PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

MoreCowBell87
01-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Has anyone looked into this new game? It is multi platform and it looks to be pretty neat. It is a lot of the same old same old with a WoW like art style. There is a free demo out for PS3, 360, and PC.

[yt:36kxie8c]DSwkAkVC9B8[/yt:36kxie8c]

I have played about 20 minutes of the demo so far and I am enjoying it. It is sort of God of War meets World of Warcraft (only single player though), with a more DA type story.

Anyone?

Borlaxx
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Dude, I have barely scratched the surface of Skyrim, and have only played a couple hours of Mass Effect 2. I refuse to check out any more role playing games for a LONG time. @-)

Retro
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Dude, I have barely scratched the surface of Skyrim, and have only played a couple hours of Mass Effect 2. I refuse to check out any more role playing games for a LONG time. @-)
BBBBBBBBBBBut Mass Effect 3 comes out in March!

MoreCowBell87
01-23-2012, 05:35 PM
AAAAAAAAAnd Kindoms of Amalur comes out "sometime in 2012" lol

MoreCowBell87
01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Here is a link to the interview that was on the last episode of The final Score where they interview Curt Schilling who is a head of 38 studios the developer. The last 30 minutes of the podcast is the interview.

http://finalscoreshow.com/

Ped__Xing
01-31-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm seriously thinking of pre-ordering this on amazon since I'm finishing up on skyrim. The weapons look awesome (chakram and faeblade) It says coming out in about a week! :-o more downtime from BF3???

MoreCowBell87
01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm seriously thinking of pre-ordering this on amazon since I'm finishing up on skyrim. The weapons look awesome (chakram and faeblade) It says coming out in about a week! :-o more downtime from BF3???

Don't know if I'll be able to preorder but I will get it soon after release. Have you played the demo?

Ped__Xing
02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Don't know if I'll be able to preorder but I will get it soon after release. Have you played the demo?

Yes I have. There's sneak insta-kills! There are more variations to attacks compared to Skyrim. I know it's hard not to compare it to Skyrim. I would say it's like God of War controls meets Fable.

I just pre-ordered it for $44.99 at newegg also at toys r us. I'm a sucker #-o

MoreCowBell87
02-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Yes I have. There's sneak insta-kills! There are more variations to attacks compared to Skyrim. I know it's hard not to compare it to Skyrim. I would say it's like God of War controls meets Fable.

I just pre-ordered it for $44.99 at newegg also at toys r us. I'm a sucker #-o

Lol I'm a sucker to and I'm going to pre order it tonight.

I listened to an interview with Kurt Schiling the other day. He said that the RPG is going to blend with an MMORPG that will come out in a year or so. Any interest?

Also, I am going to bring it up on Old Noobs this week.

Ped__Xing
02-03-2012, 05:53 AM
MMORPG? Did he say pvp or pve? It would be nice to bring the character we make over to the mmorpg side. Where did you end up pre-ordering from? Got taxed by newegg but still saved a couple of bucks :party:

Lol I'm a sucker to and I'm going to pre order it tonight.

I listened to an interview with Kurt Schiling the other day. He said that the RPG is going to blend with an MMORPG that will come out in a year or so. Any interest?

Also, I am going to bring it up on Old Noobs this week.

Borlaxx
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
This game got a really good review from IGN. 9/10. They said the story is A LOT better than Skyrim and is very well written (if a bit too complex to follow at times) because it is written by one of my favorite authors, R.A. Salvatore who wrote all the D&D books with the dark elf Drizzt, one of my favorite characters of all time and my namesake in Skyrim and my current site avatar. That got me really interested immediately. Apparently the voice acting is also very good and leaps and bounds beyond Skyrim (which I do agree has pretty bad voice acting at times and too many characters who are obviously voiced by the same person in the exact same voice). They also said the combat is a lot more action based and fluid than other RPGs like Skyrim. Although it isn't quite as much of an open world like Skyrim, you can still do stuff in the order you want and the main quest takes about 20 hours but all the optional stuff can apparently easily take another 100+ hours. I'm not going to pick this game up any time soon as I still have a lot left to get out of Skyrim and then need to finish Mass Effect 2, but this is a game I hope to own some day, maybe for Christmas this year.

RC-1136
02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
RA Salvatore also wrote some very good Star Wars Novels as well. I played a little of the Demo last night and it is fun. The combat is fast and action packed. The characters are super customizable. I would like to get into a game like this, but I don't think I have the time to really get into an RPG like this. I only have an hour or 2 to game a night. I have OCD when it comes to leveling up characters and completing quests. I can see myself getting completely obsessed with a game like this where that is all I think about all day. I'm still having fun with my FPS's on the PS3 and the SP in Gears of War 1 now on the XBOX. Not sure if I really want to get hooked into a RPG like this.

SouthtownSlayer
02-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I downloaded it a couple of days ago and didn't get a chance to play the demo quite yet. Now that I know that R.A. Salvatore has his hands in this game I am definitely going to try it out tonight. I enjoyed all reading his books and will probably like the story-line of this game.

MoreCowBell87
02-16-2012, 08:51 AM
I should be getting this tonight. Anyone who has been playing it, how's it holding it up?

LandShark
02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
all consoles?

TheFreak75
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I want to play this game?

MoreCowBell87
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
all consoles?

I believe ps3 and Xbox

Ped__Xing
02-17-2012, 03:12 AM
I should be getting this tonight. Anyone who has been playing it, how's it holding it up?

holding up pretty good since release date. the fights are more involved with the different combos that you can pull off. there is A LOT to do and I'm already sidetracked with the different side missions and faction missions. we'll see how long i'm stuck on it but overall i'm happy with the 45 bucks i spent on it :D

Borlaxx
02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Downloaded this for $20 since I was in the mood to play an RPG again after finishing Dragon's Dogma. So far I really, really, like it. I'm only a couple hours in but I can already see there is going to be a ton of depth to the leveling and combat system, as well as zillions of quests to do. Barely have anything unlocked yet but the combat system looks really varied and fun. The art style, while a little "cartoonish," is really cool and feels like its own world. The third-person view is a little awkward at first, but I am getting used to it and learning how to best move the camera.

Not far enough into the game yet to get a real grasp on how good the story will be, but I can already tell the voice acting is SOOOO much better than Skyrim. That was my biggest issue with Skyrim, the fact that there were relatively few voice actors giving the exact same voice to multiple characters, which ruined the immersion and seemed like just lazy development.

Can't wait to sink a huge chunk of time into this game.

HardlyCapable13
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Downloaded this for $20 since I was in the mood to play an RPG again after finishing Dragon's Dogma. So far I really, really, like it. I'm only a couple hours in but I can already see there is going to be a ton of depth to the leveling and combat system, as well as zillions of quests to do. Barely have anything unlocked yet but the combat system looks really varied and fun. The art style, while a little "cartoonish," is really cool and feels like its own world. The third-person view is a little awkward at first, but I am getting used to it and learning how to best move the camera.

Not far enough into the game yet to get a real grasp on how good the story will be, but I can already tell the voice acting is SOOOO much better than Skyrim. That was my biggest issue with Skyrim, the fact that there were relatively few voice actors giving the exact same voice to multiple characters, which ruined the immersion and seemed like just lazy development.

I need to give this one another chance. I tried it when it first was released but for some reason couldn't get into it. Same with Dragons Dogma.

Gink
02-04-2014, 03:35 PM

How do you like it vs Dragon's Dogma?
The wife was playing it while I was playing Dogma. They both seemed fun, but I enjoyed the darker ambiance of Dogma, while watching her play Amalur it seemed less "serious" if that makes sense. I never figured out what she was doing with the levelling and such, but it looked fairly complex. Dogma's systems were hard to figure out at first, but weren't nearly as complex as they initially seemed once I had it down.

Borlaxx
02-09-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm about 15 hours in and I'm absolutely enthralled. Still early, but this may end up being my fav open world RPG even over Skyrim.

The combat system is the most fluid and fun I have ever experienced in an RPG. Only Chrono Trigger tops it in terms of pushing the boundaries for its time. Your leveling is completely customizable, enabling you to pick skills from the warrior, rogue, and mage skills together. Then the movement itself is very fluid but takes percision and isn't a button masher at all. Being able to attack enemies at range with a magic wand, smash them with a hammer when they move in close, block and stun one when it attacks, dodge out of the way of the next attack, and then finish them off when a area effect spell as smoothly as playing a game like God of War is freaking awesome.

Then add to that an original art style, awesome voice acting, moral choices like Dragon Age, creation abilities like blacksmithing and potion making as well as the ability to own homes, join factions, and do TONS of sidequests like in Skyrim, all on top of a great story with fantastic lore written by a prolific fantasy author, and you have a recipe for an amazing game. It also doesn't have the glitches of those games either, at least in my experience.

It's like they took the best aspects of other RPGs and put it in top of a combat system that puts many action games to shame. I love it. It sucks the dev went under. I hope someone picks up the IP and continues it.

Gink
02-09-2014, 02:54 PM
I'm about 15 hours in and I'm absolutely enthralled. Still early, but this may end up being my fav open world RPG even over Skyrim.

The combat system is the most fluid and fun I have ever experienced in an RPG. Only Chrono Trigger tops it in terms of pushing the boundaries for its time. Your leveling is completely customizable, enabling you to pick skills from the warrior, rogue, and mage skills together. Then the movement itself is very fluid but takes percision and isn't a button masher at all. Being able to attack enemies at range with a magic wand, smash them with a hammer when they move in close, block and stun one when it attacks, dodge out of the way of the next attack, and then finish them off when a area effect spell as smoothly as playing a game like God of War is freaking awesome.

Then add to that an original art style, awesome voice acting, moral choices like Dragon Age, creation abilities like blacksmithing and potion making as well as the ability to own homes, join factions, and do TONS of sidequests like in Skyrim, all on top of a great story with fantastic lore written by a prolific fantasy author, and you have a recipe for an amazing game. It also doesn't have the glitches of those games either, at least in my experience.

It's like they took the best aspects of other RPGs and put it in top of a combat system that puts many action games to shame. I love it. It sucks the dev went under. I hope someone picks up the IP and continues it.

Nice writeup! I'll have to start this one next time I get another fantasy RPG craving, though still have a bit of Dogma to finish and a fair amount of Ni No Kuni. But I've moved on to an action and shooter kick for now.

HardlyCapable13
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Downloading this now.