PDA

View Full Version : Running

Madlob75
10-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm training for a half at the end of October. Any other runners on here? This will be my first race, so I have no idea how to train. I'm just going out and running as far as I can, for as long as I can. Any tips would be great.

oreon87
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
carb up, potatoes are my fav. but 3days before the run drink 12glasses of water min till the afternoon before the race, start eating carbs so bread and potatoes and stuff like that. you want proteins and the fish acid so alot of tuna. peanut butter the day before, whip out a spoon and eat a spoonful of peanut butter the morning of the race and have some the night before also. i usually had to wrap my legs up burrito style or else i would get cramp's. but other than that have fun, slow and steady win's. unless you really want that shirt or w/e the prize may be dont worry about first. find someone whose running at your speed and stay with them as long as you can. its always better to breathe through the nose out the mouth on every other stride. or sing while running. have fun let us know how it goes :cheers:

Madlob75
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
This is purely recreational for me. I have no intention or wild imagination of finishing anywhere near the leaders. I do feel confident I can finish having run almost the whole time. I think what baffles me, is that some nights I can get out and run for almost 2 hours and feel great. Other nights I'm done after 6 miles. It has been cooler so that helps. Do you run a lot of races?

dadafett
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Doing the ATM on Sunday in DC -- yeah carb up, but slow and steady pace. Find your natural pace and roll with that comfort zone. If the start time is early, dress warm -- note that you will not want to run with all this extra clothes so have someone to take them off your person. If you are solo, then maybe an on the fly poncho from a garbage bag -- easily discarded.

As for training, the right shoes are a plus -- my feet prefer the flat/wide foot New Balance ( lately 900 series), but I've been dooing research on the toe shoes (Vibram) though the transition to them takes a while, it may be better for me in the long run.

I'm not a marathoner, 1/2 is my high end, but I run short and long distance training runs to provide variety and then the week before I pare it down to half the race...
I'm also a big Walter Payton fan so I love the hills.

my ten cents

oreon87
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Doing the ATM on Sunday in DC -- yeah carb up, but slow and steady pace. Find your natural pace and roll with that comfort zone. If the start time is early, dress warm -- note that you will not want to run with all this extra clothes so have someone to take them off your person. If you are solo, then maybe an on the fly poncho from a garbage bag -- easily discarded.

As for training, the right shoes are a plus -- my feet prefer the flat/wide foot New Balance ( lately 900 series), but I've been dooing research on the toe shoes (Vibram) though the transition to them takes a while, it may be better for me in the long run.

I'm not a marathoner, 1/2 is my high end, but I run short and long distance training runs to provide variety and then the week before I pare it down to half the race...
I'm also a big Walter Payton fan so I love the hills.

my ten cents

the new balance running shoes are AMAZING. they are givin out in boot camp and i've never even thought about getting another brand. and i dont run marathons but i use to do 5k runs atleast once a month before i got injured.

dadafett
10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Wasn't the fastest, but I finished -- A great run through the capitol. The new race route took us near Arlington cemetery and seeing the tombstones could only motivate the more than 30,000 runners...

:cheers:

Madlob75
10-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Nice!

Madlob75
10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Just got back from finishing my first half. Felt pretty good. Not sure of my time yet, but it was definitely a personal best for me. I'll try and put a picture up.