PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey

black powder
07-21-2013, 08:49 PM
About to open this beauty, it's called Larceny, it's a Kentucky straight bourbon.......92 proof very special small batch. I hope it isn't the Crown Royal special Reserve and Crown Black and Cask options, I prefer straight Crown and the extra money spent on the others could've bought several 1.75 litre bottles. I do buy cases at a time when I get out of town. I let you know what I think, it was pay for doing some electrical at my brother in laws. Now another trip needed to finish the job I went down for, but I might have some good whiskey out of the deal. I did bring a case of my usual home just in case.

black powder
07-21-2013, 08:53 PM
I used to get bottles of Crown at Christmas from family and friends, now I've been getting this.......Templeton Rye small batch blend, it's from templeton Iowa, it was Al Capones favorite during prohibition, it's real good, limited to quantities you can buy, gladly have a lot of family and the brother in laws family is from templeton, Iowa. So I get my share for free as I won't spend the money on it myself as I drink it too much. I enjoy a bit of it, but then it's gone. I'm trying to get the picture of the larceny Kentucky whiskey to show up. It might take a bit to figure out how to make it work. I'll post one of the templeton rye if I can figure the Larceny one out?

black powder
07-21-2013, 08:57 PM
5013 this is the Larceny obviously

black powder
07-21-2013, 09:21 PM
can't get the one of the templeton rye up, it says it's too big, even though both were taken from the phone on my chair, It's just that good, maybe it needs to stay a secret LOL Another time

Ullrsdog
07-22-2013, 08:52 AM
About to open this beauty, it's called Larceny, it's a Kentucky straight bourbon.......92 proof very special small batch. I hope it isn't the Crown Royal special Reserve and Crown Black and Cask options, I prefer straight Crown and the extra money spent on the others could've bought several 1.75 litre bottles. I do buy cases at a time when I get out of town. I let you know what I think, it was pay for doing some electrical at my brother in laws. Now another trip needed to finish the job I went down for, but I might have some good whiskey out of the deal. I did bring a case of my usual home just in case.

OK not to go all crazy on you but Bourbon and whiskey are distinctly different and Crown well that is certainly Whiskey...in fact it's a blended canadian whiskey so it doesn't even come close to bourbon.

Bourbon must have a mash bill that is at least 51% corn, and must be aged in a new charred american oak barrel. There are some Bourbons out there that use little to no rye, the most well known being Makers Mark...then there are some that are very heavy on the rye like a local small batch bourbon from the Brekenridge Disttillery that uses 38% rye...which is nearly the highest available. There's one out there that is 38.5% but it slips my mind. I still prefer gin in general but have really been hitting the bourbon lately do to my wife buying me a 1 liter oak barrel to age my own in....I buy a bottle of un-aged corn whiskey (aka moonshine) and age it in the barrel. Granted I can't call it bourbon anymore because the barrel is no longer new...but it's still fun and tasty.

I'll have to look for Larceny on the net and see what I can find...I always like trying new stuff...my fall backs don't include Rye's I just don't care for them as much, I like the sweeter tones in bourbon and stick to a few that I enjoy, but I'll try anything once just to see what it has to offer.

black powder
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I only spend my money on the Canadian stuff, I won't waste my money on anything else, I've never tried making my own, had some really good shine in Iowa 16 years ago, it came from a buddy who moved to missourri and came back home while it was Uffda Dayz, a little fun in a small town back there, her used to own the bar in town before he moved. It sounds like fun, just got a specific taste for the Canadian blends.......I can't compare any thing else I drink to them as it's un-fair. The Larceny is alright, isn't really bad, I'm guessing all the Canadian whiskey going down ruined my palet LOL

HardlyCapable13
07-22-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm a scotch drinker. Usually stick to The Glenlevit 12 year. My brother bought this last weekend and its amazing. But at $90 a bottle it's not in my budget.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/9b2458c5be0bd6e4e8cfdb67ab76b800_zps9774e5d2.jpg

Ullrsdog
07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
I only spend my money on the Canadian stuff, I won't waste my money on anything else, I've never tried making my own, had some really good shine in Iowa 16 years ago, it came from a buddy who moved to missourri and came back home while it was Uffda Dayz, a little fun in a small town back there, her used to own the bar in town before he moved. It sounds like fun, just got a specific taste for the Canadian blends.......I can't compare any thing else I drink to them as it's un-fair. The Larceny is alright, isn't really bad, I'm guessing all the Canadian whiskey going down ruined my palet LOL

give Pendelton (or Pedelton) a try if you haven't, I've heard good things...but I personally have never tried it. I stay away from the Canadian stuff becuse the government allows distillers to add ingredients that aren't always natural or pure...yes I'm a tree hugging hippie I know...I would say give some of the Rye's from the US a taste (I enjoy Bulliet Bourbon and for my Rye drinking friends they like the Bulliet Rye...just to sharp for my taste), in general they should be more along the lines of Canadian booze.

Like I said earlier I'll stick to my Gin and Bourbon...leave the Whiskey to the other guys...even the US stuff isn't really for me. As I once read on a Bourbon propaganda (opps I mean Enthusiast's) website, Bourbon is the evolution of whiskey...or more simply the process has perfected what we once knew as just whiskey. We all have our tastes though and that's why sometimes I go to the liqour store and just walk around a bit instead of heading straight to the left and into the corner where the Rye and Bourbon is, that's when I found some of my favorite beer and booze just going "well that's a cool looking bottle and not to spendy I'll try that tonight".

black powder
07-23-2013, 11:24 PM
I do like Pendleton, it's my second favorite to Crown, I was drinking crown and buying peldleton for the others that were in group last weekend at the bar, it is good stuff. That Templeton Rye has Rye in it, If it was Al Capones favorite choice during prohabiton it's still good, I do like it. Have to wait till Christmas probably for the next case, I got another case sole too a buddy, we'll see if he brings the money, it not, I'll put it down LOL If I could afford to drink it all year round I definitely would, but I'll settle for my crown, I've had bad times with scotch and bourbon, don't get me started on tequila but I'm starting to like patrone, or what ever it's called, typical tequila, can't rememver and if you can you wish you could forget. Only think I've had slow gin straight, not really my thing so I can't judge, don't knpw a think aboiut scotch, just remember drinking scoresbey scotch in my teens and drank the whole 1.75 liter I swear I drank myself sober, which I know is impossible. Maybe just too much blood in my alcohol that did it LOL I'll probably finish off the Larceny this weekend after work and I'll have more of an idea of what I really think of it. That Tempelton Rye is my favorite, as long as I'm not paying for it LOL Spent a lot of years in Iowa, maybe partial to it, never been to Canada though, but sure like the blends they send down. R&R is turning into a real financially friendly blend that I'm really acquiring a taste too, for you that don't like whiskey you probably will NOT like it, but when you drink it as much as I do, a few dollars saved adds to a few bottles down the week.....had some bad times with the Canadian stuff too, I do OK till I start to have fun LOL

Ullrsdog
07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I do like Pendleton, it's my second favorite to Crown, I was drinking crown and buying peldleton for the others that were in group last weekend at the bar, it is good stuff. That Templeton Rye has Rye in it, If it was Al Capones favorite choice during prohabiton it's still good, I do like it. Have to wait till Christmas probably for the next case, I got another case sole too a buddy, we'll see if he brings the money, it not, I'll put it down LOL If I could afford to drink it all year round I definitely would, but I'll settle for my crown, I've had bad times with scotch and bourbon, don't get me started on tequila but I'm starting to like patrone, or what ever it's called, typical tequila, can't rememver and if you can you wish you could forget. Only think I've had slow gin straight, not really my thing so I can't judge, don't knpw a think aboiut scotch, just remember drinking scoresbey scotch in my teens and drank the whole 1.75 liter I swear I drank myself sober, which I know is impossible. Maybe just too much blood in my alcohol that did it LOL I'll probably finish off the Larceny this weekend after work and I'll have more of an idea of what I really think of it. That Tempelton Rye is my favorite, as long as I'm not paying for it LOL Spent a lot of years in Iowa, maybe partial to it, never been to Canada though, but sure like the blends they send down. R&R is turning into a real financially friendly blend that I'm really acquiring a taste too, for you that don't like whiskey you probably will NOT like it, but when you drink it as much as I do, a few dollars saved adds to a few bottles down the week.....had some bad times with the Canadian stuff too, I do OK till I start to have fun LOL

HAahhahahAAHHAAA who hasn't had a bad day from something we've listed! Sloe Gin bleck!! If you ever feel like trying something again get a little shot bottle at the store of Bombay Saphire or Tanguray 10...Saphire is my go to in 90% of the bars in North America if they don't have it they surely have Tanguray 10. My absolute favorite though is Hendricks, can't find that in shots behind the counter though and I certainly wouldn't tell you to buy a $40 bottle of something you may use as a solvent...well you could send it my way...I generally mix it with either a little club soda (not tonic I don't care for tonic) or Ginger ale and either way I squeeze a lime wedge in and call it good.
I may give this Templeton rye a try if I find it at my store....the shelf layout is Bourbon on the left then Whiskey Then Tequilla then Gin...so I don't have any excuses if I head to my little corner of happiness to not look for it at the least, it's literally going to be right in front of me as I look at my Bourbon. What's the worst that could happen...if I don't like it neat then I through in some ginger ale and life is good.
Patron is a good ta-kill-ya I also like Tres Generations and Cazadores...but I really only drink the stuff in Margs or as a shot for somebody's B-day, wedding, or something like that.

Gink
07-09-2015, 09:10 PM
We hit a liquor store on the California border on our way home Monday, was a fun experience, big place in pretty much the middle of nowhere with a huge variety at prices that seemed crazy when compared to Oregon. We were greeted at the door, and then once we had a few bottles in hand, someone came by to take them up front and "start an order" for us.

I wish I'd done a bit of research before stopping there. I'm pretty new to whiskey, aside from having tried, and not particularly liked most of the standards in my youth. Jack, meh, Crown, meh.
I did stock up on a couple bottles of Bulleit Rye, at $20 compared to $32 I pay here. Good for Old Fashioneds. I grabbed a bottle of Tincup for $20 as well, figured it was worth trying at that price. I've been enjoying it neat, and wished I'd have gotten more, since it's probably closer to $35-$40 here.

Scotches didn't seem to have quite as much of a markdown, but were still cheaper, and I should have grabbed something, but wasn't sure what to get and didn't feel like doing a complete gamble at $40-$60. Should have though, as the few 10 years they carry here are $45 or more unless on sale. I've got some Glenmorangie Original that was on sale recently, but would have liked to pick up an Islay to see how I like the smokey peaty scotch vs the sweeter Highland scotch.

The wife made out like a bandit with a giant bottle of Bombay Saph for about the same price a 750 costs here, and a big ol' jug of Sailor Jerry for $20, again just barely more than we normally pay for a $750.
State controlled liquor stores kind of suck, too bad it's a 4 hour drive to Cali.

Major Stains
07-10-2015, 03:09 AM
That sounds like a blast, sounds like you picked up a few bargains there.

You just have to make them last till winter so they can keep you warm on those cold nights.

Forgive me if I've shared this already, but this is a pic from my local boozer.

The Nobody Inn is a lovely old 17th Century Inn that boasts around 240 whiskys (mainly malts), and always has several different local ales on each week.

Strongly recommended if you ever find yourself in this part of the world.

http://www.nobodyinn.co.uk/index.html

http://i59.tinypic.com/24l0v9w.jpg

Gink
07-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Looks like a lovely place to do a bit of research! Going to have to add that to the list of places to visit someday.

Gink
08-21-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm a scotch drinker. Usually stick to The Glenlevit 12 year. My brother bought this last weekend and its amazing. But at $90 a bottle it's not in my budget.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/9b2458c5be0bd6e4e8cfdb67ab76b800_zps9774e5d2.jpg

My Dad just brought me a bottle of this back from Cali as an early Bday present. I'd actually requested a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask after recently having my first Islay dram of some heavenly Laphroaig 12 year, but I imagine this Lagavulin 16 will be just as good, most likely quite a bit better, as hard as that is for me to imagine at this point. I will definitely treasure it. It runs around $90 here as well, and even the $70 it goes for in Cali is well beyond what I'm comfortable spending on a bottle of booze. Though the more I taste, the more I'm pretty sure these are really bottles of divine joy and contentment.

My new ambition in life is to work my way up to where I can afford better whiskey on a more regular basis.

SouthtownSlayer
08-21-2015, 07:41 PM

Bought a bottle of this during a port visit to Scotland and cost me about $30 buck, was going to be my drink for special occasions and ended up finishing it up one weekend!
Decided to hit my local and see if they had it and saw it was $90 bucks!! Looks like I need to save some money to get another bottle!

http://www.spirituosensuperbillig.com/shop/images/product_images/original_images/caol_ila_12_jahre.jpg

Gink
08-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Bought a bottle of this during a port visit to Scotland and cost me about $30 buck, was going to be my drink for special occasions and ended up finishing it up one weekend!
Decided to hit my local and see if they had it and saw it was $90 bucks!! Looks like I need to save some money to get another bottle!

http://www.spirituosensuperbillig.com/shop/images/product_images/original_images/caol_ila_12_jahre.jpg
I haven't even been able to find Caol Ila around here so far. I was looking for it because I'd heard it was a good Islay that wasn't as popular as Laphroaig and Lagavulin so it costs less. Guess not if it runs $90 a bottle too!

Gink
09-06-2015, 03:55 PM
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q678/jgink/Whiskey/6d84f78e-6767-45c2-be1b-3ea342fb4b7b_zpsvoka1dyg.jpg

My wife, never one to be outdone. I expected she'd get me some whiskey, but figured she'd restock my supply of Tin Cup, or maybe get me some Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Was pretty surprised to see the 18!
I was going to open the Lagavulin 16 tonight, but now have a choice to make. Whichever I open, it'll be nice to have a set of crystal Glencairn glasses to enjoy it in.

I think I'm stocked on expensive "special occasion" scotch for a good while, now I really just need some mid-range that I won't feel guilty sipping on any old weekend.
I spotted a sale notice for Aberlour 12 for $40. About as cheap as 10-12 single malts get around here. Anyone tried it before?

Major Stains
09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Here is a cheeky little bottle of Glenlivet from our local boozer.
Distilled in 1940 and bottled in '82, that price tag of 95.90 is just for a wee dram and not the whole bottle. Which sadly puts it well out of my taste/ budget.
One can but dream...

http://i57.tinypic.com/b9g8dj.jpg

Ullrsdog
09-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Ahhhhh I just let go of a bottle...$350 for a bottle of 12year old Pappy Van Winkle, in the bars that have the 12YO here it generally sells for about $40-$50 a pour the 23YO is $100 a pour. I couldn't turn down the 4.5:1 Return on Investment. Plus there are other hard to find bottles that I'd rather try seeing as I have had several pours of Pappy already. It is a damn fine bourbon but I'll risk trying to find another one or like I said find something else that is hard to find...anyone selling a bottle of EH Taylor cured oak?

Gink
11-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Here's something to help get you in the holiday spirit(s)!
https://cdn3.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/p-2813/drinks-by-the-dram/the-whisky-advent-calendar.jpg?ss=2.0
Or at least dull the pain a bit!

Master of Malt Advent Calendars (https://www.masterofmalt.com/advent-calendars/)

They've got 3 different whiskey advents. Regular, Premium, and Old & Rare. As well as a Bourbon calendar. Oh, and I guess they have ones for a bunch of other spirits as well, but this is the whiskey thread!

So, for anywhere from $200-$1200 you get 24 3cl (~1oz) drams of various whiskeys in a random order to sample each night as you count down to Christmas, or any other holiday you feel like counting down 24 days towards.

CELockwood
11-06-2015, 06:32 PM
I used to drink this all the time before it got insane. You could buy it off the shelf in Lexington for $70/bottle. Haven't had one in years. You've made me sad.

Ahhhhh I just let go of a bottle...$350 for a bottle of 12year old Pappy Van Winkle, in the bars that have the 12YO here it generally sells for about $40-$50 a pour the 23YO is $100 a pour. I couldn't turn down the 4.5:1 Return on Investment. Plus there are other hard to find bottles that I'd rather try seeing as I have had several pours of Pappy already. It is a damn fine bourbon but I'll risk trying to find another one or like I said find something else that is hard to find...anyone selling a bottle of EH Taylor cured oak?

Ullrsdog
11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
I used to drink this all the time before it got insane. You could buy it off the shelf in Lexington for $70/bottle. Haven't had one in years. You've made me sad.

CE- I have my name in the hat at a few places locally, it's worked for the last 2 years for a buddy and last year for me. If I am lucky again this year and get a bottle I'll send a sample your way...Fingers crossed for the 15 YO!!!

CELockwood
11-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Good luck!