View Full Version : WII U removed from stores

07-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Asda removes Nintendo's Wii U from stores.

Asda says it will no longer sell Nintendo's Wii U games console in its stores.

Customers wanting to buy the machine from the supermarket can still order it online and have it delivered to their homes or to a local store for pick-up.

Asda said rival consoles, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3, would still be sold in-store.

ASDA (owned by Walmart) is the UK's second biggest supermarket chain.

07-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Something like this happened to the PSVita as well. Its what happens when you have limited spaced and cant sit on products for so long. Especially with the PS4 and X1 coming they are going to need to make space. Gamestop does the same thing. HOWEVER, it does look bad for the Wii U when any store decides to pull it from their shelves. Next year the Wii U will be on the shelves again and high on everybodys wanted list. Once them games come out Wii U will sell just fine.

I mean even the Wii is outselling the Wii U during periods. Why? Because Nintendo approached this next gen all wrong. Way to soon.

07-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Agreed, once there are new games and we hit the Christmas period things will pick up again for the U.

07-31-2013, 11:05 AM
I want to remain positive about the Wii U because I own one (at least for now) and have been a Nintendo fan since I was a kid, but I really don't know if things will ever turn around for it.

Yes, the 3DS was in a bad place at first and is now succeeding, but unlike the 3DS which mainly had to compete against a lackluster Vita (and to a lesser extent smart phones and tablets), the Wii U has to compete with the PS3, 360, and soon the PS4 and XB1. I can tell you first hand that it is much better to own a PS3 right now than a Wii U, and if the Wii U can't even compete with last gen, I don't see it doing well against next gen (and whatever people want to say, the Wii U is last gen with a new controller that has yet to be used to its potential except for games like ZombiU which didn't even sell well).

Sure, Nintendo could (read: has to) reduce the price of the Wii U, but without games, nobody would care. I don't see a lot of people who don't currently own a Wii U going out and buying one just because of a price drop, especially since you could get a PS3 or 360 for less and have literally hundreds of well-received games to play. Even my son is more interested in kid friendly games using the Kinect at this point, so Nintendo is even losing some of the market share for kids games.

In addition, many of the Wii U games that people are waiting for aren't even going to be out before Christmas this year, and therefore are not going to be reasons to pick up a Wii U this holiday season. If there was a NEW Zelda (not an HD remake), a new Smash Bros, a new Metroid, etc. coming out before Christmas I think it would boost sales......but there isn't. I don't see a lot of people going out and buying a Wii U just to play the new Super Mario 3D World, which honestly looks far less impressive than Galaxy did when the original Wii came out. And as much of a fan of Mario Kart I have been, even the new one in that series fails to excite me like I thought it would, especially without the addition of a track editor which is a key feature that keeps other kart racers alive.

Hell, even the "extras" of the Wii U like WiiTV are going to be done better on the next gen systems, and if the PSVita/PS4 feature works well, Nintendo will not have a single advantage.

My prediction is that the PS4 and XB1 are going to crush the Wii U this holiday season in terms of sales (and the PS3 and 360 will as well), and that by the time new games are out on the Wii U that people actually want to play by next holiday season, the user install base on the PS4 and XB1 will be MUCH higher than on the Wii U, and there will almost certainly be more AAA games on those systems by next holiday season, which means the Wii U will lose again.

I don't get any joy from saying it (hell, I bought a Wii U), but I don't see the Wii U ever truly recovering from this. Nintendo should of never released a system without games to move it off shelves, they shouldn't of released a system that barely tops last gen in terms of power right before the next gen comes out, they should of never counted on the casual gamer when most of them have moved on to smart phones and tablets or see no reason to upgrade from the original Wii, and they should of never said they are trying to win back the core gaming crowd and then done practically nothing to back that up.

It seems pretty obvious they knew they wouldn't be able to compete with next gen, and as a result released an inferior system with very few worthwhile games (and practically NONE of their system sellers) early just to try to cash in before the other systems came out, and now it has backfired and they may never recover, or be forced to release a more powerful new system earlier than expected, which will just piss people off people like me who bought the Wii U expecting more.

07-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Ive said it before and I will say it again...Nintendo lost me post N64.

07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Ive said it before and I will say it again...Nintendo lost me post N64.

I never had a Gamecube so can't speak to that, but the original Wii was innovative enough with enough games to play to make it worth a purchase and I don't regret owning it. So far, I can't say the same for the Wii U.

07-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again. The Wii U will sell between 20 & 30 million units in it's life span (I'm actually a little concerned that won't even hit 20M this go around). That's pretty much par for the course for Nintendo consoles. The Wii sales were the aberration, a result of releasing the right product at the right time with the best damn marketing strategy ever.

Every Nintendo home console has sold less worldwide than the previous one with the exception of the Wii.
NES - 61.91M
SNES - 49.10M
N64 - 32.93M
NGC - 21.74M
Wii - 100.04M (as of June 2013)
Wii U - 3.61M (as of June 2013)

Nintendo is not in trouble, but the Wii U is. The belief that the Wii U will start flying off the shelf next year is delusional at best. 360 & PS3 sales for hardware and games have been in decline for a year as this generation winds down. People are instead putting cash aside to spend on new hardware and games for the next gen. Next year with the Wii U will be competing with new hardware that already has more games with confirmed release dates than the Wii U has in total games. Sony & MS already showed through both 1st, 2nd & 3rd party publishers/developers that they have a line up of games ready for release over the first year of their systems launch. That is what people want when spending money on new hardware, they don't want a "promise" that games will come out at some point. Over 8 months after launch and Nintendo still can not attach release dates to most titles.

Nintendo dropped the ball. They had a one year head start knowing that the new Xbox & Playstation would be coming out this year. They announced the Wii U over 2 years ago, their line up of launch titles both from release right up to this years holiday season should have been set. There should have been zero "retreads" in the first year of release. Remakes and HD updates are what should be done a few years in after the console has already been established. They should not be major selling points of newly launched system. The fact that Mass Effect 3 was a big deal, is not cool. Great game, but in the previous 3 to 4 years with Nintendo creating a new console, they should have been making a new Zelda for launch. They hinted at it during E3 2 years ago. A new Zelda game at launch would have moved systems. Die hard Nintendo fans and those who loved them in the past but moved to other systems, would have bought the system at launch to get Zelda (I know I would have).

The Wii U will hit or at least get close to Gamecube numbers in sales, but it will not be in competition with the PS4 & Xbox One.

To say that Nintendo's Wii U had a troubling fiscal first quarter might be an understatement.
The game company on Wednesday announced that during that period during April, May, and June , it sold only 160,000 Wii U (http://reviews.cnet.com/nintendo-wii-u/) units worldwide, bringing its grand total since its launch last year to just 3.6 million units sold. During the three-month period, Nintendo sold just a little over 1 million software units globally.
Each month, research firm NPD releases market data on the U.S. gaming market, and although it doesn't announce console unit sales figures, it's been clear that the Wii (http://www.cnet.com/nintendo-wii.html) U isn't selling well. That the console is having such trouble elsewhere around the world, as well, speaks to just how unpopular the Wii U is.

CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57596283-235/nintendo-sold-160k-wii-u-units-worldwide-last-quarter/)

07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
they should have been making a new Zelda for launch

As a gamer, I find it insulting that they didn't have a new Zelda game at launch.

07-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I find it absurd that they haven't even announced a new Metroid game, or a new Star Fox game. Those two done right (with online competative MP) plus a new Zelda would of caused the system to fly off the shelves, including core gamers. Instead, we got a side scrolling Mario..........

07-31-2013, 05:19 PM
The game company on Wednesday announced that during that period during April, May, and June , it sold only 160,000 Wii U units worldwide, bringing its grand total since its launch last year to just 3.6 million units sold. During the three-month period, Nintendo sold just a little over 1 million software units globally.

Even more shameful than that number, they sold only 10,000 consoles in all of Europe over those 3 months. They basically sold 3 million systems globally during November & December and then a mere 600,000 from January through the end of June.

I don't care what 3rd party publishers/Developers are saying right now. Unless the Wii U see's a massive sales jump in the next 5 months (and I mean more than doubling what they have already sold to date), they will stop supporting the Wii U completely.

These company's use software tie-ins as a barometer of a systems health.

Titles sold per console sold. (Globally)

XBOX - 11.01
PS2 - 10.54
XBOX 360 - 10.24
GameCube - 9.60
Playstation - 9.23
PS3 - 9.14
Wii - 8.90

then dropping a little further down the list,

Wii U - 2.48

That number is pretty much the reason UbiSoft delayed Rayman and decided to go multi-platform for it. The design, development, marketing/advertising and distribution of the game to such a limited consumer pool would have been a significant loss to them. They saw it with Zombie U and were not going to chance it again.

Nintendo needs their first party big guns to make an impact and then give the 3rd party's a reason and belief that it's worth their time and money to develop for the system.