PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the game

Badgerute
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
I picked it up at lunch and played for about 45 minutes. Played 4 games of "combat," which is a lot like rush, except that there are three bombs the attackers must set off, but only one at a time. Our team won 3 of the 4, and my squadmate was the worst player on the team (just my luck - I don't think I spawned on him once because he was never alive). Overall, I liked it. I'm hoping the other game modes offer more variety, because I can't see myself playing that mode for the 600+ hours I put into BF3, but it is a nice change of pace. The shooting is extremely easy -- absolutely no recoil, just point and mash the trigger, which I think sucks. There seemed to be more strategy in figuring out how to flank hardened positions which was a lot of fun. I think it will be fun to play with all the MPs, and will be a good diversion from BF3, but there is no question that BF3 is still king because of the variety of maps, weapons/vehicles, and skill involved.

SouthtownSlayer
10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
I enjoyed playing the game but wish you could have more than one squadmate. Once you lock the LMG class I noticed quite a bit of recoil, I think the first one you unlike is the Russian LMGer which I played a bit yesterday and noticed that if you keep the trigger pressed down the barrel get's hot and starts to turn red, not sure if this plays into your accuracy. I guess you can say I enjoy the game and is definitely a much needed break from BL2 and BF3.

Ullrsdog
10-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I enjoyed playing the game but wish you could have more than one squadmate. Once you lock the LMG class I noticed quite a bit of recoil, I think the first one you unlike is the Russian LMGer which I played a bit yesterday and noticed that if you keep the trigger pressed down the barrel get's hot and starts to turn red, not sure if this plays into your accuracy. I guess you can say I enjoy the game and is definitely a much needed break from BL2 and BF3.

so I cant just jump into Grom LMG or whatever other Grom I want? I am a Pol so if I buy this my plan was to play all Grom all the time.

Badgerute
10-23-2012, 02:03 PM
so I cant just jump into Grom LMG or whatever other Grom I want? I am a Pol so if I buy this my plan was to play all Grom all the time.

Our team made the Grom's carry our ammo.

SouthtownSlayer
10-23-2012, 02:15 PM

You have to actually level to unlock, the Grom Assaulter unlocks at about lvl 7 or 8, Grom Demo lvl 17, Grom Point man at lvl 28, and so on.

mechatool
10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
How did everyone enjoy the game? I was thinking about picking it up today...if y'all enjoyed it and plan on playing it.

TonkaToys
10-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the invites last night... I don't yet have this so couldn't join! :biggrin:

Spike Forehand
10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the invites last night... I don't yet have this so couldn't join! :biggrin:

LOL - Sorry about that.

The pre-game screen has a button that says "Invite Friends". We discovered that if you hit it, it invites every one of your friends that are online at the time -regardless of if they're playing or even own MOHWF. For me - when I hit it it sent invites to 27 people - LOL. Needless to say got a lot of return messages saying "I don't own that game"

TonkaToys
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Ha ha! They are obviously trying to market the thing to your mates.

Spike Forehand
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Here's my mini-review of the Multi-Player:

Graphics/Spund - Given that the game was developed using the DICE Frostbite 2 engine, I expected the graphics to be very much like BF3. I have to say that they appear a little more cartoonish with a little less use of the lighting effects than in BF3. They do have good smoke/explosion effects. I did not notice any destructible environments like BF3. Perhaps DICE didn't allow use of all of the elements of Frostbite 2? (Just a conjecture) Sound was outstanding and certainly up to BF3 standards (but without the vehicles of course).

Game Performance - It seemed pretty solid. Not a lot of bad lag that I noticed (although I did hear a couple of other says something about it). Seemed like hit detection was good and I didn't notice any screen tearing or anything crazy like that. I did have a problem during one map where when I spawned in my weapon would not be on the screen and I could not get it to come up nor could I fire it until I ran around a bit when it would finally appear. Something really weird happening, that may be my controller starting to go cause a similar thing happened to me recently in BF3 and I didn't hear anyone else complain about anything like that.

Maps - Really like the maps a lot. Lots of tight spaces and cover points, but without the horrible pinch points that were in the last MOH. Not too big or too small. However, there are still some spawning issues in the game that I'm sure will be patched.

Gameplay - Only played one game of Combat Mission and then maybe 5-6 of Sector Control (MOHWF's versions of Rush and Conquest respectively). Generally, I found that you die pretty quickly in this game - not taking as many bullets as you do in BF3 or the COD games. This is not a game where run and gun skills are rewarded. Health regeneration is also different, with your buddy available to heal you but it's not clear how you heal otherwise - although I did seem to heal somehow. Sticking with your fireteam buddy is way important due to this. Also, I found myself cussing myself out for not waiting for Madlob to spawn on me before going into an area where I knew opfor was. Coordinating actions with your buddy is critical, and one of the really cool parts of the game as combined with the tightness of the maps I think this really does represent special forces actions that they are trying to replicate. I really like the way your FT buddy is always outlined in green so you know exactly where they are, as well as whoever killed them being outlined in red for a short time after that - allowing a good chance to exact revenge.

I only played a couple of roles during the night - "Assaulter" and "Heavy Gunner". The Assaulter had virtually no recoil on the gun, but handed out a little less damage. On the "Heavy Gunner" I noticed more recoil, but also more damage/bullet and I had better luck (KDR-wise) with that gun. With "Heavy Gunner" when you throw grenades you throw 3 at a time - pretty cool. Got a double kill throwing 3 grenades over a wall one time - warmed my heart.

Menus/Game Options/Mechanics of getting in and out of a match and squadding up - No other way to describe it than it's a hot mess. So crazy and confusing. VOIP options are not self-explanatory. Getting into a fireteam with a friend during the match is not as easy as it should be (near as I can tell, you need to go out and do this by "Joining" a friend via the PS3 menu bar). The whole "pick a soldier and a country" thing that they seem to be so proud of seems kinda silly and overly complicated to me. One thing I will say - it didn't appear that there is forced team balancing that I noticed - but then again it may have just not been something we faced during one night's play. We were able to keep all the MP's on the same side while I was there (except for the first game where we spawned into a pretty full match in progress).

Getting Tomahawked By Southside in My Very First Game - Priceless.

Overall So Far: Really liked it so far and am looking forward to more games.

Recommendation for MP's "On The Fence": Selfishly - I want all you guys to get it so that we can pwn fools as usual. However, realistically as others have said this is only a diversion from the state-of-the-art game (imo) BF3. I would say that if you liked the last version of MOH that this looks like it's gonna be a better experience than that. I certainly feel it's way better and more fun than any of the COD/MW titles, but still behind BF3 and BFBC2 for the full/fun experience.

Beano
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I think the game is pretty good. It sure has a fun factor to it. Like badger said it's just hold down the trigger and shoot a laser of death. For this reason you will die a lot. It's harder to stay alive in this game as there are even more ways to die than in BF3.

Early on the hit detection seems to be like it was in Beta and early on BF3. You will be shot and before you can even move or flinch you're dead. A guy will appear from behind a wall and you will be insta dead with no humanly way possible to even react that fast.

Another factor into why you die a lot is the enemy knowing where you are. It seems like I can always see enemies behind walls, behind any kind of cover and I can see them behind cover for a long way off. It's almost as if the game comes with a built in wall hack. So with that being said let it be known that bad guys can usually see you even if you think you're safe behind a wall or something.

The game interface is also extremely complicated IMO. There is a bug right now that even though you unlock something, the next game it will be locked again. I think I've unlocked some Swedish dude 10 times now. Also if you pick a certain kit and die, many times you will respawn with a completely different kit. This stuff however I'm not worried about, it will be fixed soon. The hit detection is my biggest worry.

So far my favorite class is point man. I like the model airplane uav you get to throw for your first kill streak. It really helps the team out a ton. This makes it so you can see the bad guys anywhere, even behind walls. For the point mans second kill streak you get the air burst rounds. You put this over a sector while it's being capped and it's awesome. I also got a couple guided missiles playing assaulter last night and that was a blast. Still haven't gotten a lvl 3 streak yet.

But all in all it's pretty fun and a nice break from BF. Anyone tried out the smg's yet in the demolitions class? They seem to have absolutely zero range and don't kill anything at least for me. It is funny putting on the heavy armor though and walking around.

DayliteMag
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Thank for that review Spike. Appreciate you taking the time to post your experience.

SouthtownSlayer
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Getting Tomahawked By Southside in My Very First Game - Priceless.

If I knew it was you I would've just shot you in the head, but normally when I see an opportunity to take me some tags in BF3 or place my Tomahawk in someones head in MoH, I just can't resist! :whistle (2):

A few things that I've noticed:

- I haven't really seen to many maps where the sniper would benefit from long range rounds.

- The dreaded leveling to the same level numerous times.

- VOIP is horrible, you can hear some people but they can't hear you or you can't hear anyone at all.

Fireteam - Southtown and Badger

Badger, "I can't hear Southside but I can hear RC, Can you hear me Southside"?
Southtown, "I hear you, can you hear me"
Badger, "I can't hear Southside"
5 Seconds later
Badger, "I can't hear Southside can anyone hear him"?
10 Seconds later
Southtown (opens a message on the PSN for Badger), "I hear you"!!
Badger, "Southside can hear me but I can't hear him"

What's the moral of the story.....
If Badger can't hear you he will ensure he let's you know every 5 seconds!!!! :becky:

- I haven't found a way to swap to the opposite team or to someones fire team if they have an open slot.

- Spawning outside or under maps sucks.

- Not a fan of the OP4 red highlight.

- Have to agree with Spike on the graphics and destruction, I was really expecting more on these 2 items due to all the hype of the Frostbite 2 engine being used. I think the only stationary items I've been able to destroy are windows and the graphics are decent but clearly don't compare to BF3.

- In a nutshell, I enjoy the game and realize that they will hopefully fix the bugs as well as some of the items I mentioned above. If you're wanting to try this game and expect a BF3 experience you may be disappointed but if you're looking for a change and something new I'd give it a shot.

mechatool
10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I am still on the fence but will probably pick it up just to play something different with the MP crew.

xMisFitToyx
10-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't put a lot of thought into the technical side of any of the games I play ... Hit detection, lag, textures, funky menus, VOIP problems, etc .....

I just play the game. Last night, I played and had fun. I'm sure they will make some improvements to the game via patches, which may be good or bad. But, for the time being ... I'm going to keep playing. So, My friends ... I'll see you on the (MOH) battlefiled. HOOAH!

Not a fan of the OP4 red highlight.

Good point .... Never even gave that one a thought. I wondered why (on several occasions) it seemed like the OP4 knew exactly where I was. DOH!!!

Badgerute
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
If I knew it was you I would've just shot you in the head, but normally when I see an opportunity to take me some tags in BF3 or place my Tomahawk in someones head in MoH, I just can't resist! :whistle (2):

A few things that I've noticed:

- I haven't really seen to many maps where the sniper would benefit from long range rounds.

- The dreaded leveling to the same level numerous times.

- VOIP is horrible, you can hear some people but they can't hear you or you can't hear anyone at all.

Fireteam - Southtown and Badger

Badger, "I can't hear Southside but I can hear RC, Can you hear me Southside"?
Southtown, "I hear you, can you hear me"
5 Seconds later
Badger, "I can't hear Southside can anyone hear him"?
10 Seconds later
Southtown (opens a message on the PSN for Badger), "I hear you"!!
Badger, "Southside can hear me but I can't hear him"

What's the moral of the story.....
If Badger can't hear you he will ensure he let's you know every 5 seconds!!!! :becky:

- I haven't found a way to swap to the opposite team or to someones fire team if they have an open slot.

- Spawning outside or under maps sucks.

- Not a fan of the OP4 red highlight.

- Have to agree with Spike on the graphics and destruction, I was really expecting more on these 2 items due to all the hype of the Frostbite 2 engine being used. I think the only stationary items I've been able to destroy are windows and the graphics are decent but clearly don't compare to BF3.

- In a nutshell, I enjoy the game and realize that they will hopefully fix the bugs as well as some of the items I mentioned above. If you're wanting to try this game and expect a BF3 experience you may be disappointed but if you're looking for a change and something new I'd give it a shot.

Ha. I just really really wanted to hear that soothing voice of yours.

ROW
10-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Been rolling Moh-WF multi today .. good multi, plenty to do .. see you on the battlefield soldier' ...

sam007
10-25-2012, 07:16 AM
I don't know if its because I am playing on PC and suck at this game, or no reliable team mate, which is making my experience horrible. Sucks going a round 2/7 and being a none factor, then again, I have no clue what to do to get points to help.

RC-1136
10-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Right now I'm just happy to have a code for the exclusive BF4 Beta. (Hopefully it won't be a PC exclusive) I'm sure it will get better with patches. The game is fun, but all of the technical issues make it very frustrating. I feel like the dude from the old verizon commercials. "Can you hear me now?" I'm going to have my computer with me tonight so I can run skype if anyone is interested.

Spike Forehand
10-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Right now I'm just happy to have a code for the exclusive BF4 Beta. (Hopefully it won't be a PC exclusive) I'm sure it will get better with patches. The game is fun, but all of the technical issues make it very frustrating. I feel like the dude from the old verizon commercials. "Can you hear me now?" I'm going to have my computer with me tonight so I can run skype if anyone is interested.

I agree. I thought on the first night it was just that we all had different settings or something, but last night was ridiculous with the comms. I could hear people in between games, but during the game couldn't here a thing. Since I have yet to see a response from Danger Close explaining how you should set the comms, I'm assuming its broken. I will also have my iPad for Skypeing tonight. This game absolutely needs good comms - even more so than BF3 IMO.

SouthtownSlayer
10-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Good Call RC, if I don't have to stay at work still I will be online tonight unfortunately using Skype ( I hate Skype and prefer Ventrilo)!

xMisFitToyx
10-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I did notice that there is a little icon to the right of your name, that will flash a + if you need health. And if you approach someone needing health or ammo, the game instructs you to press square (for my controller setup - default). So anytime I approached anyone (even blueberrys), I was pressing square to give them health and top up their ammo.

RC-1136
10-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Good Call RC, if I don't have to stay at work still I will be online tonight unfortunately using Skype ( I hate Skype and prefer Ventrilo)!

Go ahead and use Ventrilo. I don't think anyone besides badger would mind.

Spike Forehand
10-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I did notice that there is a little icon to the right of your name, that will flash a + if you need health. And if you approach someone needing health or ammo, the game instructs you to press square (for my controller setup - default). So anytime I approached anyone (even blueberrys), I was pressing square to give them health and top up their ammo.

Reported this into a tips and tricks topic I created.

mechatool
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I picked up the game yesterday....they have a long way to go with the in game comms. I'll have Skype ready to go tonight.

Beano
10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't know if its because I am playing on PC and suck at this game, or no reliable team mate, which is making my experience horrible. Sucks going a round 2/7 and being a none factor, then again, I have no clue what to do to get points to help.

Nice to see you back even if it is only in forums. Anyhow the game is for sure hard. I've resigned myself in knowing I won't be as good as in some other games.

Madlob75
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I'll happy when we figure out how to switch fireteams. There was a point last night where Mech and I were on the same team, playing alone, a we couldn't get into the same fireteam. I think the way they have the "Party" setup is screwing everything up and making it too complicated.

Spike Forehand
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I'll happy when we figure out how to switch fireteams. There was a point last night where Mech and I were on the same team, playing alone, a we couldn't get into the same fireteam. I think the way they have the "Party" setup is screwing everything up and making it too complicated.

On Tuesday night you were able to join on me between matches. How did you do it? I was assuming you did it from the PS3 Menu Bar. Last night both Bobosda and Jack were able to join on me in my fire team, but only after I was already playing.

Madlob75
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
On Tuesday night you were able to join on me between matches. How did you do it? I was assuming you did it from the PS3 Menu Bar. Last night both Bobosda and Jack were able to join on me in my fire team, but only after I was already playing.

I think that if you're not in a party, you can join someone as you would in BF3. If you are in a party, however, I think it throws everything off.

Oh yeah, and another thing. We all created a party last night and when we joined the game, we were all split up. I think I made it in with Mech, but Badger and Jack were split up on different teams. The weird thing was that they weren't showing up on the scoreboard. I could hear Badger ever now and then and see him on the kill feed, but he wasn't listed on the scoreboard. Jack was the same way, but he did show up at the end of the match.

I know its a brand new game, but some of this stuff is REALLY weird. I know zilch about coding, but how does some of this stuff happen? It will get worked out. I keep meaning to go back and look at all the posts when BF3 dropped. I'm sure it was the same kind of complaints.

mechatool
10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I think that if you're not in a party, you can join someone as you would in BF3. If you are in a party, however, I think it throws everything off.

Oh yeah, and another thing. We all created a party last night and when we joined the game, we were all split up. I think I made it in with Mech, but Badger and Jack were split up on different teams. The weird thing was that they weren't showing up on the scoreboard. I could hear Badger ever now and then and see him on the kill feed, but he wasn't listed on the scoreboard. Jack was the same way, but he did show up at the end of the match.

I know its a brand new game, but some of this stuff is REALLY weird. I know zilch about coding, but how does some of this stuff happen? It will get worked out. I keep meaning to go back and look at all the posts when BF3 dropped. I'm sure it was the same kind of complaints.

When you create a party you and your fire team buddy can lock your fire team. If both parties lock the fire team, I think will keep them together.

Madlob75
10-25-2012, 12:29 PM
We were locking slots all night, and it was still messy. (Couldn't resist)

Badgerute
10-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Go ahead and use Ventrilo. I don't think anyone besides badger would mind.

Ha! I couldn't stop talking about not hearing southside, and the only thing I could hear was you. It was unfortunate I could not find the mute RC button.

Badgerute
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
When you create a party you and your fire team buddy can lock your fire team. If both parties lock the fire team, I think will keep them together.

In theory that is correct, but it doesn't work like that. I locked in a fire team buddy all night and I ended up playing alone most of the night. This game is incredibly difficult if you are playing without a partner. I can't believe all the issues this game has at launch. I guess I don't get how or why these games make it to market in such poor shape. VOIP is broken; lock feature doesnt work; i played a few games where I didn't even appear on the scoreboard; spawn in with new classes and guns; stats are broken, etc.

mechatool
10-25-2012, 01:47 PM
In theory that is correct, but it doesn't work like that. I locked in a fire team buddy all night and I ended up playing alone most of the night. This game is incredibly difficult if you are playing without a partner. I can't believe all the issues this game has at launch. I guess I don't get how or why these games make it to market in such poor shape. VOIP is broken; lock feature doesnt work; i played a few games where I didn't even appear on the scoreboard; spawn in with new classes and guns; stats are broken, etc.

When I ended up without a FTB (fire team buddy) I couldn't figure out how to squad up with another player. Skype will give us the means to coordinate in game and make it more enjoyable.

Beano
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Even though I'm really wanting to play this game bad, I guess I'm glad I'm away on a work trip. Hopefully some of this stuff will be fixed before I get home.

RC-1136
10-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Don't try to join the game in the server menu. Go to match making. When I did that it kept us all on the same side. It did put us in an empty lobby once, but it filled up quickly. Don't pick and individual server.

mechatool
10-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Don't try to join the game in the server menu. Go to match making. When I did that it kept us all on the same side. It did put us in an empty lobby once, but it filled up quickly. Don't pick and individual server.

Did it also keep your fire team buddie together?