PDA

View Full Version : Frustration & Rage

oscarthegrouch71
11-17-2011, 06:15 AM
It would appear that I am in the minority of people who really can't get into BF3. I was an average player in BFBC2 but enjoyed the game all the same as I was able to contribute to the overall team effort, but in BF3 I just find myself raging in no time and inevitably quitting the game (see my quit % in my stats).

I just find the game sooooo frustrating. I want to enjoy playing it but I seem to be unable to hit the broadside of a barn with any weapon and end up getting my ass handed to me all of the time. I played a couple of games of team deathmatch on MW3 (I never play COD) the other night and actually found it more enjoyable to play, and I HATE run & gun......

I think I’ll give this game a few more days to prove itself fun otherwise it’s likely to get traded in or at the very least shelved until DICE decide to iron out the kinks and especially sort out the comms. It just seems to me that DICE had a brainstorm one day and then took all the crappy ideas they came up with and included them in the game….
supernova tac lights, 3D spotting (probably seemed a good idea at the time but it seems that most players don’t even bother spotting anymore as there’s no point when it disappears on them moving into cover), health regen on vehicles allowing any class to use them effectively, stingers that don’t take a plane/heli down…. need i go on

Anyway rant over..... :(

TonkaToys
11-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Don't go mate... perhaps it would help if we (Team MP) analysed the maps and results, and came up with some decent tactics.
I know I said TDM doesn't lend itself to tactics, but Conquest and Rush surely do - and we've got some really good players in those modes.
I find myself developing tactics that are customised for each map, and using them again and again. But the main thing is sticking with a squad mate or two, and working together.

I know, I know - I'm preaching to the converted as you are a BC2 player (I was not) but we aren't really knowledge sharing (corporate speak) very well in this group.

oscarthegrouch71
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Tonka - hope to see you on again soon and maybe things will be better for me then....

oscarthegrouch71
11-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Wow. Just reread my first post and I guess I'm living up to my gamertag. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine prior to firing up the PS3 would help.....

xMisFitToyx
11-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Wow. Just reread my first post and I guess I'm living up to my gamertag. Maybe a couple of glasses of wine prior to firing up the PS3 would help.....

Why do you think the XBOX guys/gal are so laid back. :cheers: :drink:

(shamless poke @ the XBOX'ers)

oscarthegrouch71
11-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I had noticed that from various posts I have read in the Xbox threads..... looks like a total change in mindset may help me enjoy the game more. I never thought of myself as a tryhard but maybe I am just a little bit L-)

BusySignal
11-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I can relate Oscar. I haven't turned on BF3 in more than a week I think as I just kept getting my ass handed to me. I was/am a relatively good player in the COD games but this one just isn't working out. I'm not giving it up just taking a break for a bit.

TonkaToys
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I was going to say something about being a bit Grouchy, but thought that might make you even more annoyed! :D

Beano
11-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Oscar there are going to be some changes in the upcoming patches. For one the tac light is being toned down a ton. Another thing that is going to change that many people don't realize is the input lag on the PS3 and that is what I suspect you are having trouble with. I've talked with ellison and he is having the same trouble. See right now on the PS3 there is input lag where you turn your stick and at first you move slowly and then it accelerates. This is how Killzone 3 controls are and a reason many people left the game. I had a lot of trouble with it at first and I find it takes about 1 or 2 games for me to warm up and get a feel for it every time I play. Now with that being said, in an upcoming patch they are going to get rid of this input lag and the aiming is said to be going back to BC2 style. So hopefully that will help out.

Wildbill
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Oscar my only advise for playing this game: Slow down :cheers:

This always helps me when I'm getting creamed. I say it over and over in my head."slow down,slow down"

Sometimes I catch myself saying it out loud too. :))

NeloMelo
11-18-2011, 01:31 PM
I feel like oscar too,sometimes get lucky but most of the time I'm a meat puppet.You know it's pretty bad when your own teammates start to say calm down,which has happened to me.I get so fustrated about getting killed by people I can't see,I'm not talking about snipers or good players just how do I get shot by a regular gun when I'm behind a concrete building.Just stupid stuff like that,I know better players out there,but that damn flashlight just is the most stupid thing,empty clip into it with the crosshairs showing your hitting something but just one shoot from them your dead.Really enjoyed BFBC2 alot more.But I do try to have a beer or 2 before I play anymore just too fustrating.

sureMOE
11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Oscar, I feel your pain! I have the reputation of having the worst potty mouth in this group because of my raging...a reputation that I am trying to break!! I would have to repeat what Beano said, there is something wonky with the input lag on this game. That's what drove me to throwing a controller across the room and breaking it. It sucks! One thing that can help is don't use magnified scopes, only use iron sights, red dots or holo scopes. The magnification seems to make it worse. The other is to take a class that you can get a bunch of points with and try not focusing on killing guys that much. Run as engineer and pepper the maps with mines (use the explosive perk to get 6 mines and 6 RPG rounds per life), run as support and throw out ammo in the middle of a huge fire fight and lay down some heavy suppressive fire, run as Assault and drop med packs and revive, jump in a tank as a gunner or main and just blow crap up. I know that I get awful at this game when I try and keep up with someone or focus on trying to be top on the map. BF is not about K/D, but about how much hurt you can put on the other team through a huge variety of ways. Once you find your play style, you will enjoy it more. I know that I play mostly as engineer because I would rather get less kills, but blow up more tanks with mines or RPGs so that the guys that are on my team that ARE the killing machines can do their jobs. Hope this helps! :cheers:

sureMOE!

Vainn2000
11-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I can sympathize with Groucho and everyone else who feels like they are mere target practise for everyone else. I was an original BF1942 player back when it came out on the PC and was pretty good at it. Bought a ps3 two years ago and downloaded 1943. became a top player of that game for almost two years, saw the video of BF3 and thought "Holy Crap" this game is gorgeous, have to buy it. After loading the game and entering the multiplayer I was thoroughly trounced. I had such a hard time aiming and shooting. Everyone seemed to be able to kill people except me. Luckily driving the tank helped me out a bit. It's only when i get outside and have to fight run and gun style that I become chicken fodder once again.Although I still need a lot of practise.
I agree this game is hard, it frustrates me, makes me yell and scream, curse and swear and yet Ikeep coming back for me.
Really looking forward to playing in a good squad of you guys where we can all help and protect each other.
I have taken a few names done and will start adding you as friends. I am sure once we play together things will improve and if not we can at least all die together.
:)
p.s. sorry Groucho I erased your message by mistake on the ps3 before realizing you were a mp clan member.

TonkaToys
11-20-2011, 05:59 AM
looking forward to playing with you vain.

oscarthegrouch71
11-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys.... was feeling a bit rough this weekend so didn't get on at all. Maybe a few days away will give me a new perspective on the game. Also have read that switching the games resolution from 720 to 576 can help with the input lag, may give this a try although it won't look as nice.

Vainn.... no problem, got your PM and will add you again when I am next on....

Vainn2000
11-21-2011, 07:56 AM
awesome, can't wait to play with some fellow clan members, even if we suck, lol. misery loves company.
I played yesterday for about half hour. Felt like a total noob all over again. tried out a helicopter. all I could do was go up and down. How do you go forward in that thing?
Anybody else fine the striped lines hard to see for the borders.
Bailed out of a Helo but didn't realize I was in the bad zone. Death need less to say came swift!!!
:((

TonkaToys
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
(Vainn, don't forget you are meant to add all the people above you on the Active Players list)

Vainn2000
11-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Yep , slowly adding players as I go along, sorry I add a few then get impatient with the PS3 keyboard input and just want to get in and start playing. Time is in short supply for my wife hogs our big screen TV. hopefully by the end of the week I should have everyone messaged as friends.
Played last night for an hour, saw Curahee11 on and joined him in battle although I didn't see you at all in the game, hoped in a tank as a gunner. only in battlefield can you drive around with someone, kill absolutely no one, and come in 6th. I was right above Curahee who had quite a few kills. I felt embarassed to do so well, lol. ah well , the next map at least I made up for it. At some point I will have to save up for a Mic.

Sup3rman
11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Yep , slowly adding players as I go along, sorry I add a few then get impatient with the PS3 keyboard input and just want to get in and start playing. Time is in short supply for my wife hogs our big screen TV. hopefully by the end of the week I should have everyone messaged as friends.
Played last night for an hour, saw Curahee11 on and joined him in battle although I didn't see you at all in the game, hoped in a tank as a gunner. only in battlefield can you drive around with someone, kill absolutely no one, and come in 6th. I was right above Curahee who had quite a few kills. I felt embarassed to do so well, lol. ah well , the next map at least I made up for it. At some point I will have to save up for a Mic.

Looking forward to many battles with you! :cheers:

oscarthegrouch71
12-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Finally had enough of BF3 - may pick it up again later when DICE have sorted out the comms and other issues. I will be the first to admit that I had my doubts about this game before it even came out and it hasn't even lived up to my low expectations. Happy that most of you guys seem to be enjoying it although I have noticed that the number of MP's playing it seems to have dropped recently - can't tempt any of you back to BC2 can I? :-??

cronam
12-20-2011, 10:00 AM
when bf3 got released i got frustrated and could not play more then 2 matches at a time without falling out with the game. Since i have now got to a higher lvl and unlocked weapons etc i am actually doing ok and getting less stressed with it

oscarthegrouch71
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I hear what you are saying but getting to a higher level it not the issue its about fun - I play to destress at the end of the day and find myself getting even more stressed - thats why I am playing BFBC2 again you get those BFBC2 moments which I don't get in BF3 like flying humvees and mowing people down with an ATV - I find BF3 'too serious'

cronam
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
bc2 is definatly a more laid back game and i still prefer it to bf3

johnnyh1976
12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I've not raged yet, but have been frustrated with my aiming...or lack thereof aiming skills even when having the dot of my sight right under the "mark" from a spotted target at a distance...no hit markers and also when aiming at moving targets I've been having a hard time.

But all in all I enjoy this game a lot.

I actually went back to BC2 for a bit over the weekend to get the platinum star for the M416 and to play a few rounds on the Vietnam maps(Best DLC ever!!!)

theczech99
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Finally had enough of BF3 - may pick it up again later when DICE have sorted out the comms and other issues. I will be the first to admit that I had my doubts about this game before it even came out and it hasn't even lived up to my low expectations. Happy that most of you guys seem to be enjoying it although I have noticed that the number of MP's playing it seems to have dropped recently - can't tempt any of you back to BC2 can I? :-??
Maybe some 1943 if you have that too.

oscarthegrouch71
12-21-2011, 04:41 AM
I do have 1943 but haven't played much of it yet, about half an hour to see what it was all about. Seemed fun, maybe see you on sometime....

Vainn2000
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I agree, I get totally frustrated with this game. I definitely have a love/rage relationship. Love the graphics, hate the machine guns.
I just want my rifle back like in 1943.
1943 is definitely a fun game, this was literally the only game I played on the ps3 for the last two years.
color scheme is gorgeous, easy to spot people, less debris to get stuck on when driving a tank and usually max 3 shots to kill someone.
I'm up for playing theczech99 and Ocarthegrouch71if you guys are interested.
I hate what they did with the wake mapon BF3, Wake is a blast in 1943, especially when starting from the carriers in the boats to get to the island.

I think I am getting old, I prefer a much slower pace used in 1943 than the ones with mondern weapons.