PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, or Skyrim: which DLC is worth it?

Borlaxx
07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I have recently been playing the hell out of Bethesda's open-world epics. I have beat the main quests and hit the level caps in both the Fallout games, and I am getting close to beating the main quests in Skyrim (although got tons more optional quests and more levels to go).

In your opinion, which of these games has the best DLC, and increases the longevity of the game the most? I am leaning towards Broken Steel for Fallout 3.

Borlaxx
07-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Also, as a follow-up question, is Oblivion worth a purchase, or would I be ruined by playing Skyrim first?

Retro
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Oblivion is horrible, but if you get the 5 year anniversary edition it should be less than $10 and it comes with all DLC.

The best DLC for Fallout 3 is most definitely Broken Steel with Point Lookout close behind.

Gink
07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
You playing these on PS3 or PC? I just picked up Fallout: New Vegas from Steam w/ all DLC for $4.94, I know other Fallout games are worth playing, but this is the first one I've gotten around to, loving it so far.
I picked up the Skyrim DLC when it finally released for PS3 and was half price, but haven't played any of it so far. Oops.

Borlaxx
07-18-2013, 12:59 PM
PS3. My PC isn't very good. I've been hesitant to get the Skyrim DLC because it took so long to come out due to performance issues and I worried it wouldn't run well.

You should definitely get Fallout 3. I like the gameplay better in New Vegas, but like the setting and plot of 3 more.

Gink
07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I've always heard great things about 3, I'll definitely have to look for it. My cousin loaned me 1 & 2, but 1 was a little too "old skool" for me to get into it.
My only experience so far with the Skyrim DLC was that after installing it one of them initiated by having some cult dudes come after me, right in the middle of Riften. At least 1 or 2 named NPCs lost their lives, it was kind of annoying.

HardlyCapable13
07-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Fair warning, I started the Skyrim DLC where you travel to new island, can't remember the name. This was my second playthough and I was level 15 or something. I remember it being impossible. Higher level DLC for sure.

Gink
07-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Fair warning, I started the Skyrim DLC where you travel to new island, can't remember the name. This was my second playthough and I was level 15 or something. I remember it being impossible. Higher level DLC for sure.

Pretty sure that's the Dragonborn DLC. I've heard it's pretty tough.

FeelinKorny
07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
As a stand alone game Skyrim. DLC included Id say Fallout 3. As to your other question YES buy Oblivion. It might seem odd at first after playing Skyrim but you will find plenty to do and see and be entertained by.

HardlyCapable13
07-19-2013, 11:01 AM
I also totally disagree with Retro on this one (shocking that a clique would disagree, right?)

I had a really good time with Oblivion. That was when it first came out, so I don't know how it would be after Skyrim. But for a couple bucks you can't go wrong.

Retro
07-19-2013, 11:03 AM
I also totally disagree with Retro on this one (shocking that a clique would disagree, right?)

I had a really good time with Oblivion. That was when it first came out, so I don't know how it would be after Skyrim. But for a couple bucks you can't go wrong.

I hate Oblivion, bored the hell out of me. Probably why I skipped out on Skyrim.

Retro
07-19-2013, 02:43 PM
All this Fallout talk is too much, time to fire up another run through the Mojave!

HardlyCapable13
07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
All this Fallout talk is too much, time to fire up another run through the Mojave!

I've only done one play through of New Vegas. Like you, I'm getting the itch again. Which means yet ANOTHER game I will be buying a second time.

Retro
07-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I've only done one play through of New Vegas. Like you, I'm getting the itch again. Which means yet ANOTHER game I will be buying a second time.

The Ultimate Edition with all DLC is about $14 used or $19 new.

Gink
08-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I started playing New Vegas, was enjoying it, but got ripped away from it as soon as I started Far Cry 3... then Fallout 3 GOTY went on sale on Steam and I got way more sucked into it than I was with New Vegas, go figure. I need to get back to Far Cry, but always just want to get back to the Capital Wasteland.

HardlyCapable13
08-14-2013, 08:49 AM
I completed my second play through of Fallout 3 a couple months ago, and am currently 30+ hours into my second play through of New Vegas. Both amazing games! DLC aside, I seem to be enjoying NV more (although, maybe that's just because it's the one I'm currently playing). It's definitely more difficult.

Gink
08-14-2013, 05:28 PM
I completed my second play through of Fallout 3 a couple months ago, and am currently 30+ hours into my second play through of New Vegas. Both amazing games! DLC aside, I seem to be enjoying NV more (although, maybe that's just because it's the one I'm currently playing). It's definitely more difficult.

I guess it has the capability to be more difficult. I started out on it with decent armor, a caravan shotgun in pristine condition, and bunch of other random goodies. Took me a while to realize most of the stuff that was making my life easy was all from DLC, and the game wasn't necessarily meant to be played that way.

In 3 I left the vault with a jumpsuit, BB gun, and a 10mm pistol and hardly any ammo. Oh, and a baseball bat. So it was challenging for a bit. After 20 hours I'm still afraid of super mutants, or running into a large group of bandits, even though none of those things ever manages to actually kill me.

I guess for whatever reason I found the early storyline of 3 more interesting than NV. And I like that you start in a vault in 3. Vaults rule.

HardlyCapable13
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
And I like that you start in a vault in 3. Vaults rule.

Good point. It was a great intro/tutorial.

Borlaxx
08-14-2013, 06:13 PM
I found New Vegas as a whole more difficult (didn't have any dlc goodies), but once I got a ripper from killing a legate from Ceasers Legion it got easier, because that thing just rips right through armor. However, nothing IMO tops the difficulty of that first super mutant behemoth in 3 right outside of Galaxy News Radio, especially if you go there are soon as you can without leveling and gearing up first. My Cousin actually had to restart her game because she went there too early and didn't have an earlier save. Bummer.

If they make the next Fallout with the depth and longevity of Skyrim, I will likely end up divorced.

Retro
08-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I actually found F:NV much easier than F:3 for the most part. Then I played NV on hardcore mode and, DAMN!

My first play through in F:NV though I made the horrible mistake of going off exploring before leveling up anything outside of the opening quests in Goodspring. I took a walk up to Quarry Junction, looked cool. BIG mistake.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101211010725/fallout/images/thumb/3/30/DeatclawAlphaFNV.png/91px-DeatclawAlphaFNV.png

HardlyCapable13
08-14-2013, 07:14 PM
My first play through in F:NV though I made the horrible mistake of going off exploring before leveling up anything outside of the opening quests in Goodspring. I took a walk up to Quarry Junction, looked cool. BIG mistake.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101211010725/fallout/images/thumb/3/30/DeatclawAlphaFNV.png/91px-DeatclawAlphaFNV.png

That's what I mean. For me, 3 never gave me trouble like that.

Retro
08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
If they make the next Fallout with the depth and longevity of Skyrim, I will likely end up divorced.

Start your lawyer search then, Fallout 4 looks to be in development and we might just get a hint in just over week from Gamescon.
(http://www.sidhtech.com/news/fallout-4-bethesda-confirmed-release-date/10017403/)

Retro
08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
That's what I mean. For me, 3 never gave me trouble like that.

If you start 3 and just wander off exploring (especially to the North) before leveling up you will run in to similar trouble.

HardlyCapable13
08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
start your lawyer search then, fallout 4 looks to be in development and we might just get a hint in just over week from gamescon.
(http://www.sidhtech.com/news/fallout-4-bethesda-confirmed-release-date/10017403/)

holy shit you just made my naked mole rat stand at attention!!!