PDA

View Full Version : London Olympics 2012

Major Stains
05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
[attachment=0:1ymhn6ct]london-2012-olympics-logo.jpg[/attachment:1ymhn6ct]

Official London 2012 website (http://www.london2012.com/)

Olympic schedule (http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/)

I thought I would start this thread to share any Olympic stories.

As the torch makes its way around Greece, we are expecting it to touch down in Cornwall on Saturday.
It is coming to our city on Sunday, so we are hoping to see it pass through.

Tonight, I took my eldest to an exhibition of banners that all the local schools have done for the Olympics.
They looked amazing against the backdrop of the Cathedral. Theirs was the middle one! He was very proud.

[attachment=2:1ymhn6ct]Olympic banners.jpg[/attachment:1ymhn6ct]

[attachment=1:1ymhn6ct]Isaacs banner.jpg[/attachment:1ymhn6ct]

(I am desperately trying to see the games through my 7y/o's eyes, with all its wonder and spirit.
But still struggle to fathom the 11 billion that is coming out of the public purse in these tough economic times.)
*Edit. Don't get me wrong, I do love what the games represent and cannot wait for the nation to get behind them on this special year.
Its when I speak to friends in the London Transport Police and the Met, they confirm the misuse of various funding for the games!
I will mention here the massive voluntary campaign involved in the games. My Uncle is helping organise the transport for the Athletes to and from the airports. Along with thousands of other volunteers.

Heres to a peaceful Games...

Retro
05-16-2012, 02:38 PM
I love the Olympics, money be damned. I literally shut down while the Olympics are going on, can't get enough.

LandShark
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
LOve the olympics!!

xMisFitToyx
05-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm a big Olympic fan as well ... I favor the Winter Olympics, but I still like the Summer Olympics.

During the 1996 Olympics that were held in Atlanta, I worked in downtown Atlanta. The Olympic organizers were warning of massive traffic problems due to so many events being held in and around Atlanta. I guess that everyone (but me) took heed of the warnings, because that was the easiest month of driving downtown every day I had ever had. No one else was on the roads. :))

=T4NUKI=
05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
I too am an Olympics fan !
It is sort of a tradition we have, my wife and I, to turn into couch potatoes during the olympics !
unfortunately, there's never enough fencing on tv so I have to check it out on the computer...but that'll teach me to practice an unpopular sport !!!

Here's to great games !

johnboy
05-16-2012, 08:49 PM
I absolutely love the Olympics, I don't know how much I'm going to be able to watch as the boys love their cartoons and it's about the only thing I can do to keep them quiet of an afternoon, and if this spring and last summer is anything to go by weather wise, we'll be spending a lot of time indoors. The Olympic torch relay is actually coming to my little town the day after my birthday and on my birthday England play Sweden in the European Championships, so it will be a busy couple of days. Got to take the boys to see the torch relay as it could be the only time in our lives that we get to see something like that. There are so many people complaining about the Olympics and I really wish they would have some pride and realise that we are lucky enough to be able to host them especially in the Queens diamond jubilee year too. It could be the last time for a very long time that we get to host the Olympics in the UK, especially as London will be the only city to have hosted them 3 times.

dadafett
05-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I love the games too; nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and where you are from, and the values and ideals are universal. Enjoy this summer for you MPeeps on that side of the pond. Hopefully NY/DC will get them in the future.

@Stains --- great banners, by all means live in the moment and create those memories that your family will have for a lifetime.

TonkaToys
05-17-2012, 08:15 AM
I am so looking forward to this that you cannot believe it. Forget the kids being excited, I'm the one that needs the chill pill.

Did anyone else get any tickets? So far I'm going to see Tae Kwon Do, some Paralympics stadium events and... the fencing!

unfortunately, there's never enough fencing on tv so I have to check it out on the computer...but that'll teach me to practice an unpopular sport !!!

I'm an ex-fencer myself too! Haven't done it for 10 years or so and I'm not sure the knees would take it any more.

What I'm also looking forward to is that various nations are setting up what they call "Olympic Country Houses (http://www.bii.org/topical/2012_olympics)" around London, where you can go to watch the games along with fans of that nation. So the Dutch have a Heineken sponsored country house in Alexandra Palace (one of the highest spots around London) and the Brazilians are serving cocktails!
:cheers:

Major Stains
05-18-2012, 01:57 PM
*Update*

Its official, David Beckham has just brought the flame onto British soil...

70 days to go...

xMisFitToyx
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
I always loved to hear this when I was younger (still do) ... Enjoy

[yt:126l7yj6]6bXy72_4X8w[/yt:126l7yj6]

johnboy
05-18-2012, 03:58 PM
*Update*

70 days to go...

70 days... isn't it like a 2 day journey around england! 8-}

United Kingdom :p

On it's 70 day journey
The Olympic Flame will come within 10 miles of 95% of people in the UK, Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey. It will enable local communities to shine a light on the best their area has to offer including celebrations of local culture, breathtaking landscapes and dynamic urban areas
Sometimes it pays to live in a small country :D and it will actually pass within 3 minutes walk of my house! :p Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Major Stains
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
*Update*

70 days to go...

70 days... isn't it like a 2 day journey around england! 8-}

Yup. It's taking 70 days because our very fastest athletes are carrying it!!! ;) :))

Joking aside, I'm hoping for a home side advantage so we can snaffle a few medals off you crazy skilled Western brethren.
I reckon we will perform well in the pools this year, not too sure about track & field though!

dadafett
05-18-2012, 08:09 PM
@Stains --- Pics of the torch on Sunday or it didn't happen -- puh-lease... :D :D :D

Major Stains
05-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Pics as promised from the South West

My good friend in Cornwall got one up on me by knowing one of the runners...
[attachment=2:12g3mhe5]Moose.jpg[/attachment:12g3mhe5]

Muse ran it through their home town...
[attachment=1:12g3mhe5]Muse.jpg[/attachment:12g3mhe5]

And finally, my crappy pic of the torch running by (1st pic was of a policemans arm!)...
[attachment=0:12g3mhe5]Exeter relay.jpg[/attachment:12g3mhe5]

On a side note, there are 8000 runners all given their own torch with the option to purchase it for 250.
I have seen the first one go on Ebay for 7900!!! :-o

Major Stains
05-20-2012, 02:55 PM
It was a great day in the City with lots going on.
I think my eldest enjoyed the 6th Battalion Rifles Blues Band and all the Bike Cops more than the torch!!!

[attachment=1:ud6e286j]Exeter Quay.jpg[/attachment:ud6e286j]

[attachment=0:ud6e286j]6th battalion blues.jpg[/attachment:ud6e286j]

dadafett
05-20-2012, 03:41 PM
@Stains --- Awesome pics, the lifelong memories will endure long after the games have ended... looks like the weather blessed you too. B-) :D B-)

johnboy
05-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Great pics mate, I think we may have forgotten about it by the time it gets up here. Nothing happening in our little town on the day, bit disappointed about that and even though they are having a pit stop it won't be on display. Whoever it is have ignored any communication from the Town Council for us to be able to have any type of celebration while it's here :( I'll try to at least get some pics as it's on the way through. Was going to try and get through to Newcastle but it's my birthday that day and I'm probably going to have to do school run as it's a normal school day and we play in the Euro's on the night, got to watch lads stuff Sweden.

Major Stains
05-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Here's a funny thing.
I had to go to the bank today, as I got out of the van I noticed a man over the road with a peculiar shaped bag.
He was talking to a friend with a huge smile on his face as he revealed the contents.

Not one to pass a photo opportunity, I ran over and got this beauty...

[spoiler:zl3grt7w][attachment=0:zl3grt7w]2012 Olympic Torch.jpg[/attachment:zl3grt7w][/spoiler:zl3grt7w]

Happy as a pig in shit... :D

johnboy
05-22-2012, 01:51 PM
WOW! That is all.

Major Stains
07-26-2012, 01:04 AM
So with 2 days until the opening ceremony, the football matches started things off without all the fanfare.
And what happens? The North Korean female football team are shown with the South Korean flag!! Whoops, what a mistaker-to-maker...:bowl:

Retro
07-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm so pumped for this! :rockon (2):

tweety
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Love the olympics!:usa:

Major Stains
07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Any of you guys over the pond taking an early finish to catch Danny Boyles 27 million opening show?
I hope to God some nut job doesn't try to ruin the games, mind you they must be expecting it as several buildings in the area have S.A.M. Turrets deployed!
What has this world come to?

Anyhoo...here's to a fantastic games

Retro
07-26-2012, 01:59 PM
I will be watching.

Major Stains
07-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Time to name your favourite Olympian...for me its Jennifer oh Jenni.

Major Stains
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
So they spend 400000 to come up with a logo of Bart & Lisa doing rude things...

SouthtownSlayer
07-27-2012, 03:46 PM

I'm a Lolo Jones fanatic, hope she wins gold!!

Major Stains
07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm a Lolo Jones fanatic, hope she wins gold!!

Just googled Lolo Jones...is it too late to change my mind? MmMmmm

dadafett
07-27-2012, 05:36 PM

I gonna go USA all the way --- Lolo Jones --- wife knows she is on the list --- you know the one where if Lolo just happens to be in the neighborhood and rings our doorbell...:angel:

tweety
07-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Lola Jones is a angel, pure as the driven snow:usa2:

tweety
07-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Go Michael Phelps!:cheer2:

johnboy
07-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I hope for those that saw it that you all enjoyed our opening ceremony. As well as the whole of Team GB I will be supporting the 3 athletes competing for them from my tiny little town! I hope no matter where you're from you will wish them all the best too.

Major Stains
07-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Call me fickle, but I have a new contender for no.1 olympian...

Marketa

tweety
07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
I have a new favorite contender, Ryan Lochte:smokin:hot.

TonkaToys
07-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Had fun at the fencing today - even sat next to a French Olympian for a bit (after he got knocked out of the competition).

- Can't upload photos at the moment, exceeded my limit or something.

austin
07-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Gentlemen, may I present Australia's Michelle Jenneke

If you want a smile - watch this from Junior World Games Barcelona 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcCGd9zid8

OOPS, she didnt qualify for London 2012

Major Stains
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Ding Dong....cheers Austin, the list grows longer:biggrin1:

dadafett
07-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Why stop at one?

I present the beautiful Dutch Field Hockey girls:

>> site says I have exceeded my attachment limit, so here is a link<<

http://blog.sfgate.com/olympics/2012/07/29/dutch-field-hockey-gains-worldwide-attention-for-reasons-beyond-field-hockey-photo-gallery/

Major Stains
07-31-2012, 01:53 PM
I feel responsible for lowering the tone of this topic.
But great finds there fellas:becky:
@Dre, I wear those light blue shorts at work! Shows of my builders bum a treat:eek:

Major Stains
08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Your Olympic Body match (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139)

I was most like US 400m hurdler Kerron Clement...chuffed with that!

TonkaToys
08-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Ha ha you beat me to posting this (because you have the body of an olympic hurdler)!

I look like Alexianne Castel (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/athletes/b18e8960-973b-4de7-b62b-97ffc0cf6cb6), the French female swimmer. :biggrin: not that I'm trying to drop the tone again...

http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2010/12/17/lire_aussi_sport24_437441_7519229_8_fre-FR.jpg

Also check out the Global Fat Scale calculator (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328)...

I'm from Mauritania apparently!

Go Mauritania currently with 0 olympic medals! :first:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/07/03/timestopics/topics_mauritania_flag_190.jpg

sam007
08-24-2012, 02:04 PM
http://thefw.com/olympic-diving-funny-faces/

Who's got photoshop? put in a piece of turd on those pictures, it would be gross and funny at the same time. :laugh:

Major Stains
08-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Man, I was close to tears for most of the Olympics.
The Paralympics will just about finish me off.
Not only are they pushing themselves to the human limit of physical fitness, but also overcoming huge adversity.

Here's to a fantastic Paralympic games. :cheer2:

Retro
08-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Also check out the Global Fat Scale calculator (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328)...

I'm from Mauritania apparently!

BMI is completely false and not accurate at all.

TonkaToys
09-01-2012, 05:29 PM
I know, I know; BMI has been proven to be false, but it's still an interesting app.

Anyway, I second Major's sentiments and am going to the Paralympic Stadium tomorrow to see some incredible athletes in action.
I hear that NBC aren't showing the Paralympics live over in the States, but are having some sort of compendium after the event?

donhardeone
09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Due to the stupidity of American cable, watching the Paralympics was difficult at times...but what I was able to catch online was awe-inspiring To all the London-dwelling MPs (since all you Brits live in London, right?), thanks for what looks on our end like an amazingly well-hosted Olympics and Paralympics.

Madlob75
12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

She's back and hotter than EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9J2oJjjd4

Major Stains
12-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Christmas just came early in the Stains house...thanks Madlob ;)