Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total War

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,025 Posts

Total War

Total War: Warhammer

I am really looking forward to this - I've still got boxes of the table top figures that I occasionally dust off and use in games with the kids. I might even be able to get a couple of non-video-gaming friends to play this online, when they see this.

Gink said he might get hold of the Humble Bundle for Total War, and I've got some of the older TW games. Anyone else interested in playing these?
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Gink (09-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    Total War: Warhammer

I am really looking forward to this - I've still got boxes of the table top figures that I occasionally dust off and use in games with the kids. I might even be able to get a couple of non-video-gaming friends to play this online, when they see this.

Gink said he might get hold of the Humble Bundle for Total War, and I've got some of the older TW games. Anyone else interested in playing these?
    Wow, that looks like a blast. I still haven't gotten a chance to dive into any of the games from the bundle and see what this franchise is all about. Not even sure where to start. Vikings? Samurai? Roman Legion? All sounds like fun, but the Warhammer looks amazing!

Thanks
    Do you have a favourite historical era? Best start there.

Mine was always Medieval (which in this game includes Vikings), but Ancient History (Rome) and Napoleanic history are also interesting.

You'd never guess I did History and Ancient History for my A-levels (pre-University exams) would you.
    -Charlie

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    I tried out the original Shogun last night. Partly for some Samurai action, partly because it was the smallest to download quickly and get going since it's so old.
    It was fun, but I will definitely check out one of the newer ones when I get a chance. The interface and controls were a bit too clunky to really enjoy, and there wasn't much in the way of instruction or explanation of a lot of things, even after going through the whole tutorial. I was pretty terrible at it, though most campaign battles still ended up with the enemy general running away, even when I was outnumbered, surrounded, and just waiting to get wiped out. I'm sure the AI has improved though.

I guess the Vikings: Battle for Ansgard or whatever it is called that was in the bundle isn't actually a total war game, so that's a bit disappointing, though it is referred to as an "overlooked and underrated" game of the time. I will probably check out Medieval next to get my Viking fix.

Most eras interest me for one reason or another, though I never studied history much so my knowledge is pretty limited and tends to come from books and movies and is probably at least half wrong.

I like how Shogun, and I imagine the other games in the series seems to focus a lot on tactics, formations, etc. Which makes the game a lot different than something like Age of Empires or Civilization. I was a bit surprised to find the Shogun Campaign required constructing buildings and troops though, since the tutorial only went over controlling troops and combat tactics. Was hoping the campaign would just be more like a battle to battle campaign, less of the resources and construction.
    Last edited by Gink; 09-24-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks
    Interesting. Medieval has the resource management / technology tree in the campaign. But nothing in the battle.

The tactical part of the game lifts this above your Warcraft / Command And Conquer style RTS games. Rushing headlong in to try to catch your opponent unawares doesn't work so well.

I remember various articles saying there is a definite rock paper scissors aspect to the game. Swords beat spears beat cavalry beat swords. While that does help, flanking, morale and reserves makes a huge difference too.
    -Charlie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    Interesting. Medieval has the resource management / technology tree in the campaign. But nothing in the battle.
    I will definitely check out Medieval then, the campaigns seem interesting, but while I often enjoy a good turn-based resource/diplomacy/building game, I'd rather just dive into some battles. I guess that's a game mode that was missing from the earliest titles.

The tactical part of the game lifts this above your Warcraft / Command And Conquer style RTS games. Rushing headlong in to try to catch your opponent unawares doesn't work so well.

I remember various articles saying there is a definite rock paper scissors aspect to the game. Swords beat spears beat cavalry beat swords. While that does help, flanking, morale and reserves makes a huge difference too.
    That much was clear even in Shogun. There were a lot of Sun Tzu quotes, but what seemed to matter most was matching troop types, holding the higher ground, etc. Archers beat Spears, Spears beat Horses, Horses beat Archers.

The "routing" mechanic was interesting. I can't remember another RTS where troops would eventually run away. I'm so used to them standing and fighting to the last man, even in an impossible situation. Pretty cool, though I couldn't really figure out the rhyme or reason of it. I ran off a larger army when I was sure I was toast, maybe because I was holding ground in a wooded area on top of a hill? I thought once the enemy got to the top of the hill with me the high ground wouldn't matter, but maybe the climb exhausted them too much to win the day.

The mechanics are obviously pretty complex, but left mostly unexplained. Definitely the type of game I will have to do some wiki reading on if I get very far into it.
    Leaving town for a few days, but hopefully will find the time to fire up Medieval next week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (09-26-2015)

Thanks
    Pre-ordered Warhammer because it isn't like already I have a huge backlog of games to play and no time play them, or anything
    -Charlie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Gink (05-14-2016)

Thanks
    86 out of 100 on Metacritic with 30 positive and 2 mixed reviews.

I'll post some stuff about it when it gets here.
    -Charlie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Gink (05-24-2016)

Thanks
    Finally, 2 years later, I've given TW:Warhammer a go and gotten pretty wrapped up in it, despite it being a game that has no qualms with making you feel like a total newb.

Playing the Dwarf campaign, second go at it. Started over after about 65 turns of my first shoddy attempt where I never made it out of my starting province. About 55 turns into this go, only hold 2 provinces, but grabbed and held the second one early which was a major boost to my economy.

Thought I was about to be toast 20 turns back with waaaghs hitting my neighbors. But had my south-east border safe by the fact that the Mutinous Gits don't hate me for some reason, and I refused numerous requests by the southern dwarfs to declare war on them. The greenskins had taken Varenka Hills from my neighbors to the west, and were now practically at the doorstep of Karaz-a-Karak, where their big boss was continually trying to assassinate my runemaster. My thane was unfortunately geared more towards hand to hand combat than espionage, but finally managed to wound their hero and put him out of commission for a bit. Unfortunately not before my newly recruited lord for my third army got wounded.

Unable to build the 3rd army for the time being, with the 2nd protecting Death Pass, I decided I'd step the High King's army out a bit and do some hit and run raiding to hopefully cause some unrest in Varenka Hills. Much to my chagrin, as soon as I stepped foot in the province. Grimgor Ironhide pounced on me, along with a 2nd smaller army. Fortunately the local greenskin waaagh didn't follow along. As it was, it was a vicious and bloody battle, fought tooth and nail. I was unable to kill Grimgore, but forced him into retreat. A Pyrrhic Victory, but possibly the tipping point in my campaign.

Grimgor retreated back to Varenka, the waaagh dissipated. I returned to Karaz-a-Karak, too bloodied to give chase.
    But Grimgor, having suffered defeat, was now faced with attrition, and his weakened armies took to the Underway, fleeing south towards the badlands, and within reach of my well rested 2nd army garrisoned at Iron Rock.
    In the Underway I fought a battle on two fronts, Grimgor ahead, while his reinforcing army was approaching from behind. I received allied reinforcements from Barak Varr, who Grimgor steamrolled, but who bought me enough time to chase off the army at my rear, turn the cannons, reinforce the front lines, and decimate his remaining army. A decisive victory, though again, I was unable to kill Grimgor before he turned tail and ran.

But now Grimgor's armies were shattered. My 2nd had taken only light casualties, and my 1st was quickly recuperating. Grimgor's reinforcements had run west, into territory held by the Vampire Counts, and would find no friends there.
    Grimgor tried again to sneak south towards sanctuary, but was intercepted in the Underway and now so depleted, he and his force were destroyed entirely. A few turns later, his reinforcing army tried the slip back through as well, and met the same fate.

I now moved my 2 armies to return Varenka Hills to the rightful rule of the dwarves. Not understanding siege warfare at all, I foolishly rushed in headlong, and took more casualties than I would have had I brought siege equipment. But with Miners crashing the gates, cannons railing their towers, and hordes of Dwarf Warriors scaling the walls, it was only a matter of time and perseverance.

Of course, as a side-effect of my alliance with Barak-Varr, I now face a new threat. When I quit for the night last night, I was about to face my first battle against the Beastmen of the Jagged-Horn Tribe, having declared war on them in support of my ally.

I'm slowly getting better at managing troops, but have mostly developed a strategy that probably only works well with Dwarves, and basically amounts to 'Come at me Bro!'. Strong lines that always keep the flanks, artillery, and ranged units protected. Try to get high ground, don't move if at all possible. Build a wall of infantry then fling stuff over it.

Fun, but definitely challenging game that takes time to learn and a pretty big time investment to play. And of course it's one of those 'just one more turn' games that can cause you to lose track of time and sacrifice sleep.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gink View Post
    Finally, 2 years later, I've given TW:Warhammer a go and gotten pretty wrapped up in it, despite it being a game that has no qualms with making you feel like a total newb.

I haven't played for about a year but really enjoyed it when I did. Reminded me of my Warhammer tabletop gaming days; I kept all the figures in the hopes that my boys would be interested, but it is all about video games for them. My faves were always Chaos Warriors, but I haven't played as them yet in TW:Warhammer.

My first campaign was as Orcs and boy was that hard going - constantly fighting with neighbouring orcs, rampaging stunties and sometimes your own troops! Definitely expanded too fast with that campaign and overreached myself so from a strong looking position (lots of land) I got pummelled into the ground within a few rounds.

My next (and ongoing) campaign, I decided to start as humans, because that is meant to be an easier campaign. Spent a lot of time building up my central region before gradually annexing local lands, or rushing in as a last minute saviour for my neighbours - and then annexing their lands. The Empire is quite big now and we are just seeing signs of activity from the Chaotic North. I even developed a strategy to convert certain towns into factories for certain troops so that I could max out their stats.
    But the best thing of all with this campaign, is that all my leaders were named after people on this forum, so I used to send Retro to do battle with an Orc incursion, whilst SpikeForehand would be arranging a treaty with the Brettonians.

I must get back to this sometime. Shame Elves are only in TW:W2

Hey Gink, I can't remember but can you run a multiplayer campaign? If so, we could have an alliance of Dwarves and Chaos warriors
    -Charlie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast