PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo *sigh*

HardlyCapable13
08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Let me start this out by saying this is not an attack from me flung towards Nintendo. Just sharing an article. (I feel I have to start this way even though "he who I will not mention" is gone).

Read the article, I've pointed out what made me LOL in bold:

During an interview with IGN, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime defended Wii U's value proposition for consumers this Fall.

As we reported earlier, Nintendo will cut the price of Wii U by $50 in the US starting September 20. So we asked Reggie what are the incentives for consumers to choose Nintendo, especially since their home console is $100 cheaper than its closest competitor.

“It’s all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I’m allowed to say ‘Meh,’” Fils-Aime said. “I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup. We’ve got Zelda. We’ve got Mario. We’ve got Donkey Kong. In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we’re putting out there for the consumer.”

But Nintendo’s competition is also adding new technologies to the home console experience. They are introducing services like cloud gaming, cross-platfrom play between handheld and home systems, the ability to buy a single game that can be shared on a home and handheld platforms. How does Nintendo plan to compete with those services?

In response, Fils-Aime continued to hammer the point that, in the end, all the consumer cares about is great games and great experiences. “We’ve got cloud technology that we’re delivering with Wii U. Nintendo TVii is all cloud-based technology. But the difference is, we don’t talk about the tech. We talk about the experience. We make sure that the consumer has fun with the game experiences that we provide, “ Fils-Aime told IGN. “And so I think as you compare and contrast Nintendo with other players in the space, for us it’s about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-president-on-ps4-xbox-one-launch-lineups-meh

Don't even get me started on the games.

I see his point about the tech (kind of), but there is a reason no one plays games on an Apple IIGS anymore...

Borlaxx
08-29-2013, 05:18 PM
I agree, it is about the games, which is why my U collects dust while my last gen PS3 kicks its ass. What a clueless statement.

HardlyCapable13
08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
I agree, it is about the games, which is why my U collects dust while my last gen PS3 kicks its ass. What a clueless statement.

Yup, that's my point. I understand he's defending his company and it's lack of games, but why couldn't he admit that both the PS4 and xBone have an amazing launch library?

FeelinKorny
08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Let me start this out by saying this is not an attack from me flung towards Nintendo. Just sharing an article. (I feel I have to start this way even though "he who I will not mention" is gone).

Read the article, I've pointed out what made me LOL in bold:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-president-on-ps4-xbox-one-launch-lineups-meh

Don't even get me started on the games.

I see his point about the tech (kind of), but there is a reason no one plays games on an Apple IIGS anymore...

Well I can understand as an exclusive standpoint, he is correct. The Wii U as of right now compared to the launch lineup of next gen system has better exclusives. However him to say meh is just a joke. PS4/X1 lineup is far from meh. Its packed full of great games. Sure they are multiplatform, or also on previous gen systems as well. But fact is they are still quality games.

Nintendo are hard headed. Ive said this time and time again. They have a vision but that vision is not what gamers vision. Nintendo is about exclusive games played in a unique way that cant be experienced on other systems. If you see it like Nintendo does then Nintendo is doing a great job. But from a gamers standpoint they are disappointing us. Simply because the Wii U lacks games. Period. Doesn't matter what Nintendo wants its what us (gamers) want. Until they open their eyes and give the gamers what they want, then the games wont sell, the devs will skip the U and the less games there will be.

HardlyCapable13
08-29-2013, 05:36 PM
He said "We have Zelda."

Where is that on the U? And the one announced; isn't it just a reboot?

Also, WHERE THE SHIT IS METROID?!?!??!?!

FeelinKorny
08-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Personally Ive never been a Metroid fan so the lack of Metroid doesn't bother me. But I agree regarding the Zelda statement. Its not a real Wii U Zelda game. Its a tweaked and pumped up gamecube game. I still plan on buying it of course though. Im a sucker for Zelda. I think the guy is a moron. He is simply trying to defend his company but he needs to do a better job at it.

Borlaxx
08-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I will put it like this: if you're going to say the launch lineups for systems with superior tech are meh, you need to back that up with more than a couple exclusives on your own system that hardly anyone is interested in, most of which are reshashes of similar games you have been making for decades, when your system came out an entire year earlier. If he wants to compare, lets check with them after they have been out a year and compare to what U is offering after a year.

You know what was meh? The U launch lineup. If you're going to say games like Titanfall, Killzone, ect don't impress you (not to mention the 3rd party games that either will be far better on the systems or will not comr to U at all), then you look like a fool when your company had another side scrolling Mario and minigame collection.

I love Nintendo. I still enjoy their games. But while gamers have grown up, they haven't, and you can't really compete when you refuse to grow and adapt. And the days of a Mario, Zelda, or Metriod winning my attention over the likes of Uncharted, Elder Scrolls, or Fallout are gone.

Borlaxx
08-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Looking at my post above it could come across as bashing, but I don't mean it to be. I know there will be people who disagree and who find the games I love less enjoyable than games on the U. However, I know I'm not in the minority when I feel the U is going to fail if Nintendo doesn't wake up, and the more I hear from them and the longer it goes without more news on actually new games most people want to play, the more I'm convinced they are clueless or too prideful, and the angrier I get.

donhardeone
08-30-2013, 07:43 AM
I am a HUGE Nintendo (specifically Zelda) fan, and even a new crappy Zelda game would be enough to get me to purchase a WiiU...heck Skyward Sword was what had me hold on to my Wii as long as I did. The point is though, they aren't!!! They are rebooting one of my least favorite Zelda games to be HD. Wow, let me hold onto my shorts as I jump up in excitement! :bored: Like others above me, I can *kinda* see what they are talking about, but at the same time if you are going to tout those Nintendo exclusive games you need to churn them out. As a Nintendo fan, I only really need one or two decent excuses to piss off the wife and go grab a WiiU; the company has unfortunately failed to do so for me this time. There has been nothing new for Metroid in a long time (Other M shouldn't count), there has been no new Zelda for this console, I could go on forever. It's just sad really that as someone who wants them to win me over even if everyone else is jumping ship, that they just don't seem to give a crap anymore.

Danbo
08-30-2013, 09:19 AM
The original Zelda: A link to the past was the best Zelda IMO. Since then, the series hasn't been able to capture my attention. I guess I might have evolved, and I'm guessing I'M not the only one.

Zelda fans have become Elder Scrolls/Dragon Age/AC fans. Mario kart fans have become Forza/GTA fans. Gamers have evolved and have left Nintendo, who hasn't evolved in the same way, in the dust. If Nintendo didn't have the basic call of duty games they offered in the past 5 years, I would neither have a Wii, or a Wii U at this time. And can we all agree that Nintendo aren't responsible for those games?

That being said, I am selling my Wii U. 200$. Its white (ugh), comes with COD:BO2/AC3/Nintendo Land and the pro controller (the one that looks like the 360 controller)

Major Stains
09-07-2013, 02:03 AM
That being said, I am selling my Wii U. 200$. Its white (ugh), comes with COD:BO2/AC3/Nintendo Land and the pro controller (the one that looks like the 360 controller)

Sorry to see you go Danbo. Had some good times, and hope for more in the future.

$200 eh? Will you except Nintendo Happy Stars as currency instead??

*Edit. Reggie needs a fork in the eye, along with the current team of delusional Nintendo staff. They not only dropped the ball, but then ol' Reg sat on it and lost it up his ass along with 70% of potential buyers.
The death toll rang a while back for the Wii U, and even a few promising titles in 2014 can't save it now!

Major Stains
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Disclaimer-This is not a fanboy rant
(It's just a boring long-ass post!)

What can be said about Nintendo that hasn't already been analysed, dissected, and shouted from the rooftops already? (quite a lot by the looks of it! Lol)

Background fluff

I'll make my standpoint clear. I like Nintendo, they are like your slightly mad Aunt.
Always a little unpredictable, but great fun nevertheless.
Nintendo and I have had an on off relationship for the past thirty years.
Beginning with the Game and Watch handhelds in the early 80's, it was the beginning of a long road that would see me venture off to other game systems.
In the early 90's my time on the much loved 16-bit, 4th gen SNES was brutally cut short by my abandonment for a loveable Hedgehog on the Sega Mega Drive.
For a short time I owned a Gameboy Pocket, but that was soon sold on to help pay for something that would drive Nintendo out of my gaming life for the next 16 years.

Sony stepped in with the PS1, and subsequently the PS2. Which both had me fully hooked for that entire period. I never bought into Sonys limited online capabilities, but their local multiplayer and single player titles were all I wanted.

Then one day, my wife gave me a surprise present. The Wii.
I scoffed at the novelty of it. But soon enough I was hooked.
Online Mario Kart with friends was a blast, Wii Sports was fun and so much more advanced than any Sony peripherals I had at the time.
But the icing on the cake was the introduction of online FPS, with Call of Duty World at War. It introduced me to two of my favourite things in gaming to this day.
Firstly was the utilising of the motion controls, to create the 'point and shoot' that you either love or hate, it just happened I loved it.
Secondly, and more importantly, the online gaming was a blast. It's how I joined such a great clan and met so many great people.
After a year or two, the peak of the Wii's capabilities had been met.
And it soon became apparent that further support from developers was falling away.
There wasn't a shortage of games for the Wii, there was just a shortage of good games! The community began to separate.

As the name suggests, the casuals just slipped back to where they came from.
The hardcore fans yearned for more, and accepted whatever came their way.
And the core majority moved on to the other leaders on the Highstreet.
The XBox 360 was now building momentum, as was the PS3.
Both companies had stepped up their game, both with software development and online interaction. Nintendo just sat back and rode out the wave of success that sales bought.
Don't believe everything you read about the Wii being a fluke. In my opinion it was a calculated risk that paid off dividends for Nintendo. But ultimately it was a business model that couldn't be repeated.

The change in tide

This was the time Nintendo should have really kicked things up a notch, and some of us started to believe that they were. With a hugely successful home console under their belt, they had 6 years to come up with the next big thing.
Yes, 6 years of focused development.
They could see how Microsoft and Sony were using their online services, they could see what the public were asking for. It had to be a solid bit of kit, it had to be HD.
That much was obvious. But more importantly it had to have the games to back it up. Obviously there would be the old faithfuls. Mario, tick. Zelda, tick. Pikmin, etc etc. But what about the third party developers? What about the blockbusters?
6 years to seduce the developers and craft some extraordinary games for their new console. Possible? Yes. Probable? Hmmmm.

What follows still remains a mystery to us mortals and armchair commentators.
Several things we do know...
A shift of power a few years back within Nintendo, took any Western control away from the big decisions. Everything comes from Kyoto with a few glorified PR men running NOA and NOE. All long standing relationships with some big developers crumbled and the trust was gone.
As the launch of Nintendo's next generation console drew nearer, there was a building surge of underwhelming discourse. Snide remarks from developers leaked, rumours of poor specs surfaced, it was hard to work with, the list went on.
Then Nintendo stepped up with one of the most piss poor console launches in gaming history. Advertising was virtually non-existent. There was no clear definition as to what the new machine was/ is/ does. Launch titles were few and far between.
Nintendo faltered with no clear message, and the media happily tore them apart like pack dogs. And in fairness, Nintendo deserved it. Unit sales were poor heading into the first year holidays, and further lack of marketing gave the public no more clues as to what they were being asked to buy.
With Sony and Microsoft opening their stalls the following year, most consumers were sitting on their hands and waiting it out.
Year one, gave Nintendo fans very little in terms of software. And media negativity added fuel to the flame. It would take a late charge for Nintendo to recover from this one.

From my personal experience though, I thought it was great upgrade.
It was no powerhouse, but it certainly ticked all the boxes for our family.
It was all I could expect from Nintendo. A unique, fun, family orientated console.
Yes, in my heart of hearts I was hoping they would pull out a clutch of AAA titles with developers falling over themselves to work with the big N.
But as I said earlier, I think there must be more than meets the eye than just a console that is 'a little bit tricky' to work with. Nintendo has upset some people and game wise, we were going to get what we were given. (Again)

The turn of the blade

So heading into year two of the Wii U, you would think the games would be flying out of the door. Set to go up against the console behemoth's, the PS4 and the XBoxOne.
From an outsiders point of view I watched and waited to see how Nintendo would parry their old foes riposte.
Ok. Good, a slow build of advertising. New bundles, lower prices. This is good.
Backed up by the news that Nintendo's handheld division is destroying the field.
This is alright. Slow and steady wins the race as they say. Then all of a sudden...
What's this? The President of the company is gibbering on about some outrageously overinflated sales forecasts...WTF???
They are never going to be met. No way. Never.
And sure enough. As time passes on, Nintendo yet again have to explain to the baying wolves, why they are failing so bad. And that they should give up and sell their soul to the mobile marketplace.

Yes, the Wii U is selling badly. But why draw attention to the fact by coming out with ludicrous claims of a miracle turn around?
They could have kept their head down. Just worked on a continued marketing strategy, made some killer games, and they would have steadily plodded along for the next 5 years. Riding a small wave of nostalgia.
They wouldn't win this generations console war, but they certainly wouldn't have been the laughing stock of the community.
These guys are determined to sink Nintendo for some baffling reason.
It goes without saying that there is too much negative press surrounding the Wii U, for any chance of a full recovery.
It seems that gamers have long memories.
Sony fanboys are always quick to remind their MS friends about the ring of death that plagued the early 360; and likewise the MS fanboys are always there to mention the PSN hacking scandal in return. But Nintendo can be proud of achieving one thing with its latest console, they have united two armies of fan bases with a common goal of constant ridicule and belittling behaviour towards the new red-headed stepchild on the block.
So it's time to sit back and watch them turn on the new rumours of Nintendo's rumoured project 'Fusion' (sounds like a razor!), and history repeats itself yet again.

Their bodies are ready

So in summary, if you have made it this far, wow! Well done for reading all that crap.
But I finish with some resounding advice for the powers that be in Nintendo HQ.
Satoru Iwata and his PR goons have to go, they are sinking part of gaming heritage, and must wake up and smell the coffee. Time for new blood.
As Retro would say "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!"

(PS just to mention for those that don't know me, I did succumb to a PS4 last year. But I am very glad that I kept hold of the Wii U. I have had countless hours of enjoyment on it. My kids just love it. It offers a refreshing change of pace and play style to the PS4. And all in all gives me a more rounded gaming experience. I would honestly give both consoles 9/10 for the enjoyment I've had from them so far.)

Law
01-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Wow, great post, Stains!
Well, I'm holding on to hope for the U and the one thing that sets it apart: motion control.
I only play one game, FPS. There is nothing better than point and shoot, and this argument has been hashed out plenty. Game-playability always trumps graphics, but now Nintendo has both.
If it does go by the wayside, I will at least have two good HD games I can point and shoot for a couple more years of enjoyment. Thankfully, when the next great online FPS is announced and the Wii U is not part of it, I'll get to practice my dual analogs on the game pad!