PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. George Jones

donhardeone
04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Like several of you, I actually prefer rock and such...however it is hard to argue how much George Jones contributed to country music. A legend for sure has passed away...from the Washington Post:

George Jones, the peerless, hard-living country singer who recorded dozens of hits about good times and regrets and peaked with the heartbreaking classic “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” has died. He was 81.
Jones died Friday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, according to his publicist Kirt Webster. He had been hospitalized with fever and irregular blood pressure, forcing him to postpone two shows.

With one of the most golden voices of any genre, a clenched, precise, profoundly expressive baritone, Jones had No. 1 songs in five separate decades, 1950s to 1990s. He was idolized not just by fellow country artists, but by Frank Sinatra, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, James Taylor and countless others.

While I am not a huge country music fan, there is little denying the passion he had for music and that he had a profound impact on many musicians across genres. Sad day.

Retro
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Man that sucks. I don't care about genres or labels, if it sounds good it is good and George Jones sounded good.

tweety
04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Back in the day I met him and his wife in a beauty salon I use to work at. Cut his and his wife's hair. Wasn't a huge fan, but he was and will always be a legend. RiP No Show George.