PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

Borlaxx
07-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I am super psyched about the new Hobbit movies Peter Jackson is making. In case you didn't know, The Hobbit was actually the first book before the Lord of the Rings trilogy and follows Bilbo Baggins' (Frodo's uncle) quest. I loved what Peter Jackson did with the LOTR movies, and I am excited to see what he does with The Hobbit. Apparently they are splitting the book up into two movies. Here are some of the pics just released of what the Dwarves are going to look like in the movie.

FILI & KILI
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/118/1181874/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110712041721512-000.jpg

OIN & GLOIN
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/118/1181874/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110712041742964-000.jpg

DORI, NORI & ORI
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/118/1181874/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110712043601939-000.jpg

BOFUR, BOMBUR & BIFUR
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/118/1181874/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110713111341600-000.jpg

And here is the link to the IGN article explaining who these characters are: http://movies.ign.com/articles/118/1181874p1.html

Trez
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm very excited for this too. I purchased the book just this weekend.

johnboy
07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm stoked for these films, I first read both the hobbit and lotr when I was a kid although I've not read lotr since, I have read the hobbit many times.

RATA MUERTA
07-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I always loved the cartoon hobbit movie I saw as a kid. Will check this out for sure!!

Trez
07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Evangeline Lilli being cast in this movie is a major plus too! ;)

http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Evangeline-Lilly-The-Hobbit-wide-560x282.jpg

RATA MUERTA
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Well they have to have somebody hot with all that dwarfage going on! =))

Trez
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm strictly speaking on her acting credentials. If I was looking for a hot actress to fill the part I would prefer Sarah Jessica Parker. :))

Borlaxx
07-15-2011, 08:07 AM
If I was looking for a hot actress to fill the part I would prefer Sarah Jessica Parker. :))

I can't remember. Are there horse-faced Trolls in The Hobbit?

3:-O

TonkaToys
01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
December 2012... That's going to be a looooooong wait.

HardlyCapable13
01-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Holy crap. I didn't know there was a trailer out already. I really wish I wouldn't have seen that... December is too far out!

CELockwood
01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Psyched about this one as well. I've been trying to get my kids to read the Hobbit with no luck. My son (11) actually had the chance to read this for school and chose Animal Farm instead. #-o

Borlaxx
01-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Psyched about this one as well. I've been trying to get my kids to read the Hobbit with no luck. My son (11) actually had the chance to read this for school and chose Animal Farm instead. #-o
Hobbit is a better book, but Animal Farm has a more important message. I am a big fan of George Orwell. 1984 changed my view of the world when I had to read it the first time in school. I have read it 3 more times since then.

RC-1136
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I am excited about this, but it seems they are already changing a lot from the book just in the trailer. It is making me a little nervous. IMO The Hobbit is 100 X's better than the Fellowship of the ring. I read The Hobbit first, but the fisrt half of FOTR was so slow I almost gave up on the series. I'm glad I didn't. I have also read the Similarian and the Sons of Huron. If are a LOTR fan and haven't read them you really should. They are amazing.

Gink
01-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm with you there RC. Excited but concerned about all the changes. The Hobbit is one of my favorites. My dad read it to us when I was a kid, and I just finished reading it to my daughter, so when I saw the trailer with the book fresh in my memory it was a combo of "That looks coooool! " and "uhhhh that's not in the story??". But the lotr movies were like that, good but full of things that weren't part of the story while other parts were cut out, and were still enjoyable.

I guess Tolkien didn't write in enough hot chicks and love interests to suit Hollywood. So just like Arwen went from a bit character in lotr books to a ton of screen time for Liv Tyler through an invented storyline of her relationship with Aragorn... now we have Evangeline Lilly, who is great, but is playing a completely Peter Jackson invented character.

I'm sure it will be great entertainment though, as long as folks can get past the liberties taken. I'm mostly concerned that doing it in 2 movies is a box office cash grab rather than the length neccessary to do full justice to the story. But maybe I'm just irked at having to wait 2 years to see the whole thing.

ProfUnderDog
01-27-2012, 10:16 AM
There was a great blog post on Wired about the trailer and I share the writer's complaint that while I really like Peter Jackson's movies I didn't appreciate how he changed the characters into what the blogger described as basically whiny, self-doubting emos. Frodo is steadfast and Aragorn is noble. Both were less so in the movies and the trailer suggests that Jackson may tweek Gandalf now.

Borlaxx
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
There was a great blog post on Wired about the trailer and I share the writer's complaint that while I really like Peter Jackson's movies I didn't appreciate how he changed the characters into what the blogger described as basically whiny, self-doubting emos. Frodo is steadfast and Aragorn is noble. Both were less so in the movies and the trailer suggests that Jackson may tweek Gandalf now.
I would hardly call them emo. If anything, I thought they seemed more human (or more hobbit, as it were) and more relateable as a result. Obviously anyone who reads the books will form their own impressions of what the characters should be like, but I find no fault in Peter Jacksons interpretation, and although he can't please everyone, I think only the most hard headed fanboys could be overly negative about the LOtR movies. Obviously The Hobbit could be a different story.

RC-1136
01-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I would hardly call them emo. If anything, I thought they seemed more human (or more hobbit, as it were) and more relateable as a result. Obviously anyone who reads the books will form their own impressions of what the characters should be like, but I find no fault in Peter Jacksons interpretation, and although he can't please everyone, I think only the most hard headed fanboys could be overly negative about the LOtR movies. Obviously The Hobbit could be a different story.

I thought that Sam and Frodo were ambiguosly gay when I was reading the books. I thought Jackson hit the nail on the head with their portrayal in the movies. There were a couple times where I thought they were going to kiss.

CELockwood
01-27-2012, 11:19 AM

I thought that Sam and Frodo were ambiguosly gay when I was reading the books. I thought Jackson hit the nail on the head with their portrayal in the movies. There were a couple times where I thought they were going to kiss.

I need to go back and read the books, because I didn't get this at all from the book, but it definitely comes across that way for all the hobbits in the movie. That's the biggest and most frequent complaint I've heard on the movies from LOTR fans.