PDA

View Full Version : Blah - PS3 "File System Corrupted"

Spike Forehand
12-25-2012, 10:48 PM
How gross - got the dreaded "File System Corrupted" messages today, and have had no luck restoring defaults and rebuilding database so far. Hoping this doesn't mean my PS3 is dead, but I'm fearing the worst.

Anyone ever make it back from this crap with a system that works?

HardlyCapable13
12-25-2012, 10:57 PM
That sucks! What is this, like RROD?

Spike Forehand
12-25-2012, 11:13 PM
That sucks! What is this, like RROD?

Might be a big problem with the PS3 itself, a problem with the hard drive, or just some file corruption that is preventing the system from operating properly. Got it restarted in safe mode a couple of times, but as soon as I tried to run anything - once a game and once netflix - it once again froze and on restart gave the "file system corrupted". Trying to work through the steps on this page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/How-to-access-Playstation-3-SAFE-MODE/td-p/5812274?start=0&tstart=0

I am at the fourth step now - "Rebuild Database" but it's just frozen on the "Preparing System" page. It says this step could take several hours, so I'll probably give it until the morning.

If that doesn't work, next step is a full re-formatting of the hard drive. That'll mean I will lose all game saves, including the probably 60-80+ hours or so in Skyrim and the 30+ hours in Dead Island, and I'll have to restart those games if I want to finish them.

Gonna get it fixed or buy a new system by the weekend. If it's the latter, the wife will not be happy.

HardlyCapable13
12-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Ugh that seriously sucks. I feel for ya. Hopefully you get it worked out.

Black_Out_424
12-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Might be a big problem with the PS3 itself, a problem with the hard drive, or just some file corruption that is preventing the system from operating properly. Got it restarted in safe mode a couple of times, but as soon as I tried to run anything - once a game and once netflix - it once again froze and on restart gave the "file system corrupted". Trying to work through the steps on this page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/How-to-access-Playstation-3-SAFE-MODE/td-p/5812274?start=0&tstart=0

I am at the fourth step now - "Rebuild Database" but it's just frozen on the "Preparing System" page. It says this step could take several hours, so I'll probably give it until the morning.

If that doesn't work, next step is a full re-formatting of the hard drive. That'll mean I will lose all game saves, including the probably 60-80+ hours or so in Skyrim and the 30+ hours in Dead Island, and I'll have to restart those games if I want to finish them.

Gonna get it fixed or buy a new system by the weekend. If it's the latter, the wife will not be happy.

So this is to try to help and not come off being a dick at the same time.

So I ran out of room on my PS3 so I upgraded the HD. Very easy to do. Just buy a bigger HD and swap them out. Now to the harder parts but there is a bright side I learned as well.

So Sony makes upgrading or replacing the HD really easy. all you have to do once you replaced it is go online and download the new software on a usb drive and then plug it into the PS3 and follow the directions. As per backing up. So if your PS3 is still functional you can back up several games on a USB drive but this drive can be no larger than like 32gb because its a FAT 32 file format that the PS3 needs. So this sucks if you have lots of games you need saved.

So here is the part that I dont want to come off being a dick to Spike but for others to know about as well. If you sign up for a Playstation plus account, they give you some online storage space to save games to. I do not remember now much space this is but it is enough to dump several games to. I use this to dump my COD and Fallout data to. Since these are the games that I care about the most. This way even if your HD fails you can always pull the saved game data down from online. I did not know about this feature until I was messing around with my HD upgrade. Right now PS3 is also giving away the PS+ for free if you sign up for one of their credit cards.

I hope that you get your PS3 working spike because I totally understand and feel the pain of loosing game progress. Especially with not having all the time in the world to get back to where you were. If you can Spike I would try to back up your game files if you still can. Then replace the HD and reinstall the operating system. Let me know if you have any questions about me replacing mine. I will help any way I can. I replaced mine with a 1TB drive for around $100.

Just wanted to share the one of the benefits of the PS+ thing. The other is you get some great games for free through out the year.

theczech99
12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
PS plus is definitely the way to go for back up if at all still possible. If you can still get into your saved files to back everything up but can't get into the store maybe you can use a family member or close friend to add on the plus membership.

My 120 HD stays full. I had to delete some gems off the HD over the weekend to add on all my dlc from the resistance collection. If replacing the HD is simple I may need to look into doing that. On the other hand they are saying the PS4 will be out in fall of 2013 and I should be able to hold out that long. That leaves me having to dl all the free plus games onto my kids ps3. Maybe I should still add a larger HD.

Good luck on your repairs Spike! I hope to see you back on the BF soon.

PS. Black Out = Dick LOL! JK

Black_Out_424
12-26-2012, 11:22 AM
PS. Black Out = Dick LOL! JK

Funny man we have here do we. But really Czech if you can afford to upgrade the HD do it totally worth it. The only thing that sucks about it is you can only back up so much with the 32gb FAT setup. So all the DLC you have to re-download, that took awhile. But now I have so much room to download all the free games and other DLC that I am good to go for quite a while.

Spike Forehand
12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks BO and Czech for the ideas.

Tried several times to get a backup, but it was not to be. I am familiar with the HD replacement process as I had done that before when I replaced my original 40gb with a 320gb a couple years ago. (As a side noet - you can back up all of it, but you'll need to use an external USB drive that can be formatted to FAT32 - it wasn't hard to do and I found instructions on the Webb. Too bad I didn't keep doing backups like I told myself I would.)

I ended up having to go the full reformat/reinstall route. This seems to be working fine in a pretty long BF3 session this afternoon (Bobosda and I totally turned around a Kharg Conquest match FTW).

However, my hopes are dead of finishing Skyrim and Dead Island before I get into Far Cry 3 this weekend as I now will need to start those games over. Will give me a chance to try a different character type in Skyrim anyways.

Black_Out_424
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I am familiar with the HD replacement process as I had done that before when I replaced my original 40gb with a 320gb a couple years ago. (As a side noet - you can back up all of it, but you'll need to use an external USB drive that can be formatted to FAT32 - it wasn't hard to do and I found instructions on the Webb. Too bad I didn't keep doing backups like I told myself I would.)

For a 40gb drive you were probably ok but FAT32 format can only be as large as 32gb. So when you start getting into the bigger drives it starts to be an issue.

theczech99
12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I just bought a 500 GB HD from Tigerdirect.com for $51. Can't wait to upgrade, having to delete old games is getting old.

xMisFitToyx
12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I have PS+. You get 1GB of game save data storage with it. I also have a very, tiny 32GB flash drive in one of my USB ports, on the front of my PS3. About once a week, I back up all of my game save data onto it. Before I turn off my system for the night, I will start the back up and go to bed.

Here is picture of the flash drive I use ... you can't even see it, when its installed on my PS3. :-) http://images.frys.com/art/product/box_shots/7418005.box.GIF

Link to flash drive http://www.frys.com/product/7418005?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

xMisFitToyx
12-27-2012, 02:44 PM
I just bought a 500 GB HD from Tigerdirect.com for $51. Can't wait to upgrade, having to delete old games is getting old.

You mentioned that your wife works in the school system ... My wife is a teacher and applied for and educator discount card from Tiger Direct. She gets 10% discount on everything we buy there.

We also get 20% off @ Barnes and Noble and other various discounts @ other stores.

Black_Out_424
12-27-2012, 02:53 PM

NICE!! You will love it.

Spike Forehand
12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
For a 40gb drive you were probably ok but FAT32 format can only be as large as 32gb. So when you start getting into the bigger drives it starts to be an issue.

I am currently using a 320 gb external HDD for back-ups of both my PS3 (sadly - it was over a year old though) and a laptop that was formatted to fat32 using the freeware program "fat32format":

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Apparently the 32 gb limitation has something to do with Windows formatter, not with any limitation of the fat32 format itself.

Here's the HDD upgrade process that I followed when I did mine.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tech-centre/114394-hdd-upgrade-guide-how-back-up-fat32-format.html

TonkaToys
12-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I did this too - got a 500 GB disk formatted to FAT32 using some 3rd party formatter.

Spike Forehand
01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Ugh- Happened to me again last night. Freezing between matches in BF3 leads to "Data File System Needs to be Rebuilt" messages and around the merry-go-round we go.

Good part is that I did sign up for PS+ so my game saves are backed up to network, and I have a pretty recent full system backup as well so if I have to do another HDD reformat it won't be as painful.

However at this point my fear is that the problem goes much deeper than a few corrupt HDD sectors or something since its now happened twice.

I think I may try to reinstall my old 40GB HDD. I shouldn't need quite as much space as I used to because I'm not playing Rock Band anymore so I don't need space for all those songs. Basically all I have on there right now is all the BF3 maps, plus whatever was needed for Far Cry and Dead Island. If it keeps happening after that then I'm thinking I got a deeper problem than the HDD.

Any other thoughts from you experts?

Already laying the groundwork with Mary Beth that the PS3 may need a replacement. She just sighed so that's a semi good sign.

theczech99
01-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Backing up my HD now. Looks like I'll be down for about 6 hours. Can't wait to drop in the new 500 gb hd!

I had a corrupt file on my HD that kept me from running the backup. All game saves were backed up last week so I just swapped HDs and started fresh.

Spike Forehand
01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Got it back to running - sort of - on Thursday night but wouldn't start at all last night. So - I'm doing a full drive reformat and will reload stuff one more time. If it's still acting up after that, then I'm driving to best buy tomorrow morning and just buying a new PS3. I've had it fucking with this thing.

Spike Forehand
01-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Update: Full drive reformat seems to have done the trick. System operating as smooth as ever through about 3 days of use including BF3 and FC3.

And there was much rejoicing and knocking on wood.

Spike Forehand
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Oh - and my computer geek and PS3 user friend suggested that I clean all the air intakes cause he thinks it might be a heat thing. Haven't done that yet, but planning to.

Spike Forehand
06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Here we go again.

Doing my third file system rebuild of the week.

Trying to squeeze the last bit out of this puppy cause I sure don't wanna have to buy a new one with 7 months or so till PS4.

HardlyCapable13
06-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Good luck spike. Never a good feeling when the life left of a console is unknown!

TonkaToys
06-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Oh no! Where's the Defib when you need it?

Spike Forehand
06-17-2013, 08:07 PM
No joy so far. Reinstalling my original 40GB disk drive to see if that solves the issue. If that doesn't do it, then I'm thinking it's a new PS3 for me.

Spike Forehand
06-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Well - the reinstall of the original 40gb hard disk seems to have cured things for the moment. The one that was acting up was the non-original 250gb Western Digital HD that I installed about 18 months ago. Lost all that luxurious extra space :(

Howell - guess I'll just have to manage data/saves a little better. Tempted to again install something bigger, but a little worried that there may be some compatibility issues. Lets see how much is left after I load all the necessary stuff - like Skyrim saves, BF3 maps, and pinball tables :)