PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading PS3 Hard Disk

Spike Forehand
10-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi all -

Just went through the process of replacing my 40gb original hard disc with a 250 gb disc, and figured I would post the steps I went through to get it done. While it was very simple in general, there are some YouTube videos that make it all look easier than it is, so I figured I would share what I went through to save others from having to relearn it.

Got this all accomplished last night.  Had a few minor bumps, but at the end it worked fine.  I now have a solid 210 gigs of extra room – woot woot.

Here’s the steps I went through:

1 – Bought a 250 gig Western Digital notebook harddrive from Best Buy - $45.  Here’s the one I got:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Dig ... Id=9024147 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+Scorpio+Blue+250GB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive +for+Laptops/9024147.p;jsessionid=8B5EB044C720D70ADBCDDF90E5225 F42.bbolsp-app05-16?id=1218012522486&skuId=9024147)

May be able to get it for a few bucks cheaper on the internet, but I couldn’t find anything significantly less so I just picked it up.

2 – Took an existing USB external hard drive that I use for backups and moved files off of it to another computer.

3 – Reformat the external hard drive to fat32 format.  You can do this via a DOS command line prompt, but supposedly this is very slow.  I used a freeware program called “fat32format” or something like that.  Googling “Fat 32 format” will pop up several options.  It only took like 30 seconds to format the whole external drive, but this does destroy any data on there, so make sure you do step #2 above.   Here’s the one I used:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm)

4 – Hook up the external hard drive via USB to the PS3.  The PS3 should recognize it (if it doesn’t then you didn’t do step #3 properly). 

5 – Use the “back-up” PS3 function to back-up to the external drive.  This took like an hour and a half for my roughly 35 gigs of data on my PS3.

6 – Turn off and unplug PS3 and remove the existing hard drive.  Reinstall the new one.  Plenty of youtube videos on how to do this, and it’s also illustrated in your PS3 manual.

7 – Plug a PS3 controller directly into the PS3 with a recharger cable.  Turn on the PS3 by holding down the power button for a few seconds  until you hear a beep (like you would if you want to force standard graphics boot-up).  If you get an error message that says a bunch of stuff about not having a properly formatted hard drive and/or needing to download the system software, then you’ll need to do the extra step #8.  If the system loads the standard XMB menu bar then skip to step # 10.

8 – EXTRA STEP:  From a PC, download the current operating system software (for me this was verion 3.72).  Get it here:

http://us.playstation.com/support/syste ... /index.htm (http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm)

Copy this file onto the same external hard drive into a folder called PS3/UPDATE.  ( the PS3 folder will have been created when you did the backup, but you’ll need to create the UPDATE folder).

9 – With the external hard drive reconnected, start up the PS3 by again holding the start button down for a few seconds (until you hear a beep).  Then you’ll need to wake up your controller and then hold both “SELECT” and “START” on the controller at the same time to get it to look for and install the system software again.  Can’t remember all the steps here, but it walked you through the steps and my manual had a decent set of instructions on the extra steps as well.

10 – Once you get the system restarted back to the familiar menu bar, then navigate to the “BACKUP” function again, and then select “RESTORE”.  This again took about 1.5 hours to do.

Hope these help.

Borlaxx
10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Awesome guide Spike! Thanks.

NeloMelo
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM
I've got a 40 gig drive too,need to do this when money not so tight.Can you use one to those small portable HDs?The only thumbdrive I have is 8 gigs.I figure since those are usb that work too.But thanks for info.

johnboy
10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Awesome guide Spike! Thanks.

Spike Forehand
10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I've got a 40 gig drive too,need to do this when money not so tight.Can you use one to those small portable HDs?The only thumbdrive I have is 8 gigs.I figure since those are usb that work too.But thanks for info.

You can use an external hard drive to back up to it and to restore from it (but you have to format it to fat32 as mentioned above). However, you cant run your ps3 from an external drive if thats what youre asking - you'll need an internal notebook drive installed in the PS3 to run the system from.

An alternate method to backing up and restoring your whole drive is to just copy your game saves to a thumb drive (if the PS3 recognizes it) and then just copy those back over after you install the new drive and operating system, but you will then need to re-download any stuff you downloaded from the PSN store or any game updates, etc. Will no doubt take a lot longer that way but it's a viable option if you don't have an external USB drive big enough to handle your whole disk backup.

NeloMelo
10-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for info once again.

Gink
12-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Wish I would have jumped on doing this months ago. Notice how the 250GB drive linked in the first post is now $99? I had my eye on a 500GB that was $55-$60 and is now $110. A few of the big hard drive manufacturing plants got flooded and now all drives are doubled in price :(( I have a feeling I am going to spend a fair amount of xmas day trying to figure out what to delete to make room for new games. At least all the downloaded games can easily be redownloaded at a later time. Hopefully drives go down again soon!

theczech99
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
The PS3 I play on had a 120 GB hard drive. With all the map packs, PSN games, patches and all the other junk my HD was almost full. With me adding on plus I needed more space for all the free games and was tired of using my kids PS3 for the extra storage. I found a 500 GB 2.5 SATA HD on tigerdirect.com for $51. Any purchase over 50 came with free shipping so after tax it was about $54.

Pulling the HD and installing the new one took less than 5 minutes. Maybe another 5 to 7 minutes for installing the OS off the flash drive and initial setup of the PS3. Then I went right into the store and started downloading all the BF3 map packs and reinstalling BF3. I was fully back up and running for BF3 in about 2 hours. After adding on all my DLC I had on my other HD along with several other games I still have right at 400 GB of free space available. This should be enough space to get me by until the next console hits the market. Now I’m going to by a cheap enclosure for my old had so I’ll have an extra 120GB external HD to use.

Tip for Plus Members
Since plus members games will update on their own, I disconnected my CAT6 cable so the games would not update when installing. Then the next day at 4AM all updates were installed during the daily plus update.

TonkaToys
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Good tip, thanks

Black_Out_424
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Great post Spike. just for info a FAT32 format will only be as large as 32GB using windows so THANK YOU SPIKE for the link to a site to get a larger FAT32 drive. I searched all over for a program like this when I did my upgrade to my 1TB from my 120gb. This is GOLD for people. So once again thank you Spike for finding this.

theczech99
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Before I installed the new HD I was constantly having to make room for DLC and updates on my old 120GB HD. After reinstalling a lot of games, downloading all the free +membership games and previously purchased games I decided to check my available free HD space this morning. I have 14 full games downloaded along with a few demos and I still have 314 GB of free space! EPIC WIN!!!

Hopefully all the next gen consoles will come with a 500GB+ HD because it sure makes purchasing games a lot easier. If it wasn’t for my increased space I wouldn’t have purchased The Walking Dead or LBP Karting and those are just from this month. Sony will definitely get more of my money if I have more room for downloadable purchases.

xMisFitToyx
01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Before I installed the new HD I was constantly having to make room for DLC and updates on my old 120GB HD. After reinstalling a lot of games, downloading all the free +membership games and previously purchased games I decided to check my available free HD space this morning. I have 14 full games downloaded along with a few demos and I still have 314 GB of free space! EPIC WIN!!!

Hopefully all the next gen consoles will come with a 500GB+ HD because it sure makes purchasing games a lot easier. If it wasn’t for my increased space I wouldn’t have purchased The Walking Dead or LBP Karting and those are just from this month. Sony will definitely get more of my money if I have more room for downloadable purchases.

I actually had to re-download Payday .... then when I went to play I had to update it .... Think I'm going to have to upgrade my HDD. I had to delete Bioshock 2 from my HDD just so I had enough room for Payday.

theczech99
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I actually had to re-download Payday .... then when I went to play I had to update it .... Think I'm going to have to upgrade my HDD. I had to delete Bioshock 2 from my HDD just so I had enough room for Payday.

$49.99 + free two day shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289

Gink
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
$49.99 + free two day shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289

Nice that HD prices are finally back to normal. I did the upgrade last winter and was only able to get 320GB for $60. Much better than 120GB and should last til next gen, but 500GB for $50 is way better!

xMisFitToyx
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Stopped by Frys tonight (to pick up Office 2010 for my daughter ... it is required for a class she is taking ... 2007 just wasn't good enough for the prof)

Picked up a Western Digital 500GB HD for my PS3. $49.00

Now I just have to find the time to upgrade/install it :tongue:

theczech99
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Stopped by Frys tonight (to pick up Office 2010 for my daughter ... it is required for a class she is taking ... 2007 just wasn't good enough for the prof)

Picked up a Western Digital 500GB HD for my PS3. $49.00

Now I just have to find the time to upgrade/install it :tongue:
If you run the full backup and reinstall you’ll be down for at least half a day with all the games you have. If you and your kid/kids are using the same PS3 but you’re the only one with a + membership you’ll for sure want to run the full HD backup. In my case I’m the only one using my PS3 and my kids have their own. I just backed up all game saves on the cloud; swapped HDs then loaded the OS from a flash drive. The PS3 was ready for gaming in less than 30 min. In the case of playing BF3 you’ll be down longer adding on all the DLC.

If you do choose to just swap HDs like I did remember to always skip the updates when reinstalling any old games. You just install the game, download the game save from the cloud storage and the auto updates will take care of everything else during the daily update. If you don’t pull the save data from the cloud the game will not will updates.

Whatever you choose to do you'll be very happy when you're done and have all the extra space for games and DLC.

xMisFitToyx
01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
If you run the full backup and reinstall you’ll be down for at least half a day with all the games you have. If you and your kid/kids are using the same PS3 but you’re the only one with a + membership you’ll for sure want to run the full HD backup. In my case I’m the only one using my PS3 and my kids have their own. I just backed up all game saves on the cloud; swapped HDs then loaded the OS from a flash drive. The PS3 was ready for gaming in less than 30 min. In the case of playing BF3 you’ll be down longer adding on all the DLC.

If you do choose to just swap HDs like I did remember to always skip the updates when reinstalling any old games. You just install the game, download the game save from the cloud storage and the auto updates will take care of everything else during the daily update. If you don’t pull the save data from the cloud the game will not will updates.

Whatever you choose to do you'll be very happy when you're done and have all the extra space for games and DLC.

Will it do the automatic downloads of DLC's for the games I have or just the updates?

I have a 32GB flash drive that I am going to save the system profiles to. It transfers data faster than the cloud save.

I downloaded the Crysis 3 Beta last night ... then I thought "DOH ... that was a waste of time". :tongue:

theczech99
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Will it do the automatic downloads of DLC's for the games I have or just the updates?

I have a 32GB flash drive that I am going to save the system profiles to. It transfers data faster than the cloud save.

I downloaded the Crysis 3 Beta last night ... then I thought "DOH ... that was a waste of time". :tongue:
Damn I forgot about Crysis 3, I added it yesterday but forgot to download it to my PS3.

The DLC will not update on its own. The best way to add on any DLC is to go into your download section of the store and select the ones you want to add. You can always just let them finish up when you are done playing of the night.

Some games won't transfer over to a flash drive. Before I was setup in my man cave I would transfer saves from my PS3 to my kids' depending on which one I was going to play on. I did come across a few games that the option to save to a FD was blocked and the only option they would give is cloud save. You may not have any games that are blocked but just be aware of this before pulling the HD.

xMisFitToyx
01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Damn I forgot about Crysis 3, I added it yesterday but forgot to download it to my PS3.

The DLC will not update on its own. The best way to add on any DLC is to go into your download section of the store and select the ones you want to add. You can always just let them finish up when you are done playing of the night.

Some games won't transfer over to a flash drive. Before I was setup in my man cave I would transfer saves from my PS3 to my kids' depending on which one I was going to play on. I did come across a few games that the option to save to a FD was blocked and the only option they would give is cloud save. You may not have any games that are blocked but just be aware of this before pulling the HD.

I'll prolly do this tonight ... So as not to interfere with my weekend gaming. :tongue:

xMisFitToyx
02-01-2013, 07:51 AM

I played this for a few rounds last night. I played as assault for 2 rounds and sniper for 1 .... weapons felt great, environments looked awesome, movement was easy ..... I would say this is a very solid beta. If the rest of the MP and SP are like this, I will prolly pick it up.

My PS3 was not letting me save some of my data to the cloud or flashdrive (BF3 was blocked .. I'm going to assume, because they store my info on their servers) ... But, it made me nervous. I have a 500GB external HD at work that I am going to take home and swap my HDD over tonight ... after I backup the entire PS3.

theczech99
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
My PS3 was not letting me save some of my data to the cloud or flashdrive (BF3 was blocked .. I'm going to assume, because they store my info on their servers) ... But, it made me nervous. I have a 500GB external HD at work that I am going to take home and swap my HDD over tonight ... after I backup the entire PS3.
If it is a MP save it should be blocked. It wasn't I could download my MP save and send it to you. It's sad but people actually buy game saves from others just to get platinum trophies. I could email my Dead Space game save to you, then you just save it to your PS3 and boom instant platinum trophy.

xMisFitToyx
02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
If it is a MP save it should be blocked. It wasn't I could download my MP save and send it to you. It's sad but people actually buy game saves from others just to get platinum trophies. I could email my Dead Space game save to you, then you just save it to your PS3 and boom instant platinum trophy.

Here is a Video of the complete HDD Upgrade on the PS3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcSBjGYnPB4

xMisFitToyx
02-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Restoring backup file. Should be ready in a couple of hours.

theczech99
02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Restoring backup file. Should be ready in a couple of hours.

Are you up and running now?

xMisFitToyx
02-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Are you up and running now?

Yes and No

The full system backup does not allow DRM data to be backed up .... this includes all DLC for Battlefield 3 as well as all of the Borderlands 2 DLC.

I am re downloading all of it .... then you have to go to the XMB to install it.

This has been a painful experience ... but, when its done, I'm sure it will have been worth it. :biggrin:

RC-1136
02-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Where do I check how much space I have on me HDD? I just got PS+ and had to delete some stuff so I could download Street Fighter and Guardians of middle earth. I think I might have to upgrade my HDD.

theczech99
02-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Go to the settings and check the system info. It'll show you how much free space is available.

RC-1136
02-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Go to the settings and check the system info. It'll show you how much free space is available.

I found it. I have 22GB of my 120 left. Super Street Fighter 4 was 18 GB. Are most games that large? I don't remember downloading that a game that larger before. I am such an addict for that game. I wasted so much time at the Student Center playing that game in college.

xMisFitToyx
02-11-2013, 08:54 AM
I found it. I have 22GB of my 120 left. Super Street Fighter 4 was 18 GB. Are most games that large? I don't remember downloading that a game that larger before. I am such an addict for that game. I wasted so much time at the Student Center playing that game in college.

No ... That is the largest I have seen. Most are usually 5 to 10 GB (Full Games).

theczech99
02-11-2013, 08:55 AM

Most of the full games like Little Big Planet 2 or Bioshock 2 will take up anywhere between 14 – 20GB of hard drive space. Most of the other games that weren’t full disk games are usually less than 4GB of space.

RC-1136
02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Most of the full games like Little Big Planet 2 or Bioshock 2 will take up anywhere between 14 – 20GB of hard drive space. Most of the other games that weren’t full disk games are usually less than 4GB of space.

I guess I better upgrade my HDD then if I'm going to get more than a couple of more games. Fuck me. Maybe, I'll wait to see what the big announcement is next week before I put anymore money into my PS3.

SouthtownSlayer
04-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the upgrade information, I've been downloading the free PS+ games and well pretty much ran out of space! All the info posted helped me install my new 750gig hard drive! Thanks again!

Black_Out_424
06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Getting this back out there since Spike spent some time on it and it is very helpful. I know several are talking about upgrading their PS3s here so just want you to have the info to do it.