PDA

View Full Version : Sony Starts One-Time Use Codes for Online Games

Borlaxx
07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I knew it was just a matter of time: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6322416/so ... Btitle%3B9 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6322416/sony-confirms-network-pass-program?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B9)

Starting with Resistance 3, first party games for the PS3 will now have a single time use code to access all the online features, much like Homefront, EA games, etc. If you buy the game new you get the code for free at no additional charge, but anyone who buys a game used will have to pay extra to play online. This is a effort started recently by developers to encourage people to buy games new, which puts money in the developers pocket, rather than buy them used, which puts no money in the developers pocket -- only the pocket of companies like Gamestop.

I am sure there will be debate on this, but it doesn't bother me. I would rather my money go to the developer who can use the increased profits to make new games rather than to Gamestop so they can continue to give me $10 in trade and then put it right back on the shelf for $55. Besides, the difference in cost for new versus used is normally only $5. If this trend catches on, which I am sure it will (expect Microsoft and other 3rd party developers to do the same very soon) then used game costs will have to come down to give a person a reason to buy used. Of course, this also means the value you get for used game will probably come down, too.

dinsdale1978
07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
It's going to be more common than not as game companies restrict their networks and privacy rights. It seems like this will only apply to games release after this implementation so I should be clear. With the booming used game trade companies need to secure their assets somehow. The way to look at it is, either you pay the access fee once per game (made by Sony) or you pay a online subscription fee per game...

CELockwood
07-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't like it, but it at least makes some sense for online games where the argument can be made that companies may see higher costs for maintaining the servers due to reselling.

My only concern is that this or a similar practice starts to migrate into SP games as well.

Borlaxx
07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
My only concern is that this or a similar practice starts to migrate into SP games as well.
I will not be surprised if that happens at some point.

Regardless, with the price difference being $5 between new and used, you might as well buy new anyway.

Retro
07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I will not be surprised if that happens at some point.

Regardless, with the price difference being $5 between new and used, you might as well buy new anyway.
Where do you only get a $5 difference between new and used?

My only concern is it will hurt the trade-in side. I prefer to buy new in most cases, but I also offset that by trading in older games. I just "bought" NCAA Football 12 by trading in LA Noire and using an EA coupon. I ended up being left with a $20 credit on my Game Stop account. I've bought Madden every year, but only once in the last 5 years have I actually "paid" for it. Every other year I have been able to offset the cost by trading in games. Hell I barely paid for LA Noire, if I remember right I got either LA Noire or Brink for pretty much free.

The developers get paid regardless as they are paid on games shipped not actual retail sales. The retail store receives 100 copies of a game, they may only sell 80 copies but the developer is still paid for the 100 copies. The retailer has 20 new copies on the shelf sitting beside a few used copies, the customer choosing the used games has zero effect on the developer as they have already been paid for those 20 games collecting dust. It may hurt later on when the store stops ordering copies, but like the movies most games make their money on the opening week sales.

Used games also give consumers a cheaper way of discovering a game franchise. I bought Mass Effect for $10 used. Because the game was so good I also bought the DLC (obviously from the developer) and then when ME2 was launched I was the first in line and I will be again with ME3. Had I not bought that used copy of ME, I might not have bought ME2 and would certainly bought the DLC. Same thing with Bad Company. Bought the first used and got sucked in and bought BC2 new plus Vietnam.

The music industry tried this with the whole "it's ours and WE own it". How well did that work out for them? Here we are 10 years later and the music industry is a waste land for record company's.

The gaming industry gets no sympathy from me. From games, DLC, consoles and accessories I probably spend between $1500 to $2000 each year. If there is something I'm not too sure about but really want to spend some time with (as in more than a rental), I want to buy it used. If they have made a really good game, then will probably get money from out of a DLC purchase and if there is a sequal made, I'll buy it new on launch day.

And when I'm done with it, no matter how good it was, I want to sell it or trade it for something else and that means 99% of the time a new game.

Borlaxx
07-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Gamestop.

Retro
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Gamestop.
Damn, you guys get hosed! If it's a brand new game I can see that, but anything that's been out for more than 3 months?

Borlaxx
07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Normally it is just new games, but basically anything you can get there used but they also have new there is only a $5 difference. If a game gets discounted down to $40 because it has been out awhile, then you can get it used for $35. The only time I see a bigger difference is if they have some sale going on. Of course, there are older games they don't even sell new anymore.

Jackie R
07-07-2011, 08:00 PM
As a gamer who is willing to wait for a game, this definitely sucks but I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it.

Would be nice to see this result in cheaper retail games though. I mean, if more people are buying new copies and thus putting more money in developers' pockets, then it would be logical for prices to come down...no? http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/salamence502/unsure.gif

xMisFitToyx
07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I have never bought a used game...... there is not enough difference for me to buy one and chance that it may have unseen damage.. :( prolly just paranoid

I am constantly looking for bargains on the new games..... I picked up (NEW) BC2 Ultimate Edition (With all the extra VIP maps and Onsluaght Mode for $29.99

@ Fathers Day Toys R Us had a sale of buy 2 for $50.00 ... so I got Black Ops and LA Noire ($25 ea)

I also picked up MOH (NEW) for $9.99

I see that BB has Fallout New Vegas for $9.99 ... and Toys R Us had Bioshock 2 for $9.98

CELockwood
07-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Gamestop.
Damn, you guys get hosed! If it's a brand new game I can see that, but anything that's been out for more than 3 months?

That's why even though I'm a big fan of buying and selling used games, I'm not such a fan of GS. They make it convenient, but that's about all you can say for them.

Retro
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
That's why even though I'm a big fan of buying and selling used games, I'm not such a fan of GS. They make it convenient, but that's about all you can say for them.

The only time I use GS is for trading in when they have thier "power" trade events, where I can get 50% extra trade credit if I pre-order a new game. It usually ends up that I only pay $5 for the new game at most, end up with a credit on my account or most times I just get the new game in a straight up trade.

If I do buy used then I go to a place called Microplay, way better deals and the owner is always open to negotiate on the price of used games.

Psalm
07-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Maybe this will slow down the rip-off that is Gamestop...(and my daughter works there ;) )

Beano
07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I love the new game smell when you open the package. Yeah I think it's weird but I like to 5 bucks extra for new anyway.

CELockwood
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM

The only time I use GS is for trading in when they have thier "power" trade events, where I can get 50% extra trade credit if I pre-order a new game. It usually ends up that I only pay $5 for the new game at most, end up with a credit on my account or most times I just get the new game in a straight up trade.

If I do buy used then I go to a place called Microplay, way better deals and the owner is always open to negotiate on the price of used games.

That's a nice alternative that I wish I had near me. My usual route is ebay, which give me a better return (sometimes very surprisingly), but it's more of a hassle.