-1136
04-25-2011, 11:44 AM
I saw Spike said he saw a rumor it would be down till June, while I have seen rumors it would be back up this week.

I still think it's skynet becoming self aware and we are all basically fucked unless that chick can save us.

[attachment=0:3oeimdd1]skynet.jpg[/attachment:3oeimdd1]

I knew it was a bad thing when Watson beat those 2 guys on Jeopordy. It was only a matter of time.

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM

[attachment=0:1nqm23bp]skynet.jpg[/attachment:1nqm23bp]
Hopefully the web never becomes self aware, or it will realize it is being objectified daily.

Retro
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM

[attachment=0:13getwx8]skynet.jpg[/attachment:13getwx8]
I've been procrastinating about getting my cybernetic implants, time to get it done so I can waste all you human buggers!!! GO MACHINES!!!

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 12:59 PM
New update, but not much: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310165.ht ... Btitle%3B2 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310165.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B2)

"I know you are waiting for additional information on when PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be online," he said. "Unfortunately, I don’t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time. As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly. We’ll keep you updated with information as it becomes available."
Doesn't sound like it will be back up on Wednesday like some of the rumors are saying, because they aren't even giving a time frame which they probably would do to calm people down if they had one available.

Either that, or they think they will get it back up this week, but aren't stating so in case it goes longer so they don't look foolish like they did after the original "a day or two" time frame passed.

Guess I will have time to finish Castlevania then.

DEATH 2 D-BAG HACKERS

unerds
04-25-2011, 01:03 PM
lots of GGs happening daily over on the Black Ops Wii.... :-"
:D

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
OH SHNAP!

Just remember, next time something goes wrong with the Wii or 360, the fanboy gloves are coming off :p

Retro
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
OH SHNAP!

Just remember, next time something goes wrong with the Wii or 360, the fanboy gloves are coming off :p
When have you ever taken the fanboy gloves off???

XBL=Closed network=WIN!

unerds
04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
OH SHNAP!

No Problem!

have at it!

wii know we've got the shortest straw over here B!

shortest straw w/ 50% cheaper price tag that is!LOL
not an issue for some i know... i know...

offer still stands... GG's everyday, Black Ops Wii!
Who knows how long it'll take them to rebuild their infrastructure?! its been 6 days! LOL

OFC roster has bumped up a bit with this recent PSN failure too.
in all seriousness... it is bunk that a bunch of hacker wankers are ruining things for ya.

xMisFitToyx
04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
in all seriousness... it is bunk that a bunch of hacker wankers are ruining things for ya.

Hasn't bothered me that much....I have taken the opportunity to replay BC2 on Hard.....I have achieved all the Trophies for the Single player campaign....except for destroying (22) M-Comms......I haven't been able to find 3 of them.... :cuss:

Toxic Avenger72
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Hasn't bothered me that much....I have taken the opportunity to replay BC2 on Hard.....I have achieved all the Trophies for the Single player campaign....except for destroying (22) M-Comms......I haven't been able to find 3 of them.... :cuss:

Try this site (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2010/03/07/battlefield-bad-company-2-m-com-locations-guide-xbox-360-ps3-pc.htm). He is really thorough and has Youtube videos.

Raider
04-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Just remember Dog, Raider was looking out for your best interests when telling you to get a 360. No, you didn't listen and you had to April Fools me about getting one. mmmmmmm, karma.

That's right, I said karma! and it ran over your dogma! :p

dinsdale1978
04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Let's keep the console warring to a minimum here. Penny Arcade summed this up for us all.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1261596481_3Fw2MnJ-L.jpg

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Let's keep the console warring to a minimum here. Penny Arcade summed this up for us all.

Perfect

dinsdale1978
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ignPSNwatch

Here's a link that will update and tell you when the PSN is back.

unerds
04-25-2011, 02:00 PM

lol. nah, its all in good fun. Love my MPeeps regardless of the platform.

just offering a temporary solution!

cheers folks, i'll go back to trolling the wii section now. :))

Raider
04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Personally, I think that they shut it down so that it's gamers could take a long break and hope that they would go outdoors and procreate so that they can have more gamers in the future. Us MP's can't procreate the future PS3 gaming community all by ourselves.

xMisFitToyx
04-25-2011, 02:26 PM
All other gamers besides MP's

Uh.........what is procreate :-B .........Just sayin.....

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM

All Other Gamers Besides MP's

"Isn't that when you make a class with all pro perks?"

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Mark this day on your calendars, as I am referring to Fox News as an actual news source: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/ ... dit-cards/ (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/25/hackers-bring-playstation-network-stolen-credit-cards/)

"Hacker's Bring Down PlayStation Network, May Have Stolen Credit Cards"

OMG! They stole credit card info?!?!?!?

Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka said the company was conducting a "thorough investigation" into the outage, which began April 20.

He said Sony did not yet know if users' credit card information or other personal information had been compromised in the attack, but the company would immediately inform users if it had.
Oh, so they MAY have stolen info, but there is no evidence of that yet other than to put it in your headline. /:)

They MAY have also stolen the Colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices, and the secret ingredient for Coke.

xMisFitToyx
04-25-2011, 02:54 PM

All Other Gamers Besides MP's

"Isn't that when you make a class with all pro perks?"

Uh....Yeh.....Yeh.....I think that is what it is......yeh....Pro Perks that's it...... :-B

RC-1136
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I all seriousness. I am really pissed about the lack of information. This is BS. They are a multi-billion $ company. They should F'ing act like it. Assholes. How come when something goes wrong at my job I have to have an answer and or solution within a day? Fucking Clowns. I know it is only the PSN and not something of real importance, but come on. They need to get it together. People spend a lot of money on their products.

Raider
04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I all seriousness. I am really pissed about the lack of information. This is BS. They are a multi-billion $ company. They should F'ing act like it. Assholes. How come when something goes wrong at my job I have to have an answer and or solution within a day? Fucking Clowns. I know it is only the PSN and not something of real importance, but come on. They need to get it together. People spend a lot of money on their products.

That's exactly why I think it's bigger than what they are leading onto. The way that they are acting as a business makes me think this could be something ongoing for quite some time. 2nd, like any other business I've worked at, when the plant was to shut down for maintenance of any kind for any extended amount of time, our customers were given notice ahead of time as not to upset them and let them know how long our services will be down and to the day how long it would be down for. So what their business is trying to tell us with a straight face is that their team of geniuses have no idea how long it will take to implement new things to their OWN infrastructure? That they built? Don't you think that if they knew how to fix the problem that they would have a time frame on how long it would take to fix. You know it has to be bad when you can't tell your customer how long it's gonna be before their product is working. FUBAR

dinsdale1978
04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I am going to start reading the Japanese PSN site with Chrome Translator for my info. First line:

"PlayStation Network" continues to fail a long time, and apologize
=))

Psalm
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I am going to start reading the Japanese PSN site with Chrome Translator for my info. First line:

"PlayStation Network" continues to fail a long time, and apologize
=))
All your base are belong to us..... =)) =))

Retro
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Look at the positives, maybe they adding a party system like XBL! Of course they might also be making it so you have to have PSN+ in order to play games.

04-25-2011, 05:21 PM
I wonder if I would have enough to trade in for a 360 and a game. I know it is not the end of the world but I sure would like to shoot some virtual people soon. The credit card info is not cool. I need to know if I need to cancel my card or something.

Borlaxx
04-25-2011, 05:41 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

If they were attacked by hackers and brought it down to protect their customers, I say Win for Sony. It isn't their fault they were attacked by losers, and if they had to take their network down to prevent a security problem, then I am all for it, and if it is taking them awhile to get it back up because they want to make sure it doesn't happen again, Win again. It isn't like they have had to bring it down entirely and rebuild before, so the lack of an exact time frame is understandable, and they couldn't give us prior notice if the network was taken down for an emergency.

Seriously, no need to freak out. Shit happens.

dinsdale1978
04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I wonder if I would have enough to trade in for a 360 and a game. I know it is not the end of the world but I sure would like to shoot some virtual people soon. The credit card info is not cool. I need to know if I need to cancel my card or something.

I just put about 3 alerts on my card. One for outside the US, one for a amount spent, and one for any activity. Hackers are getting out of hand. You Tube was even on the fritz today and Amazon was out last week for a few minutes.

dinsdale1978
04-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Look at the positives, maybe they adding a party system like XBL! Of course they might also be making it so you have to have PSN+ in order to play games.

Either way I win, already a plus member and pretty darn close to getting a 360.

Retro
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

If they were attacked by hackers and brought it down to protect their customers, I say Win for Sony. It isn't their fault they were attacked by losers, and if they had to take their network down to prevent a security problem, then I am all for it, and if it is taking them awhile to get it back up because they want to make sure it doesn't happen again, Win again. It isn't like they have had to bring it down entirely and rebuild before, so the lack of an exact time frame is understandable, and they couldn't give us prior notice if the network was taken down for an emergency.

Seriously, no need to freak out. Shit happens.
Not a win for Sony, they aren't saying shit about it and leaving their customers in the dark. When the company that handles e-mail addresses for stores like Best Buy and a bunch of others for reward programs got hacked a month ago, they immediately made it known and said if you are a customer of ours your information may be exposed.

If this was a hacker attack and it's so serious that the network has been down for almost a week and no eta on when it will be back up, then Sony needs to come out and give people some real damn info. When my bank account was compromised my bank didn't just freeze my account and not say anything and leave me in the dark. People have personal information and their credit cards linked to their PSN account and they deserve to be told the truth about what is going on.

This may not be Sony's fault that it happened, but the way they are handling it is a joke.

Retro
04-25-2011, 07:02 PM
pretty darn close to getting a 360.
DO IT!!!

Retro
04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
As if the fact the ongoing PlayStation Network outage entering its sixth day wasn't bad enough news for Sony, now comes word that the company isn't sure if the service's 75 million subscribers have had their personal information compromised.

According to a PC World report, Sony spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka said that the company had "not yet determined" if the confidentiality of PSN users' personal or credit card information had been undermined by the "external intrusion" that brought the network down. As of press time, Sony Computer Entertainment reps had not responded to requests for comment on the matter, and the official PlayStation Blog had not offered any updates on the situation regarding PSN users' information.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310198.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

Retro
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Source: A Reddit report by self-proclaimed PSX-Scene moderator "chesh420."

What we heard: Late Friday, Sony Computer Entertainment America admitted the reason behind the ongoing PlayStation Network outage was an " external intrusion." Now, though, comes a different account, courtesy of chesh420.

The self-styled PSX-Scene moderator says that he suspects the real reason behind the PSN outage isn't some kind of Anonymous-style mass-denial of service attack. Instead, chesh420 claims that Sony has shut down the service because of some custom firmware called Rebug. With a few modifications to a proxy server, the firmware apparently lets users simulate a PS3 debug unit used by Sony's developer network and media outlets such as GameSpot.

According to chesh420, these proxy-server modifications allow savvy hackers to enter fake credit card numbers that Sony won't check on the false assumption that Rebug firmware users are developers or members of the press. This, in turn, allows Rebug users to download PlayStation Store goods for free, undermining the entire PSN economy.

The official story: SCEA reps had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: By chesh420's own account, his suspicions are "all speculation." However, his speculation is "based on previous actions and known facts," making this--at the very least--an intriguing theory.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310200.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B2

devilsadvoc8
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
In their defense, if they don't know if cc #s were compromised then they shouldn't be alarmist. I do expect them however, to have that be their #1 priority with getting the network up #2. Their network isn't a seive as this is the first instance like this so I'll give them a pass on network security. It's not like they were careless and lost a hard drive with all the info on it.

If it comes out that they knew that info was compromised and sat on that conclusion, then I will probably speak with my wallet and never spend another dime on them, ultimately switch over to a 360 but that is like cutting my nose off to spite my face.

Retro
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
From the link provided in the Gamespot article

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Retro
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
In their defense, if they don't know if cc #s were compromised then they shouldn't be alarmist. I do expect them however, to have that be their #1 priority with getting the network up #2. Their network isn't a seive as this is the first instance like this so I'll give them a pass on network security. It's not like they were careless and lost a hard drive with all the info on it.

If it comes out that they knew that info was compromised and sat on that conclusion, then I will probably speak with my wallet and never spend another dime on them, ultimately switch over to a 360 but that is like cutting my nose off to spite my face.
Ever been the victim of identity theft? No such thing as being an alarmist. The fact that they do not know and can't say one way or another means they should take it as the worst case senerio and put out a release advising their customers to keep an eye on their cards.

krisk6
04-25-2011, 08:33 PM
[yt:3cygb7o5]n7tf3orwP0I[/yt:3cygb7o5]

I knew someone would make this sooner or later. BTW this is a great movie. Downfall.
bravo :applause: :cheers: And yet I will never have x box again..... after the 3rd one braking for three differant reasons..... I will never buy another again.... I never had a problem other then this with ps..... that being said i never got a ps or xbox for the online games anyways.... I still remember wen there wasnt online anything..... o no... right...... but not saying that I dont enjoy the online gaming i just think that alot of people make a big deal about what console is better.... but I will tell u this wen it comes to some games that x box only ones... some were worth getting an x box4 but not the best choice wen it came to system failure..... and there are not that may games that are one console only..... and as for online the psn network is down and i can wait ya it may suck... BUT I WILL NEVER PAY FOR ONLINE GAMING BECAUSE I PAY ENOUGH FOR MY OVER PRICED WIRLESS INTERNET ALREADY!!!!! :)) But everyone likes what they like :cheers:

krisk6
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
(-|

Retro
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/54998706.jpg

RC-1136
04-26-2011, 07:05 AM
I don't think I ever gave the PSN my CC# unless I had to to sign up. I always used PSN points. If I did enter a CC# I always use my work CC#.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Being concerned that your credit card info may have been stolen is understandable, but keep in mind that with the exception of rumors, there is no indication any credit card info was stolen. All there is is that quote from someone with Sony saying they have "not yet determined" if it was stolen or not, and considering the person is Japanese, there is a very real potential the language barrier could play a role in that statement ("not yet determined" = "haven't seen any evidence"). Could be way off on that one, but he certainly didn't say it was stolen, and the fact remains that there has been no info about a credit card info theft other than rumors based on zero known facts.

If Sony has more info, should they be more forthcoming? Of course. Does anyone other than Sony actually know if they have more info to share? Nope. People can assume all they want, but no one here works for Sony.

If credit card info was stolen should Sony be telling its customers? Absolutely. Has there been any evidence that info was stolen? Not yet at least. I have a very hard time believing that a company as big as Sony would refuse to let its customers know if their info was stolen. That would be a HUGE liability issue, and would be a sure fire way to loose thousands of their customers.

I wish I knew more about what is going on, and whether those rumors about the other Dev networks being hacked was true or not (seems possible), but the apparent facts are this: the PSN was attacked by hackers, and Sony brought down the PSN to protect their network and potentially their customers information, and rather than put a quick fix out to get the network up and running quickly, they have apparently decided to rebuild their network to keep this from happening again even though they had to know the extended down time would upset impatient people.

If Sony has more info to share, either regarding an estimate of when the PSN will be back up, or if we should be concerned about our credit card info, then yes, they should be sharing that, but at this point it seems any suggestions to that effect are just speculation, and whether people agree with me or not, I am glad Sony took down the PSN in order to fix it and combat the real cause of this problem -- hackers, not Sony.

With all that said, this thread seems to be devolving into negative fanboyism rather than a constructive conversation. If I see any more posts about how "this console is better than that console" or "my network is better than your network" I will not hesitate to lock this thread and create a new one where only admins and mods can post updates, and that goes for people on all three systems.

Try to keep this thread about the outage and informational updates, not a console debate. This is not the time and place for that, and all its going to cause is conflict and anger.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 08:34 AM
More articles about how personal info MAY have been stolen. Still no definite indication, but apparently they are looking into it. Also, these articles say the PSN is down "indefinitely," which is just a fancy way of saying there is no indication when it will come back, not saying it is down forever, and links back to a PS blog post a couple days ago.

From Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/2 ... 53695.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/26/sony-playstation-network-down-ps3_n_853695.html)

From Walstreet Journal: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/25/22402/

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Another article about why credit card info theft is very unlikely due to the security methods used by Sony. Don't know enough about this stuff to comment on how true it is. http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22531 ... still-down (http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22531-playstation-network-still-down)

Also, this site's sources say Sony is taking a long time to bring the PSN back up because they realize this whole situation has been very embarrassing for them, and they want to make sure they take the time to correct the problem to make sure it never happens again. I for one would rather wait a long time and have it work than have it come back up only to get hacked again and be back to square one.

Retro
04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Another article about why credit card info theft is very unlikely due to the security methods used by Sony. Don't know enough about this stuff to comment on how true it is. http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22531 ... still-down (http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/22531-playstation-network-still-down)

10 years of working in anti-fraud with retail and financial company's says that "fudzilla" is wrong. You can google SSL hack or SSL hack tools and find hundreds of ways to get past SSL. It's good security but it's also been beaten as soon as a new version is released.

I just hope people here are taking precaustions if they have a CC attached to their PSN account. Until Sony actually gives a definitive statement, better to side on the err of caution. The chances that CC info was compromised are very slim, but if people want to play russian roulette with their finances then I guess don't worry about it. I've seen too many lives get ruined and always hear after the fact "why didn't I just...".

Psalm
04-26-2011, 09:26 AM

10 years of working in anti-fraud with retail and financial company's says that "fudzilla" is wrong. You can google SSL hack or SSL hack tools and find hundreds of ways to get past SSL. It's good security but it's also been beaten as soon as a new version is released.

I just hope people here are taking precaustions if they have a CC attached to their PSN account. Until Sony actually gives a definitive statement, better to side on the err of caution. The chances that CC info was compromised are very slim, but if people want to play russian roulette with their finances then I guess don't worry about it. I've seen too many lives get ruined and always hear after the fact "why didn't I just...".
Well...what do you suggest we do then?....Put a hold on our cards?

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Good advice to be on the safe side.

I have an old card with a low limit attached to my PSN account, and right now there is all of $15 available on it, so not too worried. Also check it daily anyway, and the way the laws are here in the USA, if you notice a fradulant charge on your account and report it within so many days (forget the deadline) you cannot be held responsible for it, even if you just noticed it but the charge went through a long time ago. However, if you notice something wrong, but wait to report it, you can be responsible for it. The trick is to tell the bank you just noticed it.

Probably not needed. Just check your account are report anything unusal to the bank immediately. You can also do like I believe it was Dinsdale did, and ask you CC company to block foreign or large transactions.

However, it sounds like Retro works in fraud prevention, so he may know better than I.

ustolemygmrtag
04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Just a friendly reminder that console bashing, of fanboyism is not allowed at Team Mp. I am not caling anyone out, or saying that any has crossed the line. Just reminding you guys there is a line. :-B

To the PSN guys. I really hope you get your online back soon. Maybe we need to threaten them with a Saucy taco so they will get servers back up faster.

Retro
04-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Good advice to be on the safe side.

I have an old card with a low limit attached to my PSN account, and right now there is all of $15 available on it, so not too worried. Also check it daily anyway, and the way the laws are here in the USA, if you notice a fradulant charge on your account and report it within so many days (forget the deadline) you cannot be held responsible for it, even if you just noticed it but the charge went through a long time ago. However, if you notice something wrong, but wait to report it, you can be responsible for it. The trick is to tell the bank you just noticed it.

Probably not needed. Just check your account are report anything unusal to the bank immediately. You can also do like I believe it was Dinsdale did, and ask you CC company to block foreign or large transactions.
Staying on top if it is the best way. Doing what Dinsdale did is one the best ways to do it. Personally I only use PSN or XBL cards so I don't have to have a CC attached.

DamianThorn
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Well,this whole thing does suck,what I am glad about however is I only use the PSN cards to do any purchases,otherwise my wife would kick my ass from here to hell if something like that happened with our cards. :))
Hopefully it comes back online soon,but I would rather them get it right,and not half-ass it to appease those kids out there that have no idea what single player games are.

Speaking of which,I have been passing the time with beating God of War 3,about finished Dante's Inferno and for an early Father Day's (REAL early)....my Wife bought me Just Cause 2,and THAT game is pure awesomeness,absolutely love that game.....I have put almost 10 hours into it,and have only completed 7% 8-} ...so much to do and see,as well as coming up with creative ways to kill people :devil: .....and the graphics!! WOW :applause:

I do miss playing Homefront however,Borlax....I still long for the days of seeing your name as I spawn in,and sharpening my blade,as I have BIG plans for you when I find you =))

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Even developers are in the dark about when the PSN will be back online: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/29 ... ljunk-dev/ (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/299370/news/playstation-network-down-time-affects-our-bottom-line-pixeljunk-dev/)

I do miss playing Homefront however,Borlax....I still long for the days of seeing your name as I spawn in,and sharpening my blade,as I have BIG plans for you when I find you =))
:bringiton: ;)

dinsdale1978
04-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Well,this whole thing does suck,what I am glad about however is I only use the PSN cards to do any purchases,otherwise my wife would kick my ass from here to hell if something like that happened with our cards. :))
Hopefully it comes back online soon,but I would rather them get it right,and not half-ass it to appease those kids out there that have no idea what single player games are.

Speaking of which,I have been passing the time with beating God of War 3,about finished Dante's Inferno and for an early Father Day's (REAL early)....my Wife bought me Just Cause 2,and THAT game is pure awesomeness,absolutely love that game.....I have put almost 10 hours into it,and have only completed 7% 8-} ...so much to do and see,as well as coming up with creative ways to kill people :devil: .....and the graphics!! WOW :applause:

I rented Just Cause 2 the other day and had to make myself stop. Those fun sandbox games are really addictive. My favorite moment so far has been parachuting from a heli, onto a bike, and jumping that over a river to grapple to a boat. Like a boss.

Retro
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
my Wife bought me Just Cause 2,and THAT game is pure awesomeness,absolutely love that game

I rented Just Cause 2 the other day and had to make myself stop. Those fun sandbox games are really addictive. My favorite moment so far has been parachuting from a heli, onto a bike, and jumping that over a river to grapple to a boat. Like a boss.
Is it that good? I've always wanted to try it but I end up putting it on hold because of other games. It looks pretty cool.

TrojanTeacher
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
What?!!! The network is down? How long has it been? I am just reading all 11 pages of this right now. I know SP is cool and all, but MP is where it's at. I wish Sony would get their shit together and just tell it's consumers what EXACTLY is happening.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
What?!!! The network is down? How long has it been? I am just reading all 11 pages of this right now. I know SP is cool and all, but MP is where it's at. I wish Sony would get their shit together and just tell it's consumers what EXACTLY is happening.
I has been down since Thursday, so almost a week now.

Sup3rman
04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm really tempted to head over to Costco and get the Xbox kinect bundle..very tempted. However, on the bright side..got a lot of stuff done since I'm not gaming. Wife is loving it!! I'm thinking whoever is behind this..probably a wife. lol

Spike Forehand
04-26-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking whoever is behind this..probably a wife. lol

Hmmmmmm...... perhaps WifeNet has become self-aware?

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 12:17 PM
If the PSN never comes back up, or we are told it is going to be months, then I will sell my PS3 and get a 360. Otherwise, I am willing to wait. Makes no sense for me to spend hundreds of dollars to buy another gaming console and games for it when I hardly have time to play the one I already have and the games I already own.

Actually had the chance to buy a 360 for Christmas, but decided to save the money instead. I am not so addicted to gaming that I have to go out and buy a new system simply because I cannot be patient, and even if I was, with a baby in the house now there is no way I could justify spending that much money that would be better used for baby related expenses.

Spike Forehand
04-26-2011, 12:19 PM
For the credit card stuff, I have my account linked to my Amex card. Twice in the past I have had strange charges pop up. Once when a hotel charged me for a lunch after I had checked out, and a second more serious time when my card number was stolen in Canada and used for over $2000 in purchases. Both times Amex unquestionably removed all charges and I did not ever have to pay a dime or take any other action beyond calling them. I have faith that if my Amex number is used for anything fishy, Amex will do the same for me again so I'm not worried about it. I am sure that Visa and Mastercard have similar policies.

However, I have heard that if you have a debit card that if those numbers are stolen it is possible for someone to gain access to your entire checking account balance and pillage that, and that it's a bit more involved to get those charges overturned by your bank.

Good lesson for all is to make sure that whatever card you use for recurring bills like this, it's always better to use a standard credit card where you can dispute the charges - not a debit card.

That being said, you are a lot more likely to have your card number stolen from a restaurant or retail store than you are from a site like Sony. Restaurantes, especially, scare me cause they take your card away for a few minutes and it only takes like 30 sec to jot down your credit card number and the CCV number.

Spike Forehand
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
If the PSN never comes back up, or we are told it is going to be months, then I will sell my PS3 and get a 360. Otherwise, I am willing to wait.

Probably about where I am. I just bought an ipad2, and that pretty much busted my gaming gear budget for the next 6 months or so. Wife would definitely get a little hinky if I told her I needed to add an xbox just cause I couldn't wait a few weeks to on-line game.

Perhaps now is a good time for me to go back and run through Uncharted 2 SP again. I felt a little like I rushed through the first time, cause when I got it I was just becoming addicted to MW2 and starting to game with you guys. Also still need to get through KZ3 and - believe it or not - RDR SP plus the SP missions in RDR Undead Nightmare.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 12:27 PM
If the PSN never comes back up, or we are told it is going to be months, then I will sell my PS3 and get a 360. Otherwise, I am willing to wait.

Probably about where I am. I just bought an ipad2, and that pretty much busted my gaming gear budget for the next 6 months or so. Wife would definitely get a little hinky if I told her I needed to add an xbox just cause I couldn't wait a few weeks to on-line game.
My wife, rightfully so, would look at me like I lost my fucking mind if I told her "honey, I am going to buy a 360 to play games I already have on the PS3 because I can't wait a couple weeks to play online."

With that said, if I already had a 360, I would be considering trading in the PS3 versions of games I have toward a 360 version.

TrojanTeacher
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
@AMEX Comment: AMEX is one of the best companies when it comes to suspicious activity. Highly recommend that card.

DayliteMag
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
@AMEX Comment: AMEX is one of the best companies when it comes to suspicious activity. Highly recommend that card.

Ditto for Visa. My card has been "compromised" twice in the past few years and on both occasions a simple call to my bank corrected the problem. I had a similar experience with my Debit card (it was cloned), and again, no problem getting the transactions reversed.

I think it is interesting that the conversation/thread has already raised the idea of trading in PS3s for a different console. I realize that no one is seriously thinking about doing so, but it is interesting nonetheless at how quickly the concept was brought up. I wonder how many people out there have actually done just that.

Retro
04-26-2011, 01:45 PM
That being said, you are a lot more likely to have your card number stolen from a restaurant or retail store than you are from a site like Sony. Restaurantes, especially, scare me cause they take your card away for a few minutes and it only takes like 30 sec to jot down your credit card number and the CCV number.
It's funny, the wait staff at restaurants are always thrown for a loop when I break out the credit card and stand up to follow them. I did it at an East Side Marios here last year and the waiter was like WTF? Went to the same one for my daughters birthday dinner last week and they now ask you to come to the pay station with your card.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
It's funny, the wait staff at restaurants are always thrown for a loop when I break out the credit card and stand up to follow them. I did it at an East Side Marios here last year and the waiter was like WTF? Went to the same one for my daughters birthday dinner last week and they now ask you to come to the pay station with your card.
I'm going to start doing this. I always thought it was crazy when I would work at the pizza place and people would call to place an order for delivery and give me their card info on the phone. If I was a scum bag, all I would have needed to do was write it down as they were telling me.

I am also one of those jerks that writes "See ID" on my credit cards instead of signing them, and give the clerks at a store shit if they don't ask to see it.

dinsdale1978
04-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I never sign them and tell them they can look at my id if they need to verify who I am. Of course my wallet screams BMF.
http://www.leathers.ws/thumbnail.aspx?cs=true&box=200&photoname=0408-1.jpg

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I never sign them and tell them they can look at my id if they need to verify who I am. Of course my wallet screams BMF.
http://www.leathers.ws/thumbnail.aspx?cs=true&box=200&photoname=0408-1.jpg
NICE!

My wallet screams "get that fat ass off me!"

dinsdale1978
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
SCEE will shortly send an email out to all PSN users. PSN was subjected to an attack by an external hacker militia and SCEE themselves have taken the PSN down before more damage was done. When we send out email to more than 77,000,000 users, there might be some time before everyone receives it.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: PSN Update: Sony to send email giving users update on PSN status - National Video Game | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-n ... z1KeukUmW0 (http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/psn-update-sony-planning-to-send-psn-users-email-about-psn-status#ixzz1KeukUmW0)

Check yo' mailz.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
SCEE will shortly send an email out to all PSN users. PSN was subjected to an attack by an external hacker militia and SCEE themselves have taken the PSN down before more damage was done. When we send out email to more than 77,000,000 users, there might be some time before everyone receives it.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: PSN Update: Sony to send email giving users update on PSN status - National Video Game | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-n ... z1KeukUmW0 (http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/psn-update-sony-planning-to-send-psn-users-email-about-psn-status#ixzz1KeukUmW0)

Check yo' mailz.
I will be on the look out, but I am sure the language of the email will be on the web within minutes of it being sent out. Still, good idea, as some people don't check the web every hour like I do for updates L-)

RFK48
04-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Bad news guys: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/ (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/)

Spike Forehand
04-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Bad news guys: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/ (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/)

Well, a week is a hell of a lot beter than June.

They are still saying no evidence of credit card info, so that's good. However, the other info is all a little scary - including name/address/birthdate/etc. I am one of those lazy people who use the same or similar passwords for all kinds of things, and I can't even for the life of me remember what my PSN password was, so I am going to go to all the major shopping sites that I have an account/credit card on file with and start changing those passwords just in case my PSN one matches one of those.

This is very bad for Sony, and I undoubtedly will be fielding a call from my wife freaking about this later tonight while I'm at the hockey game (Fyers - Sabres game 7 wooohoo - Go Flyers!!)

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
FUCK.

I don't care about my name and address, as anyone can get that from the phonebook, but I do care about my email, DOB and other info, and the fact that they say they don't think credit card info was stolen, but can't be sure, sucks.

Looks like I may be getting a 360. This is bullshit.

Here is the language of the post:

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These malicious actions have also had an impact on your ability to enjoy the services provided by PlayStation Network and Qriocity including online gaming and online access to music, movies, sports and TV shows. We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week.

We’re working day and night to ensure it is done as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and feedback.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; http://www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; http://www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; http://www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or http://www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or http://www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

SPE825
04-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah, glad I traded multi-player games for 360 versions last week. Of course, now that I did, I'm 100% positive that Xbox Live will get hacked next week!

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Figure I would make a global annoucement about this so it didn't get lost on the PSN problem thread:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/ (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/)

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. We are currently working to send a similar message to the one below via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These malicious actions have also had an impact on your ability to enjoy the services provided by PlayStation Network and Qriocity including online gaming and online access to music, movies, sports and TV shows. We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week.

We’re working day and night to ensure it is done as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and feedback.

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; http://www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; http://www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; http://www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or http://www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or http://www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Not sure if that address is only city, state and zip and not number.

Also, not sure if they are sending this out to everyone on the PSN because everyone's info was stolen, or only certain people.

I will reserve judgment on Sony's role in this until more info comes out, including anything they could have done to avoid this.

Either way -- FUCK HACKERS!!!!!

RFK48
04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah man this shit really sucks! I guess it is a good idea to do what Spike said and change passwords for other shit if it is the same as your PSN pw.

Yo Spike, you lucky bastad you....have fun and make some noise!!! GO FLYERS!!

DayliteMag
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm not particularly inclined to hang Sony on this issue. Hackers have made it passed some of the best secuirty in the world (i.e. Military/Government etc). Sony is just the latest victim - and let's face it - until a customer actually loses something (other than the ability to game on-line) Sony really is the victim here. It's easy to point fingers after the fact and say they could have done this, or they could have done that, but the reality is that Hackers are always finding new ways to get passed IT security. So, I am with you B -- FUCK HACKERS!!!! In the ass...with something sharp....and rusty!

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
So, I am with you B -- FUCK HACKERS!!!! In the ass...with something sharp....and rusty!
They deserve a Space Docking.

I hope no CC info was stolen, and that the rest of the info isn't as bad as it could be. Either way, I am going to be checking my account and credit report frequently.

TrojanTeacher
04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Just in case, I went and removed my CC info from my XBOX. Can't be too safe, or paranoid.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Just in case, I went and removed my CC info from my XBOX. Can't be too safe, or paranoid.
Everyone should do this. I am not sure about the differences in security on PSN and LIVE, but it makes me think that if the hacker could hack the PSN, which I am sure wasn't that easy, they may hack LIVE next.

TrojanTeacher
04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
They're probably tired of hacking into MS stuff, so they decided to try something challenging.

TrojanTeacher
04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like a lot of people will soon start getting Viagara email and Sthuper Sthexy UGG boot emails.

Tracer-M_D_C
04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
While my initial reaction was extreme pissedness ( coining that now ) at Sony...but the bad guys are the hackers.
I'm hoping that the password, CC info was encrypted... but being that they are recommending a change it's not sounding like it.
Doing a fraud alert if for nothing else to have a false sense of security. :-ss

dinsdale1978
04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
This just makes me very pissed off and my first reaction is to blame Sony but I know this has happened to other corporations. Target, Amazon, Apple, etc. There isn't much you can do but keep an eye on your account and get a credit report every few months. May my friends log on soon to greet me and may these hackers develop a limp so that we can spot them down the road.

s.ghost
04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
thank you for the post borlax

Retro
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
They should have released this on Firday at the latest.

04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I thought something like this was going to happen. So, I went ahead and canceled my card that was tied into my account and am just going to get them to send me a different one. Thank you for the post Borlax.

dinsdale1978
04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164194p1.html

Calm down everyone and just be safe.

johnboy
04-26-2011, 06:49 PM
From what I have read, roughly 70 million PSN accounts could be at risk.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I am sure there will be more info coming out, hopefully sooner rather than later.

While there is a chance Sony didn't know the extent of the hack until recently after the investigation, I agree, they could have said there was a chance personal info was stolen. I am still hoping credit card numbers weren't stolen, but just in case I cancelled my card and requested a new one. I will just keep an eye on my credit report, and hope for the best.

In terms of who is at fault, IMO this is only the fault of the hackers and not Sony, unless some info comes out showing Sony was lazy in their security. Until that happens, or if the PSN doesn't come back up or is crap after it does, I am not jumping ship to the 360 over the actions of some pathetic asshole hackers.

Retro
04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I am sure there will be more info coming out, hopefully sooner rather than later.

While there is a chance Sony didn't know the extent of the hack until recently after the investigation, I agree, they could have said there was a chance personal info was stolen. I am still hoping credit card numbers weren't stolen, but just in case I cancelled my card and requested a new one. I will just keep an eye on my credit report, and hope for the best.

In terms of who is at fault, IMO this is only the fault of the hackers and not Sony, unless some info comes out showing Sony was lazy in their security. Until that happens, or if the PSN doesn't come back up or is crap after it does, I am not jumping ship to the 360 over the actions of some pathetic asshole hackers.
I only blame Sony for two things,

1. Not releasing this info sooner as they knew it was serious or they would not have taken down the network.
2. Bragging. They have spent the last few years bragging about how the PS3 is "Unhackable". Why not just send every hacker out there an invite. Not saying they deserved this in anyway, but you don't go and poke the bear when it's leaving you alone.

Psalm
04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
My card expires at the end of this month...I went ahead and activated my new card I received this week....*phew*

Retro
04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
My card expires at the end of this month...I went ahead and activated my new card I received this week....*phew*
It's pretty scary stuff.

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
[UPDATE] Meanwhile, the PSN outage is beginning to draw attention from the highest levels of the US government. In a letter to Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO Jack Tretton, US Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) has called on Sony to offer full disclosure to PSN users if their information was compromised and to offer two years of free access to credit reporting services to check if their credit was adversely affected. "Affected individuals should also be provided with sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft," Blumenthal said.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310386.ht ... Btitle%3B1 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310386.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1)

Psalm
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
It's pretty scary stuff.
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/199568-notwork.jpg

Borlaxx
04-26-2011, 07:28 PM
It's pretty scary stuff.
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/199568-notwork.jpg
LOL!!!! I needed that. =)) =)) =)) =))

sam007
04-26-2011, 09:18 PM
[yt:23yd29m6]aIOunb04GQ0&[/yt:23yd29m6]

:-? could my CC fraud be linked to this cause I did use that CC to purchase stuff on PSN.

Lumchan
04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
So glad they don't collect Social Security Numbers and I didn't put in my birth date. ;) Now the CC info was Kevin's though... :sigh:

eraseNsd
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
My wife's CC did not work on PSN so I'm not worried about that. Figured if it did not go through than it should not be stored on their system for the hackers to get a hold of. Hope I'm not wrong about that. I never used my card and decided to just buy a PSN gift card instead. It was 50 bucks and I only bought the map pack with it. I should check to see if the card was emptied by these douche bags. If it can be accessed. Don't know.

sam007 ... When did the CC fraud happen to you? It could quit be possibly tied to this hacking of the PSN. The system was seriously hacked in between April 17th through the 19th. Definitely let your CC company know(if they don't already) and do your own investigation as well.

Not all hackers are bad, but these hackers need to be punished to the full extent. I would love to smash their face in for doing this. Fuck these hackers!

Major Stains
04-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Just wanted to say that I am really sorry to read all the shit that has gone down over here.

I just read another article (I won't post it as there is so much out there) warning about future scams as they may have got more than just your personal details.
Not to point out the obvious, but be very wary of all future correspondence, email, phone, these fuckers will try anything.
They can do a lot with the simple info we all give, they may access any linked accounts etc and try your password there (change password advised)
Add CC details to that and its a real shitstorm.

Hope all is up and running soon and everybody's data is fine.

RC-1136
04-27-2011, 07:09 AM
I think I might puke. This is disgusting.

04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
I agree RC. What a loser. Maybe his testicles will fall off.

RC-1136
04-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I don't think I put my Credit Card info in, but since I can't check my account I'm screwed. I can get an extra $50 if I trade in my PS3 at game stop. If my wife wouldn't shoot I would consider trading it in for an XBOX.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 07:39 AM
I don't think I put my Credit Card info in, but since I can't check my account I'm screwed. I can get an extra $50 if I trade in my PS3 at game stop. If my wife wouldn't shoot I would consider trading it in for an XBOX.
To each their own, but unless you were already considering doing this before the hack, probably a bit of an overreaction IMO. I too was pissed at Sony at first, but the more I think about it, the more I realize they are the victim as much as we are, not the villain.

It isn't Sony's fault that some cock sucking d-bag hacker attacked them, and the same could happen to Microsoft or Nintendo if the hacker was good enough go hack the PSN, and I bet both those companies are reevaluating their security right now. Hell, same could happen to just about any company. Banks and the government have been hacked before. It can happen to anyone, and at least Sony seems to be taking every measure to correct the problem and limit the damage. Perhaps they could of given us the heads up sooner, but at least they seem to be doing whatever they can.

Like I said in another post, unless some info comes out that shows Sony was lazy with its security which enabled the hacker to get our info, I am not going to blame them for this BS and I am not going to be reactionary and trade in my PS3 just so I can get another system and have the potential of that one being hacked, too.

If people are truly afraid of this happening again, the only thing you can do to make sure it doesn't happen is don't play online on ANY system, and I doubt many here are going to do that.

devilsadvoc8
04-27-2011, 08:15 AM
I am not ready to boot the PS3 yet. Am I angry, yes, but my anger is at the asshole(s) who did this not so much at Sony. I will have to do a scrub of online passwords which will suck and I will alert my VISA issuer. I'll wait and see before tossing the PS3 away. Other than this, it has been a good experience and has been worth the investment.

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 08:25 AM

I thought I read a story yesterday that Microsoft started unbanning Xbox accounts so as not to incur the wrath of hackers on their network. Frankly, the PS3 will be back and the same as before. As an expert said in another report, your CC is just as vulnerable at Amazon, Walmart, or your local restaurant; so let's see what happens. If anything this just gives us a reminder to be vigilant about our financial identities.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I thought I read a story yesterday that Microsoft started unbanning Xbox accounts so as not to incur the wrath of hackers on their network.
I have to believe that is BS. If this is true, that is pretty damn lame. From what I have read, people who have been banned from Live were banned for hacking and cheating, so if they remove the ban on these people, Live is going to be flooded by hacking and cheating bastards who had previously be banned, with new people doing it having been emboldened by Microsoft's cowardice in the face of a potential hacker attack.

In short, if Microsoft does this, cheaters and hackers win, and say good by to fair games. I really hope Sony doesn't lose their balls, too.

RC-1136
04-27-2011, 08:36 AM
To each their own, but unless you were already considering doing this before the hack, probably a bit of an overreaction IMO. I too was pissed at Sony at first, but the more I think about it, the more I realize they are the victim as much as we are, not the villain.

It isn't Sony's fault that some cock sucking d-bag hacker attacked them, and the same could happen to Microsoft or Nintendo if the hacker was good enough go hack the PSN, and I bet both those companies are reevaluating their security right now. Hell, same could happen to just about any company. Banks and the government have been hacked before. It can happen to anyone, and at least Sony seems to be taking every measure to correct the problem and limit the damage. Perhaps they could of given us the heads up sooner, but at least they seem to be doing whatever they can.

Like I said in another post, unless some info comes out that shows Sony was lazy with its security which enabled the hacker to get our info, I am not going to blame them for this BS and I am not going to be reactionary and trade in my PS3 just so I can get another system and have the potential of that one being hacked, too.

If people are truly afraid of this happening again, the only thing you can do to make sure it doesn't happen is don't play online on ANY system, and I doubt many here are going to do that.

You're right, B. I am having a terrible week. Pretty much a horribl April. I spent 3 hours in the ER with my 3 y/o to find out he had an Ear Infection. His primary Pediatrician completely over reacted to a swollen ankle and a fever. She told my wife to go to the ER and be prepared to have him admitted and stay over night because she thought he had a joint infection or something. It completely freaked my wife out and set my world spinning for a little while. Stupid Dr. missed the ear infection in the office. The ER dr. looked at us like we were stupid. I love my PS3 and I would never get rid of it. I guess not being able to play on-line for a couple of weeks is better then the potential Red Ring of Death. I have been playing a lot SP, but I miss the interaction with you guys on line. Gaming is an escape from reality for me and boy do I ever need an escape right now.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
You're right, B. I am having a terrible week. Pretty much a horribl April. I spent 3 hours in the ER with my 3 y/o to find out he had an Ear Infection. His primary Pediatrician completely over reacted to a swollen ankle and a fever. She told my wife to go to the ER and be prepared to have him admitted and stay over night because she thought he had a joint infection or something. It completely freaked my wife out and set my world spinning for a little while. Stupid Dr. missed the ear infection in the office. The ER dr. looked at us like we were stupid. I love my PS3 and I would never get rid of it. I guess not being able to play on-line for a couple of weeks is better then the potential Red Ring of Death. I have been playing a lot SP, but I miss the interaction with you guys on line. Gaming is an escape from reality for me and boy do I ever need an escape right now.
So sorry to hear about that BS. I too have been having a hell of a couple weeks, and would love to get online for some stress relief. I just keep trying to remind myself that if my biggest problem is not being able to play online and having to watch my credit, I actually have it pretty damn good. This was driven home by the fact that there are people who just lost their lives or their homes to the storms that rolling across the US right now. In light of that, I feel rather foolish getting pissed off over anything gaming related.

Retro
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
I thought I read a story yesterday that Microsoft started unbanning Xbox accounts so as not to incur the wrath of hackers on their network.
I have to believe that is BS. If this is true, that is pretty damn lame. From what I have read, people who have been banned from Live were banned for hacking and cheating, so if they remove the ban on these people, Live is going to be flooded by hacking and cheating bastards who had previously be banned, with new people doing it having been emboldened by Microsoft's cowardice in the face of a potential hacker attack.

In short, if Microsoft does this, cheaters and hackers win, and say good by to fair games. I really hope Sony doesn't lose their balls, too.
Complete crap banned accounts are not being reopened. Some banned accounts are only for a certain time period depending on what the person did.

RC-1136
04-27-2011, 08:54 AM
So sorry to hear about that BS. I too have been having a hell of a couple weeks, and would love to get online for some stress relief. I just keep trying to remind myself that if my biggest problem is not being able to play online and having to watch my credit, I actually have it pretty damn good. This was driven home by the fact that there are people who just lost their lives or their homes to the storms that rolling across the US right now. In light of that, I feel rather foolish getting pissed off over anything gaming related.

I know what you mean. The PSN is the least of my troubles right now, but none of my real problems is as bad as losing my home or having something happening to my family even though we did have a scare.

Spike Forehand
04-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Or cancel all your credit cards, give all your money way, and go to live with monks somewhere, which is what I plan on doing.

DayliteMag
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Or cancel all your credit cards, give all your money way, and go to live with monks somewhere, which is what I plan on doing.

Hmm, a community of gaming Monks. I like it! Count me in!

04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Monks don't have cookies as good as ours though.

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Monks don't have cookies as good as ours though.

They do have Grappa. I actually got to see where St. Benedict founded his monastery. Even got to see the "handprints" in the stone. Cassino, Italy.

Psalm
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
At least we will all have plenty of Sexy Ugg boots shipped to our doors....Ugg boots and Mankini's FTW!!!!

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
http://www.psu.com/news/11465?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LatestNews-Psucom+%28Latest+News+-+PSU.com%29&utm_content=Twitter

Following the security alert issued by Sony regarding the hacking of the PlayStation Network, Visa has issued a statement to reassure its account holders.

The PSN has now been offline for seven days, and Sony has warned users that credit card details may have been taken.

The statement, issued to MCV, confirms that any card holder who is subject to fraud will get their money back, "subject to terms and conditions."

“Concerned cardholders should keep a close eye on their accounts and report any unusual or unexpected activity to their issuing bank," reads part of the statement.

If you are worried about fradulent activity on your PSN account, check out our guide on how to spot the signs and what to do if hackers do use your information.

I also got a phone call about consolidating my credit card debt this morning. I have already changed my CC account numbers with Capital One and am on the no call list, so I made sure to get a human and informed them about my concern about being part of a scam. I got their info and demanded to be off their list. I keep a spreadsheet for stuff like this just to be safe.

devilsadvoc8
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
As soon as I can get in to PSN (whenever that is) i'll remove the CC# and go with the prepaids. I started changing a few online passwords this morning. I don't remember what my PSN p-word was but I'll just do it anyway.

As for the sharp and rusty implement, lets make sure it is very large.

TonkaToys
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I spoke with a chap from Amex this morning (my PSN CC) and he said they hadn't been officially advised of any action yet, but that he had cancelled his own CC that was linked to his PSN (handy I got a fellow gamer on the line).

He did say that, because the credit cards were pre-authorised by Sony it would still be possible to be charged on a cancelled credit card but only if the transaction came from Sony themselves.

However Amex offers full protection from online scams, so he said not to worry about it and just to report anything dodgy looking. :-?
Looks like [s:33cnt8st]I'll be getting the Black OPs DLC after all[/s:33cnt8st] those damn hackers have used my account to download the Black OPs DLC!

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Looks like [s:n0qevfzk]I'll be getting the Black OPs DLC after all[/s:n0qevfzk] those damn hackers have used my account to download the Black OPs DLC!
Shit. So they did get CC info. Not good.

TonkaToys
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Looks like [s:5snpjf50]I'll be getting the Black OPs DLC after all[/s:5snpjf50] those damn hackers have used my account to download the Black OPs DLC!
****. So they did get CC info. Not good.

JOKE ALERT!!!!

They didn't download anything using my credit card! (see strike out)

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Looks like [s:jylcrgon]I'll be getting the Black OPs DLC after all[/s:jylcrgon] those damn hackers have used my account to download the Black OPs DLC!

JOKE ALERT!!!!

#:-s

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I just read a rumor from "a Sony Employee" is that part of the rebuild might actually have cross game chat. Frankly, they are going to have to offer something more to their PSN in order to entice users back.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Just saw this: http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/04/ ... o-hacking/ (http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/04/27/psn-hacked-play-station-network-down-due-to-hacking/)

Sony defended the fact that they waited a week to inform users by saying that although they identified an intrusion, it took forensice analysts until Monday to learn that their consumers’ data was compromised.

Retro
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Just saw this: http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/04/ ... o-hacking/ (http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/04/27/psn-hacked-play-station-network-down-due-to-hacking/)

Sony defended the fact that they waited a week to inform users by saying that although they identified an intrusion, it took forensice analysts until Monday to learn that their consumers’ data was compromised.
That's a weak and lame excuse. They could have at the very least released something saying "it may have been comprimised".

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
A class action lawsuit was filed against Sony a day after the company publicly admitted that personal information from PlayStation Network was compromised by security breach. The lawsuit was filed by the Rothken Law Firm today in a California court and alleges Sony "failed to take reasonable care to protect, encrypt, and secure the private and sensitive data."

Yesterday, Sony said it believes an unauthorized person obtained PSN user information, including members' names, addresses, birthdays, and login passwords. The company said there was no evidence that credit card information was stolen, but did not rule out that possibility.

"We brought this lawsuit on behalf of consumers to learn the full extent of Sony PlayStation Network data security practices and the data loss and to seek a remedy for consumers. We are hopeful that Sony will take this opportunity to learn from the network vulnerabilities, provide a remedy to consumers who entrusted their sensitive data to Sony, and lead the way in data security best practices going forward," said Ira P. Rothken an attorney who filed the class action complaint.

"Sony's breach of its customers' trust is staggering. Sony promised its customers that their information would be kept private. One would think that a large multinational corporation like Sony has strong protective measures in place to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of personal information, including credit card information. Apparently, Sony doesn't," commented J.R. Parker, co-counsel in the case.

The lawsuit seeks monetary compensation for the data loss and "loss of use of the Sony PlayStation Network, credit monitoring, and other relief according to proof."

IGN has contacted Sony for comment.

Frankly I am torn on this. Yes I think it was handled poorly and if they neglected something for profit I would like to see them pay out but a suit this big might negatively impact their development and maintenance as it is.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
More than anything, this firm sounds like they just want the publicity more than anything else. I will wait to see how long is takes the hackers to hack this law firms servers.

Bongtoker A2
04-27-2011, 01:38 PM
A few months back I was sitting around the house with the family on a Friday night, the Grandparents were over visiting the kids. The door bell rings It's the FBI, yes the real fucking FBI, "Mr. Bongtoker could we speak with you" :-ss To make a long story short, somebody hacked into a old Hot mail account that I had and did not ever close because, when I tried I had Micorsoft points tied to my account and it would not let me close it. In the end all they told me was somebody hacked into my Hotmail account and sent out hunderds of Phishing emails,they had my computer for 5 days. The account is close now!

Retro
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
TOKYO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sony Corp warned that hackers had stolen names, addresses and possibly credit card details from the 77 million user accounts of its video game online network, in one of the largest Internet security break-ins ever.

The Japanese electronic giant pulled the plug on the network on April 19 after finding out about the breach in its popular PlayStation Network, a service that produces an estimated $500 million in annual revenues.

Sony did not tell the public about the stolen data until Tuesday, hours after it had unveiled in Japan its first tablet computers.

Sony's delay in announcing the theft sparked an online furor from users, almost 90 percent of whom are based in Europe or the United States, and could push some users to rival Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's XBox gaming devices.

"If you have compromised my credit information, you will never receive it again," read one message on the PlayStation Network blog from a user under the name Korbei83.

"The fact that you've waited this long to divulge this information to your customers is deplorable. Shame on you."

In a message posted on its U.S. PlayStation blog, Sony said an "illegal and unauthorized person" obtained names, addresses, email addresses, birth dates, user names, passwords, logins, security questions and more.

A Sony spokesman said that after learning of the breach it took "several days of forensic investigation" before the company knew consumers' data had been compromised.

Sony's executives made no mention of the network crisis at the tablet launch in Tokyo, when the glossy devices were unveiled, nor at a later briefing with journalists.

The tablets, which come in two sizes, will be the first to enable the use of PlayStation games and mark Sony's ambitious drive to compete with Apple's year-old iPad.

Sony is the latest Japanese company to come under fire for not disclosing bad news quickly.

Tokyo Electric Power Co was criticized for how it handled the nuclear crisis after the March 11 earthquake. Last year, Toyota Motor Corp was slammed for being less than forthright about problems over a massive vehicle recall.

U.S. Democratic senator Richard Blumenthal sent a letter to Sony asking it to explain why it didn't notify PlayStation owners sooner. Sony has also reported the breach to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the New York Times reported.

The shutdown of the PlayStation Network prevented owners of Sony's video game console from buying and downloading games, as well as playing with rivals over the Internet.

Sony said it could restore some of the network's services within a week and issued a set of Frequently Asked Questions on its website to deal with queries about the network.

Alan Paller, research director of the SANS Institute, said the breach may be the largest theft of identity data information on record.

The online network was launched in the autumn of 2006 and offers games, music and movies to people with PlayStation consoles. It had 77 million registered users as of March 20, a Sony spokesman said.

Sony shares fell 2.0 percent in Tokyo in a broader market up 1.4 percent.

MAJOR SETBACK

The breach is a major setback for the electronics giant. Although video game hardware and software sales have declined globally, the PlayStation franchise is a substantial profit source and remains a flagship product for Sony.

It will be a blow for Kazuo Hirai, who was appointed to the company's No. 2 position last month after building up Sony's networked services.

The crisis could also overshadow Sony's plans to launch a new hand-held games device, the Next Generation Portable, by the end of the year.

"It's a red flag to a lot of people as to how Sony conducts its business," said Sue Cato, head of corporate communications advisers Cato Counsel in Sydney.

"This will have regulators concerned about security, it will have consumer organisations concerned, it will have some gamers concerned."

How fast Sony can bounce back depends on a number of factors, said Ricardo Torres, editor-in-chief of Gamespot.com.

"It depends how soon the network comes up, but more importantly how Sony deals with their user base," Torres said. "Some kind of compensation has to be provided. 'Sorry' doesn't cut it for a lot of consumers at this point."

"The big question that will come up is what they're doing for security," he added.

Sony said children with accounts established by their parents might have had their data exposed.

It said it saw no evidence credit card numbers were stolen, but warned users it could not rule out the possibility.

"Out of an abundance of caution, we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," Sony said.

Analysts said that while Sony has notified customers of the breach, it had still not provided information on how user data might have been compromised.

"This is a huge data breach," said Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, who estimated Sony generates $500 million in annual revenue from the service. "The bigger issue with Sony is how will the hacker use the info that has been illegally obtained?"

Sony has hired an "outside recognized security firm" to investigate. It said user account information for the PlayStation Network and its Qriocity service users was compromised between April 17 and April 19.

The Japanese firm declined to comment on whether it was working with law enforcement officials.

SECURITY RISK

Paller said Sony probably did not pay enough attention to security when it was developing the software that runs its network. In the rush to get out innovative new products, security can sometimes take a back seat, Paller added.

"They have to innovate rapidly. That's the business model," Paller said. "New software has errors in it. So they expose code with errors in it to large numbers of people, which is a catastrophe in the making."

He suspected the hackers entered the network by taking over the PC of a system administrator, who had rights to access sensitive information about Sony's customers. They likely did that by sending the administrator an email message that contained a piece of malicious software that got downloaded onto his or her PC.

Hackers have stolen personal data in the past from large companies. In 2009, Albert Gonzalez pleaded guilty to stealing tens of millions of payment card numbers by breaking into corporate computer systems at companies such as 7-Eleven Inc and Target Co. of the United States.

Sony said its users could place fraud alerts on their credit card accounts through three U.S. credit card bureaus, which it recommended in its statement.

The company has struggled for years to control the activities of the hackers who make up a portion of PlayStation's fanbase.

Earlier this month, games fan website PlayStation Lifestyle said a group calling itself Anonymous had conducted attacks on Sony websites and online services, motivated by revenge for the company's attempts to clamp down on hacking.

(Additional reporting by Victoria Thieberger in Sydney, Tim Kelly in Tokyo and Jim Finkle in Boston; Editing by Lincoln Feast, Anshuman Daga and Dean Yates)

RC-1136
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I would settle with Sony for a free copy of the Escalation Map Pack.

TrojanTeacher
04-27-2011, 02:21 PM
To quote Homer Simpson, "D'OH!"

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
The news of a major security breach where consumer’s credit card and personal information have been put at risk, spells some seriously bad news for PSN users. Worse yet, is what this means for Sony, which has an uphill battle to face in regaining consumer trust and proving to developer and publishing partners that the PSN can still remain a profitable venture.

In fact, according to data-security research firm, The Ponemon Institute, the estimated cost per record breach involving a malicious act averaged at $318. With 77 million registered PlayStation Network accounts possibly affected, this brings the total cost to the tune of $24 billion. Not to mention the long-term affects this may have on relationships with consumers and partners, or the marketing that’s going to be needed to rebuild the PlayStation image.

Josh Shaul, Chief Technology Officer for Application Security Inc., calls the fiasco “one of the worst breaches we’ve seen in several years”. With such a massive breach, there really is no telling the true financial impact this will have on Sony and the PlayStation brand.

Sony Corporation’s (NYSE: SNE) stocks have plummeted 3.89% since Sony publicly announced details of the security breach.

That about covers a new Xbox 360... :devil:

RFK48
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
And the fall out begins, here's another suit: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20057921-260.html

Retro
04-27-2011, 02:28 PM
More than anything, this firm sounds like they just want the publicity more than anything else. I will wait to see how long is takes the hackers to hack this law firms servers.
I would seriously hope that a company the size of Sony, who specializes in electronics has a far superior and secure network than some small law firm. Sad thing is, obviously Sony does not.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I would seriously hope that a company the size of Sony, who specializes in electronics has a far superior and secure network than some small law firm. Sad thing is, obviously Sony does not.
I don't think that is obvious. We don't know how easy it was for the hacker, and if there is anything more they could have done to stop it. I was just commenting on how this law firm seemed so quick to say Sony had crap security when they don't even know that for sure, when their firms servers could probably be hacked much easier. Sure, Sony had millions of users, but law firm servers contain a hell of a lot more sensitive info than Sony had. If someone hacks into a law firms servers, they can get lots of confidential information.

Regardless, if this self-serving lawsuit does bring Sony's security procedures to light, it could be good in terms of letting us know how it happened, or bad in terms of hackers reading about it and figuring out how to defeat it again.

Retro
04-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't think that is obvious. We don't know how easy it was for the hacker, and if there is anything more they could have done to stop it. I was just commenting on how this law firm seemed so quick to say Sony had crap security when they don't even know that for sure, when their firms servers could probably be hacked much easier. Sure, Sony had millions of users, but law firm servers contain a hell of a lot more sensitive info than Sony had. If someone hacks into a law firms servers, they can get lots of confidential information.

Regardless, if this self-serving lawsuit does bring Sony's security procedures to light, it could be good in terms of letting us know how it happened, or bad in terms of hackers reading about it and figuring out how to defeat it again.
But I've never seen a law firm go out and publicly say that they are unhackable. And while other comapany's and governments have been the victims of hackers, I have never seen anything on the same scale as this.

The other side is and it's something I have always questioned (not just about Sony) why do they need so much personal info? Especially on a "free" network? If anything comes out of any law suit I hope it would be to shed light on what security measures Sony had in place and is there really a need for Sony and other companys to request so much personal data from their customers.

Trez
04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure this has been brought up in the other topics on the subject. Apparently Sony had to bring in a third party security team to investigate just how widespread this malicious attack was. Personally I think this sounds about as trivial and frivolous as suing McDonalds because your obese.

Retro
04-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure this has been brought up in the other topics on the subject. Apparently Sony had to bring in a third party security team to investigate just how widespread this malicious attack was. Personally I think this sounds about as trivial and frivolous as suing McDonalds because your obese.
I don't get the McDonalds reference, I don't think it fits.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
The hamburgler was the hacker

Retro
04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
The hamburgler was the hacker
I hate that masked son of a bitch!

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 03:11 PM

We don't know what level of forensics team they hired. Online security isn't always something that software and network engineers are completely ready to perform investigations. I know alot of people from the Software Engineering Institute here in PIttsburgh and some of the stuff they do is something right out of a sci-fi movie.

A better analogy would be suing a strip club for someone taking pictures of you getting a lap dance and the photos getting to your wife. Not that I know what that is like. #:-s

Retro
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
A better analogy would be suing a strip club for someone taking pictures of you getting a lap dance and the photos getting to your wife. Not that I know what that is like. #:-s
Because she hasn't been given the photo's yet??? :-"

sam007
04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks like [s:2h4aywlo]I'll be getting the Black OPs DLC after all[/s:2h4aywlo] those damn hackers have used my account to download the Black OPs DLC!

JOKE ALERT!!!!

Its like letting one rip at a funeral when its dead silent. =)) =)) =))

sam007
04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Sony's not the only one getting hacked these days.

http://sync.sympatico.ca/news/hackers_target_ontario_court_computers/8212e819

Hackers target Ontario court computers

sam007
04-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Is this enough for PS3 users to jump ship to the other platforms???

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Nope, especially since there is no guarantee it couldn't happen to 360 users, too.

I will only jump ship if the PSN doesn't come back up, or if evidence shows this security breach was caused by Sony's negligence, which so far doesn't seem to be the case. I would venture to bet that after this crap, the PSN will be the most secure online network out there. It will have to be for people to continue using it.

johnboy
04-27-2011, 04:05 PM

It means you should all come to play on the Wii! ;)

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM

It means you should all come to play on the Wii! ;)

I haven't bought a Wii game in like 2 years. Plus I was using it to level the kitchen table. Kidding. :))

Beano
04-27-2011, 05:02 PM

nope not at all. uncharted 3, infamous 2, killzone, I can't give those up. Besides how else was ever going to get around to all those shows I had Dvr'd for months now ;)

sam007
04-27-2011, 05:13 PM
now, now Beano, you're not telling the whole world you have copied content are you???

I can't risk a Wii controller flying out of my hand cause the safety strap broke and it goes flying into the TV, once my kid is more active, I'm putting up some sort of barrier between her and the glass screen. :D

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310436.ht ... Btitle%3B5 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310436.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B5)

This could be the end of Sony, or at least the PS3.

At the very least, it will probably mean the end of free PSN access some point soon, although I doubt many people would pay for it at this point considering this fiasco.

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah this is going to hurt if those amounts hold true in the lawsuit.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
It is just sad that some asshole hacker could potentially bring an end to the PS3 and cost thousands of people their jobs. Also, taking Sony out of the gaming scene wouldn't benefit the gaming community at all, just Microsoft's and Nintendo's profits. Compitition breeds innovation.

sam007
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Add PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com to your address book

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a
full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly
and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province,
zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation
Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN
online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip
or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent,
the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained.
While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time,
we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card
data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution
we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and
expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification
or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you
are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the
entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are
fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your
password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity
user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we
strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss,
we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements
and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of
this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working
around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as
possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will
continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to
protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and
secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority.
Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

I take it others have recieved this email as well.

Retro
04-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Don't forget the math is wrong as there are not 77 million users, there are 77 million accounts. Many people have multiple accounts.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Don't forget the math is wrong as there are not 77 million users, there are 77 million accounts. Many people have multiple accounts.
Good point, but could still be several billion.

Trez
04-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Holy shit! The PSN fiasco made the NBC Nightly News.

Borlaxx
04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Of course it did. It is one of the biggest security breach/hacker attacks in history.

dinsdale1978
04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
now, now Beano, you're not telling the whole world you have copied content are you???

I can't risk a Wii controller flying out of my hand cause the safety strap broke and it goes flying into the TV, once my kid is more active, I'm putting up some sort of barrier between her and the glass screen. :D

The Move has a nice rubber ball on the end. hehe

Raider
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
It is just sad that some asshole hacker could potentially bring an end to the PS3 and cost thousands of people their jobs. Also, taking Sony out of the gaming scene wouldn't benefit the gaming community at all, just Microsoft's and Nintendo's profits. Compitition breeds innovation.

On the other side of the coin. The biggest lesson can be learned by your competitors mistake. It's sad that any business that is operating well be sabotage by such trash and crookedness. Hopefully this is a wake up call to the competitors.

Retro
04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Good point, but could still be several billion.
It could but then Sony could argue that alot of those accounts went against their TOS agreement because they used false info. Alot of people put in false names, locations and use gmail accounts.

Sony will fight this tooth and nail. I would say they could extend a lot of goodwill by crediting existing PSN+ members for the rest of their subscription plus another year free and give everyone else 6 months to a year free.

Or (and I know it may sound expensive and far fetched but they are in major shit here) give everyone with an existing ligit account and email address a rebate for a free copy of Uncharted 3.

Trez
04-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Of course it did. It is one of the biggest security breach/hacker attacks in history.
With tornados, Middle East crisis, the Royal Wedding and the legitimacy of our president being president...you said it too, there's a lot of more important shit going on in this world. It's definitely a big deal, but still surprised it was covered on the national news.

Then again they did run the THQ public relations flub during GDC. :D

CELockwood
04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310436.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B5

This could be the end of Sony, or at least the PS3.

At the very least, it will probably mean the end of free PSN access some point soon, although I doubt many people would pay for it at this point considering this fiasco.

Those dollar estimates are likely way overblown. They include the cost to Sony of fixing the problem, which was calculated on a per user basis from a survey. It will likely be much less for Sony because they have one problem/system to fix and 77 million users.

I don't think this will hurt Sony in the long run. Yes, people are going to pissed over losing PSN access for a while, but Sony will fix the problem and the system will be back up. I doubt they'll try to charge right away for just the reason you gave. Sure, folks will be nervous about providing CC info, but with time that will fade. People have short memories, especially when it involves something they want to use. RIght now, we still have no confirmation that I've seen that any CC data was even taken. For that matter, the average user really has no way to form an intelligent opinion on which network is safer after the Sony breach when one assumes they will have beefed up security.

My $0.02, from a guy that didn't get his data stolen. ;)

devilsadvoc8
04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Any law firm can launch a lawsuit and claim lots of big numbers. The real loss will have to be proven not because some initial complaint alleges a completely unsubstantiated number. The people with real losses might be compensated in a real amount if and only if it is proven that Sony was negligent. This lawsuit is about discovery of the facts. Sony's lawyers will delay discovery for months. My guess is the lawfirm gets a couple million bucks and the class members get something like $4 bucks each.

CB-40
04-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking this filing is serving as a placeholder until more details are uncovered. That and they are publicity and money hungry sob's hoping to thrive off of the litigious society we seem to live in. I'm no dummy but I'm also not ready to just assume Sony was negligent and uncaring about their customers. They have a lot riding on keeping users happy with their products/services so what would they possibly gain by intentionally putting all this info at risk? Having seen what kind of people some (not all) hackers can be, and their usually selfish and reckless motivation for doing what they do, I'm pissed at the assholes that took Sony down more-so than Sony. Now should it come to light that I'm a naive doofus for giving Sony the benefit of the doubt, I'll own that. But until then, suing them primarily because they have money is irresponsible. It may gain some people some money in the beginning, but we will all be paying for it in the end (and I mean in-the-end) when psn is no longer free and other services offered through Sony cost more and more. Whew, guess that's all I have to say about that....for now!

CB-40
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
At least we will all have plenty of Sexy Ugg boots shipped to our doors....Ugg boots and Mankini's FTW!!!!
:party: :x

Beano
04-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Sony will be fine. That is all

SlapLaB
04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, this estimate is way too pessimistic...

We don't even know for sure that credit cards have been stolen, and even if they have it's not the end of the world.
It will hurt Sony for a while but they will recover... see the oil spill and BP (a disaster on a completely different scale)... their share price is back to 2009 level and people still buy petrol at their pumps.

Retro
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM

We don't even know for sure that credit cards have been stolen, and even if they have it's not the end of the world.
It will hurt Sony for a while but they will recover... see the oil spill and BP (a disaster on a completely different scale)... their share price is back to 2009 level and people still buy petrol at their pumps.
Names, address, birthdate, email, password and security questions. Don't need your credit card. Where Sony really screwed up was they did not encrypt stored passwords, they kept them stored in text form and that is a big mistake.

Borlaxx
04-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Names, address, birthdate, email, password and security questions. Don't need your credit card. Where Sony really screwed up was they did not encrypt stored passwords, they kept them stored in text form and that is a big mistake.
See, I don't ever remember supplying security questions and answers. Also, my PSN password is different from all my other passwords, and the email address I gave them I only use for the PSN, so not too worried about that being spammed as I hardly ever check it and don't use it as my primary email address.

Retro
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM

See, I don't ever remember supplying security questions and answers. Also, my PSN password is different from all my other passwords, and the email address I gave them I only use for the PSN, so not too worried about that being spammed as I hardly ever check it and don't use it as my primary email address.
But that's just you. Think of all the moms and dads who bought a PS3 for their kids 3,4 or 5 years ago and have forgotten they gave out this info.

Retro
04-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Steps to create a PSN account:

Account sign-up
1.To begin, go to the “Playstation Network” menu and choose Sign up for Playstation Network
2.Now the account creation begins. Since this is our first time signing up, choose Create a new account
3.This screen explains what information you will need to provide during the process. Choose Continue
4.Select your country, language and date of birth
?Date of birth determines what account type will be created. If you are 18+, you will get a Master Account. Otherwise you will get a Sub-account. Learn more about accounts.
?See also: countries supported by PSN)
5.The terms of service and user agreement / privacy policy will now be shown. Choose Accept
6.Enter sign-in information: a valid email address (sign-in ID), password, and security question.
?Sign-in ID help screen
?Password help screen
7.Enter your desired Online ID
?The online ID will be your publicly viewable username.
?It is not possible to change your online ID once your account is created.
?If you continually get the message “The online ID you entered cannot be used” then it may already be in use. Also, there are keywords that are not allowed – for example having “PS3? anywhere in the online ID. For more help, see common problems.
8.Enter your full name. Choose your gender if you wish (optional)
9.Enter your street address (residential address). Country/region is pre-filled by your selection earlier
10.Notification preferences. Tick any of the boxes if you’d like to receive marketing from Sony and/or affiliates
11.Review the details you’ve entered, then select Confirm
12.Account has been created!
13.You may be asked to answer a questionare/survey. Choose Yes or No
14.Choose an avatar (picture) for your account if you wish. It is easy to change it later at any time.
15.Welcome to Playstation Network. You can Proceed to Playstation Store if you want. This will prompt you to Sign In. Exit the Store to return to the XMB menu.
16.Now that you have signed up, the Friends menu will have new options like Message Box. You will also be shown here!

dinsdale1978
04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/27/ps3-to-receive-new-firmware-update-will-force-you-to-change-passwords/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Update is rumored to be scheduled for next Wednesday. I also read a report that said the credit card data was taken in an encrypted format and probably still quite safe.

DayliteMag
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Well, I got my "official" notice from PSN. I have to say that this experience has taught me a couple of things. I never really gave much thought to the security issue around using the same pword for multiple, online activities. I won't be doing that any longer and w/r/t to my onling banking I will start changing the pword on a regular basis.

PlayStation(R)Network

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a
full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly
and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province,
zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation
Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN
online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip
or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent,
the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained.
While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time,
we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card
data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution
we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and
expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification
or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you
are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the
entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are
fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your
password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity
user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we
strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss,
we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements
and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of
this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working
around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as
possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will
continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to
protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and
secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority.
Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe the hackers were KAOS and THQ. They're mad because we didn't like HF as much as we should have.

Borlaxx
04-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Maybe the hackers were KAOS and THQ. They're mad because we didn't like HF as much as we should have.
Not possible, as the hackers obviously knew what they were doing with the PS3 coding.

dinsdale1978
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/28/sony-clarifies-psn-breach-timeline/

Update next Tuesday if all goes well. New firmware and forced password change.

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
As Retro stated, ban hammers can come with a 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, or lifetime ban. Most of the time, the 1 year won't be used as if the issue is hacking, they'll get you banned for life. Now, that doesn't stop the hacker from buying a new xbox and then using a different IP address, but that's a lot of trouble to just get back online and start all over again. Some of my friends have been banned for a week a couple of times, but mostly because people send negative comments and complaints about them repeatedly. They don't cheat or hack, but some people are sore losers and just repeatedly do dumb things and send complaints.

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
=)) =)) YOU ARE RIGHT, SIR!!! =)) =))

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Those numbers are wrong, I think it should be more like...

"1 MEEEEEEELION DOLLARS"

http://www.robertjschwalb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dr-evil.jpg

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
@McDonalds comments: I think Grimace was the brains behind it all!

Tracer-M_D_C
04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
"First class-action suit filed over PlayStation Network breach"
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/04/first-class-action-suit-filed-over-playstation-network-breach/1

RFK48
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Where do you get Tuesday from?

Beano
04-28-2011, 11:21 AM
So I just checked my email, and I still haven't gotten my email from Sony. However I did just an email from facebook saying someone wants to be my friend and that person's name is in all chinese symbols. I haven't clicked it should I be scared?

Retro
04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
So I just checked my email, and I still haven't gotten my email from Sony. However I did just an email from facebook saying someone wants to be my friend and that person's name is in all chinese symbols. I haven't clicked it should I be scared?
I got my email last night from Sony. I have been getting strange emails from twitter and facebook. I don't click on anything though.

Borlaxx
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/04/first-class-action-suit-filed-over-playstation-network-breach/1
Already a thread for this.

Tracer-M_D_C
04-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I can NOT keep up with you guys!

Retro
04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
[quote="Tracer-M_D_C":nvfpuhua]"First class-action suit filed over PlayStation Network breach"
I can NOT keep up with you guys![/quote:nvfpuhua]
Move FASTA!

johnboy
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Do you actually need the security question for any reason? Just whenever I have used them.to set something up when they do come up I've usually forgotten the answer.

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Are they selling Ugg boots?

dinsdale1978
04-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Where do you get Tuesday from?

It was in a related article on that site. Sorry for aggregating the rumors.

Borlaxx
04-28-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310549.ht ... Btitle%3B1 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310549.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1)

Good News
According to this article, Sony is saying there is no evidence the credit card table was stolen, and they only warned people out of an abundance of caution, and even if it was stolen, all the credit card info was encrypted and would be useless to the hacker. Also, they are working withe the FBI to find the hacker.

Bad News
They seem to be taking back the estimate that the PSN would be back up in a week, now saying it will only be back up once they are sure it is secure.

Retro
04-28-2011, 01:01 PM
They seem to be taking back the estimate that the PSN would be back up in a week, now saying it will only be back up once they are sure it is secure.
Better they wait and get it right then rush it and get put in the same spot in a few months.