PDA

View Full Version : War Thunder

Retro
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-nDelTC80

Developer and Publisher Gaijin Entertainment are launching War Thunder, a military MMO that will make its debut on the PlayStation 4 this Holiday season.
The game is based on the World War II era and will allow players to take part in “action filled, highly explosive …battles from the air, mobilized on the ground or out at sea.”

The game will utilize the power of the PlayStation 4 to “redefine War Thunder’s rich gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization, deeply integrated social capabilities, and innovative cloud options.” It will also feature lifelike dynamics of real-time flight and precision in the details of planes, tanks and warships. The PS4 will “allow developers to include improved head-tracking system, easier socializing tools, smart and easy options to record, stream and share homemade gameplay videos and will have full support of PlayStation Cloud.”
Currently, over 1.5 million players are enjoying the PC version of War Thunder (http://warthunder.com/en/registration), which is currently in open beta. A mobile version is also in development.

TonkaToys
02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
I give this a try (PS4) and quite enjoyed it - the research tree seems quite complex, and there are of course plenty of benefits to being a paying customer (double XP etc).

But I held my own (well it is called a cockpit, fnar fnar) in the few matches I played, even against people with better planes. This was mainly to do with the MP mindset of PTFO whilst everyone else is dogfighting.

Anyhow, let me know if you want to have a go... you can form squadrons and somesuch which I guess are like clans / platoons. I'm flying Brit planes, but I think it lets you gang up based on Axis vs. Allies rather than by country (will have to test).

HB721
02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I am kind of jealous of the PS4 owners.

TonkaToys
02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
You know how to remedy that, HB...

Quite like this game, it does a good job of putting you into multiplayer matches that equal your skill level. The research tree is bonkers though.

Apparently they are working on making the game cross platform, so that PS4 and PC players can join the same matches.

HB721
02-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Xbox will always be my first choice I think, but later this year I do plan on getting a PS4.

Major Stains
02-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I keep meaning to download this...if they have Spitfires then I'm sold!

TonkaToys
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Yeah spitfire, hurricanes, mosquitoes, typhoons all feature on the UK research tree. I unlocked a hurricane pretty sharpish, you can get a spitfire quite quickly too.

Major Stains
02-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Yeah spitfire, hurricanes, mosquitoes, typhoons all feature on the UK research tree. I unlocked a hurricane pretty sharpish, you can get a spitfire quite quickly too.

Then I guess it's chocks away!

HB721
02-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Gaijin loves flight sims.

Spike Forehand
06-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Been playing this a lot this week on PS4. Also was able to squad up with Madlob the other night for some missions.

As a sim, it really is probably much easier/cleaner to navigate and play this game on a PC but nonetheless there is something very addicting about this game that has me pretty hooked. Last night, I just had to hit "TO BATTLE!" again and again to get in just one more bombing run or dog fight. Ended up being up to 4:30 AM.

For tips, I watched a bunch of this guys's beginner's tutorials - which was super helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEdQ0rQLBog

The very best tip was the "boom and zoom" technique to pick off enemies. The key really is to NOT get in dog fights, but instead look for easy opportunities to zoom down behind engaged enemies and take them out quickly. He talks a lot about building and managing energy through altitude and how important it was. It's made it a lot more fun to fly using that technique. I've found while my kill count doesn't really increase much with this - cause it takes a bit longer - at least I don't die as much.

Bombing can also be pretty fun, and you have two options - fly super high and carpet bomb targets while remaining unseen (generally no one wants to bother flying all the way up to get you), or fly down low and enter the fray to drop bombs directly on targets. From up high you can definitely have a big impact on advancing the objectives cause only a couple of passes will be enough to destroy enemy bases, but down low can be more satisfying cause you will cause more individual damage to ground targets but will get your ass shot up pretty good.

The only thing that's driving me crazy is that in the tutorial you could use a plane with rockets which was super fun, but I can't for the life of me figure out how which planes to unlock to get them. If anyone knows that, let me know. I'll keep digging.

The tank play is shit though - I hated it. IMO don't waste your time on it.

Me and Madlob played one tank match the other night and here's how it went:

- Spend 5 minutes driving a clunky not very maneuverable tank up to where the action is.
- Spot one guy and get a partial hit.
- Get decimated by someone who snuck up on me.
- Get stuck behind a rock after respawning a million miles from the action.
- Match ends.

Retro
06-14-2014, 12:53 PM
I had forgotten all about this!!!! I need to download it.

Madlob75
06-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Gave this a go again last night and had fun. There is ALOT to this game and I'm still confused by how the research and all the different points you earn work. I'm garbage in dogfights so I try and just stick to straffing runs on the ground targets. I keep wishing the controls were more like BF3 style and I think I finally figured out a way to do that when I CE'd, I called it a night before I got to try it out. I'll be on again tonight to try out my new PBY bomber.

Spike Forehand
06-17-2014, 12:06 PM
The PBY is really only useful for bombing bases from up high, and it's so freakin slow that it will drive you nuts getting over the target. If you try to dive down into the action with it, you will get destroyed quickly cause it's so slow and fragile.

You should work on unlocking the A20G or the B25J as quick as you can, as with those you'll have way more fun. They both are more durable, have multiple gunners, and are much, much faster. I use the A20G with four 1000 lb bombs for base bombing and the B25 with 12 100 lb bombs for hard targets.

Retro
06-17-2014, 12:09 PM
How quickly do things unlock? Is it a painful slow grind or can you unlock stuff quickly?

HardlyCapable13
06-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Tried this yesterday. Wasn't really into the "mouse cursor" flight controls. Need to spend some more time with it.

Spike Forehand
06-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Pretty slow if you don't wanna spend any money, but the good thing is that there's a system that limits higher level aircraft from entering battles with lower level aircraft to prevent mismatches. I have 3 level 2 planes and 3 level one planes in my hanger, so in matches I enter you will never see anything higher than level 2.

It seems like aircraft mods will unlock pretty quick through earning exp, but to unlock new aircraft is much slower or costs golden eagles and you have to buy them.

If you don't want to spend any money, then be cautious about how you spend your initial golden eagles as you won't get any more.

I've spent $30 so far, and have about 4000 golden eagles left that I will spend eventually, but waiting until I feel like I know what I'm doing more.

Make sure to view at least some of entak's videos.

Retro
06-17-2014, 12:19 PM
I have it downloading. I'll give it a try sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Madlob75
06-17-2014, 07:50 PM
I almost have my controls perfect, but I keep CE'ing. From what I can tell, a lot of the flight controls are paired with the tank controls. When you try and change them it gets very upset. I was able to change the stick controls to a more Battlefield style and it's been a huge help. I use the right stick for pitch up and down and yaw left to right. Roll is left stick left to right and speed is left stick up/down. I can't get the sensitivity correct for the speed so I'm pretty much full throttle all the time. Every time I try and change it I get booted out. My yaw sensitivity needs to be reduced a bit, but over all it's ok. If I can get the speed worked out, I'll be very happy. No more randomly losing control.....hopefully.

Spike Forehand
06-18-2014, 06:05 PM
I have gotten so use to the default controls I'll probably never be able to fly in BF4 again - lol. They seem fine for bombers - I kind of actually like the auto-leveling - but are pretty bad for dog fighting.

Tough matches last night. It also made me wonder if there were any shenanigans going on. Couldn't believe how many times I'd get almost one-shotted and my wing would fall off, yet that B25 took like two full racks of ammo from me before he went down. I wStec three planes working on that guy.

Retro
06-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I got just a little taste yesterday but I could see getting hooked on this game. Definitely feels like it would require a fair amount of time even become mediocre (I would call my performance "mediocre" but that would be an insult to the word).

HardlyCapable13
06-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Did you guys realize that online play is cross platform with PC?

PS4 users have a * by their name in the scoreboard. Pretty cool.

Uglyduck213
02-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Any MP's still playing this? I just got into it and am looking for some teammates

TonkaToys
02-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Haven't played for ages (3 years!!! unbelievable).

I might try firing it up again just to see what has changed.

Uglyduck213
02-14-2017, 07:57 PM
I havnt played in a couple of years probably and found the menu controls on console to be much improved. I don't have to use the PS4 trackpad to navigate unless I want to. Now that I'm figuring out the gameplay I really enjoy the ground forces. Working up the RP for a Tiger I...what a grind without a premium account!

Uglyduck213
03-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Tonka, are you interested in linking up? I've had a hell of a time finding other MP's playing this. There is a huge following still and the game is massive.

If anyone else is interested in this title on PS4 please send me a friend request or invite. I've worked up to tier III in US, Germany, and Russian tanks and just got rolling on aircraft. Having a blast and looking for other MP's to link up with.

TonkaToys
03-28-2017, 02:48 AM
I'm spread a bit thin (not that my wife thinks that when she looks at my belly) with all the games I've got to play, but I will don the helmet and growl "chocks away" and try not to make any stains when I crash into the (south)town.

[Sorry - that last bit turned into some sort of weird MP punning name check thing for some reason]

When are you on normally?