PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion: Buying a Wii U was a mistake

Borlaxx
07-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Finally got around to calling Nintendo, and after trying some stuff they agreed the gamepad is malfunctioning and they want me to send it in for repairs. One thing I found strange was they want me to also send in two of my games with the gamepad so they can test it with my copies of games. Seems a bit silly, but oh well.

Honestly, I have barely missed not being able to play the Wii U for well over a month now. My son and I were using the system a lot prior to this problem, but since it started I have picked up several used games for my PS3 and now have very little desire to play the Wii U. Even my son, who loved the system, is now more interested in playing games on the PS3. If I had the PS3 version of Skylanders Giants and not the Wii U version, he wouldn't even care at all if we never got it fixed.

Honestly, if I could go back to last year when I bought the Wii U and do it again, I wouldn't have, and here are my reasons why:

1) The third party support I thought was going to be there is not. The only 3rd party who has supported the system well, Ubisoft, is even saying they are only giving Nintendo to the end of the year to turn things around. First party games are awesome, but the lack of good 3rd party games is the reason I went from Wii to PS3, and I see a similar fate happening here.

2) The first party games are taking too long to come out, and even some of those that have been announced seem *meh* at best. The new "3D" Mario game they revealed at E3 doesn't look innovative at all like Mario Galaxy was, the new Donkey Kong game looks good but the system doesn't need another damn side-scrolling platformer, and even the new Mario Kart (once my favorite series ever) doesn't seem like that big a deal since others have recently done the changing vehicles thing (Sonic Racing Transformed) and it isn't going to have a track editor and track sharing features which gives kart racers like Modnation and Little Big Planet Karting longevity. Having no idea when the actual new Zelda will be released, and still no mention of a new Metroid or Star Fox is also very disappointing.

3) The operating system is still slow. My PS3, a much older machine, still runs rings around the Wii U.

4) Some of the features that at first made the Wii U seem special will now be done by the competitors, like offscreen play (PS4), and likely done even better like TV features (Xbox1). Nintendo TV is a waste of time.

5) I have had more fun playing Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Rage, Little Big Planet Karting, and Skyrim the past several weeks that I have had playing anything on Wii U. Looking at the dozens of great games I still want to play on the PS3, and not finding one I still want to play on Wii U, speaks volumes.

At the end of the day is seems to be that Nintendo rushed the system to market just to be out before the PS4 and Xbox1 without optimizing it and making sure there are games people want to play. That is not the Nintendo I remember as a child, and not the Nintendo I thought I knew when I bought the system last year. I feel like I made a $350+ mistake.

When I finally get my gamepad back I will likely finish Legocity Undercover and then sell the whole system if I can actually find a buyer. The fact is that the PS4 and Xbox1 will have many, many more quality games, especially from 3rd parties, and I have a hard time justifying keeping the system solely for the next Smash Bros, whenever that actually comes out. When (and if) the system starts to actually have new games I want to play more than the used games I still want to play on the PS3, then I may buy it again........probably for dirt cheap.

Not trying to be gloom and doom or put anyone down who still loves it, but in my personal opinion the Wii U at this point is failing hard, and I will not be surprised if it is Nintendo's last console.

Danbo
07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Well most of you probably know I feel somewhat as if I'm in the same boat as Borlaxx.

The one thing that will make me keep the console is MP presence. The people I game with are just as/if not MORE important than the games I play. If no one is on BO2, I will just shut the damn thing off and go do something else. This might not be the case of a console (Probably PS4) which has decent single player material for me to enjoy.

Yes it may be a mistake, having bought the console, but in my humble opinion, there are enough perks for now for me to justify keeping it. Plus, I know for a fact my daughter will keep on loving this console far after I am done with it.

Mutt
07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Finally got around to calling Nintendo, and after trying some stuff they agreed the gamepad is malfunctioning and they want me to send it in for repairs. One thing I found strange was they want me to also send in two of my games with the gamepad so they can test it with my copies of games. Seems a bit silly, but oh well.

Honestly, I have barely missed not being able to play the Wii U for well over a month now. My son and I were using the system a lot prior to this problem, but since it started I have picked up several used games for my PS3 and now have very little desire to play the Wii U. Even my son, who loved the system, is now more interested in playing games on the PS3. If I had the PS3 version of Skylanders Giants and not the Wii U version, he wouldn't even care at all if we never got it fixed.

Honestly, if I could go back to last year when I bought the Wii U and do it again, I wouldn't have, and here are my reasons why:

1) The third party support I thought was going to be there is not. The only 3rd party who has supported the system well, Ubisoft, is even saying they are only giving Nintendo to the end of the year to turn things around. First party games are awesome, but the lack of good 3rd party games is the reason I went from Wii to PS3, and I see a similar fate happening here.

2) The first party games are taking too long to come out, and even some of those that have been announced seem *meh* at best. The new "3D" Mario game they revealed at E3 doesn't look innovative at all like Mario Galaxy was, the new Donkey Kong game looks good but the system doesn't need another damn side-scrolling platformer, and even the new Mario Kart (once my favorite series ever) doesn't seem like that big a deal since others have recently done the changing vehicles thing (Sonic Racing Transformed) and it isn't going to have a track editor and track sharing features which gives kart racers like Modnation and Little Big Planet Karting longevity. Having no idea when the actual new Zelda will be released, and still no mention of a new Metroid or Star Fox is also very disappointing.

3) The operating system is still slow. My PS3, a much older machine, still runs rings around the Wii U.

4) Some of the features that at first made the Wii U seem special will now be done by the competitors, like offscreen play (PS4), and likely done even better like TV features (Xbox1). Nintendo TV is a waste of time.

5) I have had more fun playing Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Rage, Little Big Planet Karting, and Skyrim the past several weeks that I have had playing anything on Wii U. Looking at the dozens of great games I still want to play on the PS3, and not finding one I still want to play on Wii U, speaks volumes.

At the end of the day is seems to be that Nintendo rushed the system to market just to be out before the PS4 and Xbox1 without optimizing it and making sure there are games people want to play. That is not the Nintendo I remember as a child, and not the Nintendo I thought I knew when I bought the system last year. I feel like I made a $350+ mistake.

When I finally get my gamepad back I will likely finish Legocity Undercover and then sell the whole system if I can actually find a buyer. The fact is that the PS4 and Xbox1 will have many, many more quality games, especially from 3rd parties, and I have a hard time justifying keeping the system solely for the next Smash Bros, whenever that actually comes out. When (and if) the system starts to actually have new games I want to play more than the used games I still want to play on the PS3, then I may buy it again........probably for dirt cheap.

Not trying to be gloom and doom or put anyone down who still loves it, but in my personal opinion the Wii U at this point is failing hard, and I will not be surprised if it is Nintendo's last console.

1). What did they expect with ports from multiplats with the exception of ZombiU?

2) I'd rather they don't rush a game out the door.

3) How many systems updates has the PS3 had in 8 years?

4) Agree with the exception of the Vita. Memory cards are too expensive when you can get much cheaper SD cards.

5) The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Breeze, Super Mario 3D World, Zelda Windwaker HD, Zelda U, Bayonneta 2, Super Smash Bros U, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Monolith's X, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 4, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty Ghosts are a few games that are coming.

Borlaxx
07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
1). What did they expect with ports from multiplats with the exception of ZombiU?

2) I'd rather they don't rush a game out the door.

3) How many systems updates has the PS3 had in 8 years?

4) Agree with the exception of the Vita. Memory cards are too expensive when you can get much cheaper SD cards.

5) The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Breeze, Super Mario 3D World, Zelda Windwaker HD, Zelda U, Bayonneta 2, Super Smash Bros U, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Monolith's X, Mario Kart 8, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 4, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty Ghosts are a few games that are coming.

1. They probably expected Nintendo to release a console that was ready for release, move systems with more 1st party games than Nintendoland and NSMBU, and actually advertise the system (I know I did.)

2. I'd rather they not rush a system out that was missing multiple features with very few games worth playing.

3. A lot, but to add features, not really optomize performance. The big update Nintendo did on the U helped but it is still slow and briefly freezes. Probably a hardware issue that can't be helped much more with software updates.

4. I'm still waiting to see how the Vita will work with the ps4, and if u will need a memory card for offscreen play. Also, unlike the gamepad, the Vita is also its own portable system.

5. Like I said, the games on that list either don't interest me, have no announced release date, or will likely be better on another system.

Mutt
07-09-2013, 02:54 PM
1. They probably expected Nintendo to release a console that was ready for release, move systems with more 1st party games than Nintendoland and NSMBU, and actually advertise the system (I know I did.)

2. I'd rather they not rush a system out that was missing multiple features with very few games worth playing.

3. A lot, but to add features, not really optomize performance. The big update Nintendo did on the U helped but it is still slow and briefly freezes. Probably a hardware issue that can't be helped much more with software updates.

4. I'm still waiting to see how the Vita will work with the ps4, and if u will need a memory card for offscreen play. Also, unlike the gamepad, the Vita is also its own portable system.

5. Like I said, the games on that list either don't interest me, have no announced release date, or will likely be better on another system.

1) I agree. They should of had more first party games than what they did and a pack in game like Wii Sports to truly showcase what the system is. In 30 seconds of the Wii launch commercial they projected exactly what the console is about
http://youtu.be/mI0wdnO9uG8 Nintendo should gone back to that advertising firm and the name escapes me.

2) I agree it felt like they rushed it with the OS and the issues it had at launch. Other than the NNID being tied to the console which I believe they are going to fix, what features are they missing?

3) I'm not familiar with OS and hardware specs enough to say which is the issue. I do wish that the Wii U OS was more like the 3DS OS. It's too bad they integrated the team after the system launched and did not have the 3DS team working on it. The 3DS GUI is faster, it has nicer transitions when you open an app or boot the system, it tiles new purchases from top to bottom instead of left to right and is much qquicker IMO and it was quick when the the system launched. I'll make an opinion after the second OS patch is released sometime this summer.

4) What portable games does the Vita have? It's been nearly 2 years since it launched. Do they have more Vita games down the pipe? Are they doing cross-play with the PS4 and Vita through the cloud? 1st party and 3rd party as it stands now for Vita games is very weak. I absolutely loved the PSP and used it until 2012 but I can't say I feel the same excited in wanting to get a Vita.

5) It's a matter of taste. There's lots of games on that list I'm looking forward to, 1st party and 3rd party but having said that, 3rd party is not strong on the system, no.

Nintendo should have learned from the botched 3DS launch but there's no excuse for them to repeat it again with the Wii U. They managed to turn the 3DS around and I feel they're going to do the same with the Wii U. Nintendo reconginzed that they made a mistake with the 3DS launch and said they wouldn't repeat it and they did exactly that is nonsense, but IMO it's too early to write the system off. A Nintendo in panic mode can accomplish a lot. Between Monster Hunter, Black Ops 2 and the games I have on my 3DS it's keeping me busy through the summer drought.

I understand your not happy with it and you feel like you wasted money. I would not be happy on hardware either if I'm not looking forward to the games on it or looking for them elsewhere. Lots of people from what I've been reading are going with it as a secondary machine. PC / Wii U, PS4 / Wii U. I can't speak for the X-Bone because these are comments I read during E3 and pre-180.

FeelinKorny
07-09-2013, 03:39 PM
If it wasn't for Tweety, Danbo, Frenchman and the other Wii U Blops players I would have sold the Wii U already. I don't use it for anything other then Black Ops 2. Once ps4 hits Ill transition to that mainly. But Ill keep the Wii U around for Ghost so I can still play with them. Unless everybody moves to ps4 and X1 then ill sell it. (who cares what the woman says Ill sell it if I want to! lol).

Don't get me wrong it a good system. But it lacks games. End of next year im willing to bet everybody will be singing a different tune and be in love with the games.

Major Stains
07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
@ Nate... Yep. What you say all rings true and is echoed throughout tinterwebland.
And Mutts counter hold an equal amount of weight, and promise for Nintendo.

I don't think I'll go so far to say I regret my purchase, as I always value any purchase to a usage ratio.
Eg. If I buy some 50 shoes and say they are 1 for each time I wear them, if I wear them over fifty times then I am more than happy with the value for money.
Same goes with tech, therefor I am happy with the value for money for the Wii U. Simple!

That being said. I still think Nintendo dropped the ball big time, and deserve the stick they are getting for it.
Although poor sales early on does not mean they are down and out by any stretch of the imagination.
Just, they will still be the red-headed stepchild of another generation of consoles, and that could have been avoided.
But that is all water under the bridge, and it is too early to write them off I feel.

Will I be trading it when the PS4 lands on my doorstep? I'm not sure I will.
The Wii MPs have been a large part of why I have enjoyed my time here for so long.
And I am wary that I may not experience that on future consoles.

The Wii U nearly delivered everything I was expecting.
Superb single player experiences in AC3, Lego City.
And of course it bought us long suffering Wiinies, HD gaming on the Wiimote. Which is a source of hatred for many, but one of the main reasons I made the purchase in the first place. Just such a shame that Black Ops 2 was such a let down in terms of support/ DLC.

The kids just love it, and I am really looking forward to Splinter Cell on the game pad.
So it's staying for the foreseeable future.
Maybe even long enough to see Mariokart in HD!

On a side note, I was interested to see this guy that lives near me write this article for Forbes...

16 age-specific reasons you need a Wii U (http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2013/07/09/16-top-wii-u-games/6/).

Some valid points, but still it doesn't change the fact that the future is positively cloudy for Nintendo.

Major Stains
07-09-2013, 03:57 PM
If it wasn't for Tweety, Danbo, and the Frenchman I would have sold the Wii U already.

They are the only reason I would sell mine!?! :behindsofa::bounce:

Retro
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Will I be trading it when the PS4 lands on my doorstep? I'm not sure I will.
The Wii MPs have been a large part of why I have enjoyed my time here for so long.
And I am wary that I may not experience that on future consoles.

I get that concern but a couple years ago a pretty good number of Wii players switched to 360 and with the exception of one, none of them ever went back.

Major Stains
07-09-2013, 04:05 PM
I get that concern but a couple years ago a pretty good number of Wii players switched to 360 and with the exception of one, none of them ever went back.

Don't get me wrong. It's nothing to do with the people.
It's just my fear that my approach to gameplay may not be 'hardcore' enough for some!

Retro
07-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Don't get me wrong. It's nothing to do with the people.
It's just my fear that my approach to gameplay may not be 'hardcore' enough for some!

Honestly I wish there was a way you could at least get in a party chat when we play BO2, your fear of being "hardcore enough" would go away really fast.

Mutt
07-09-2013, 05:18 PM
The kids just love it
This. I recommend Game & Wario. Another great title my kids love.

I am really looking forward to Splinter Cell on the game pad.

I can't wait for this. Splinter Cell + GamePad is going to be great. I wish that Metal Gear Solid would of been announced for the Wii U but that's wishful thinking. There was a huge gap in between MGS Twin Snakes for GCN and MGS Snakeeater 3D.

Call of Duty multiplayer on the Wii with Momma and Poppas I will never forget. It's the most fun I have had with online multiplayer and it was on the Nintendo Wii. Great times with a great bunch. I'll stick to the Wii U and the GamePad for Ghosts please and thanks.

LandShark
07-09-2013, 05:25 PM
MPers are the main reason I game.

Mutt
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
MPers are the main reason I game.

I'll drink to that.

http://media.tumblr.com/b38666fe18a651c629984706177def67/tumblr_inline_mfhr12pdJL1ro2d43.gif