Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Union

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Damn, I was sure I removed it, must of left it the second time I pasted the link....thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadChaos For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (06-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Not looking so good for Eddie's Lions
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks

Study calling for tackling ban in school rugby

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Professor Allyson Pollock, from Newcastle University, has urged the UK's chief medical officers (CMOs) to remove contact from the school game.

But the sport's governing body say her conclusions are "simply not supported by the data".

Pollock and Graham Kirkwood, also from Newcastle University, said that government had "a duty to protect children from risks of injury and to ensure safety of children" under a United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Their analysis found that rugby had the highest concussion rates in children - 4.18 concussions per 1,000 athlete exposures - compared to 1.2 for ice hockey and 0.53 for American football.
    Scrum down here for more...

My 13yo plays rugby for school; he wears a scrum cap and the coaches are quite aware of the dangers of concussion. Yes there are still injuries, but no I will not stop him playing even though there is a risk.
    A boy at my 10yo's school got concussion playing tig / it / tag (whatever you happen to call it) in the playground - do we ban that?
    One of my eldest's rugby team mates got concussion from falling off a wall while watching rugby - do we ban sitting on walls?

Plus anyone that quotes a UN convention like that to back up their study deserves to be ignored.
    -Charlie

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (09-27-2017)

Thanks
    If they remove contact then they might as well stop rugby all together. The UN comment is just a massive joke and suggests she should steer clear of anything rugby related.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadChaos For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (09-27-2017)

Thanks
    They'd have to drop the Rugby from the Rugby Football - who'd want to watch like that?
    -Charlie

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,238 Times in 2,423 Posts
    There used to be far more contact when I was at school, but it appears the teachers aren't allowed to do that anymore so that can only be a good thing.

Not sure where I stand on it, bearing in mind my sons teacher died only several years ago from concussion playing the game.
    I guess it should fall to the parents whether they permit their kids to play full contact rugby at a young age or not.
    Tag rugby is a big thing now and I guess there are plenty of clubs around for the full contact version if kids are that keen.

At the end of the day, kids get injured. My youngest always comes back covered in bruises and even broke his arm at school.
    But that was for acting like a total bellend in the playground, so theres no accounting for that!
    Wrap em up in cotton wool and they'd still find a way to cut themselves on the edges.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (09-27-2017)

Norway. That's the cold, windy place next to Sweden.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,197 Posts
    I know where I stand on it. If you wanna put on a team jersey and headbutt someone on a grassy field, the wear a helmet. Concussion is very dangerous and even deadly, and not worth it just to entertain other people. That goes for MMA, boxing, even football for that matter - where players fall like feathers blown to the ground from the lightest touch on their leg, but will happily jump into a duel with both elbows out ready to knock out the competition.

I guess I don't mind sports being dangerous. It's the pretending it isn't that gets on my nerves. Let the players - and more importantly the parents of kids being introduced to these sports - know the risk up front.

Thanks
    I'd forgotten about that Stains. Apologies for dredging up that bad memory.

I agree with Grrowl that proper precautions should be taken. Our Ben has to wear a scrum cap.
    -Charlie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (09-28-2017)

Thanks
    Here's the debate on GMB.

http://youtu.be/gRwaQs7CnNc

Thanks
    Bloody hell, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Piers Morgan.
    -Charlie

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast