PDA

View Full Version : Money saving ideas

HardlyCapable13
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Thought it may be nice for people to post tips for saving $$$.
One of my biggest things is to change insurance companies every so often. Car insurance is a biggie. I've changed every couple of years and always got a lower price. Sometimes, even calling my current provider with a quote and threat to leave makes them come down.
The last time I changed I went from Geico to eSurance. I was paying $1134 for 6 months with Geico, and am now paying $492 for 6 months with eSurance. That's huge, and I don't think I'll find anything lower.

Dont forget to stay on top of your insurance companies. If not, they keep slowly rising your bills as you completely forget about them.
What are some of your money saving tips?

(cue Meg couponing conversation)

Retro
01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Food! We go by the "empty the fridge and pantry" rule. My wife basically plans out all meals a week ahead of time and makes the grocery list with only the needed ingredients for that week plus a few little bonuses.

We started to do this to get spending under control a few years ago when we added up how much we were wasting on food each month. In the end we cut about $700 in groceries each month that were basically getting wasted plus another $300 on eating out.

Sadly if I were to cut down on gaming crap we would probably save even more.

Danbo
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Sadly if I were to cut down on gaming crap we would probably save even more.

Don't! :becky:

Hey look on the bright side, we'll all save money on NHL stuff for the next few years.

Major Stains
01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
When I buy broccoli by weight, I always snap off the huge stem that our family doesn't use (some do).
With this huge saving, I plan to retire to the Caymen Islands in say, 1000 years!

mechatool
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
We treat savings as a bill we need to pay each week. Each week we have X amount of money automatically draw out of our checking account into savings. We also max out our 401k up to the amount our company matches. Remember to always pay your family first.

Major Stains
01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
On a more serious note, my advice for those with credit cards is to lose them as quickly as you can.
You will never make money whilst paying someone for nothing.

Since I left school, I have lived by the rule that if I want something I've just got to work bloody hard until I can afford to buy it! If I can't do that then I will not have it.
(That is until the giant noose around my head that is a mortgage on my house)

And always shop around before you make major purchases, which I guess is a no brainer. Looking for free warranties on electricals.

xMisFitToyx
01-11-2013, 03:42 PM
In 2004 we moved ... At that time we had Dish Network (Satellite TV). When we moved, I got rid of Dish and bought a BIG OL ASS antenna that I mounted above my house. I get perfectly clear digital reception .... and it does not cost me a dime. On a side note .... we do use Netflix ($8/month) and Vudu (approx $10/month) to stream various shows and movies. I figure, I'm saving $70 a month or maybe even more .... because I'm basing my estimate on what we were paying in 2004 ($90/month).

HardlyCapable13
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
In 2004 we moved ... At that time we had Dish Network (Satellite TV). When we moved, I got rid of Dish and bought a BIG OL ASS antenna that I mounted above my house. I get perfectly clear digital reception .... and it does not cost me a dime. On a side note .... we do use Netflix ($8/month) and Vudu (approx $10/month) to stream various shows and movies. I figure, I'm saving $70 a month or maybe even more .... because I'm basing my estimate on what we were paying in 2004 ($90/month).

I hear ya. The ONLY reason I still have DirecTV is for NFL Sunday Ticket.