PDA

View Full Version : Green fingered?

Major Stains
10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
As I have just finished the harvest from our little veggie patch, I thought I would post this to see if anyone else grows their own in these tough times.

Here in the UK, it was a great year for berries. Our garden produced masses of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and wild blackberries.
It wasn't great for root veg, such as carrots and beans. I did grow my first butternut squash, and the courgettes were awesome =p~ .
I had a massive haul of tomatoes, and have spent the day making a huge vat of tomato chutney for the winter (livens up my cheese sandwiches).

It would be great if any other MPs posted their harvest throughout the year, and the genius chefs amongst us (you know who you are) can post recipes for it.

If not, no worries. The Team Goat will sure enjoy this post (for dinner)

johnboy
10-23-2011, 05:42 AM
The wife makes a nice butternut squash and ginger soup and I do a brie and courgette soup (It's a nigella recipe) I'll post them both in the recipe section. I promised Meg them ages ago. I don't grow anything apart from what gross on the apple tree but my man had a bumper crop of courgettes, some tomatoes, she has plenty of fruit trees, cherry, apple, plum and pear she has started to grow some strawberries and she picked up some raspberry canes off the widest granda just over the summer. I'm still waiting for some duck eggs from her.

dadafett
10-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Wife and I put a small garden box in the backyard --- cherry and beefsteak tomatoes, cucumbers, snap peas, green beans, leaf lettuce, cantalope, bell peppers and jalapenos were a success. :D -- Not so much, watermelon, celery, cabbage, okra. :(

I also built a small terraced herb and spice planter for the deck -- thai chiles, basil, thai basil, taragon, strawberries,parsley, cilantro, and lavender.

We learned a lot about what grows well next to each other, how to best use the land (it's kind of on a hill), and how the sun affects it too. Next, year will be better --

It's a pretty amazing thing - food really taste fresher and better if it's a result of your hard work... :D

johnboy
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Oh, I forgot. I do have a some thyme and some basil growing and I want to get some more herbs on the go but we are short of space in the house and have a lack of cash (weather and fitness) to get the garden going properly. Thanks for reminding me bud! Both my mother and I have moved house in the past few years, she moved to a house with a nice, well established garden. I moved to a house with an overgrown mess.

dadafett
10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Herb gardens are great -- our first was a window sill box off the kitchen window -- it inspired us to dream bigger ... ;)

LandShark
10-23-2011, 09:20 AM
plant some chili and jalepena pepper plants around bell peppers, youll be surprised.

Major Stains
07-05-2013, 04:15 PM
A bit of an 'old man' thread fired up again.
But here's a splash of colour in the Stains garden.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qjlvza.jpg

Mutt
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Awesome pic Stains! Thanks for sharing.

=T4NUKI=
07-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Being a chef and all, I enjoy growing my own stuff.... we've got apple orchards right in our back yard and we're allowed to pick some once in a while, so that's pretty cool ! Besides that, we've got a huge patch of wild rasberries, 2 cherry trees and tons of wild vines that grows on the side of the house ( the grapes are small and bitter but are eatable ). We also grow lavender, chives, basil, mint, cherry tomatoes, green bell peppers, Jalapenos, green and yellow haricots , zuccinis (wich is always a failliure !) and soy beans. We try to mix it up and not grow always the same stuff each year, but this is usually what we're going for !

Major Stains
07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Being a chef and all, I enjoy growing my own stuff.... we've got apple orchards right in our back yard and we're allowed to pick some once in a while, so that's pretty cool ! Besides that, we've got a huge patch of wild rasberries, 2 cherry trees and tons of wild vines that grows on the side of the house ( the grapes are small and bitter but are eatable ). We also grow lavender, chives, basil, mint, cherry tomatoes, green bell peppers, Jalapenos, green and yellow haricots , zuccinis (wich is always a failliure !) and soy beans. We try to mix it up and not grow always the same stuff each year, but this is usually what we're going for !

Sounds like a bumper crop Jean.
Very nice.... I find the zucchinis are very thirsty and benefit from a good drink every day once they are growing.
Great to see you, hope all is well with you guys.

Major Stains
07-10-2015, 03:18 AM
I knocked up a real tasty Salsa last night using ingredients mostly grown in the back garden.

This year I tried coriander (cilantro) and basil, which have grown like weeds.
Add in tomatoes, some fresh chillies, onion, and garlic, seasoning and you have the freshest side ready to go.

Shame we don't have the climate to grow the limes, so I had to buy them to add some juice for that delicious S American taste.

donhardeone
07-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Woohoo for finding new old threads!

We are taking a break from our box gardening this year. We planted 5 tomato plants near the porch just to have some, but we will get back into it next year. Just too many late frosts this year in our area to deal with. We normally have jalapenos, banana peppers, tomatos, zucchini, squash, bell peppers, watermelons, cantaloupes, and onions.

I am however expanding our herb gardening. We used to do primarily rosemary with some random herbs otherwise. This year we focused on also doing some sage, basil, cilantro, limegrass, mint, thyme, oregano, and tarragan. I think I am enjoying the herb garden more than the fruits and veggies!

Danbo
07-10-2015, 08:01 AM
This year's late summer and late frost stunted most of the things I had growing. My basil and tomatoes are still alive though. The only thing that seems unaffected by that is the thyme. They are pretty hardy. Me luvs my fine herbs.

Major Stains
07-10-2015, 08:29 AM
At the start of the year, I like to arrange all of my herb seeds in alphabetical order.
My wife said how do I find the time.
I said thats easy, its right next to the sage!

:drum:

Psalm
07-10-2015, 08:39 AM
We didn't grow in our raised beds this year, as I like to give them a year off once in a while and fertilize it with our Chicken poop like crazy. Chickens are producing 6 plus eggs a day though.