PDA

View Full Version : My Ghostly review of Ghost MP

FeelinKorny
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Ghost, the name fits perfectly. A ghost of its former self. What was once an amazing thriving series, has finally met death and lays 6 feet under. I wouldn't say Ghost is a "bad" game. But id easily say its the worst Call of Duty. The biggest problem is the identity the game tries to have. It stays to familiar while attempting to change to something its not.

Small maps, lone wolfing and simplistic instant gratification were fundamental keys to COD. Ghost attempts to match its competition (Battlefield) but instead hurts itself. Bigger maps that result in spending more time trying to find a enemy. (don't get me started on the increase in camping) Thus killing one of the best additions to Ghost. The game mode Cranked. After getting a kill you have 30 seconds to get another kill (or assist in a kill) to be rewarded more time. If time runs out you explode. This mode screams Call of Duty. However with the bigger maps 30 seconds (seems like a lot of time) is not enough time to give a player a fair chance. Ive died more then my fair share due to not being able to even find an enemy.

Lone wolfing, sure you can still do it. However the perks (msat?) require team work or at least a fairly useful team to be of any use. Gone is the UAV. Now you get to plant something on the ground that relays info. The more of these that are laid down (by your team) the better info your given on enemy location. I love the idea. If it was for Battlefield.

The perk system, unlock system, leveling up system and squad point system. A mash together of past COD games in an attempt to create a simple yet in depth system. Results into a confusing, difficult and sometimes pointless system. Now not only do you need to reach a certain level to unlock a gun. But you need to gain squad points to buy the guns. Trust me on this, your going to spend those squad points faster then you think and you WILL regret spending them on weapons/attachments at some point or another.

Not level 40 for a perk you want? That's ok. Spend 3x the amount of squad points and you can unlock it early. Basically the squad points feel broken. It takes to long to earn them. Its to quick to spend them. They kill any "depth" the game tries to create. Why use a specific weapon and try to earn its attachments when you can simply buy them at any point in time (assuming you have the squad points). The squad points system to me was meant to be more of a "grind" to add depth. To take longer to unlock and buy ect ect. But given the fact you can buy anything at any point in time, if your at the correct level or not, kills the point.

Back to the maps. They suck. Period. Of the 6-7 maps Ive played theres 1 I like. The maps are to big and way to boring. Modes have been removed from online. No more headquarters, no more capture the flag and no more search and destroy. But there is a search and rescue game mode (lol). Cranked is easily the best new mode added but as stated earlier is ruined by the games flaws.

Spawn points may be the worst in the series as well. Times Ive spawned in the middle of nowhere with no clue as to where the action is at. Times ives spawned with my team. Times Ive spawned with an enemy at my back. Best of all, spawning in the middle of an entire enemy team. Core mode kills come quickly. Id swear I was playing hardcore if I personally didn't just select core. Personally doesn't bother me to much as I play Hardcore mostly anyway.

Overall Id give the game a 6/10. Its not a bad game. It can provide its fun. But the game shows the COD series is beating a dead horse. There is not enough new and the same ol same ol is just, boring. BF4 easily blows this game of the water. The worst part of all, after playing Ghost and going back to BF4 I almost wanted to cry. Somehow after playing Ghost I cant enjoy BF4 as much as I once did. Hard to explain.

Id say pass on this. Both current gen and next gen. Hopefully TitanFall (sorry sony ponies) can give us back that COD crave we now itch for. Forget about this release folks. Let it be the ghost it is. Don't let it haunt you.

* Id like to add a few things. The extinction mode (that replaces Zombies) is a fun mode. However it is of course worse then zombies. So I cannot count it as a positive. There is also a Squad mode which I have not touched yet. I do plan to do so tonight. This mode may also help curve the slow squad points system IF you do earn squad points that you can use in the normal MP as well. Ill find out. However I do still stand at a 6/10 for the game.

HB721
11-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Modes have been removed from online. No more headquarters, no more capture the flag and no more search and destroy.

No shit? Who thought that was a good idea?

HardlyCapable13
11-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Somehow after playing Ghost I cant enjoy BF4 as much as I once did.

I've got to admit, this is the oddest comment I've seen in a long time.

Danbo
11-08-2013, 08:54 AM
The worst part of all, after playing Ghost and going back to BF4 I almost wanted to cry. Somehow after playing Ghost I cant enjoy BF4 as much as I once did. Hard to explain.

So recap: you wasted money on Ghosts, which you don't like at all it seems; money you could have put on your PS4 (am I rubbing it in? maybe :P) :ban: + you don't like BF as much. It's a LOSE-LOSE-LOSE... I offer you my sincere condolences...

FeelinKorny
11-08-2013, 05:29 PM
So recap: you wasted money on Ghosts, which you don't like at all it seems; money you could have put on your PS4 (am I rubbing it in? maybe :P) :ban: + you don't like BF as much. It's a LOSE-LOSE-LOSE... I offer you my sincere condolences...
I do in fact regret buying Ghost now. ESPECIALLY since I just got an unexpected check in the mail. Thus would of helped push me towards my PS4. So I am expecting to get a PS4 but not on day 1. The next round of shipments I do expect to get one.

HB721
11-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I still don't understand why you don't like BF4 now. I am confused Korny.

FeelinKorny
11-08-2013, 09:05 PM
I still don't understand why you don't like BF4 now. I am confused Korny.

Oh I love BF4. I just cant enjoy it as much. Maybe its because Im so upset with Ghost that even while playing BF4 I cant help but think that maybe if I play Ghost more it would start to grow on me. Thus making me not want to play Bf4. I think ill give Ghost a couple more days so I didn't completely throw away $60. Even better is I purchased it digitally so I can sell it. LOL!!!!!!!!!

SouthtownSlayer
11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I tried it and glad it wasn't my copy of the game, I may jump into it every once in a blue moon but definitely glad I didn't waste my money on this game.

KicksOnRoute66
11-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Where do I start , I'm a Battlefield fan boy and have been since Bad Company 1 .
I find it hard to get to grips with B4 because it seems like an un finished game or a at Beta stage still, I know they've with held a hell of a lot of content and graphic quality for the new console but it feels half baked at best .
My friend who is a C.O.D fan boy told me about some of the game play on Ghost so with his recommendation ringing in my ears off I went to the shop and picked up a copy got home and loaded it up not thinking for one minute it would grab me by the balls and shake me "I FOOKING LOVE IT" Right this is a stand point from a seasoned Battlefield player , the map sizes are perfect, lots of corners and camping is yes I'll admit it going on left right and center but alas that is a fact of war , why should people with a lower skill base run around and be gun fodder to the uber twitchy mob. I spend a few minutes in one place get 2 kills then ship out not moving more than one building at a time clearing then moving on , if your having problems with corner campers change up your style of play .
The load out system is very clever and gives every one a good stab at everything regardless of skill plus the points system allows you not to get to complacent with your choices and makes you think long and hard about all aspects of your personal game play . The graphic quality while not mind blowing is complete and adequate for the job , the game play is smooth and easy to get your head around .
I only really play hard core so you can imagine my disappointment with B4 and my joy with Ghost. Ghost's core game play is more hard core than B4 core play ...If that makes sense plus the hard core element is really hard core and not for the faint hearted ! I played B4 from release and never came top of the leader board plus had some really bad issues and still do but from day one in Ghost I was right up the leader board and have a few times topped the leader board .
This is in no small part due to the way I'dd go about playing B4 so for me a hardened Battlefield fan boy this step towards a more battlefield type of experience is awesome in all the right ways and if this is a pre PS4 version I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on the PS4 but alas I'm going to wait until March just before the date runs out to take your stats over from PS3 to PS4 !!

black powder
11-12-2013, 06:52 AM
No shit? Who thought that was a good idea?

no more search and destroy...definitely not for me then, thinking about selling the U and xbox anyways, keeping the old wii for any fixes I might need and the kid still plays the Ps2, without S&D I will skip this game all together.

Major Stains
11-12-2013, 07:14 AM
no more search and destroy...definitely not for me then, thinking about selling the U and xbox anyways, keeping the old wii for any fixes I might need and the kid still plays the Ps2, without S&D I will skip this game all together.

Shame we won't see you out there Powder.
I (surprise, surprise) caved in and bought it, and although there are still big connection issues, I'm not regretting the purchase one little bit.
The spawns are hell, but that works both ways. The maps are big enough to utilise all styles of gameplay, and in terms of content Treyarch has done a pretty solid job porting this one over to the Wii U.

If it's Search and Destroy you want, the new mode Search and Rescue might be up your street. It's basically S&D crossed with KC, if you don't get the tags of fallen enemy, then the enemy can get them instead.

But from the sounds of it, you sound pretty done with gaming for the time being, if you are selling both consoles. Better get your ass out on the golf course and get that handicap down to single figures!

Hope all is well with you and the kid. See you on the other side.

Major Stains
11-12-2013, 07:24 AM
@ KicksOnRoute.
Glad to read a positive experience about gaming.
The internet seems awash with so much flaming at the moment, it's almost enough to make me want to stop reading anything online.

I agree the core does feel like hardcore and hardcore is just another story.
But I won't be able to compare with the BF series until I pop my cherry in the New Year.
That in itself is filling me with nerves as I am going in a total virgin with the gameplay and the controller. But all fun at the end of the day.
Look forward to seeing you on the PS4.

I'm hoping the few gripes I have with Ghosts will be resolved with a patch, but I won't hold my breath.
The balance between maps and gameplay styles seems fair.
Everyone is bitching about camping, but that's what happens on new maps, people get nervous and creep around.
And it's basic physics, camping breeds camping. Nobody goes on a charge when they know that death is waiting for them in the shadows!

The maps are good in my opinion. I'm loving Stonehaven.
Although I've never seen a Castle without a giftshop and an overpriced café!

Major Stains
11-16-2013, 05:44 PM

They must have listen to you buddy, as they patched it in two days later. No excuses now!

The Gator
11-16-2013, 05:55 PM
@ KicksOnRoute.

The maps are good in my opinion. I'm loving Stonehaven.
Although I've never seen a Castle without a giftshop and an overpriced café!
Thats funny!

reckbates
01-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Nice review good to read