Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 992 Posts
    Funnily enough, I have just last night ordered that laptop I mentioned above; the G751. Should be here tomorrow (when I happen to be "working at home") and it comes with a copy of Division (whenever that gets released).
    I look forward to hooking up with you guys, although you'll have to forgive my console based fat fingers!
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 806 Posts
    90% finished with my new PC build.

Built this mainly to replace my 5 year old laptop, and primarily for coding work, with the bonus of having a halfway decent PC gaming setup.
    Still waiting for GPU prices to return to normal, then will be upgrading that.

Current Hardware:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 core/16 thread currently @ stock 3.0GHz
    Mobo: Asus Strix B350-F Gaming
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 2GB
    PSU: Corsair TX650M Semi-Modular 80+ Gold
    HDD1: 256GB SSD Boot Drive (Dual Win10 / Manjaro Linux)
    HDD2: 1TB Storage Drive
    Monitors: Dual 24" LG IPS screens. Main Screen supports 75Hz and AMD Freesync
    Mice: Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball / Logitech G203 Prodigy Wired Gaming Mouse
    Keyboard: WASD Code 104-Key Mechanical w/ Cherry MX Blue switches.
    Headset: TB Earforce PX5 (old PS3 headset, still sound great!)
    Gamepad: Steam Controller

Obviously the GPU is the current bottleneck/weak link. Look forward to remedying that with an upgrade to an RX 580.
    Some of the parts are overkill, others are fairly budget oriented. I built with a combination of an eye to longevity as well as plans for future upgrades, and picked up most of the parts over the course of a month or so of watching sales.

I already know I want to add more / bigger SSD drives. The speed and silence are pretty appealing, and having 2 x Operating Systems + drivers and a few key apps only leaves space for 1 or 2 favorite games. The motherboard has an M.2 NVME slot though, so I will definitely be adding one of the new super fast M.2 NVME drives when they've been around a bit longer and prices drop. Also need to run some network cable to my office, so I can ditch the silly WiFi antenna, get better speeds, and be able to use this baby to power the Steam Link in our media room.
    Want to do some more cosmetic work over time. The case is nice and allowed for great cable management, but oddly comes with the front panel wiring all completely visible. Plan to do some custom acrylic covers for that area, as well as the I/O area, and possibly something to pretty up the extra SSD drive mounts. Also cover the ADATA SSD with some vinyl.
    I've never been that much for case lighting, etc. But since so many components come with lights now, and I was building in a glass sided case, I may go ahead and take it further with an RGB strip or two to light things up a bit more.

Obviously I've put more work into the internal cable management of the build than I have in getting everything organized and tidied up on my desktop. Not sure why my desk drawer was open either... fountain pens, ink samples, glass guitar slide, picks... you can't have too many hobbies, right?

This build was a lot of fun, both to plan as well as to build. I've built a lot of PCs, but this was the first really nice one I've done for myself, and the first with a consideration towards aesthetics. 95% of past builds have been pretty standard budget office workstations. This really gave me a hankering to do more, but alas, can't find any great excuse to do builds like this on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Gink; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:46 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (3 Weeks Ago), GRRowl74 (3 Weeks Ago), Mogley45 (3 Weeks Ago), Retro (3 Weeks Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2