PDA

View Full Version : Electric meat smoker?

HardlyCapable13
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I've been smoking meats with my offset barrel smoker for a while. While I enjoy lazy weekend days hanging out with some brews and friends tending the smoker, sometimes it gets old. So I've been thinking about getting an electric smoker for the days where I'm a bit more busy and don't have the time to constantly monitor temps.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Madlob75
09-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I had to get rid of my offset smoker a while back (sad day) and have been looking at them as well. Very interested in a response to this.

HardlyCapable13
09-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I had to get rid of my offset smoker a while back (sad day) and have been looking at them as well. Very interested in a response to this.

I've read tons of reviews on various BBQ sites. A lot of veteran fire smokers have been converted to electric.

Madlob75
09-05-2012, 02:43 PM
double post

HardlyCapable13
09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
The one I'm looking at. Right now trying to convince myself why I shouldn't order it.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse-Controller/dp/B003XJGEGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346874458&sr=8-2&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker

Madlob75
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I've read tons of reviews on various BBQ sites. A lot of veteran fire smokers have been converted to electric.

I was at Academy Sports the other day and they had a simple upright electric smoker for about $70. I was close to pulling the trigger then, but was unsure how well they worked.

HardlyCapable13
09-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I was at Academy Sports the other day and they had a simple upright electric smoker for about $70. I was close to pulling the trigger then, but was unsure how well they worked.

I'll let ya know. Just placed my order.

theczech99
09-05-2012, 03:34 PM
There's a guy in Dallas that has a commercial electric smoker. When we have parties I will get 30lbs of ribs from him. They are freakin awesome and everyone always loves them. This alone makes me want an electric smoker.

Madlob75
09-05-2012, 04:33 PM
The one I'm looking at. Right now trying to convince myself why I shouldn't order it.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse-Controller/dp/B003XJGEGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346874458&sr=8-2&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker

Nice....I like how it opened up to my Amazon page with a Prime discount. All I have to do is hit add to cart. Th question is why would you not order it.

@ Czech - that may have pushed me into getting it. Looks like brisket is on the menu this weekend!

Ullrsdog
09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
mmmmmm brisket!!! now I need one of you to give me a good sauce recipe...mine never turn out right. Too thin, too sweet, too bland...something. Yeah Yeah I hear it now BBQ is for the south not the rockies...either way let me know if you know of a good one...and send the crispy ends of the brisket to:

Ullrsdog
4278 Morgan st....

I think my next MP pic will be the BBQ grill...with the burgers all tasty and cheesy! I think that's what I am making tonight.

theczech99
09-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Nice....I like how it opened up to my Amazon page with a Prime discount. All I have to do is hit add to cart. Th question is why would you not order it.

@ Czech - that may have pushed me into getting it. Looks like brisket is on the menu this weekend!

I'm not sure how he cooks them but the meat just falls off the bone. Damn I'm making myself hungry thinking about them!

HardlyCapable13
09-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Holy crap batman! Says already shipped with eta 9/7.

Madlob75
09-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Just in time for the weekend, nice. We need pics.

@Dog - blue cheese burgers? My favorite.

LandShark
09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I have an electric smoker. Works great, only proble m with mine is you either have to have the wood pellets or smaller wood chunks to get it smokin! Its been a while since ive used mine, but after reading this thread, i bet it gets used this weekend

mechatool
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I bought a whole brisket yesterday to cook this weekend for my girls birthday party! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

HardlyCapable13
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I have an electric smoker. Works great, only proble m with mine is you either have to have the wood pellets or smaller wood chunks to get it smokin! Its been a while since ive used mine, but after reading this thread, i bet it gets used this weekend

Do you soak the wood for an electric smoker?

LandShark
09-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I dont, it just heats the wood try just hot enough it starts it a smokin, never had it burst into flames.

HardlyCapable13
09-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I dont, it just heats the wood try just hot enough it starts it a smokin, never had it burst into flames.

It is on truck for delivery today, unfortunately I won't be able to use her til next weekend. But I'll get plenty of pics to post!

HardlyCapable13
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
She was delivered Friday (thanks Amazon, shipping was amazingly fast). Still haven't had time to unpack it, but there will be brisket this weekend!

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/IMG_0054.jpg

Madlob75
09-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Sure is purty.....be sure and team lift, wouldn't want to throw your back out before she gets her Q on.

HardlyCapable13
09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Assembled. Getting ready to plug her in and start up the 3 hour seasoning period. It's a nice little unit. Plenty of room inside for my needs.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/IMG_0055.jpg

Spike Forehand
09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Definitely interested in hearing more on how well it works for you.

I love doing Que on my offset barrel smoker, but it does get to be a pain in the ass keeping it going - especially on cold and windy days when it's nearly impossible to keep it to the right temp.

HardlyCapable13
09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
So to season it you set it to 275 for 3 hours, and add wood for the last 45 minutes. This is what was pouring out literally 2 minutes after I added the wood chips. Very impressed so far. Temp has stayed at 275 +/- 2 degrees the whole time. It also came with a little remote control pager looking thing to carry in your pocket. 100' distance and it has a timer and tells you the temp of the smoker. You can also adjust the smoker temp from it. Pretty handy if you're too damn lazy to get off the couch...

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/IMG_0058.jpg

Spike Forehand
09-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Does the remote tell you temp of the food probe as well as the smoker?

HardlyCapable13
09-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Does the remote tell you temp of the food probe as well as the smoker?

Yup. I'll get a pic of that when I do the brisket this weekend.

Ullrsdog
09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Assembled. Getting ready to plug her in and start up the 3 hour seasoning period. It's a nice little unit. Plenty of room inside for my needs.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/IMG_0055.jpg

ewwwww smoked feet!!

HardlyCapable13
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
ewwwww smoked feet!!

Was waiting for someone to reply about that!!!

Black_Out_424
09-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Got in on this a little late but I love my Traeger Smoker. It is a pellet smoker so you don't have to watch it as much as other smokers. Set the temp and it keeps it there and smokes all day or night. This is the one that I have http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ070 I love it! I know they cost a little more but if you love to smoke and grill it is well worth it. We have smoked all kinds of meats, baked several dishes in it instead of heating up the house in the summer, and baked several deserts on it. They all turn out amazing.

ScoobySnacks
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I was steering clear of this thread and wondering why it was getting so many replies. But, now I see that it is NOT an adult sex toy!

tweety
09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Lol! I was curious what all the buzz was about myself. It's not the smoker i was thinking either ;)

Major Stains
09-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I was steering clear of this thread and wondering why it was getting so many replies. But, now I see that it is NOT an adult sex toy!

Great minds think alike (great=twisted) :madgrin:

CELockwood
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Got in on this a little late but I love my Traeger Smoker. It is a pellet smoker so you don't have to watch it as much as other smokers. Set the temp and it keeps it there and smokes all day or night. This is the one that I have http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ070 I love it! I know they cost a little more but if you love to smoke and grill it is well worth it. We have smoked all kinds of meats, baked several dishes in it instead of heating up the house in the summer, and baked several deserts on it. They all turn out amazing.

I was actually thinking of one of these myself. How's the temperature control in the winter?

Black_Out_424
09-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I was actually thinking of one of these myself. How's the temperature control in the winter?

It's great. Now I have a digital thermometer on it, which is an upgrade on some units. This puts a temp probe in the unit and then controls better than the default Low-Med-High settings. So the digital thermometer gives you Smoke-up to like 375/400 or so. So no matter whats happening outside the box the inside temp stays the same. I love this the most in the winter. Good constant box temp.

HardlyCapable13
09-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Good constant box temp.

Okay, now you guys are just TRYING to make sexual references...

Ullrsdog
09-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Lol! I was curious what all the buzz was about myself. It's not the smoker i was thinking either ;)

Man I guess I am WAY behind the times...meat smoker really? that makes this connection...I am seriously missing out somewhere...

HardlyCapable13
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Did a test strip steak for lunch. Turned out great, but a bit overdone. Wife requested we have steaks for dinner, which I will not argue with as it will give me a chance to get my time down better.

On my "fire" smoker, I would do steaks at 200 for around 1 hour ten minutes to get them to 145 internal temp. This same time/temp today gave me an internal temp of around 165. A bit too done for me, but they were not dry. Tonight I will decrese the time and hopefully have better results.

One thing to note: the smoker comes with an internal probe meat thermometer which transmits temps to the remote. The manual didn't really say much on it, so I was thinking you put it in the meat as it goes in and can remotely monitor the internal temp of the meat (pretty handy). I put it in the steak as it went in and within a half hour it said the meat temp was 169. Shocked, I pulled the steak and checked it with my trusty instant read, and it was much lower. Would it matter that it was in a steak? Maybe if it was a large brisket it would be more accurate? I'm thinking of just forgetting it all together, as it's just a "convienence" and I have no problem letting things smoke to time then checking temps.

Anyway, after one go around I'm very happy with the purchase. Round 2 is tonight, and I already bought the brisket for this weekend.

Psalm
09-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Sorry to be late to the party... but yeah i have one and love it. It was a little more expensive one. ($300). i had a cheapy that I got at Sam's club that didn't do a good job of keeping the heat low enough...
Hey, I live in Kansas City....you have to BBQ here ;) I still have a refrigerator I converted into a smoker that I use for Whole hogs and such....
I think that most electric do just as good as charcoal ones... I use apple wood mostly. What type of wood do you guys use?

HardlyCapable13
09-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry to be late to the party... but yeah i have one and love it. It was a little more expensive one. ($300). i had a cheapy that I got at Sam's club that didn't do a good job of keeping the heat low enough...
Hey, I live in Kansas City....you have to BBQ here ;) I still have a refrigerator I converted into a smoker that I use for Whole hogs and such....
I think that most electric do just as good as charcoal ones... I use apple wood mostly. What type of wood do you guys use?

My second round of steaks today came out amazing. In fact, we're doing them again Friday. Brisket now moved to Sunday for our football party.

Both times I used it today I used the Stubbs blend, which is oak, hickory, and apple. But I've got pecan, hickory, alder, mesquite, oak, apple, and cherry on hand. What I use depends on the meat.

Ullrsdog
09-13-2012, 09:20 AM
OHHH baby...trade Peach for Pecan?

I generally have access to tons of fruit wood (west slope of colorado is packed with orchards) so I generally can get a lot of Apple / Cherry / Peach but miss out on hardwoods...sure the Mesquite and Hickory are readily available but Pecan...not so much.

HardlyCapable13
09-13-2012, 07:27 PM
OHHH baby...trade Peach for Pecan?

I generally have access to tons of fruit wood (west slope of colorado is packed with orchards) so I generally can get a lot of Apple / Cherry / Peach but miss out on hardwoods...sure the Mesquite and Hickory are readily available but Pecan...not so much.

You can find them cheaper, but here's a start.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-17002-Pecan-Chips-3-Pound/dp/B002YO3GN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347582386&sr=8-1&keywords=Pecan+wood+chips

Need to get me some peach. Ive never used it.

HardlyCapable13
09-16-2012, 03:24 AM
While everyone else sleeps, I'm making smoked meat. The things I do for football sunday's...

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/IMG_0060.jpg

HardlyCapable13
09-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, the brisket turned out amazing.
It was done way earlier than on my double barrel. It was done about 2 hours before my guesstimated time. It was just over 9 pounds, and reached internal target temp in 8 hours. I don't see being able to fit a much bigger brisket in the smoker, however (unless you cut it into multiple pieces and had them on different racks.

Pigged out on it all day then made a brisket pizza for dinner last night. Tonight is sandwiches.

For those of you on the fence about an electric smoker, I'd say pull the trigger.

Madlob75
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
For those of you on the fence about an electric smoker, I'd say pull the trigger.

I've been following this thread closely and have received the go ahead from my wife. How heavy is it? Can you move it around easily?

HardlyCapable13
09-17-2012, 09:49 AM
I've been following this thread closely and have received the go ahead from my wife. How heavy is it? Can you move it around easily?

This model has little wheels in the back and a handle so you can tip and roll it.

Spike Forehand
09-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, the brisket turned out amazing.

What, no pictures? Amateur.

Here's my shot from yesterday's Eagles tailgate:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/spike4hand/IMG_2538.jpg

New York Strips and sauteed peppers/onions/mushrooms. Sliced and served on rolls with provolone and horseradish sauce. Outstanding.

HardlyCapable13
09-17-2012, 07:22 PM

New York Strips and sauteed peppers/onions/mushrooms. Sliced and served on rolls with provolone and horseradish sauce. Outstanding.

LOL! I planned on it. But with all the football, beer, and guests it slipped my mind. There is a pic earlier from the wee hours when I fist put it in though!

That looks like a damn good tailgate meal.

Ullrsdog
09-18-2012, 09:07 AM

I said the other day I'd post one of my burgers but I can't post pics because I have too much data in atttachments or something...anyway just had to say GO PITT booo Filthydelphia! :boink: :smile:

HardlyCapable13
09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Anyone make jerky in a smoker? If so, what are your procedures?

Spike Forehand
09-21-2012, 09:41 PM
I said the other day I'd post one of my burgers but I can't post pics because I have too much data in atttachments or something...anyway just had to say GO PITT booo Filthydelphia! :boink: :smile:

Easiest way to get pics on here is to create a free photobucket account and load them there and then just post the IMG tag in the message.