View Full Version : Bethesda Not Making Games For Wii U Due To Weak Hardware

08-07-2013, 08:58 AM

This is yet another big blow to Nintendo, and I fear part of what we should come to expect in the future.

If I can't play games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls on the U, it will never be my main system. Those games are just too damn good to pass up -- way more than Nintendo's exclusives.

If you have never played Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, or Skyrim, you don't know what your missing, and I would suggest buying a used PS3 or 360 just to play them, as just one of them IMO has more value and entertainment than the entire Wii U library at this point.

08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't see it as a blow to Nintendo. When was the last time they released a game on a Nintendo system? And what you said "if I cant play games like fallout and elder scrolls on the U, It will never be my main system".. So many people take Nintendo's approach to this gen the wrong way. (maybe myself included). Nintendo wanted a system that gives you a unique experience and the great Nintendo exclusives not found anywhere else. They never stated they wanted a all in one system. I don't think they are trying for a "main" system. They don't want to compete with Sony and MS. They want to do what they want to do.

But alas I agree it does suck to have yet another 3rd party dev dump the wii u.

08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Pretty sure Nintendo said they were trying to win back the core gamer this gen, and you don't get much more core that Bethesdas open world epics.

And yes, it is a blow to Nintendo. There are many gamers, myself included, who if they could only afford one new system would pass on the U for no other reason than they couldn't play these amazing games.

At the end of the day it is another example of Wii U missing out on key AAA releases that the core gamer wants, and unlike last gen, the casual gamer isn't going to be there to pick up the slack.

08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
If they are not trying to be your "main" system, they have already failed.

I would say ouch to Bethesda news, as they are one of my favorites, making such amazing games.

I've said it before, I see Nintendo going the way of SEGA.

08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Nintendo's known more for family-friendly titles like Wii Sports than it is for its hardcore demographic, but Scott Moffit, Nintendo marketing man, says that may be about to change. Nintendo is aiming their new console at everyone, and it wants the Wii U to become the console of choice for hardcore gamers.

With the Wii, we wanted to bring in as many new users as possible and have them experience the games, but as a consequence, I think a lot of the core gamers felt that it wasn’t for them, and they started moving away. With the new console and the new controller, we definitely want to bring core gamers back

There are countless quotes from interviews and press conferences from Nintendo about how this time it will be different, this time the Wii U will be the only console you need. I need to find the interview Reggie did where he basically said gamers are greedy because for years they kept saying "where is the new Pikmin game" and "you need to launch with a new Mario games" and after both were announced the reaction was "ok, but what else". He was mad about that. Thinking that releasing a Mario game that was really just a rehash and announcing Pikmin 3 at the time without a release date was all Nintendo had to do???? No wonder they can't do anything right. Gamers want to know that when they throw down their $300 to $400 + on a new console that there will be a library of games for them to choose from right from the start. They want to know they will have the ability to play all the top games on the market. With the Wii U, they are not even getting a sniff.

I know Stains has made the argument that while he wishes there were games, he does not regret his purchase because he feels he got value from the game time he has had on the system. I get that and would normally agree. But for when I look at the fact that I could have simply put that money aside for another year and saved up even more, then bought one of the new systems that will in fact have a large number of games at release along with games throughout the first 12 months already given their release dates, I think I'd get better value with that.