PDA

View Full Version : Any runners out there?

donhardeone
02-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Am I the only "idiot" on here that runs for pleasure? I travel around the Southeast running races (5K up to marathon) and would be willing to travel elsewhere in the US on occassion if the run seemed cool...it'd be a pretty good excuse to meet some of you in person.

Madlob75
02-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I run a bit. I have a 10K coming up in March, and a friend of mine is trying to talk me into a marathon. Not sure I have the time (or mental instability) to train for one though. Think I stick with the half.

donhardeone
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
I run a bit. I have a 10K coming up in March, and a friend of mine is trying to talk me into a marathon. Not sure I have the time (or mental instability) to train for one though. Think I stick with the half.

I actually just ran my first marathon relay yesterday, which was prob the most fun I've had running a race in a long time. Splits up the marathon into typically 5 legs of 5-6 miles each and you can split that among 2-5 people. Worth looking into if you have a few other runners willing to participate in one with you.

cubizzle
03-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I've run a few dozen half marathons and the Chicago marathon once. I have run in a little over a year though and I'm really trying to get back into the swing. I would like to do the Madison, WI mini (half) this year in August.

Psalm
03-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm trying to get back into it. I have run around 15 or so different Marathons...Going to try and run the Kansas City Marathon this fall.

Madlob75
03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I signed my daughters up for a fun run and kids mile this weekend. This was the first race for both of them, so they were both excited. My 3yo ran the fun run (about 200yds) and did really well. When she crossed the finish line I picked her up and her first words were, "I passed someone!" (She has a little competitive streak in her). My 7yo ran in the kid's mile, and that did not go so well. The course was around a block, basically a big rectangle. At the start of the race, my wife and 3yo made our way to last turn to see her in. We waited, and waited.....and waited. Finally I walked up the course to see if I could see her and was met by a guy on a bike saying he was behind the last runner (not my daughter). Needless to say, panic set in as we sought out a race official. We were told that a few kids dropped out and some were hurt and were back at the finish line. When we got to the finish line, she was not there either. There was, however, some poor volunteer that got the full brunt of my, at this point, anger and calmly directed us to another area where she was. She was safe and with race officials, but was pretty shook up when we weren't there. Apparently, before the first corner, she was run over by a mom with a jogging stroller. The lady helped her up and kept running, leaving my daughter with scraped and bleeding elbows and knees, (hope her kid got a good time!). Definitely running with her next time as a body guard.

donhardeone
03-05-2012, 01:31 PM
My 3yo ran the fun run (about 200yds) and did really well. When she crossed the finish line I picked her up and her first words were, "I passed someone!" (She has a little competitive streak in her).

LOVE the competitive streak...that's just funny. :))

My 7yo ran in the kid's mile, and that did not go so well...before the first corner, she was run over by a mom with a jogging stroller. The lady helped her up and kept running, leaving my daughter with scraped and bleeding elbows and knees, (hope her kid got a good time!).

I should be shocked by this, but there has always been something quite dangerous about a mother and her jogging stroller. My daughter would have been walking around with me trying to ID the stroller followed by a "why don't you go sit with mom while daddy handles soemthing real quick." :devil:

roadrnr
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Am I the only "idiot" on here that runs for pleasure? I travel around the Southeast running races (5K up to marathon) and would be willing to travel elsewhere in the US on occassion if the run seemed cool...it'd be a pretty good excuse to meet some of you in person.

meep meep? wait..not roadrnr =))

The only time I run is if someone is chasing me....but that's just me :D

dadafett
03-05-2012, 07:53 PM
In the past, I've done the Army ten miler in DC five years running now (next one in Oct) -- & the Great Aloha Run (approx 7.5 miles) -- and this Sep I am trying something new -- a Tough Mudder in Northern VA. It's 12 miles with 20 something obstacles mixed in. Looking forward to everything, but the 10,000 volt obstacle. :-? :-\ :(( :-" ;)

Here's an example ---

[yt:31vu7n8j]trIzWh4ICH0[/yt:31vu7n8j]

:-ss @-) :-ss --