PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Retro
01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/new-hd-zelda-revealed-for-wii-u

Nearly two years after it unveiled an HD concept at E3 2011, Nintendo has revealed its early thoughts and visual intentions for The Legend of Zelda on Wii U.
Franchise producer Eiji Aonuma, citing the scope and ambition of this new project, declined to do a full unveiling of the Wii U Zelda entry, but provided some insight into his team's mission. In essence, Nintendo is "rethinking the conventions of Zelda." Ideas like dungeons needing to be completed in order, and Zelda adventures being single-player only, are being set aside as the team focuses on "returning to basics." The goal of all this, Aonuma said, was to create a reborn Zelda - and more details on this will be shared as the game comes together.
But that wasn't all Aonuma detailed about his new Zelda endeavor. He discussed Nintendo's new visual approach for the game, which apparently is completely unlike the HD demo shown at E3 2011, but wasn't ready to be shown at this time.
Aonuma noted this still-mysterious "new style" developed as his team experimented bringing Zelda's many graphical styles into HD. The producer said over time something entirely new and unique evolved. There are many questions - and it seems as though we have a while to wait. No release window of any kind was provided for this new game. But for now, we have a brief glimpse into the direction of the HD future of Zelda.

Mutt
01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
It looks Zelda HD is a ways off. Does the series really need to be rebooted? I remember the tech demo Zelda they had for the GameCube and the artstyle was completely different than the Wind Waker which pissed a lot of people of. That was at first but people got over it. They didn't reveal much. In the meantime they are releasing Wind Waker HD. I never had a GameCube so I'll be getting it.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/nintendo_unveils_the_legend_of_zelda_wind_waker_hd _for_wii_u

Edit: Are you a fan of Zelda Retro? Would it make you buy a Wi U? They unveiled a lot today. I'll post about it later but I'm thinking they don't have much left for E3.

Borlaxx
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm thinking they don't have much left for E3.
The annouced several games today that they will be having playable demos at E3 like the new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros (all three will be must buys for me).

Also, Retro Studious is working on an exclusive that the rumors are will blow everyone's minds. Not to mention possible other 3rd party games and perhaps more info on games like Bayonetta 2 (another must buy for me).

I am a happy Nintendo fanboy today.

Borlaxx
06-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Figured I would revive this old thread to be the dedicated thread on Zelda Wii U.

By now most have seen the short but sweet video from this past E3, and a common question seemed to be if that was just a movie or actual game footage. Well, according to the producer, that is actual in-game gameplay footage from the game -- not a promo video. Hype level is climbing.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/16/the-legend-of-zelda-producer-confirms-wii-u-footage-was-in-game-.aspx

Who else in interested in this game? Do you like the apparent focus on open exploration over linear dungeon progression? Do you like the art style? What would you like to see added to the game that previous Zelda games did not have (I personally want more and interesting optional side quests and a leveling system based on experience).

HardlyCapable13
06-19-2014, 04:37 PM
I must admit, the last Zelda game I played was Ocarina on the N64, but it's one of my favorite game series of all time. So much nostalgia there.

Along with more open exploration and side quests, I would love to see a deep(ish) leveling/upgrade system. I know that would be straying a bit from what the game is about, but us OG Zelda fans are all grown up and it would be nice if this game evolved with us.

Mutt
06-19-2014, 04:43 PM
I think the open exploration was taken from Skyrim? I have never played the game but that's what I read over on GAF. Have either of you played Skyrim?

Borlaxx
06-19-2014, 04:59 PM
If you add together my characters I have played over 200 hours of Skyrim. I'm not expecting the new Zelda to have as much content as Skyrim (there literally seems to be no "end" to that game), but I will love being able to explore and forge my own path compared to the other 3D Zelda games. But Skyrim is hardly the first open world RPG, and thr producer even says in the E3 video that the first Zelda game was morr open world for it's time.

And yes, it would be awesome to have a leveling system. One of my favorite parts of RPGs is seeing my character get more powerful based on the enemies I kill and quests I complete, and having the choice to build them out like I want. I still want the classic item discovery of a Zelda game, but would love being able to unlock new moves, spells, and stat buffs as I progress, which goes with want interesting side quests for XP as well. I like knowing my character has prepared well and is a total bad ass by the time I get to the end game.

Retro
06-19-2014, 05:21 PM
If you add together my characters I have played over 200 hours of Skyrim.

Add up all the time I put into OoT and I'd bet it surpasses 2000 hours!

HardlyCapable13
06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't even want to know how many hours I've put into The Elder Scrolls games.

donhardeone
06-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Adding all of the time I've put into the Zelda franchise would likely be a very depressing stat. At any rate, I too would love to see a true leveling stem added into this iteration. I think that would add a bit more dimension to what is already a pretty g game formula for the franchise.

Borlaxx
06-23-2014, 12:27 PM
New Zelda game will likely have some sort of co-op multiplayer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/23/will-the-legend-of-zelda-on-wii-u-introduce-multiplayer?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

This could either be absolutely brilliant, or one of those things that makes you go "the single player could of been better if they didn't force multiplayer into the game."

What do you all think? I would love the inclusion of co-op if done well and it doesn't distract from the core experience.

HardlyCapable13
06-23-2014, 12:41 PM
This could either be absolutely brilliant, or one of those things that makes you go "the single player could of been better if they didn't force multiplayer into the game."

What do you all think? I would love the inclusion of co-op if done well and it doesn't distract from the core experience.

While I love the addition of co-op in games (if done correctly) I'm not sure a Zelda game should include it. It's always been Link. Who would join him, and why?

Of course, I could be way off on this...

Retro
06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Nope. Don't want co-op in Zelda. Main games in the Zelda series should be all about the single player experience, any kind of MP will take away from it. Not all games need MP and not all games need SP.

The news today has kind of soured me on the game.

HardlyCapable13
06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Now, if they finish the game and say, "let's make some co-op only dungeons to add as DLC", I'd be okay with that. Nothing to do with the story, just co-op dungeon crawling or something. As long as it doesn't take anything away from them developing the main game.

donhardeone
06-23-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm not excited in the slightest about this announcement. Who, how, what?!?!?! Maybe I'm being close-minded about it since it is my favorite franchise, but I just don't see how they could successfully add in MP to the game. I'd rather see them throw their effort toward leveling system or some kick-ass use for the GamePad over MP experience. To echo Retro...

Not all games need MP and not all games need SP.

Mutt
06-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Nope. Don't want co-op in Zelda. Main games in the Zelda series should be all about the single player experience, any kind of MP will take away from it. Not all games need MP and not all games need SP.

The news today has kind of soured me on the game.

It's been done before by Capcom and a lot of fun playing multiplayer in a Zelda game. Four Swords is a blast to play with friends.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords_Adventures

Retro
06-23-2014, 05:29 PM
It's been done before by Capcom and a lot of fun playing multiplayer in a Zelda game. Four Swords is a blast to play with friends.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Four_Swords_Adventures

I don't consider that a main Zelda game. Zelda games are about disappearing into the world and story. I don't want the addition of MP to take away from the SP experience. If it is completely separate from the main game, OK, but if it's adding co-op into the main game and story then no.

It would be like adding MP to Fallout. It's solitary experience.

Mutt
06-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Long time fans of the series were upset with A Link Between Worlds and the announcement that all items were accessible from the beginning and you could do any dungeon in any order. That game turned out pretty great. It was a change from the tried and true formula for years of doing a dungeon and picking up an item and accessing a new dungeon in a predetermined order.

Many criticize Nintendo for churning out the same games with their first part IPs and there's not enough change. Fans were apprehensive when Metroid went from a 2D Metroidvania game to a first person shooter with Metroid Prime. Retro studios take on the series is highly regarded. I'm confident that Nintendo has thought this out and I welcome change with the Zelda series or any of the big N's first party games for that matter. The company needs change and changing their games is OK.

donhardeone
06-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Four Swords was fun enough actually now that you mention it HC, but I personally don't consider it one of the main games in the franchise either. As Mutt points out for A Link Between Worlds, Nintendo made a moderate change to the series and it worked out really well (I thoroughly enjoyed that game). I was one of the ones complaining about that change, and I wound up eating my words...something I'd be fine to do with this change in the future if it works. Zelda is one of those games that holds more nostalgia than any other series for me, and as such is one of the few games I'd be perfectly fine if they stuck to the same mold every game (I know, I'm weird). If done correctly, I'm sure I will enjoy it despite my current complaints. I am just struggling to see how they will implement MP for the upcoming title at this point without changing how the game is approached drastically. When it comes to Zelda, I feel similar to Retro based off his above comments...one of the main things I love about the Zelda games is getting so immersed into the game by myself and pushing through the game solo. If the focus shifts more towards MP than SP, it changes one of the big reasons I even play the series.

HardlyCapable13
06-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Four Swords was fun enough actually now that you mention it HC

I didn't.

donhardeone
06-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Heh...oops.

HardlyCapable13
01-14-2015, 09:22 AM
New gameplay footage from The Game Awards.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/06/new-gameplay-shown-from-the-legend-of-zelda-wii-u

Judging from the comments, I should have watched this with sound on. Seems like a good laugh.

HardlyCapable13
03-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Zelda WiiU delayed beyond 2015 and won't be at E3.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/legend-zelda-wii-u-delayed-220723224.html

Retro
03-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Zelda WiiU delayed beyond 2015 and won't be at E3.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/legend-zelda-wii-u-delayed-220723224.html
Saw that coming a mile away. Zelda games always get delayed and this one was getting some negative feedback in the press last fall.

HardlyCapable13
03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Saw that coming a mile away. Zelda games always get delayed and this one was getting some negative feedback in the press last fall.

Didn't they announce a new console next year though?

Retro
03-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Didn't they announce a new console next year though?
No, it looks like some type of mobile thing.

If Nintendo drops the WiiU and puts out a new home console now, they will alienate their entire fanbase.

Major Stains
03-28-2015, 10:30 AM
If Nintendo drops the WiiU and puts out a new home console now, they will alienate their entire fanbase.

Ain't that the truth!

One thing they do ensure, is highly polished games but the the downside of this delay is that 2015 will be a very dry year for games on this console.
What's coming of any note? Splatoon...Project Cars (later than other consoles and no doubt scaled down)...can't think of many other titles that will make me rush out and buy them for my poor neglected Wii U.

Retro
03-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Ain't that the truth!

One thing they do ensure, is highly polished games but the the downside of this delay is that 2015 will be a very dry year for games on this console.
What's coming of any note? Splatoon...Project Cars (later than other consoles and no doubt scaled down)...can't think of many other titles that will make me rush out and buy them for my poor neglected Wii U.

I was ready to finally drop the cash on a Wii U this fall. But no Zelda = no buy, for now.

Borlaxx
03-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Wish it wasn't delayed, but at least with Nintendo games you can be assured that when it is released it will be polished to perfection.

Major Stains
04-01-2015, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_YJRRGPi4&sns=em

donhardeone
04-06-2015, 07:05 AM
I hate to hear this, but based solely off the footage they showed already it didn't look anywhere close to ready for launch in 2015. Oh well, looks like WiiU purchase for my household is likely delayed another year. As others have said though, unlike some other titles that were delayed and still had issues, it is safe to assume that by this game being delayed Nintendo will have it near perfection by launch.

Retro
04-27-2016, 04:04 PM
It's like every post about this game involves a delay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc26lddYSE

HardlyCapable13
04-27-2016, 11:14 PM
You're right Retro. Worse than The Division. I bought the Wii U for this game only, and am really regretting that decision. It has seen more playtime than my PS4, but sadly is now in the box stored away as well. I'd seriously be surprised if it actually comes out on the U.

Major Stains
04-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Delayed until March 2017 you say?
Why, isn't that the same time that they release the new console?
Yes, yes it is. Well how about that.

With less than a year to go until the Wii U becomes redundant, plus no major titles coming to the Wii U this year.
Now is the time to sell it if you aren't keeping it for the long haul.

I'm torn. Do I keep it just for the kids to play MK8 from time to time (which they seem over).
Everytime I turn it on to join the old MPs, there is never anyone on. So its pretty much had its time for me (sadly).

Nintendo can keep their new device. They lost my loyalty when they failed to woo the crucial 3rd party devs and kept everything within their circle of trust. Fine for the purists, but I like to mix up my gaming.

HardlyCapable13
04-29-2016, 02:48 PM
I totally agree Stains. I'm selling mine and Nintendo will never see another dime from me, unless they wise up and go the route of Sega. I can guarantee they'd make more money that way. But I think their false sense of pride will prevent that from ever happening.

I turned my back on Nintendo post N64 because I didn't like the direction they were going. And, in my eyes, they've continued to spiral down. I did buy the Wii U solely for the new Zelda, and they pretty much spit in my face.

Never again, Nintendo.

Retro
04-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Y'all lucky "he whose name shall not be spoken" isn't here to see your posts... :cool (2):

HardlyCapable13
04-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Y'all lucky "he whose name shall not be spoken" isn't here to see your posts... :cool (2):

Right. I forgot I can't express my opinion. :shocked:

Major Stains
01-13-2017, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

wesleytomaz
01-14-2017, 05:18 AM
This trailer looks great!

Major Stains
03-06-2017, 04:43 AM
So I went and picked up the Wii U's Swan Song today.

It was a moment of weakness, and I figured it would complete my collection.
As angry as I am with how Nintendo presented the Wii U to the world and the resulting PR disaster, I still think it is a really fun, original console. Giving users a vast back catalogue well before Sony or Microsoft offered the same service, as well as attempting yet another truly unique gaming experience.

Yes, I know that ultimately it has sat gathering dust for a while, with the occasional faimly game night. As many of you know my gaming pretty much revolves around enjoying multiplayer titles with MPs and sadly the Wii U could no longer offer that.

But I digress... Zelda looks amazing, I can't wait to get stuck in.

Major Stains
03-06-2017, 10:48 AM
http://i65.tinypic.com/2up7r7l.png

GRRowl74
03-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Doesn't do much for my panties, but it does make me want to look a bit closer at that Switch thingy.

Major Stains
03-10-2017, 04:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NVzVIjBPc

HardlyCapable13
03-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Have no MPeeps played this? I'm really curious to hear some comments.

Major Stains
03-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Have no MPeeps played this? I'm really curious to hear some comments.

I'm desperate to unwrap it, but want to know that when I do fire it up I can get fully immersed in it. What with moving (now delayed 4 weeks again), and all the other games in rotation, I don't want to start it, drop it, and lose some of its magic.

HardlyCapable13
03-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I don't want to start it only to drop it for Mass Effect. I'm sure I won't be able to resist next week though. I wanted to save it for just while I travel, but I've been waiting so long for this game...

Retro
03-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Pretty much how I feel about Nintendo fanboys. I find them to be the worst of the worst. NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dA6P1X5yHs

Major Stains
03-15-2017, 04:01 PM
I know his case point was over zealous Zelda fanboys, but as he mentions in his summary, you can apply this mentality to so many groups and individuals throughout society who have a basic inability to see any other opinion or viewpoint apart from their own. Be it politics, gun control, feminism, racism, immigration, whatever. So many of us are hard wired with a fundamental flaw in seeing reason.
And in light of the current situation in East Africa, I find the whole thing abhorrent.

Retro
03-15-2017, 04:19 PM
I know his case point was over zealous Zelda fanboys, but as he mentions in his summary, you can apply this mentality to so many groups and individuals throughout society who have a basic inability to see any other opinion or viewpoint apart from their own. Be it politics, gun control, feminism, racism, immigration, whatever. So many of us are hard wired with a fundamental flaw in seeing reason.
And in light of the current situation in East Africa, I find the whole thing abhorrent.

Definitely. But in gaming, I just find Nintendo fanboys to be the absolute worst. There is no ability to have a legitimate discussion in pointing out valid criticism of anything Nintendo with them. Case in point, the entire Team MP Nintendo side who "took their ball and went home" after getting mad because the Wii U was roundly and legitimately criticized. Not blindly hated on, but criticized with valid points. That was just here, never-mind the internet at large.

Hell, certain members were accused of buying a Nintendo product just so they could slag it. Seriously?

HardlyCapable13
03-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Hell, certain members were accused of buying a Nintendo product just so they could slag it. Seriously?

:becky:

wesleytomaz
03-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Definitely. But in gaming, I just find Nintendo fanboys to be the absolute worst.

Hey, I'm offended.
LOL

Retro
03-16-2017, 09:20 AM
***NSFW***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s&t=1s

HardlyCapable13
03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
@Retro: He's dead on. This "weapons durability" system might just have me quitting the game all together and selling the Switch. It's that fucking annoying. The game is fun as shit, until your weapon breaks and you scream and curse (this happens every battle, sometimes more than once in a battle).

I'm still trying to process what these twit designers were trying to accomplish with it. It adds absolutely nothing to the game.

HardlyCapable13
04-01-2017, 08:55 PM
So I just realized I haven't written up my thoughts on this game in this thread yet. I'll have to remedy that soon.

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm still having a blast with this game. For those that don't know, I bought the Switch as a portable console only (for use when I'm on the road for extended periods, which it's been amazing for). So, I just want to make it clear that I'm not sure if I'm loving the game because it's great to play in hotels on the road, or if it's genuinely THAT good. I guess time will tell if I continue to play it when I'm home instead of something on my xBone or PS4...