Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: The Witcher 3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 754 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    The Netflix series will be based on the books and not the games. I think people hoping that it will be like the games may be disappointed.
    Hmm, I guess it would depend on what they liked about the games. I read the original short stories after playing the first game and felt they were pretty close. They used events of the stories here and there, and seemed pretty true to the characters, ideas, and tone. I guess the games are all supposed to take place after the books though, and the devs used the handy device of Geralt's amnesia to their advantage.

Honestly, if anything I've felt that Witcher 3 is itself a huge departure from the previous games. The first 2 games were closely connected, and seemed to use the whole amnesia thing to allow them to depart from the books, and not require any knowledge of the stories or characters on part of the player. Then, in 3, you're suddenly expected to care more about Yennefer and Ciri, who weren't in the first games, but I guess appear heavily in the books, than about Triss, Dandelion, and Zoltan, who have been with you all along in the games.

I guess though, that some of the difference with 3 comes down to its size. With such a big world and so many side quests, the story seems to me to be much more diluted, as well as mixed up in all the sub-plots and side stories. 1 and 2 were pretty straightforward with a main plot you generally always felt you were involved in. In 3 I often forget what's going on or what the main point is as I wander off to help Triss, play some Gwent, kill monsters, or assist Dandelion with his new 'nightclub'. I guess I'm only somewhere in the 20s in level, and have barely stepped into Skellige, but so far, if the "Wild Hunt" wasn't the subtitle of the game, I'd forget about them beyond their part in the earlier games.

Personally, I can't imagine that new stories of Geralt's adventures could be disappointing in any form, unless horribly written or casted, but that's just me. This is one of my favorite game series, worlds, and characters. I'll take more Witcher anytime.

Thanks
    The Netflix series will be based on the books and not the games. I think people hoping that it will be like the games may be disappointed.
    You mean there won't be flower-picking and crafting in the show?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (05-18-2017), Gink (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    You mean there won't be flower-picking and crafting in the show?
    I'm sure they will have some companion app that allows you to do that while watching.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (05-19-2017), HardlyCapable13 (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 724 Posts
    I wander how much nakedness will be in the show.

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 754 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post
    I wander how much nakedness will be in the show.
    Well, Netflix doesn't seem too shy about nudity in their shows. I'm not sure Geralt is *quite* as much of a player in the books as you get the chance to make him in the games, but there are still numerous encounters and he seems to have "old friends" he runs into all over the place. So, if we're lucky they'll do justice to his many conquests.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,044 Posts
    I'm sure they will have some companion app that allows you to do that while watching.
    Consoles I've had the pleasure of owning.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

Thanks
    Change "parents" to "wife" or "kid" and this becomes accurate for me.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (05-20-2017), Gink (05-19-2017), Retro (05-19-2017), Spike Forehand (05-19-2017)

Thanks
    I think I have to be near the end of this game now. Been fighting the Wild Hunt a lot. Since I'm now addicted to the game I'm thinking about getting the DLC. Anyone here played it? I've heard good things :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadnos316 View Post
    I think I have to be near the end of this game now. Been fighting the Wild Hunt a lot. Since I'm now addicted to the game I'm thinking about getting the DLC. Anyone here played it? I've heard good things :-)
    The DLC is very good and well made. Still one of my all time favorite games, just restarted not too long ago and am addicted again (though DiRT 4 pulled me away temporarily).
    Consoles I've had the pleasure of owning.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17