PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein: The New Order

HardlyCapable13
05-07-2013, 08:38 AM
http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/2/3/7/714237_317718_thumb.jpg

Well, this is Bethesda's big reveal.
I played the shit out of the original (the first FPS ever if I remember correctly).
The trailer doesn't show anything, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0bw8bdqP8s

pete-21
05-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Wolfenstein, loved that game. Played it over several times and each time some of the encounters scared the shit out of me, maybe playing in a darkened room with headphones turned up loud was not the best way to play it, lol.

Spike Forehand
05-16-2014, 03:39 PM
This might be a must buy for me as long as the reviews don't suck.

NSFW Curse Words Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENTC-mAQ0tI

Gotta love a trailer where the first spoken words are "Fuck me!"

I remember being so incredibly blown away by the original shareware PC version. I thought it was so cool to have a game that you played from the players viewpoint.

HardlyCapable13
05-16-2014, 03:42 PM
This might be a must buy for me as long as the reviews don't suck.

I'll let you know Tuesday night after I spend some time with it.

Major Stains
05-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Gotta love a trailer where the first spoken words are "Fuck me!"

It had me at the oompah version of 'House of the Rising Sun'!

Snowblind
05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Picking it up Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll try and get some time on it before the weekend and give my thoughts.

HardlyCapable13
05-19-2014, 11:11 PM
IGN gives it a 7.8

THE VERDICT

Wolfenstein: The New Order is the melding of your typical, everyday shooter with quality writing and a cast of believable and relatable characters. Machinegames' more grounded treatment of the often way over-the-top alternate Nazi history is also a nice touch, and while The New Order is in no way, shape, or form a simulation of the real world, its 10-to-12 hour campaign can certainly make you stop and wonder more than, say, Raven's 2009's occult-centric Wolfenstein reboot.

With an essential early-game choice that makes it worth playing through twice, the story at the center of Wolfenstein: The New Order props up its competent -- but mostly unremarkable -- shooting.

Full review: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/20/wolfenstein-the-new-order-review

Retro
05-19-2014, 11:28 PM
So the 20 hour game play was apparently if you play it through twice.

Retro
05-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Destructoid:

7.5/10

Good: A solid game that definitely has an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

Full Review (http://www.destructoid.com/review-wolfenstein-the-new-order-274633.phtml)

FeelinKorny
05-20-2014, 06:31 AM
See I don't mind the 10-12 hour play through for each storyline. 20+ hours is solid in my book. I only question how different each storyline is. Is it like a new game or is it only a few things changed? Like rather then person A give a speech its person B giving the same speech.

I think Im going to sit this one out and wait for Watch Dogs next week. But once this one goes on sale or gets a price drop Ill jump on it.

HardlyCapable13
05-20-2014, 08:46 AM
See I don't mind the 10-12 hour play through for each storyline.

IMO that is too short for a full priced retail game with no MP. FPS games have zero replayability for me, with the exception being FC3 (because it's more open world sandbox style). I know the story "changes" based on a decision you make, but I seriously doubt it will change the game enough to make it a new experience.

Gink
05-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Disappointing that it's so short. Everything I've seen looked pretty fun, was looking forward to a little more fun than 10-12. 15 seems like the minimum anymore to not feel too short. LoU, Tomb Raider were about 15, Infinite was 12-13 and felt a bit short, but I could see myself replaying it at some point. Still, these days I prefer a somewhat short, linear shooter with a decent story and regular action to a lengthy sandbox with a forgettable story and highly repetitive side quests.

Retro
05-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Looks like it's a PS+/GFG type of game. I'll wait for that.

Spike Forehand
05-20-2014, 12:31 PM
I was kinda looking forward to killing some Nazi's this weekend, but now am undecided.

I may go ahead and pick it up for PS4 and do the quick turn around e-bay sale. Or, if you guys wanna try it maybe we can share it around and then sell it.

FeelinKorny
05-20-2014, 03:14 PM
IMO that is too short for a full priced retail game with no MP. FPS games have zero replayability for me, with the exception being FC3 (because it's more open world sandbox style). I know the story "changes" based on a decision you make, but I seriously doubt it will change the game enough to make it a new experience.

I agree for a full priced retail game with no MP 12 hours is to short. BUT if the 2nd storyline is actually different enough from the first play through to feel like a new experience, thus making it a 20-22 hour game then Id say its a more justifiable purchase. But as you said I doubt it will change the game enough to make it a new experience. Which is why Ill just wait for a price drop. Or trade for it on craigslist.

Spike Forehand
05-20-2014, 03:18 PM
I would buy it for sure if I could get someone to trade me South Park on PS3 for it after I play through it.

Any takers?

Spike Forehand
05-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Still a little torn, but I'm gonna skip it cause we get Watch Dogs next week and there's just no reason to pay full price for a game that I can get for $30 in a month and that's so short.

Plus, I still got a couple of legendaries to sink in AC4. Aaarrrrggghh!!!!

HardlyCapable13
05-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Okay, here's some first thoughts (I'm about 4 hours in on Xbox One).

I've been enjoying it more than I thought I would. I grew up on the original Wolfenstein, but hadn't played one since, so wasn't sure what to expect. I won't bore you with the story elements, but it's pretty interesting.

The FPS gameplay is smooth and a blast. The lean from cover feature is a nice addition. Graphics are pretty, but no where near Ryse, which I believe still has the bar set for the new gen (nothing has come close to that game IMO). There is an upgrade skill tree, which gives you perks for completing certain challenges (get 5 grenade kills, increase grenade capacity; stuff like that). Also tons of collectables, which are actually fun to hunt for. There is no map unless you find it in the level. In certain parts of the levels there are "radiomen" who will sound the alarm if spotted or if you engage in a firefight. Backup will not stop coming until you kill the radioman after the alarm has sounded. This adds an awesome stealth side to the game, which I had no clue was there (reminds me of Dishonored, if you've ever played that). It's pretty on rails, but the maps are open enough to provide multiple ways of completing each section (most times).

A couple gripes: first off, the picking up of ammo/health is so dumb. You actually have to look down at it and press a button (you're pretty much doing this with every person you kill). Why would you ever walk over ammo and not want to pick it up. It gets super annoying, super fast. I cannot believe they thought it would be a good idea to make it this way, then it got past testing.

Second (and last for now): I was in a pretty heavy firefight which lasted a couple minutes. In that time, one of the first guys I killed, who was laying in front of me, disappeared. You would think that on the "new-gen" at least, enemies wouldn't just go away after being dead for a couple minutes (especially with all this "amazing cloud based power" the X1 keeps telling us about.

In the end, it is a solid and fluid FPS. If you're looking for a fun shooter, I would recommend it (although maybe as a rental as it's supposed to be way short and no multiplayer). While it may be mindless (not quite so much as BF campaigns), it doesn't take itself too seriously and is a good bit of fun.

Edit: ok, one more bad. The AI is terrible. Laughably so. Deaf, blind, and dumb.

HardlyCapable13
05-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Awesome Easter egg I just found.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/d3b3d869a58f79a5651da27baf688b1a_zpsd2f974e8.jpg

FeelinKorny
05-21-2014, 06:18 AM
I seen you was playing it last night. I was going to msg you and ask how it was but I figured you should post something on here. If Watch Dogs wasn't coming out next week and my wife didn't buy Rayman I would prob of grabbed Wolf. But given the situation Ill just pass on it for now. But it does seem like a solid fun shooter.

HardlyCapable13
05-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Awesome Easter egg I just found.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/d3b3d869a58f79a5651da27baf688b1a_zpsd2f974e8.jpg

Holy damn! Just saw on the interwebs that if you look down at the bed under this poster you go to sleep and enter "nightmare mode", which allows you to play the original Wolfenstein 3D! That is awesomeness!

Guess I didn't quite explore enough...

HardlyCapable13
05-25-2014, 06:00 PM
So I've got a good bit of time in this game and am way bored. Later level design is pretty bad and more "on-rails". Just trying to beat it but may not even be able to bring myself to do that.

FeelinKorny
05-25-2014, 06:11 PM
So I've got a good bit of time in this game and am way bored. Later level design is pretty bad and more "on-rails". Just trying to beat it but may not even be able to bring myself to do that.

Don't tell me this! That's how Killzone felt. Started off great but then turned into a meh shooter.

HardlyCapable13
05-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Don't tell me this! That's how Killzone felt. Started off great but then turned into a meh shooter.

This is way better than Killzone.