PDA

View Full Version : Music Festivals

HardlyCapable13
09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
I love music. I really love seeing live music (although I've noticed interest in going to shows declining as I get older). As a teenager I would hit the Warped Tour every year (back before it turned all girly).

One of my childhood friends, who I still keep in contact, lives in San Antonio. Every March I fly down and we head up to Austin to attend the South by Southwest Music festival. It is an amazing experience and I've seen some great bands, and discovered even more.

This November I'm off to Austin again to check out the FunFunFun Fest. It's in it's 7th year, and is a 3 day indy music fest. There are 3 seperate stages focusing on different types of music. Bands I'm looking forward to seeing:

Off!
Lagwagon
Fucked Up
Wavves
Napalm Death
Baroness
Japandroids
Superchunk

...and more that I'm probably forgetting.

One of the best festivals I've been to was the Vans Triple Crown of Surfing tour in Hawaii (can't remember year). Included Pennywise, Nofx, No Use for a Name, Lagwagon, and Suicidal Tendencies (and a bunch of others I can't remember). Amazing show right on the beach of the North Shore.

What are some of the great music festivals you've been to?

=T4NUKI=
09-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I've been to some Lollapallozas in the 90s, more Warped Tours during the 2000s and now in the 10s, I just love Osheaga ! (all in Montreal, Qc, Canada !)
I often go to Boston, Toronto or NYC to check out some of fave bands !

Spike Forehand
09-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Went to SXSW last year -it was awesome and I'll def go back again. Expensive as fuck if you stay downtown ($300/night) and get a music badge($700) though (plus airfare too).

Next year, we're talking about going to Punk Rock Bowling which is Memorial Day Weekend in Vegas. That one is organized by Fat Mike of NOFX and it looks really good.

Other ones that I've thought about include "Riot Fest" in Chicago, "The Fest" in Gainesville Florida, and "Groezrock" in Belgium.

johnnyh1976
09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Been to a couple of Lollapaloozas myself. 1996 and 2006. I've also been to Bonnaroo.

I just saw Ben Harper last night as part of Halifax SummerSonic. Today's line up is for the punk rockers- Rise Against, Lagwagon, The Vandals, and Propaghandi.

Saw the Black Keys here at SummerSonic a couple years back as well. I love festivals as you get the best value. Paid a crapton to go to Bonnaroo but was totally worth it. Tom Petty was just here a few months back and tickets were $187-$206. This for one act. As he is one of my favorites I had to go but got a sweet deal the day of the show for $75.

Bottom line - Festivals are a blast.