PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2

RC-1136
05-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Just got this for my son. I'm not going to be playing it, but I was wondering if anyone else on here has it. I'm sure he is going to get stuck on a mission soon and it would be cool to talk about it with someone else who has played it.

Psalm
05-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I don't completely understand this game...it appears as if it is a puzzle game that you have to make your way out of rooms?

RC-1136
05-06-2011, 08:47 AM
That is exactly what it is. You have to move these blocks around and put them on buttons using portals to get around the map. It is actually quite a clever game. I don't have the patience to play it. My son is in the Gifted and Talented program at school so the way he thinks is perfect for this game. Me, not so much.

theczech99
05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Just got this for my son. I'm not going to be playing it, but I was wondering if anyone else on here has it. I'm sure he is going to get stuck on a mission soon and it would be cool to talk about it with someone else who has played it.
I got it from Gamefly the day it was released. I started with some co-op with my 7 year old daughter; she really wanted to play because they were running commercials on Nickelodeon like crazy for Portal 2. You may want to start the SP before going into the co-op if youíve never played Portal before. The co-op assumes that you already know what you are doing. We made it through several levels of the co-op before moving on to the SP. I think I made it through 7 of the 9 chapters before getting tired of playing it and sending it back to Gamefly.

I really enjoined solving the puzzles but somewhere around chapter 6 of the SP they go away and thatís when I started losing interest in the game.

05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I rented it and got a little ways into it before I had to take it back. It is a pretty good game. Some of the puzzles are tough and you get them right away. Others could take you a while unless you cheat. The humor in single player is pretty good. I wouldn't know anything about the coop (thanks hackers) (not you Rampage :D ). I have heard it is totally different. Valve releases quality products and dlc. I think he will like it.

Psalm
05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
My 12 yr old daughter loves puzzles and math and such...this sounds like it might be a great game for her?

Retro
05-06-2011, 09:44 AM
My 12 yr old daughter loves puzzles and math and such...this sounds like it might be a great game for her?
Definitely. I have yet to try Portal 2 but the first one was great and from what I have heard part 2 makes the first one look weak.

RC-1136
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM

She would love it then. My son saw it first on Nickelodian, too. That is why he was so hyped up about it. I thought it would be too hard for him, but when the price dropped to $39.99 I thought why not. I have only heard good things about it. He is doing fine so far. We haven't tried the Co-op yet either.

theczech99
05-06-2011, 10:28 AM

She would love it then. My son saw it first on Nickelodian, too. That is why he was so hyped up about it. I thought it would be too hard for him, but when the price dropped to $39.99 I thought why not. I have only heard good things about it. He is doing fine so far. We haven't tried the Co-op yet either.
The split screen co-op is funny. You can see yourself flying around the rooms through the other players view. The puzzles in co-op are a lot of fun and both players must work together to solve them.

Psalm
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I signed up with gamefly just to rent this first....thanks guys!

Borlaxx
05-06-2011, 10:40 AM
How much is GF a month?

Psalm
05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
How much is GF a month?
there is a free trial with 2 games out for the first 10 days....(which I may cancel after it)
then I think its $22.95 for 2 games out a month
or $15.95 for 1 a month
there is also a trial one month for $7.95

I was not impressed with Gamefly a few years ago when I tried it...but, I though it would be worth trying again.

Borlaxx
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
How much is GF a month?
there is a free trial with 2 games out for the first 10 days....(which I may cancel after it)
then I think its $22.95 for 2 games out a month
or $15.95 for 1 a month
there is also a trial one month for $7.95

I was not impressed with Gamefly a few years ago when I tried it...but, I though it would be worth trying again.
That is a little steep. If I games for hours every night it would be worth it, but I don't.

theczech99
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
How much is GF a month?
If a Gamefly member sends you a link you can get it free for one month. My bill with tax is $24.38 each month.

xMisFitToyx
05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I stopped on the way home tonight and picked up Portal 2.

Nolan and I will be playing it this weekend.

Best Buy Dropped their price from $59.99 to $39.99 so I thought I would take advantage of it.

Plus...I bought a second Dual Shock Controller on Wednesday and today Best Buy had them on sale for $12.00 off the regular $54.99 price.

So I put the refund toward the purchase of Portal 2 also.......Total outlay for Portal 2 tonight was $29.67.....Woo..Hoo... :D

Retro
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Plus...I bought a second Dual Shock Controller on Wednesday and today Best Buy had them on sale for $12.00 off the regular $54.99 price.

So I put the refund toward the purchase of Portal 2 also.......Total outlay for Portal 2 tonight was $29.67.....Woo..Hoo... :D
Best Buy now has the controller for $54.99 plus you get a PS3 Greatest Hits title for free.

xMisFitToyx
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Best Buy now has the controller for $54.99 plus you get a PS3 Greatest Hits title for free.

Here is a link for the $12.00 off "Sale" price

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=B9265A1CC7A41121733E2A13358 4CB2E.bbolsp-app01-18?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=8976253155575444154&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=dualshock&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

xMisFitToyx
05-07-2011, 10:18 AM
So far...Portal 2 is a Blast...........me and Nolan are working together in co-op mode to figure out all the puzzles....and sometimes killing each other in the process :))

xMisFitToyx
05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Damn....the levels are getting VERY tough.............lots of working through scenarios and trial and error

When PSN comes back on I want to get together with someone on line to try to get through some of this ...

Also, My son Nolan wants to play on line co-op with some other kids......

If your child would like to play through this with Nolan, his PSN name is No_No_1 .........LBP2 and Mod Nation Racers as well

BTW....Nolan is extremely good at figuring these type of games/puzzles out............

xMisFitToyx
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I stopped on the way home tonight and picked up Portal 2.

Nolan and I will be playing it this weekend.

Best Buy Dropped their price from $59.99 to $39.99 so I thought I would take advantage of it.

Just looked @ Best Buy.com.....they are giving 500 Gamers Club Bonus points ($10.00) if you buy this game.........

That now brings it down to $19.67 cost.........(When I finish, I wonder what Game Stop will buy it for.....Maybe I can make some money on this deal)...... =))

Psalm
05-11-2011, 09:55 AM
love,love,love this game....played about 6 hours last night with my older daughter...(Wife and younger daughter are out of town) we got to chapter 6 (the fall)...cool story and the landscape and feel. It reminds me of Bioshock 2's rapture....The humor is outstanding
one of the best single-player games I have ever played....it is enthralling if you like puzzles.
Some of the puzzles are tough.....we got stuck at one with the dispersment gel. it was late. we shall give it a go tonight.
very fun.....9/10 for me.

Trez
05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Ed, did you play coop or single player and take turns? Apparently the coop is a continuation of the SP. I would really like to play this game at some point too, but playing on my Mac would be my only option. Anyone know if there's a Mac version yet?

Borlaxx
05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Ed, did you play coop or single player and take turns? Apparently the coop is a continuation of the SP. I would really like to play this game at some point too, but playing on my Mac would be my only option. Anyone know if there's a Mac version yet?
You have probably already thought of this, but now would be a great time to get a used PS3, or even a new one. I think many retailers are having sales.

Trez
05-11-2011, 11:40 AM
You have probably already thought of this, but now would be a great time to get a used PS3, or even a new one. I think many retailers are having sales.
Oh yeah I've thought of this. I keep meaning to get on Craigslist to see if those fed up with the PSN outage are selling. I'll check in a bit.

Borlaxx
05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah I've thought of this. I keep meaning to get on Craigslist to see if those fed up with the PSN outage are selling. I'll check in a bit.
One problem with a used one may be the fact that when the PSN comes back up we will all have to update and change our PW on the system we set it up on. Not sure if you will have to verify your previous password to change to a new one. Probably not, but could be a potential issue with a used system.

Retro
05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
One problem with a used one may be the fact that when the PSN comes back up we will all have to update and change our PW on the system we set it up on. Not sure if you will have to verify your previous password to change to a new one. Probably not, but could be a potential issue with a used system.
Why would your network password have anything to do with your system??? Your password is tied to a user account, not the hardware.

Psalm
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
We played single player and took turns...we also both would try and solve each one...it was a blast
I check our local Graigslist all the time for games....usually any game for $20
I have seen PS3's for $100 to 150

johnboy
05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I read about the password thing. Sony said that to verify the password change, it needs to be done on the console that the account was originally set up on. Sounds like bs to me!

Trez
05-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I just found a 120 gb slim for $75. @-) Nice selection of games too! I sent an e-mail.

Retro
05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I just found a 120 gb slim for $75. @-) Nice selection of games too! I sent an e-mail.
Grab that sucker.

johnboy
05-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I read about the password thing. Sony said that to verify the password change, it needs to be done on the console that the account was originally set up on. Sounds like bs to me!

Or via validated email confirmation. Got it direct from playstation.com

RC-1136
05-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Or via validated email confirmation. Got it direct from playstation.com

That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't you just create a new account on the machine? How could it stop you from doing that?

Back on topic, I might have to try out Portal now. I am definately going to do the co-op with me son at some point.

xMisFitToyx
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Back on topic, I might have to try out Portal now. I am definately going to do the co-op with me son at some point.

Super fun game.................I have been going back and forth between Co-Op and SP (after my son goes to bed)

I have reached Chapter 9 in SP....on level 5-7 on Co-Op...

It is very addictive...........you solve a puzzle .....then you say...just one more and it turns into 3 or 4 more.. :)) (-|

I would definitely give this a 9 or 10.......I am going to see if I can pick up a used copy of the first Portal...

theczech99
05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I am going to see if I can pick up a used copy of the first Portal...
I think it only comes in ďThe Orange BoxĒ. A friend at work loaned me his but I have not had a chance to play it yet. He said he bought it when he first got his PS3 for $15. Iíve looked several times on amazon and they are going for at least $40. Iím sure the price is high right now due to the release of Portal 2.

xMisFitToyx
05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I completed the SP on this game.....Going to work on the Co-Op this weekend...

Plus, I have some SP challenges I did not complete that I will be working on......... :D

Psalm
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM

Plus, I have some SP challenges I did not complete that I will be working on......... :D
Some of the SP challenges look hard.. I am at the part in the SP (chapter 9 "this is the part where I kill you") where I am trying to...
[spoiler:30mpppj8]Kill him and place his new head on him but...I'm lost...any help.[/spoiler:30mpppj8]

xMisFitToyx
05-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Some of the SP challenges look hard.. I am at the part in the SP (chapter 9 "this is the part where I kill you") where I am trying to...
[spoiler:pwhf6zwv]Kill him and place his new head on him but...I'm lost...any help.[/spoiler:pwhf6zwv]

[spoiler:pwhf6zwv]You have to put (3) Corrupted cores on him....

Put a portal on one of the panels that are on the walls....stand on the white floor, when you hear the bombs starting to drop (they are going to drop where you are currently standing) shoot a portal where you are standing....this will shoot you through the portal on the wall..

the bombs should come through the portal with you and hit him......

to put the core on him (all three) ......bounce on the blue gel towards the area on him that has the red light.....and press the square button to attach it...

then......do it again....this time, when you come through the portal, you have to direct the bombs to a portal behind him (because of his shields)

the last one is the hardest (you only have a couple of minutes to complete it before everything self destructs)
and you have to be in a very specific spot for the bombs to hit him.

the last core is a little difficult to get......you will have to use the orange repulsion gel to get it....

Let me know if you need any more tips[/spoiler:pwhf6zwv]

Psalm
05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks Dog....I couldn't figure what to do with the core.

xMisFitToyx
05-26-2011, 07:15 AM
I had already finished the SP part of this game. Last night me and Nolan finished the MP......I still need to go back and get some of the trophies in both SP & MP.....if anyone has this and would like to do some online MP with me ...... give me a shout.... :cheers:

xMisFitToyx
06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Shout Out to RC-1136

Thanks for the HELP in getting the Professor Portal Award last night.

Thanks Buddy

RC-1136
06-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Shout Out to RC-1136

Thanks Buddy

No problem. That was fun. I would have played more, but I promised my son I'd play the co-op with him when he finished the SP. I want to figure it all out together. This game is so creative. My son has been amazing me how he figures this game out. He is in the Gifted and Talented Program at his school and I can see why. I just wish he wasn't such a knuckle headed 8 y/o sometimes.

xMisFitToyx
06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Shout Out to RC-1136

Thanks Buddy

No problem. That was fun. I would have played more, but I promised my son I'd play the co-op with him when he finished the SP. I want to figure it all out together. This game is so creative. My son has been amazing me how he figures this game out. He is in the Gifted and Talented Program at his school and I can see why. I just wish he wasn't such a knuckle headed 8 y/o sometimes.

My copy of Portal 2 came with a PC download copy......My son has installed it on his PC and we play co-op together CROSS PLATFORM....Him on PC ...Me on PS3

Unfortunately he played co-op online with someone else before I realized i needed a NOOB (No Offense intended) to get my professor portal trophy.

If your son would ever like to play co-op with my son Nolan (12yo) his PSN ID is NO_NO_1 ...it is also his STEAM ID

TonkaToys
08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
My mate over at EA got me a copy of this - quite good fun.

xMisFitToyx
08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
My mate over at EA got me a copy of this - quite good fun.

If you need help with any of the Co-Op trophies let me know... :cheers:

TonkaToys
08-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Cheers, I might just do that.

EDIT: Just seen this, which is some physicists talking in a light-hearted fashion about whether Portal 2 wormholes could really be achieved.
:D

[yt:1sdczyba]pw6JIB3pM2o[/yt:1sdczyba]

PS: this is a good YT channel if you're interested in science-y type things.

xMisFitToyx
08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
First Portal 2 DLC arriving mid-September

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/316154/first-portal-2-dlc-arriving-mid-september/

DayliteMag
08-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I picked up this game and love it! The only prob is that I brought it with me on vaca and can't get my PS3 to work on the Sony tv that's here at the cottage. I even went out and bought a new AV cable. Nothing!

xMisFitToyx
08-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I picked up this game and love it! The only prob is that I brought it with me on vaca and can't get my PS3 to work on the Sony tv that's here at the cottage. I even went out and bought a new AV cable. Nothing!

Sign into Steam and create an account.....then lets see if we can do cross platform co-op PS3/XBOX on Portal 2.

I have it on my PS3 and my son has it on his laptop....and we are able to play co-op cross platform....through Steam.........

If we can do it...I will help you with some of your co-op trophies........ :cheers:

DayliteMag
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
@Dog: I actually picked this up for the PS3 instead of XBOX. Just getting started and haven't explored the co-op yet. I think I'm in the third chapter.

xMisFitToyx
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
@Dog: I actually picked this up for the PS3 instead of XBOX. Just getting started and haven't explored the co-op yet. I think I'm in the third chapter.

It is a Great game......and can be VERY long.......... 8-}

TonkaToys
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Quick FYI whilst the boss looks the other way... the original portal is being offered for free this weekend!

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/16/v ... _for_free/ (http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/16/valve_gives_portal_away_for_free/)

xMisFitToyx
10-05-2011, 08:21 AM
The FREE DLC for Portal 2 is available for download now.

I understand it is co-op levels only.

I downloaded it last night, but I didn't play any of it. I will probably play it some this weekend with my son unless any MPeeps have it and would like to give it a GO :D

xMisFitToyx
07-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Yesterday I saw a deer.

I think I am going to get my plat for this , sometime this week/weekend.

RC-1136
07-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Let me know if you need help with the co-op trophies. I think we played some already together back in the day.