PDA

View Full Version : Wii U selling at a loss

Retro
08-09-2013, 05:22 PM
While selling hardware at a loss is commonplace for most all companies that have tried their hand in the console space, Nintendo has largely stood as the exception to this rule. With the Wii U's first birthday coming up, Nintendo has confirmed to Gamesindustry International that each Wii U is still being sold at loss. This news all but makes a price drop impossible for the foreseeable future, but is even more unsettling to hear just a week after learning only 160,000 units were moved worldwide (http://www.destructoid.com/the-wii-u-is-doing-really-bad-3ds-is-doing-great-259083.phtml) in three months.

Destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/wii-u-still-being-sold-at-a-loss-price-cut-unlikely-259682.phtml)

Major Stains
09-28-2013, 02:52 AM
Erm! Shouldn't this have been done 12 months ago? (Enter forehead slap smiley here)

Nintendo UK has admitted to MCV that most people simply do not realise that Wii U is a brand new console. Now the company is launching ambitious plans to increase awareness and hardware sales, including a partnership with Tesco.

Nintendo has booked in-store space at Tesco, will send out a five-page leaflet to 300,000 Tesco customers that bought a Wii, and will even be giving away money-off vouchers for games. The aim is to educate parents and kids about what the Wii U system really is, especially those who own a Wii.

There will also be television ads for major franchises, including Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda. These will run “continuously from half-term to Christmas.” Alongside these will be national press advertorials, online activity, and a promotional tour aiming to reach 115,500 shoppers.

“We haven’t had the sales we wanted on Wii U hardware. We haven’t had the software for most of this year. But we have some quite ambitious numbers, particularly with some of our biggest franchises coming,” said UK marketing director Shelly Pearce.

“Our monthly tracking shows that Wii remains the No.1 console for brand awareness. This offers us a massive opportunity to convert Wii owners to Wii U.

“Interest is starting to grow but we know we have a lot of work to do.”

She added: “There was a big misconception at launch about what Wii U is. And one of the big messages is that this is a new console and a new controller. There are many people out there that don’t know what this is.”

It marks quite a step-up in activity, as marketing for Wii U in the UK has been practically non-existent at times. Changing that is crucial as PlayStation 4 and Xbox One hit the market before Christmas, and Nintendo will sensibly be aiming the new campaign at parents and kids, rather than core gamers.

Only time will tell whether it’s enough to turn Wii U’s fortunes around.

(http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/27/nintendo-uk-admits-people-dont-realise-wii-u-is-new-console-plans-ambitious-fight-back/)

(Click main quote for full story)

Retro
09-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Erm! Shouldn't this have been done 12 months ago? (Enter forehead slap smiley here)

(Click main quote for full story)

Kind of want to just say to them, "I told you so!!!!!" and perhaps at this point it's too little too late. I mean FIFA 14 just came out on 360, PS3, PC, Wii & PS2!!!!!!!! But it will not be on the Wii U.

http://ourtowntustin.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/fat_lady_sings.jpg

Major Stains
09-28-2013, 02:27 PM
I mean FIFA 14 just came out on 360, PS3, PC, Wii & PS2!!!!!!!! But it will not be on the Wii U.

You're not joking are you? I didn't know this! The Wii and the PS2!!!
I was only kidding on the chat the other day that the PS1 will get BF4 before the Wii U ever will, but now anything seems possible.

I want to march up to Reggie and scream "WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION PRIVATE PILE?" in his face... :argue:

Retro
09-28-2013, 03:06 PM
The FIFA 14 for the Wii & PS2 are essentially bare bones ports of FIFA 12/13 but still. The PS2 was discontinued a year ago (that itself is amazing) and has been out for nearly 14 years! Old Reggie & Iwata need a bitch slap from a wrecking ball.