PDA

View Full Version : Box of Apples!

Major Stains
06-07-2011, 03:50 AM
General news and reviews on Apple products here.

Trez
06-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Looking forward to this OS release as well as iCloud and iOS in the fall. iCloud will let you stream your media to any enabled Apple computer or iDevice. I've been hoping for a service like this as there's always that one song I'd like to listen to, or that one picture I'd like to share on the go, but it's not on my laptop or iPhone. The enhancements to iOS look pretty cool as well. I'm really eager to try it all out.

Maybe we can do something with the Multi-Console forum like we did with general discussion topics?

Borlaxx
06-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Maybe we can do something with the Multi-Console forum like we did with general discussion topics?
I will look into doing this when I have the time.

Trez
06-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I will look into doing this when I have the time.
No worries man. Whenever's fine. I know how to do that stuff too if a short tern admin privilege is needed. ;)

I'm usually talking to myself when it comes to iOS stuff. At least I could a cozy home all by my lonesome. :(

Trez
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Instead of making a new forum thead... :D

I've been reading up on the iOS 5 update recently and this is the most in-depth article I've found. I am so eager for this update! =p~ It looks like some great inovations are coming to the iOS—some borrowed from Android.

25 reasons Android should fear iOS right now (http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/08/6813349-25-reasons-android-should-fear-ios-right-now)

As a complete apple fanboy I've definitely been burned by the constant iterations Apple products, but the iPhone has been the best—and longest lived to date. It looks like iOS 5 will extend the life of the iPhone even longer.

Major Stains
07-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Brad, Mark, any one with a Mac... HELP ~x(

I'm just trying to drag our 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac up to speed, ready for OS X Lion.

But I'm having a problem. It is currently running Version 10.5.8, so I borrowed a copy of 10.6.3 off my brother, but that failed as it is locked in to his Macbook...
Will I have to go out and buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard on disk, then download Lion?

I think I just answered my own question,but confirmation would be great.

Cheers Macfans :cheers:

Raider
07-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Here you go. http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/07/mac-os-x ... uirements/ (http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/07/mac-os-x-10-7-lion-system-requirements/)

Trez
07-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Nice resource Raider! Looks like I'm good to go. I've got a "Harpertown" Xeon, Mac Pro with the latest OS.

Looks like you did answer your own question Major.

I'm looking forward to this, but probably iOS 5 a bit more. ;)

Major Stains
07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the link Raider.
It did answer my question perfectly. So I started the long road of OS upgrade today, it may be reasonably priced, but boy what a pain in the ass.
Bought 10.6.3 for £26, 2 hours to download that. Then update to 10.6.8, another 2 hours.
So now I'm ready to pay another £30 and spend a further 2 hours downloading 10.7 when it comes...
I do hope Lion comes with the option of creating a hard copy of this OS, so I don't have to go through that again if my Hd crashes.

On the plus side, the upgrade did free up over 10gig memory!
Plus I may have to buy Lego Star Wars on the App store :cheers:

Major Stains
07-20-2011, 03:12 AM
So if the rumours are true, Lion is released today.
I'm not sure whether I'll hold out till 10.7.1, so any bugs get ironed out...but this is just me guessing.

Raider
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm going to hold out and wait for any bugs to be cleared. No sesnse in rushing it, I can still do my day to day with what I've got.

Major Stains
07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
*Edit

After some time spent trawling the forums, it is apparent that in my trigger happy act of downloading Lion was a big mistake.
I do feel slightly let down by the Apple store staff, as I did explain my situation before upgrading.
I personally found no word on OS X 10.7 not being able to support Power PC applications until today (I know its obvious if you look in the right places)
But there was certainly no word directly from Apple sources, just forums, journals etc.

So long story short, my wife is still running all her old Adobe CS2 apps off this computer,
and the costs of upgrading PS, Indesign, plus the Microsoft apps, to bring them all up to speed is not an option.

Which (I think) leaves me with the only option of doing a hard back up. Wiping the HD and then booting with Snow Leopard all over again.
Is this right?

I swear I am going to stick to consoles. This is doing my fucking head in!!!

Raider
07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
If Lion is not allowing you to run Phtoshop CS2 than it's an adobe problem and not a powerPC problem. hmmmmm

See if they have your answer here! http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

EDIT:

I just found this in the article

Rosetta support no longer included with Lion

CS2 or earlier versions of Adobe products required Rosetta to run on newer Intel based mac systems. These older versions will no longer be supported as Apple removed Rosetta support with the 10.7 release.

Looks like you need to uninstall Lion and go back to Snow Leopard until you get the newer version of Photoshop. Sorry man.

Major Stains
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
#-o I was editing my post as you were writing yours :))

Yeah. To coin a phrase... "How d'ya like dem apples?" :cuss: X(

Thanks for the advise though dude.

I could do with this like a hole in the head. Thought I was doing my wife a favour with a nice new OS.
Now she's going to miss a print deadline because of me.... #-o D.I.V.O.R.C.E :-ss

Trez
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Damn stains, that sucks!

The only Power PC program that I can't use is Microsoft Word. Good riddance! :P

I went ahead and upgraded last night. I haven't delved into it much, but the features look great! I'll have to organize my "Launchpad". I like having all my apps right there, but the uninstall packages are there cluttering it up.

Major Stains
07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
What a crappy couple of days spent in front of that damn Mac.
A lesson learnt and on the plus side the newly wiped hard drive is lighter than Victoria Beckham on helium!

Lion did corrupt alot of files doing a reverse back up, and me, being an ignorant twat didn't do a 10.6.8 time machine.

Lion was good while it lasted, but at least the Mrs made her deadline.
My mail files won't reload, and all my web bookmarks are dust.
But at least I held on to my marriage... For now! #-o

There are rumours of Rosetta getting upgraded, but you know rumours.
On the other hand, can I boot up Lion, using the 10.7 time machine on my external hard drive? There could be light......

Pip pip, apple fans.

Raider
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I got my Mac in Nov. of 09'. When I got it, I got it with the Microsoft Office Suite package pre-installed. That version better be current enough or I'm going to send Apple a nasty little letter. Programs I bought direct from them less than 2 years ago better not be obsolete to Lion.

Trez
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm thinking we got our comps around the same time. I had my version of Office much longer, moved from my old computer. It was Microsoft Office X.

EDIT: I have an Early 2008 Mac Pro. It still runs like a champ especially with ram and video card upgrades. The new System Information utility for Lion is looking good! ;)

Raider
07-22-2011, 10:02 AM
This is the Mac I have

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT-2IHu5HI8ZUG7DrSxuqp9Q6C1LPm9DBR__Y1N2BzJ1Zi93z2fA

I wonder if it's possible to get upgrades on this thing. I wouldn't even begin to know where to install it. lol

Major Stains
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Ours is the 2007 version of yours Mark.
You should find upgrades for those applications.
I would upgrade ours, but they were *AHEM* "acquired" from somewhere a fews years ago.

My wife is asking me to buy her the latest Creative Suite so it runs on Lion, as I lost sooo much stuff this week #-o X(

(Go to 'About this Mac'>More info>software>applications>4th column across- anything with power pc is dust...)

johnboy
07-22-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't know if there is a Mac version but I use Sun Microsystems / Oracles, Open Office. It's free and works as well as Mircoshaft Office. I know quite a few others that use it too.

Major Stains
09-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Latest news from the Apple stable is an Apple TV to be announced this year.
Nope, not Apple TV, but an Apple TV (probably with Apple TV in it!)

So it leads this amusing critic asking "has Apple lost its direction?"
Makes me laugh the thought of an Apple toilet - swipe to poop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfEaLGiTyk&sns=em