PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Wii Again

Borlaxx
05-28-2012, 08:51 AM
My dad has agreed to let me borrow his Wii (that sounds wrong) since he hasn't even turned it on in over 2 years (hope it works). I don't believe he has any online games for it, and I am not in a position to buy anything for it now, but maybe will get Mario Kart of something later. Would get a COD game to play with you all, but sounds like the hacking is out of control and I don't have a headset that would work with the Wii (still have a PC headset I could use for skype).

Major Stains
05-28-2012, 02:37 PM
If my memory serves me, you are quite the Mariokart Master.
Just give us the nod when you get a copy...game on B-)

PS if you see a game called 'Conduit', do NOT buy it :-" ;)

johnboy
05-29-2012, 07:44 AM
I'd be quite happy to get some Mario Kart on, not played it frequently so I'm not great but I still haven't had a chance to get any races in with MPs. I'm up for some Skype if you want Nate x 2.

Borlaxx
05-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Mario Kart will likely be my first game I pick back up, followed by either a COD game or Smash Bros. Also thinking about the new Zelda, although that would require the motion plus. Eventually I would like to get the component cable for my HD tv as well. I remember that making a big difference before.

Law
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Mario Kart will likely be my first game I pick back up, followed by either a COD game or Smash Bros. Also thinking about the new Zelda, although that would require the motion plus. Eventually I would like to get the component cable for my HD tv as well. I remember that making a big difference before.

You should get Modern Warfare Reflex. I've been playing it over the last few days and I didn't see any hackers. They may have though I was hacking because of the ass whooping I dished out!

Borlaxx
06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
I think I am going to skip getting any FPS on Wii. I have more on PS3 than I normally play, and (sorry) FPS games are better on PS3 compared to Wii (even IMO the controls -- not in love with wii remote pointing for FPS any more).

Danbo
06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I think I am going to skip getting any FPS on Wii. I have more on PS3 than I normally play, and (sorry) FPS games are better on PS3 compared to Wii (even IMO the controls -- not in love with wii remote pointing for FPS any more).

I'll respectably disagree with that ;) Wiimote aiming is the much closer to natural aiming than the PS3 or 360. Although I'll admit that if you're not set up properly(mote sensitivity, deadzone, turn speed), the wiimote can be a pain in the A$$. Once it's setup right, you can be deadly and not sweat a single second.

Borlaxx
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I'll respectably disagree with that ;) Wiimote aiming is the much closer to natural aiming than the PS3 or 360. Although I'll admit that if you're not set up properly(mote sensitivity, deadzone, turn speed), the wiimote can be a pain in the A$$. Once it's setup right, you can be deadly and not sweat a single second.
I used to feel the same way, but not any more. When I first switched from Wii to PS3 it took me awhile to get used to the PS3 sticks for aiming, but once I spent some time it became second nature and now I can aim anywhere I want instantly without thinking about it at all. Aiming on the Wii is certainly more intuitive and easier at first, but once you train your brain to use the dual sticks it is much more responsive and accurate, at least from my experience.

The sticks, from my experience, allow for much more accurate aiming (especially fine tuning aim for distance) since the cross hair stays dead-center at all time, turning is a lot more precise and responsive without having to move the pointer into the deadzone to turn (which also throws off your aim), holding a wii remote for prolonged periods of time is a lot less comfortable than holding a traditional controller (I would have to sit in a chair with an arm rest or my arm would get fatigued very quickly from holding out the remote), and access to all the needed buttons is WAY easier on a standard controller than the combo of wii remote and nunchuck.

Don't get me wrong, there is still something cool about pointing the remote at the screen like a gun, but from my experience (and the experience of most people who made the switch from Wii to another system), a standard controller offers much more precise control and a higher level of comfort. This is coming from a guy who used to destroy people on the Wii FPS games, and does average at best on PS3 FPS games, but has come to the realization that is because the skill level of the average FPS player on the PS3 is generally much higher than those on the Wii, and not because the Wii had better controls.

Danbo
06-19-2012, 03:05 PM
In real life, people aren't precise unless they are skilled at aiming:) I guess what I am trying to say is that it replicates one's natural talent for aiming...

Borlaxx
06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
In real life, people aren't precise unless they are skilled at aiming:) I guess what I am trying to say is that it replicates one's natural talent for aiming...
I understand that, but in my experience even that isn't exactly accurate. Yes, I can move around the cross hair on the screen in a Wii game, but I have used a wii on three different TV sets, and never once did the cross hair appear on screen exactly where I was aiming. If I would point the remote at the screen, and look down it like I was looking down the site on a gun, the crosshair would never appear exactly where I was aiming. It would always be at least a little off. Not a big deal since most people probably don't "aim" down the remote when looking at the screen, but it does negate the whole "I'm actually aiming" argument, because all you are really doing is using a different method to move the cross hair around on the screen. Perhaps if you had the perfect sized TV and stood at exactly the right distance away from the screen then you could actually aim down the remote, but that was never the case in my experience and the experience of most other people.

Still, to each their own, and if the Wii U has one thing going for it, it is that people will have options on what control method they go with. Once people using the classic pro controller for Wii U and the motion controls are playing the same FPS against each other, that will be the definitive test of which method works better.

Danbo
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Can't hardly wait ;) Already got 100$ set aside for the Wii U...Should have the rest by August!

johnboy
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM
By August? Bit quick off the mark aren't you? Wii still don't have a confirmed release date yet, do Wii?

Psalm
06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
I understand that, but in my experience even that isn't exactly accurate. Yes, I can move around the cross hair on the screen in a Wii game, but I have used a wii on three different TV sets, and never once did the cross hair appear on screen exactly where I was aiming. If I would point the remote at the screen, and look down it like I was looking down the site on a gun, the crosshair would never appear exactly where I was aiming. It would always be at least a little off. Not a big deal since most people probably don't "aim" down the remote when looking at the screen, but it does negate the whole "I'm actually aiming" argument, because all you are really doing is using a different method to move the cross hair around on the screen. Perhaps if you had the perfect sized TV and stood at exactly the right distance away from the screen then you could actually aim down the remote, but that was never the case in my experience and the experience of most other people.

Still, to each their own, and if the Wii U has one thing going for it, it is that people will have options on what control method they go with. Once people using the classic pro controller for Wii U and the motion controls are playing the same FPS against each other, that will be the definitive test of which method works better.
Actually. I think they are now... isn't MW3 CPC capable?

Retro
06-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah, sorry but that's not true at all. The Wiimote is terrible for replicating a persons aiming ability.

Major Stains
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't say it would replicate true aiming ability, but it has to be the best option of this generation of consoles for replicating the aiming 'motion'.
I must be lucky to have a tv at the right distance etc because my zapper has always been bob-on the crosshairs.
Having spent a lot of time on the PS1/2 and quite a while on friends HD consoles, I have no doubt that you lose that sharp 'snap to aim' on the zapper that you get with a dual stick. But I have to admit, I've had a shit load of fun aiming with the looser style of the zapper over the years.

I can't comment on my aiming ability in real life as I've only fired shotguns/ crossbows/ and longbows.
And I seemed to hit everything then :devil:
(I doubt I would be too handy after running 10 clicks under fire with sweat and piss pouring from my shaking body!)